Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Butt Wizard posted:

1) there is no other car where 'yea but you can put a way better engine in it' is a valid defence.

e28, e30, volvo 240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Butt Wizard posted:

So cars that at least don't look piss weak as well?

nah a car doesn't need to look fast to be cool, sleeper cars are cool as well. v8 in an old volvo rad as hell. miatas are actually p cool cars because they're light weight, rwd, some have factory LSD's, available in stick, and dead simpl to work on with dirt cheap parts. they look kinda gay but it's pretty much the car to own if you aren't married with kids and don't treat your car like an appliance.
e30 is the grown up miata, you pay more for european parts and it weighs a bit more, but you get a huge trunk, back seat, hard top, and one of the best looking cars ever made.
also being slow is a big part of the appeal to a miata and e30, they're light weight enough to drift at speeds that won't kill you if you stick to 14-15" wheels...

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

All I know is if its some white guy celebrity, or plastic surgeon, or trust fund kid that likes to pretend they're a race car driver totally wraps the entire loving frame around a tree/lightpost/tollbooth its always a god drat 911

good news, aw11 prices have hit rock bottom and even poors can buy a car that will actively try to kill them at the slightest driver error

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 13, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
if you don't think this is rad as hell just cut you're balls off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

a bone to pick posted:

this is loving amazing, I want to buy the shittiest looking electric car and smoke the wannabe nascar drivers in their Miatas.

lol if you think miata owners are stoplight racers, and lol if you think nascar watchers would ever buy a miata. the miata is literally the car you buy if you're a car enthusiast and don't care about how fast it is.
if you want to piss off honda civic boy racers and murican musclebos, go buy a rusted out brown volvo 240 wagon and put an ls1 out of a wrecked chevy truck into it
electric cars still handle like poo poo, sure there's a lot of downforce but at the end of the day you're throwing 5,000lbs of car and batteries around a corner. on the bright side, goddamn teslas have some serious freeway passing power.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 13, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Withnail posted:

if you drive any other kind of volkswagen, you are probably all right

counterpoint:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Harald posted:

why is automotive journalism so terrible??

ethics in automotive journalism

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

hollly poo poo theres so many people in this thread that just have no idea how cars work at all

people caring about 0-60 times lmao. literally the performance benchmark for people who want to launch from stoplights on public streets and no one else

i guess its fun for the g's

at least the v6 mustangs are good now

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

all the mustangs are not bad in 2015, but if you're not going to get a v8 you may as well get a fiesta st and have a more convenient car

the new shelby gt350 is going to be ridiculous

FiST and mustang aren't even remotely comparable cars. FWD, severely outdated rear suspension, significantly less aftermarket support totally different body style (why would you buy an mustang and keep it stock ever, it's a mediocre car with relatively cheap sky's the limit modification potential)

BigBoss posted:

Anything stick is a loving joke in 2015

Anything with an automatic, cvd, pdk is a joke since forever. The only real advantage to an automatic is that you can answer your phone while applying makeup while driving, in which case kill you'reself

Gorgar posted:

Maybe the supercharged ones, I guess. I don't know, never drove one. The regular ones were underpowered but fun. I wound up having to dodge some object on the highway (looked like a barrel, didn't see it clearly as it was just over a hill), went nearly sideways on the shoulder at highway speeds, and got it back under control.

Point being, it handled really well and I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

MR2 is not a deathtrap because of its speed. A NA is plenty enough to kill you. It's all about the fact that it's a mid engine car any chump can buy for $3000 and just about 0% of ai posters let alone average car buyers are capable of handling it.

1gnoirents posted:

if you think these are overrated you dont know much lol. there was never a car as solid and as capable as that one that ive owned or driven anyway. it left such an impression on me ill probably get another one

Post-05 wrx and sti's are a joke though but anyone poo poo talking the earlier models doesn't know anything about cars. US value and resale is overrated but the car itself isn't.

tetsuo posted:

is there an opinion on g37s or whatever infiniti is calling them now are they real bad?

Golds gym guy fieri haircut specials. Watered down skyline that looks like garbage. There'a a reason every g35/g37/350z/370z looks like poo poo less than a year off the lot. You can get MUCH nicer cars for the money.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

i aint say they're comparable. more like you may as well get a fun car instead of a mustang if it's going to have a v6. the fiesta's rear is like that because its fun, ya hater

go test drive a new v6 ecoboost mustang and tell me it's not fun as hell. Sorry but to me, any RWD car is going to be more fun than any FWD car. No hate for the fiesta but someone shopping for mustangs wouldn't like FiST's..

