Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.random
May 7, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Try industrial diamonds. No seriously, the refractive focusing matrix that is perfect for a laser harmonizes and synchronizes both the digital soundwaves and the analog air molecules. It's quite sublime in how much it revitalizes your existing albums with extra jive.

I assume this is trolling because it's a known fact that you need to use conflict diamonds for this in order to enhance instrumental separation and sound stage without introducing the harsh ditopilary infrequential response curves (aka, the "Ultrasone effect"). My friend let me A/B with his industrial diamond and the difference is tangible.

Also "analog air molecules" lol. Analog is carried in the lower ventral sac of tau neutrinos, which is why you're supposed to massage new speaker diaphragms with leptonic isometry paste before use. If you use it after burning in, you'll notice the slovenly sub bass hump at 17Hz, and, if you're anything like me, the sibilance at 18477-18553Hz (+/- .05Hz) range. I've started to demand the manufacturers rub the paste into any speakers or headphones before they even QA any units I purchase, and you should too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

Remember in the 90's how hot girls would wear dumb poo poo and bad hairstyles to make themselves look ironically ugly, and then actual ugly girls started doing the same thing thinking they could trick people into thinking they might be stealth pretty? Those girls would love these headphones.

remember in the 10's people bought headphones based on what color they were and what material they were made out of and not based on how they sound? Yeah it was a pretty sad time.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

.random posted:

I assume this is trolling because it's a known fact that you need to use conflict diamonds for this in order to enhance instrumental separation and sound stage without introducing the harsh ditopilary infrequential response curves (aka, the "Ultrasone effect"). My friend let me A/B with his industrial diamond and the difference is tangible.

Also "analog air molecules" lol. Analog is carried in the lower ventral sac of tau neutrinos, which is why you're supposed to massage new speaker diaphragms with leptonic isometry paste before use. If you use it after burning in, you'll notice the slovenly sub bass hump at 17Hz, and, if you're anything like me, the sibilance at 18477-18553Hz (+/- .05Hz) range. I've started to demand the manufacturers rub the paste into any speakers or headphones before they even QA any units I purchase, and you should too.

Im surprised no one has come up with a device that will increase the number of air molecules in your listening space giving the sound a bigger stage to move. Hmmm. Pressurized listening rooms...

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."

hey these are the exact same headphones I have! got em for DJing, great buy

wait that doesn't make me a audiophile right??

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

hey these are the exact same headphones I have! got em for DJing, great buy

wait that doesn't make me a audiophile right??

audio technica makes a decent set of cans. I own those for when Im out recording. The pads have dried out and cracked but they work solid still. Definitely not audiophile - your safe.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
First, we need to talk about double blind testing and why only fools use it. Double blind tests may be a really good thing if a company wants to confirm the veracity of a new type of aspirin, for instance. When it comes, however, to audiophile grade components I cannot see how they are any more than a waste of time. In the past I have tested components in my system and found them not to my liking. I have tried others and loved them. At the end of the day, I see that as the best barometer of what works and what doesn't. Because I consider myself the best available judge of what sounds better, or worse for that matter, to me, to my own ears in my own listening environment. I simply don't need some obtuse form of testing to tell me whether or not I like something.

If you want good music, you need to understand the difference between rotational audio and non-rotational audio. Rotational audio are things like Vinyl, CDs, and Hard Drives. You should not play audio from DVD or Blu-Ray audio tracks as they spin at an incorrect rotational difference in proportion to the sample rate. As you know, Vinyl will play sound at different rates given the RPM of the record. As you go to audio tracks on the outside of the vinyl you will need to gradually speed up the RPM as the audio on the edges are stretched out and more tired. On CDs and Hard drives the opposite is true. Only use the inner audio tracks on your CD and hard drives. Windows will not show you the inner audio track, so only use Audiophile Linux which let's you set which audio tracks to use. http://www.ap-linux.com/

While CDs only come in audio tracks of 10 minutes each, a hard drive can have numerous audio tracks of varying size depending on the rated size by the manufactured, RPM, and bit size. Because of this, never buy a hard drive larger than 100 GB. Any larger and your audio will be compressed or stretched. In Audiophile Linux you can chop up your audio tracks in any way you desire, but I suggest audio tracks of 22.43 minutes each, with a nominal distance between bits of .13 mm. Only use the first two audio tracks, just like vinyl the outer tracks will be too stretched out and the audio will get tired.

Non-rotational audio plays from things like flash memory or NOR memory on solid state drives. Because they do not rotate, the head moves between audio tracks instead of audio tracks moving under the head. The farther your audio track is from the head the more tired your music will sound. You should only use the first audio track, which can not be changed, for your audio.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I record my farts in v0 mp3. They sound pretty sweet.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

NihilismNow posted:

Look son i can hear the difference. Just because you ruined your hearing with all your techno music doesn't mean there isn't a difference. Now let's listen to Brothers in Arms through my new $500 USB cable.

Brothers in Arms is an awesome album and I listen to it myself pretty often

Just wait until you hear the isolated DAC with ~*asynchronous USB input*~ because god knows USB data transfer gets too much jitter from the loving clock

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 13, 2015

.random
May 7, 2007

Jst0rm posted:

Im surprised no one has come up with a device that will increase the number of air molecules in your listening space giving the sound a bigger stage to move. Hmmm. Pressurized listening rooms...

I used to have 3 Sharper Image air ionizers in my listening studio because an even number of leptons and positrons leads, as one would expect, to serious midrange damping. Unfortunately, the hand braided palladium/super-cooled-argon cabling between my DAC and preamp wasn't ionospherically isolated - WHOOPS! After a week of burning in the cable, I noticed the frequency curve getting peakier than a witch's you-know-what. So I removed the ionizers and replaced with HEPA filters with custom face places which ironically (ionically?) has boosted the chalkiness of the bass (which nicely absorbs some of the slight muddiness most noticeable on vinyl tracks) but lowered the sparkle of the treble.

Any advice on restoring the high sparkle without impacting the mids?

.random fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 13, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
just got done soaking my new pure radium earbuds in apple cider vinegar for 5.34 days, what do i do next

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

If you listen to music in anything less than a hermetically sealed room maintained at exactly 20°c (343.2 m/s provides the ideal frequency harmonics) then you may as well just cut off your ears.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't been able to deign to physical sound for years now. Once you read sheet music in your head you don't go back.

.random
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

I haven't been able to deign to physical sound for years now. Once you read sheet music in your head you don't go back.

What weight paper do you read it off of? Texture? Watermarking? And what brand ink? Please respond urgently!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

.random posted:

What weight paper do you read it off of? Texture? Watermarking? And what brand ink? Please respond urgently!!

Elephant hide as parchment because the tonal pitch that reverberates as you write is very important for neural audio creation. I have mine on a board made out of Galapagos Island turtle shells.

The ink is an often overlooked factor - I prefer to use NASA space pens for techno and authentic 18th century quills & inkwells for string instruments. The audiovisual feedback in your long term ganglions harmonizes as you create, so you can "burn in" your music writing process for different styles over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

im_sorry posted:

Or pretty much anything by Merzbow. The platinum plated USB connectors really make it "pop".

Merzbow I only listen to in a Mercedes-Benz 230.

• Locked thread