Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

i love that this thread doesnt know twat the gently caress "OVER RATED" means
Or how to spell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Car people are pretty insufferable tho tbf. Just look at these people itt getting super pedantic about BMW and Subaru's cylinder configurations :laugh:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

skander posted:

Or how to spell it.
why dont you take me to church!!!

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

thathonkey posted:

Car people are pretty insufferable tho tbf. Just look at these people itt getting super pedantic about BMW and Subaru's cylinder configurations :laugh:

It's fun to bullshit about cars, because you can be right or wrong or whatever, but it doesn't matter at the end of the day because it's just stupid loving metal boxes with exploding boxes inside them that make them go fast

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Dont get me wrong; i love cars they are undeniably cool and many even qualify as sexy

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
if you really want to feel intimate with a piece of machinery just ride a motorcycle cars are slower, much less involved and more insulated from the world

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Dave Concepcion posted:

hey speaking of acceleration, this thread sure turned gay pretty fast

It was born gay

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Literal Carehaver posted:

if you really want to feel intimate with a piece of machinery just ride a motorcycle cars are slower, much less involved and more insulated from the world

truth. as far as cars though, clutch is the best you can do.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Arian_Samurai posted:

"Hey, check out my new Nissan Juke. Pretty cool huh?"

"uhhh....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeCZe04p5V4
ill take this juke. if i win the lottery this is my first purchase.

Gorgar posted:

Overrated: Honda reliability. Mostly I drove Toyotas and they were dependable as hell. Neither Honda I had ran right pretty much ever. I know statistically they're good, but they're not getting a third chance.

Honda has been running off their reputation for almost 20 years now. Everything they produce is complete garbage, and all the good cars they made in the 80's and 90's have been ruined by teenagers and commuters who drive until the wheels fall off, with a few rare exceptions. If you've ever been into crx's, civics, e30's, e36's etc now's the time to buy one before they're all gone or hosed beyond repair. There's still a few surviving civic si fanboys out there, but holy poo poo that car is 5 years behind the times. Oh and their little halo car new NSX? Ford already topped it in one year.

quote:

...video of 600hp Porsche Carrera GT spinning out on a racetrack as warning of the trouble you can get into with a 122hp relatively docile car...

Speed wasn't the problem in that video, the point is that even the slightest over correction will flip around the front and back wheels in a mid engine car. Significanly more dangerous when you're driving a MR2 at 50mph on a trafficed highway than 150mph in a closed circuit. Wish I had my old phone's memory card, because I had some p good videos of an old lady in an MR2 crashing her car into the university of washington during some jahovas witness event :V
Nothing wrong with a porsche or supercar being mid engine but it's p dangerous when they end up in consumer cars that have depreciated so much that you can buy one on craigslist for $1000-5000.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 14, 2015

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

thathonkey posted:

:qq: bimmer not beamer :qq:

:cabot: :pipe:

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
ugh the juke

i mean i cant talk i think the soul looks neat

but seriously juke more like puke

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

ugh the juke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_2SIkG1ng

also

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 14, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

HEY VAPER posted:

Honda has been running off their reputation for almost 20 years now. Everything they produce is complete garbage, and all the good cars they made in the 80's and 90's have been ruined by teenagers and commuters who drive until the wheels fall off, with a few rare exceptions. If you've ever been into crx's, civics, e30's, e36's etc now's the time to buy one before they're all gone or hosed beyond repair. There's still a few surviving civic si fanboys out there, but holy poo poo that car is 5 years behind the times.

These were 80s Hondas. As far as I can tell, I got the two defective ones from that period, a Prelude and an Accord.