Stock the FiST is a little nicer, but $500 in chassis stiffening and the mustang straight up feels like a higher quality car than the FiST.

v6 ecoboost mustang is faster than the v8's from just a few years ago, with more low end torque and daily drivability... Just saying..

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
luckily for mustangs camaros etc, we're going to start seeing backup cams as a standard feature come 2016. Because holy poo poo mustangs and camaros are undrivable in their current state.

Might as well post the first actual over-rated cars in this thread

cool car but doriftu anime and boy races ruined enough of them that at the end of the day it's a shittier japanese e30 that costs twice as much for the sake of rarity

goes without saying, not bad cars but horribly overrated and overvalued. They're 1-2k tops if very clean and people regularly want 2-3x as much.

(any generation, payin over $100,000 to beta test broken bmw features in the name of luxury)

Any generation, all modern civics are garbage and all old ones are thrashed with $5000 asking prices. Early civics would be an exception if they were still cheap (underrated)

first gen drive and steer by wire in a lifeless sedan and horrible throttle response that looks good on paper, suckering people into buying them. Universally garbage tier.

All of these, also g35 g37 and 350z

Just this generation

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more... jetta, convertible bug (hard tops are acceptable because it's a glorified gti for $10k less)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I didn't know there's a v6 ecoboost mustang.. I don't think there is? That would actually be really cool. As far as I know it's just the 2.3l inline 4.

Also no one really cares about mustangs a few years ago.. Ford has been stepping up its game recently with the new economy cars, the new mustangs, the aluminum chassis on the f150, their supercar, and even that little open wheeler they made for giggles

Before that it was just heavy dodge poo poo and stuff like the z28 for the 'merica cars

Sorry, i4 turbo, which is still faster than the previous generations' v8's and a lot more fun to hoon on. Main/only real reason to get a GT nowdays is the sweet v8 exhaust note. Well worth the money to me :)

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Of course the mustang is higher quality a sportscar than the fiesta, the fiesta is an economy car you can have fun with. The mustang is a sports car with a modern suspension and rwd

With a tasteful level of options they both cost the same. Nothing against the FiST but it isn't as good of a car as the new mustangs. They're both good cars, just a weird comparison to make because as you said they're totally different cars. If you've never driven a mustang with proper chassis and subframe stiffening done you haven't actually driven a mustang tho.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Yeah I was being obnoxious because american muscle cars and v8s are kind of a pair. Kind of like how N/A v12s or sometimes v10s were the Italian supercar go-to. But with Ferrari boosting v8s I suppose we live in different times

Its this mentality why ford will never drop their horribly obsoltete lovely v8 from the mustang. A boosted v6 would be amazingly better.

Justin Tyme posted:

Why do goons always hate fun, cool things. It's okay to like things and think they are cool or neat, goons. You don't need to drive a piece of poo poo that has 200k miles on it just because you "don't care, just gets me from point a to b" and can afford something better which would be a more enjoyable driving experience.

I drive a car with 250,000 miles and it's a goddamn enjoyable driving experience with minimal upkeep, like seriously less $ per mile than a 90's camry. I literally don't understand the appeal of buying a mid 2000's honda/toyota shitbox when you can buy a e28 e34 e39 e36 m3 or even some m5's for the same price and cost of ownership.

(pic is my car, but not me. Sorry I didn't bother to detail the wheels..)

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

BigBoss posted:

Oh sweetie. You don't know anything about cars but you think that you do. It's ok.

angry 370 driver spotted

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Wendigee posted:

still not sure why the WRX was posted in this thread as over rated its rated perfectly as awesome because it is the best i4 ever.

sorry butt its true.

and its manually only so no one can steal it.

it's because 10 year old WRX'a still resale for almost sticker price, at least in the PNW. Good car i you buy new (too bad their lineup is garage right now) because you can resale it 5 years later for maybe a 30% loss. But you would be an absolute fool to buy a WRX in the sates especially since they've all been thrashed to hell and back.

Good car, lovely previous owners, and the old models are the only good ones. If you can find some grandma/soccer mom driven WRX it's a fuckin sweet car. I've always been a subaru fan but you're living a lie if you think the new WRX's and STI's arent bloated garbage cars.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Cubey posted:

this is one of the dumbest and most incorrect things i have ever read about anything. the aw11 has more agreeable handling than a miata, you'd have to be the actual worst driver in the world to crash one.

"handles good" on internet forums != being able to buy a mid engine car for $3000 with zero understanding of the VERY different handling characteristics of a front-engine car, an engine layout designed to flip you a complete 180 at the slightest driver error. Take a drive on public roads and watch how many mistakes people make entering freeway onramps in FWD cars. Every single one of those people would be dead in an AW11.

