Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Shenmue was a sweet game and the Dreamcast is awesome because it is a completely dead console that reads burned CDs and most of the games are smaller than a CD despite being released on GD-ROMs as a copy protection feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

good.. now im in the shenmood

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
ahh, good

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
My favorite part is the beginning of shenmue 2 where if you talk to the guy next to the capsule toy machines he says "I've got some sweet info to share with you!" and when you hit A to continue the conversation Ryo repeats "Sweet info.."

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
they only hired voice actors who looked like the character they'd be voicing

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Actually I never played shemue you dumb nerd I just wanted to make that pun.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

a hole-y ghost posted:

Actually I never played shemue you dumb nerd I just wanted to make that pun.

God loving ddaaaaaaaaaamn

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Mark's lunch being kicked into the sea was the pinnacle of videogame history.

HEY, MY LUNCH!

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
HEY LYO

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i can't wait until this gets a HIGH DEFNITION release on next gen consoles for 20 bucks and you'll see a buncha grandpa nerds wax rhapsodic about it and insist that no, really, it's a really good game you just have to get past the lovely controls and boring characters and dumb mechanics and hlaghaglahglaghlaghg don't say anything bad about my girlfriend favorite videogame

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I remember you learn some kind of swallow dive kick or something right before you get into the last fight of the game and the move never worked on the guy you fight. Oh and I got fired from my job as a fork lift driver on Christmas day.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

matrix ripoff posted:

i can't wait until this gets a HIGH DEFNITION release on next gen consoles for 20 bucks and you'll see a buncha grandpa nerds wax rhapsodic about it and insist that no, really, it's a really good game you just have to get past the lovely controls and boring characters and dumb mechanics and hlaghaglahglaghlaghg don't say anything bad about my girlfriend favorite videogame

unironically this

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
i loving love shenmue

sure the game's not exactly mechanically sound, but it's the experience, nigga, know what i mean

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
shenmue loving kicked rear end.

never played shenmue 2 though because I didn't have an xbox.

I read on wikipedia that the budget was so high for the game that everyone in the world who owned a dreamcast had to buy like three copies in order for it to turn a profit though.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
you can play shenmue 2 on a dc emulator with english subtitles if you really want. i liked it better than the first one.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

facebook jihad posted:

shenmue loving kicked rear end.
Came for this.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
Excuse me. Do you know about the four wudo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgmCdt4EgxU

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
you laugh but being in japan or china is literally exactly like playing shenmue

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Do you know where any sailors hang out?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

if you go back to it shenmue has such a weird, depressing atmosphere. there's like zero sense of humour or irony in any of it .kicked seriious rear end though, loved it at the time.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I see.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
shenmue is like deadly premonition where the weirdness and jank is what makes it so very compelling and memorable.

and then you get chased through the walled city by a person wielding a chainsaw. good fuckin times.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
i remember reading at the time that they needed to sell 2 copies of shenmue for every Dreamcast that had been sold in order to turn a profit. :rip:

loving loved that game and was very gratified that we got an EU release of shenmue 2 for the dc cause that game owned too.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

im looking for the man who killed my father

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
especially since you bought merchandise

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
IIRC shenmue 2 ended with Ryo getting like some kind of magic powers or discovering magic or something at this like forest place and I was super psyched for the next game but then they never released it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

My favorite part is the beginning of shenmue 2 where if you talk to the guy next to the capsule toy machines he says "I've got some sweet info to share with you!" and when you hit A to continue the conversation Ryo repeats "Sweet info.."

Holy poo poo, I'm laughing so hard at this. I had completely forgotten about this and Mark being upset over his lunch.

Also, didn't Goro wear assless chaps? Goddamn, no game has ever made me laugh more than fuckin Shenmue.

*gets his 34th toy capsule that day*

"I love these".

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
protip when u import your save from shenmue 1 into shenmue 2 make sure 2 spend all ur cash in the capsule machine right at the start cause otherwise you'll lose it when you get mugged. :cheers:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
camt' wait for shenmue 3 i'm gonna get that fucker lan di

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZUcPQAMvg

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
shenmuy

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
it's tough to think about sega

so many "could've would've should'ves" in that story

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
lets get sweaty

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Thismylassdart!"

Also, that huge image is the best thing.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 13, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I not only bought the import of Shenmue 2 for dreamcast, I used the dreamcast's internet ability and a VMU hack to transfer my save from the first one.I think that's the nerdiest thing I've ever done in my life.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
buyin' some sushi to feed a kitten ITT

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I find something incredibly comforting about Shenmue. It calls to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

RedLobster posted:

Also remember just playing space harrier in it non stop.

came to post this

• Locked thread