Rant about cheap MR2s: mine was $1500 for a 1987 somewhere around 1995. 150k on it and one quarter panel was primer. I loved the gently caress out of that car.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
car look like a squinting orca

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ugh the juke

when i was shopping for used cars a year or two ago I was thinking maybe an older Maxima would be nice and I went to a couple of Nissan lots and about 95% of their entire stock was Jukes not even kidding. they were pushing them hard on me and it is one of the most godawful ugly cars ever.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Custom Bugatti Red Peen

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

Mr. Popo posted:

Custom Bugatti Red Peen

gahahaha welp owned

like can you imagine the impotent rage of the richman upon returning to his chariot?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

gahahaha welp owned

like can you imagine the impotent rage of the richman upon returning to his chariot?

With cars like that, hosed up paint and scratches can actually significantly alter the aerodynamics of the vehicle, when moving at very high speeds of 200 mph+

That being said gently caress Veyrons they're ugly poo poo for assholes and they pretty much only exist to break a production car speed record that was beaten multiple times already

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

thathonkey posted:

when i was shopping for used cars a year or two ago I was thinking maybe an older Maxima would be nice and I went to a couple of Nissan lots and about 95% of their entire stock was Jukes not even kidding. they were pushing them hard on me and it is one of the most godawful ugly cars ever.

not only are they ugly but they have a CVT on a non-hybrid HOORAY :barf:

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Dodge Viper. Only worthwhile part of this broken-spined Guy Fieri of a car is the engine. Even that's debatable.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

more like annoyance, he can easily afford to replace/repaint that hood

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

No. 6 posted:

I've had an AWD VW it was LOL and a POS, like WTF I'd rather drive a WRX STI in DFW while posting on FB. HTH.

I C Wut U Did There

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

skander posted:

more like annoyance, he can easily afford to replace/repaint that hood

Heh on a car like that it would have to be replaced and it's not like you can hit the junkyard or ebay motors for one... Probably still cost a lot and would take a while to get fixed. Plus he had to drive home or whatever with dick hood. Worth it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

thathonkey posted:

Heh on a car like that it would have to be replaced and it's not like you can hit the junkyard or ebay motors for one... Probably still cost a lot and would take a while to get fixed. Plus he had to drive home or whatever with dick hood. Worth it.

http://jalopnik.com/someone-spray-painted-a-dick-on-the-hood-of-a-veyron-1644136756

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

HEY VAPER posted:

Honda has been running off their reputation for almost 20 years now. Everything they produce is complete garbage, and all the good cars they made in the 80's and 90's have been ruined by teenagers and commuters who drive until the wheels fall off, with a few rare exceptions. If you've ever been into crx's, civics, e30's, e36's etc now's the time to buy one before they're all gone or hosed beyond repair. There's still a few surviving civic si fanboys out there, but holy poo poo that car is 5 years behind the times. Oh and their little halo car new NSX? Ford already topped it in one year.

basic rule for Hondas is that if they don't rust in the rear fender/quarter panels then there are prob better cars to be considering that will cost less $$$...while also matching or exceeding the Honda's reputation for "reliability" that its been thriving off of for decades now. It's been mentioned already but the CR-Z was the moment when u knew all hope for their brand was lost as they had officially reached the point of no return straying so far from their original values. at this point they really arent much different from modern Toyota, and at least Toyota still makes decent trucks/SUVs.

everyone was so excited that Honda was making a successor to the CRX and then they hosed us with a hybrid powertrain inside of that awesome body design that had as much driving appeal as a Prius while lacking its practicality. at least the original Honda Insight which had the same profile as the CRX was quirky with a 3cyl engine, rear wheel covers, and even an avail manual transmission rather than the typical CVT.

plus this nonsense...lmao

car look like a squinting orca

Big billionaire boss of car dealership company that i worked for years back who constantly felt compelled to remind employees and the world how rich he was owned a Veyron in two tone black and white that I couldn't see past the fact that it bore a strong resemblance to Free Willy.

