Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I will drink a beer or a shot or two just to not be a nerd unless im on something else but i really don't like how being drunk feels or being buzzed for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
booze has been there for me through every high and low in my life

i love you, booze

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Fair enough I take back my dig, but...

You do know you don't have to get completely hammered right? I've had alcoholic beverages since I was 14, there's been ups and downs but since 2015 I've decided to no longer have hang overs but just stopping by 1am and switching to water.

The main problem is people see drinking as an either don't at all or over do. Where as if you have in moderation and don't get completely shitfaced you usually end up having a good night that you can recall.

This coming from someone who more or less admits he's been a problem drinker.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Redkist posted:

This coming from someone who more or less admits he's been a problem drinker.

But I haven't more or less admitted nor am I a problem drinker :confused::confused:. If I have I'm not sure how it would have been possible...

Sorry if I hurt your feelings and now you're out to 'get' me :confused:

Enjoying some Jack Daniels whilst chilling at my ma's is fun though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how much do you have to drink to be a problem drinker

i have like 2 drinks every night probably, more on weekends depending where I am

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Enjoying some Jack Daniels whilst chilling at my ma's is fun though

One of the coolest things in life is enjoying alcohol with chill old ladies.

Old ladies have, to a one, all seen some poo poo and generally welcome any excuse to laugh and blow smoke.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Lets be honest here. Alcoholism is cool.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Monkey Fracas posted:

how much do you have to drink to be a problem drinker

i have like 2 drinks every night probably, more on weekends depending where I am

0 drinks = problem drinker

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Because I'm a severe alcoholic, and a one-day binge inevitably becomes a week and a half long bender.

i'm on my third monster margarita right now

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.
I like how this thread devolved into people giving actual reasons defensively, as if any drinker is actually berating people with liver problems lol. The people who are annoying are the ones who don't drink by choice but have no discernable reason and are condescending assholes about it. Literally no one is making fun of the guy whose drunk uncle beat him and so he doesn't drink lol.

E: at least I hope no one is. :ohdear:

PS: I drink a lot.

hopes
Apr 29, 2013
I don't getting fatter.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

odincode posted:

I like how this thread devolved into people giving actual reasons defensively, as if any drinker is actually berating people with liver problems lol. The people who are annoying are the ones who don't drink by choice but have no discernable reason and are condescending assholes about it. Literally no one is making fun of the guy whose drunk uncle beat him and so he doesn't drink lol.

Nothing defensive going on here nossir

I have a coworker who has been sober for a number of years. He's a really sharp guy and also kind of an rear end in a top hat.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If you have experience with any other mind altering chemicals you'll know how retarded alcohol is

If you have any knowledge of how mind altering chemicals work and their side effects you know that only alcohol and benzos will actually kill you from withdrawals alone

Its just the worst, dirtiest drug (except like robotripping or some poo poo I guess). It's really fun in middle school and high school but if you're a grown up you should try to maybe branch out a bit from baby's first intoxicant

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Lamebot posted:

Lets be honest here. Alcoholism is cool.

Agreed :cool:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

If you have experience with any other mind altering chemicals you'll know how retarded alcohol is

If you have any knowledge of how mind altering chemicals work and their side effects you know that only alcohol and benzos will actually kill you from withdrawals alone

Its just the worst, dirtiest drug (except like robotripping or some poo poo I guess). It's really fun in middle school and high school but if you're a grown up you should try to maybe branch out a bit from baby's first intoxicant

I have more fun eating 500mg of benadryl than getting really shitfaced on alcohol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What I don't get are people who seem offended if you don't drink and make a huge deal out of it, like it's some cult or fight club or what ever. I've known a wide variety of people and never was anyone made to feel uncomfortable for not drinking. If you're a weird awkward nerd or rear end in a top hat people will give you poo poo about that, sober or not. If someone has a good time at a party or what ever and doesn't drink no one even notices. If you're a super awkward straight edge dude terrified about "losing focus" and sit in the corner judging everyone and rolling your eyes at drunken fun, everyone's going to notice that and think you're a weirdo. Not because you don't drink but because you're a weirdo. Just like the one lady who takes a bunch of pills, drink way too much and cycles between crying and violence will absolutely be looked down on for being a damaged gently caress up.

At least the drunk gently caress up generates funny stories. No one talks about the hilarious time the dude in the baggy black dress shirt scoffed from the sofa at those poor weak fools who need intoxication to have a good time.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Did you serious type "True Human Experience"?? Like did you sit there and think "yeah, true human experience, that's a profound and not totally pompous thing to write." :psyduck:

This thread has gone from "why would you NOT drink alcohol" to "I don't drink because pour me".

heaven forbid someone express a sentiment using a phrase

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Ocean Book posted:

Yeah that guys a jerk.

He said he's been a long term drinker who has had his ups and downs (code for has had at the very least several black out nights) with drinking but SINCE 2015 he has vowed to never drink irresponsibly again. Textbook.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

odincode posted:

E: at least I hope no one is. :ohdear:

PS: I drink a lot.

Agreed.

Ocean Book posted:

On the somethingawful.com comedy forums? Yes.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

All this is true as well. And that guy trying to be smarmy like "haha sucks for u will control fag i get to enjoy JACK DANIELS at my moms house" really should try some other stuff and realize how boring alcohol is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Redkist posted:

All this is true as well. And that guy trying to be smarmy like "haha sucks for u will control fag i get to enjoy JACK DANIELS at my moms house" really should try some other stuff and realize how boring alcohol is.