You're wrong and you should spend more time actually driving cars and less time parroting things you've read on car forums.

The AW11 is dangerous because any chump can go buy one. There's nothing wrong with the car. I love AW11's. But let's not lie, if we started giving away 911's there would be a whole less people/telephone poles in the world.

FuturePastNow posted:

Maybe they drive nice but Subarus are all very ugly cars.

look at how wrong this guy is

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

thathonkey posted:

A lot of the modern subarus are pretty ugly though :shrug: Nice cars but still

4th gen impreza/wrx/sti is a joke, as is 5th/6th gen legacy, but you'd have to be living under a rock to say that Subaru didn't make some of the nicest looking enthusaist oriented cars in the 90's to late 2000's.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

numberoneposter posted:

listen i race bicycles these days all i want from a car is a smoke machine and roof racks to carry bicycles

sorta joking, but all things aside its gotta have roof racks

volvo 240 beater station wagon with roof racks, bonus points because the boot is insanely huge for outdoors activities. only downside is that the heater core is a hellshitscape to replace and its powered by a tractor motor.
e28/e34 bmw 5 series station wagon with roof racks for cool points
V70/V70R's are pretty cool but you want the earlier years, models after about 2000 have a shitload of common $$$$$ problems and I would avoid at all cost.

I mean you could just buy a 90's outback/forester like everyone else buuuut

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I was reading about the old STIs that were actually coupes and not gigantic sedans, and they are loving sick cars

If you have a ton of money, you can turn an sti chassis into a rally car, but like.. The AWD system only handles so much torque so I'm pretty sure subie rally cars are a total drivetrain and suspension replacement

STIs now are really just a nice budget rally car you can gently caress around in snow/dirt if you live in a rural area with a lot of those kinds of roads

iirc those STI coupes never made it to the states :saddowns:
I have seen a few complete WRX/STI swaps into coupe chassis though. beat up green 90's momcar outback chassis swap is the best though.

You are a car enthusaist who has spent 60,000 miles driving an AW11

I'm saying the AW11 is a deathtrap because any chump can go buy one off the lot for $3000

I want an AW11... If I ever stumble upon a cheap v6 corolla motor, I know what needs to be done.

edit: for people who don't know what we're talking about go to about 1:20 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwGA10U6xE
this can happen to you at normal speeds in a porsche 911 or mr2 if you aren't experienced driving mid-engine.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 14, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Neptr posted:

Look at this newb talking about WRX's with i4s

Boxer lyfe mf'er

check out my v6 bmw

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Cubey posted:

i've driven aw11's befire and my current car is an fb. poo poo, my fb is more likely to kill an idiot than the aw11.

if you were talking about the sw20 yeah you'd have a point, but you look really silly right now.

aw11 more likely to kill you if you aren't speeding, unless your fb is a serious rustbox

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Arian_Samurai posted:

"Hey, check out my new Nissan Juke. Pretty cool huh?"

"uhhh....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeCZe04p5V4
ill take this juke. if i win the lottery this is my first purchase.

Gorgar posted:

Overrated: Honda reliability. Mostly I drove Toyotas and they were dependable as hell. Neither Honda I had ran right pretty much ever. I know statistically they're good, but they're not getting a third chance.

Honda has been running off their reputation for almost 20 years now. Everything they produce is complete garbage, and all the good cars they made in the 80's and 90's have been ruined by teenagers and commuters who drive until the wheels fall off, with a few rare exceptions. If you've ever been into crx's, civics, e30's, e36's etc now's the time to buy one before they're all gone or hosed beyond repair. There's still a few surviving civic si fanboys out there, but holy poo poo that car is 5 years behind the times. Oh and their little halo car new NSX? Ford already topped it in one year.

quote:

...video of 600hp Porsche Carrera GT spinning out on a racetrack as warning of the trouble you can get into with a 122hp relatively docile car...

Speed wasn't the problem in that video, the point is that even the slightest over correction will flip around the front and back wheels in a mid engine car. Significanly more dangerous when you're driving a MR2 at 50mph on a trafficed highway than 150mph in a closed circuit. Wish I had my old phone's memory card, because I had some p good videos of an old lady in an MR2 crashing her car into the university of washington during some jahovas witness event :V
Nothing wrong with a porsche or supercar being mid engine but it's p dangerous when they end up in consumer cars that have depreciated so much that you can buy one on craigslist for $1000-5000.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Literal Carehaver posted:

ugh the juke

i mean i cant talk i think the soul looks neat

but seriously juke more like puke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_2SIkG1ng

also