Mr. Popo posted:

Custom Bugatti Red Peen

sorry but loving with someone elses car is totally reprehensible especially if ur an adult over the age of 16. You just gotta say no, whether its some douchebag in an Audi or a basic bitch in a late model Civic tailgating and honking at u for going 25mph and obeying stop signs when ur just trying to make it home from work safely in the midst of a snowstorm while driving a car thats less than ideal for the conditions. if ur actually in a rush to be somewhere or if im holding up ur superior vehicle just flash me and ill gladly let u pass when its safe for the two of us.

The latter example happened recently and it did take some effort to ignore the temptation to go ahead with emptying the bottle of brake fluid stored in my trunk on their poo poo if they just so happened to turn into the walmart parking lot to go shopping but they didnt. As soon as they drove off pass me i realized that doing this would have been incredibly juvenile and unfulfilling. instead i took solace in the inevitability that they would eventually bring punishment on to themselves because of their bad driving.

Despite this, i will happily engage in certain passive aggressive behaviors behind the wheel like getting people tailgating me to absolutely drill huge potholes by me swerving to avoid them at the last second or blow past chickenshit people who completely stop on highway onramps using the shoulder to squeeze by.

On real special occasions when i feel like starting some poo poo and the set-up is just right i'll randomly hold down my horn (as if the light had already turned green) for a few seconds when stopped at a light in traffic - with the expectation being that the person in the lane beside me who has been staring down at their phone for the past two minutes nonstop will blindly hit the gas and then accelerate directly into the back of the dump truck parked <5 feet in front of them...who prob wont even notice the impact and will drive off when the light turns which will make things p exciting for the moron on their phone. i have zero empathy for ppl who use their phones behind the wheel (or tailgaters as well) and wish the worst for both of them...so they may consider my actions charity - and should be grateful that they are learning their lesson at 5mph instead of 75mph.

:cabot: :pipe:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 15, 2015

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Mitsubishi Lancers are basically the most overrated cars ever since only the very high end models have powerful engines while most of the mid and entry range ones have engines similar to any other compact cars. Your Lancer isnt faster than a loving Civic or a Corolla sit the gently caress down

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Athropos posted:

Mitsubishi Lancers are basically the most overrated cars ever since only the very high end models have powerful engines while most of the mid and entry range ones have engines similar to any other compact cars. Your Lancer isnt faster than a loving Civic or a Corolla sit the gently caress down

worse than any of that, they are mitsubishis, which is basically the japanese chrysler. which is to say, absolute mother loving dogshit that nobody in their right mind should ever even consider purchasing for any reason at all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Two tone cars almost always look loving terrible. Esp the veyron though no paint job could save it

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I like how many car spergs actually took the bait of this thread.

Good show, ole chap.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wowee, I had no idea a Juke could do that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if you've ever owned a bumpersticker of calvin pissing on a car logo you should probably cut off your tiny junk and put it in your butt

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
I was just thinking: Back the Future used a DeLorean for laughs; lol at this wacky Irish car as a time machine! If Fox ever decide to do a remake (and it must have crossed some executive's mind) what car would make a good time machine?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Trochanter posted:

I was just thinking: Back the Future used a DeLorean for laughs; lol at this wacky Irish car as a time machine! If Fox ever decide to do a remake (and it must have crossed some executive's mind) what car would make a good time machine?

Honda civic.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Hmm, not very wacky.

A Hyundai Veloster?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Popo posted:

Honda civic.

Pontiac Aztek

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Arian_Samurai posted:

Wowee, I had no idea a Juke could do that
you can make a race car out of anything

you think the badge on the front means a thing? until high level racing the formula for a fast car is pretty simple

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Tesla Roadster

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Trochanter posted:

Hmm, not very wacky.

A Hyundai Veloster?

its like the CRX's lazy, vicodin addicted son who still tries to appease his korean tiger mother by taking a couple community colege courses and continues to practices the cello.

still better than the CR-Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if we're just gonna post really heinous cars most early hybrids qualify but the Insight takes the cake, especially when equipped with those severely unfortunate rear wheel covers:

• Locked thread