That's a pretty mean thing to say. Why not enjoy a drink of whiskey with your mom? Why not tell people, this is good, and I enjoyed myself?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

That's a pretty mean thing to say. Why not enjoy a drink of whiskey with your mom? Why not tell people, this is good, and I enjoyed myself?

Redkist just has a hard on for me at the moment because I'm too cool for school.:henget:

My mum keeps saying oval office, it's kinda funny and is talking about ranting and saying "complete and utter bullshit" it's pretty fun, especially since I'm still in smart-casual mode. :banjo:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 12, 2015

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Moms are the best. Bless their hearts forever.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Cuz that's not what he did if you read the entire thread. You can remove anything from context and make it something else.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Moms are the best. Bless their hearts forever.

Mums are great! They gave birth to us or adopted us at least! And Dads are cool too!

Jack Daniels is also the best.

Redkist posted:

Cuz that's not what he did if you read the entire thread. You can remove anything from context and make it something else.

How's that rager, buddy?:henget:

Not trying to be smary, just talking about alcohol I'm having to keep the thread on topic. Sorry that you're projecting :(

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 12, 2015

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Wouldn't know mine died from alcohol which I only told you cuz you pryed and that compounded with my other reasons is still not reason enough for sobriety for you.

I just hate people that treat anyone for not drinking alcohol as weird as evidenced by this guy.

City of Tampa posted:

people that don't drink are weird and creepy. When someone says that they don't drink I wonder to myself "how many people did you kill in your DUI, creepo?" or "please don't try to scam me into coming to your church"

That's like treating everyone as weird cuz they don't also smoke weed. Or don't also smoke cigarettes. Or don't also play world of warcraft. Or don't also engage in casual sex. Just douchey to not live and let live especially with something as unarguably as dangerous and life destroying as alcohol.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Redkist posted:

I read everything; I just ignore the stuff that precludes my being nice to people. It's one weird trick GBS hates.

Also, the idea of someone chilling with their cussy mom and enjoying liquor is nice, and I wanted to be counted as an approver of it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Redkist posted:

Wouldn't know mine died from alcohol which I only told you cuz you pryed and that compounded with my other reasons is still not reason enough for sobriety for you.

I just hate people that treat anyone for not drinking alcohol as weird as evidenced by this guy.

That's like treating everyone as weird cuz they don't also smoke weed. Or don't also smoke cigarettes. Or don't also play world of warcraft. Or don't also engage in casual sex. Just douchey to not live and let live especially with something as unarguably as dangerous and life destroying as alcohol.

I'm sorry that you suffered such a loss because of alcohol. I honestly am.

Perhaps a thread where people are joking about reasons to drink is not good medicine for you.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
True, I'm just pretty disgusted by the pervading opinion of of if you don't drink you're a human being idiot with no self control or a church going baby bitch no matter where I see it though so I gave my thoughts. Then again like that guy said its the somethingawful comedy forums and being a big ol jerk is just for the laughs and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1E5ZO8Lug

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Redkist posted:

True, I'm just pretty disgusted by the pervading opinion of of if you don't drink you're a human being idiot with no self control or a church going baby bitch no matter where I see it though so I gave my thoughts. Then again like that guy said its the somethingawful comedy forums and being a big ol jerk is just for the laughs and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1E5ZO8Lug

SA made me into a jerk so...yeah this has kind of come full circle except I'll tell you that it made me a jerk compared to my experience where people just poo poo flanged instead . Sorry your mum died :(.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

"Satan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of God and from the prayer.  So, will you not then abstain?” (Quran 5:91)

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
It's all good, all I did was answer the question posed by the threads title. Glad to see people are mostly just messing around and not actually the jerks I thought them to be.

Again, I don't have any problem with anyone drinking, I haven't ruled it out for life, but I haven't done it in quite some time because of the aforementioned problems. I have a problem with people who get "weirded out" or actively hate on people for not drinking as if it's some default activity all human beings should do akin to breathing air though, that right there is just lovely.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
So what I'm discovering more and more in my forums time is that if someone makes a post longer than 3 medium sized paragraphs it's probably some hosed up retard poo poo that I'm better off not reading

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Redkist posted:

It's all good, all I did was answer the question posed by the threads title. Glad to see people are mostly just messing around and not actually the jerks I thought them to be.

Again, I don't have any problem with anyone drinking, I haven't ruled it out for life, but I haven't done it in quite some time because of the aforementioned problems. I have a problem with people who get "weirded out" or actively hate on people for not drinking as if it's some default activity all human beings should do akin to breathing air though, that right there is just lovely.

Sorry again, was playing up for the sake of this thread.

fanged wang posted:

So what I'm discovering more and more in my forums time is that if someone makes a post longer than 3 medium sized paragraphs it's probably some hosed up retard poo poo that I'm better off not reading

Well make you a goon yet.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Sorry again, was playing up for the sake of this thread.

Well make you a goon yet.

holy christ you are retarded

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Not drinking, I pity those without basic will power in general. We all fall, and sometimes picking yourself back up can be hard but you can do it. We all can.

I too pity those without the willpower to save some money for water instead of boozing it up on a layover.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Aredna posted:

I too pity those without the willpower to save some money for water instead of boozing it up on a layover.

layover drinking goes on the expense account fyi

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Visitation by a drunk is adventitious to say the least.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zeluth posted:

adventitious

You're drunk right now, what even is that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

just had a shower beer, not impressed

I mean I'm glad I had a shower beer but given the hype I don't know

• Locked thread