Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nefarious posted:

didn't gawker expose all the pedophilia on reddit? that seems pretty cool of them

Yeah gawker did some journalism, that sounds like them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

just checking back to see if the op is still gay and guess what?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Truly it's awful that mobs are lynching white people for innocuous and innocent mistakes like saying Africans are riddled with AIDS.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

This "callout culture" is crazy, somebody should make a thread about it in Dand D, so we can get some higher level discussion going.
This post sounds a bit tongue in cheek but it's a thing actual feminists acknowledge is a thing.

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2011/10/17/call-out-culture-and-blogging-as-performance/

http://feministing.com/2013/12/20/on-cynicism-calling-out-and-creating-movements-that-dont-leave-our-people-behind/

http://sarahditum.com/2014/02/23/bad-faith-justice-ethics-of-the-call-out/

I remember seeing a bunch of these kinds of articles right after shirtgate too

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/18/feminism-rosetta-scientist-shirt-dapper-laughs-julien-blanc-inequality

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I was seriously suggesting someone make a D&D thread about it, just because it'd be funny to see the usual crowd deny that it exists, or that if it does exist it's a problem, and also the OP is a libertarian neckbeard basement dwelling rapist, and then thread gets closed after two pages.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

well if feminists are acknowledging it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

really, to see goons getting upset at someone getting loving wrecked online... i never thought i'd say this, but you guys really have gone politically correct. ah well, i guess everyone gets soft in their old age

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

I was seriously suggesting someone make a D&D thread about it, just because it'd be funny to see the usual crowd deny that it exists, or that if it does exist it's a problem, and also the OP is a libertarian neckbeard basement dwelling rapist, and then thread gets closed after two pages.
I saw that happen the other day and I thought it was funny, like some pretty prominent women in feminism has mentioned it's a thing and yet it was a thread full of people telling the OP he was just making stuff up and exaggerating the prevalence of the issue.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Truly it's awful that mobs are lynching white people for innocuous and innocent mistakes like saying Africans are riddled with AIDS.

There is a very serious and still on-going problem of an HIV/AIDS epidemic occurring throughout multiple African countries.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
IM CALLING YOU OUT, CALLOUT CULTURE! STEEL CAGE MATCH ON THE 28TH, YOU AND ME! WINNER DECIDES WHO GETS TO SAY RACIST THINGS ON TWITTER!!!

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
rude of the op to organize a lynch mob against twitter, gawker, and Sam biddle

this callout culture is really getting out of hand

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mr. Pumroy posted:

really, to see goons getting upset at someone getting loving wrecked online... i never thought i'd say this, but you guys really have gone politically correct. ah well, i guess everyone gets soft in their old age

are you really so obtuse you cant tell the difference between mocking someone for being a dumbass and setting out to destroy them as people

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I agree, this has to at least be the second worst travesty of justice after what happened to that other Sacco.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Mad Archivist posted:

are you really so obtuse you cant tell the difference between mocking someone for being a dumbass and setting out to destroy them as people

The latter is much more fun.

More people should be reduced to sobbing, gibbering husks as their world collapses around them.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

:ironicat:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

lol look at this loving bleeding heart crybaby

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Who calls out the callsoutmen

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
RIP justine sacco. you got made fun of on twitter and now you're dead

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

im fine with both but cripple them first to prolong the humor

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i am destroyed... i will never get to do aids jokes on the company twitter... this is not the america i thought i lived in...

this is no different than when puritans murdered accused witches. i am the dead witch

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i am destroyed... i will never get to do aids jokes on the company twitter... this is not the america i thought i lived in...

Why do you think it was on the company twitter account?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Company bought my twitter account, little bonus perk ;)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

Why do you think it was on the company twitter account?

it would own that way

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
protip for casual racists who are also pr heads of major companies: you can make a private twitter account that can only be seen by people you approve

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Maybe we should consider she wasn't fired for making a racist tweet but rather she was fired for incompetence because making a racist tweet public is a really bad thing for a PR employee to do

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
She certainly wasn't fired for making a racist tweet, because she didn't make a racist tweet

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Maybe we should consider she wasn't fired for making a racist tweet but rather she was fired for incompetence because making a racist tweet public is a really bad thing for a PR employee to do

hmm this is a pretty good point but on the other hand I really hate gawker so I'm gonna have to disagree

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
#ENDSJW$

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
ITT hellthread posters mad at gawker; should only be allowed to post in hellthread for being Extremely Stupid

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Nefarious posted:

protip for casual racists who are also pr heads of major companies: you can make a private twitter account that can only be seen by people you approve
I think the criticism is more over whether doing this kind of thing accomplishes anything or whether it's just a feelgood circle jerk for one group of people at the expense of an individual. I don't think for the most part anyone believes making racist jokes under a twitter account tied to both your name and the company you work is a good idea.

It's sort of a like how it'd be stupid to leave your front door open while not at home but that doesn't mean that the person robbing you is doing it just to educate you on why you shouldn't do that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TubeStank posted:

ITT hellthread posters mad at gawker; should only be allowed to post in hellthread for being Extremely Stupid

Harassment should be reserved for legitimate and moral targets like people who post about video games

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the criticism is more over whether doing this kind of thing accomplishes anything or whether it's just a feelgood circle jerk for one group of people at the expense of an individual. I don't think for the most part anyone believes making racist jokes under a twitter account tied to both your name and the company you work is a good idea.

It's sort of a like how it'd be stupid to leave your front door open while not at home but that doesn't mean that the person robbing you is doing it just to educate you on why you shouldn't do that.

what exactly do you think happened to this woman

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Nefarious posted:

what exactly do you think happened to this woman

ArbitraryC posted:

A PR rep tweeted a racist joke about aids shortly before a flight to Africa. A concerned citizen alerted some of the bigger social media people about the tweet that maybe 10 people would have seen had everyone simply ignored it, and it blew up on twitter during her flight. She got fired and then harassed on the internet for some time afterwards.

Not quite as dumb as the IT guys who got in trouble for making dongle jokes among themselves though because she did say something flagrantly offensive and her job was PR related.

#progress

ArbitraryC posted:

After shirtstorm a bunch of feminist journalists and such were also writing about how toxic and unproductive callout culture is so it's not like OP holds a weird view here. People piling on the girl in the OP weren't actually fighting racism, they were just enjoying a culturally acceptable punching bag. With respect to her getting fired I don't see a huge deal because what she said was unacceptable in a professional context and she was a PR person with her name and employer tied to her twitter account, but the people who harassed her over it were a pretty obvious example of the kind of people who just want to be a dick to someone using social justice as a convenient excuse.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
the next time you think about pointing out racism, please consider that the racist might get made fun of on the Internet

ask yourself: is it really worth it?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nefarious posted:

the next time you think about pointing out racism, please consider that the racist might lose their jobs and have their personal identities dissected by strangers and be branded as a negative label for as long as their name has recognizability

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Harassment should be reserved for legitimate and moral targets like people who post about video games

they shouldnt be harassed either :shobon:

its pretty funny that people are saying this site has gone soft because people hold this opinion, because its thanks to idiots like them that things like the malatora mock thread get shut down: somebody decides to take things to take things outside the forums like a piece of poo poo and try to mess with jobs and families

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oh no they might be labeled as being racist for being racist

Think of the potential consequences like, people might actually think before making an AIDS joke.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
MY BRAND!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

just checking back to see if the op is still gay and guess what?

:frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

drat I need to point out racism more often.

• Locked thread