Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I can't imagine many things worse than choosing to work for the TSA. I mean, in the realm of choosing places to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

johnny sack posted:

I can't imagine many things worse than choosing to work for the TSA. I mean, in the realm of choosing places to work.

I would much rather be outside, even in Fairbanks, than watching passengers go through a checkpoint all day. Plus, lots of exercise for free!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Would you rather sit in a blue grey room all day listening to the same announcement about unattended baggage and yelling about taking your laptop out every 30 seconds, or drive and walk around outside listening to your music and podcasts.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
There are parts of TSA that can be less terrible if you know where to go. If you do take the TSA job then for the love of gently caress do whatever you can to be a checked baggage TSO. Sure you're slinging heavy rear end bags all day, but your interactions with the public will be at a minimum; if not none at all.

Bags dont bitch and you get to sit and chill for most of the day if you get placed at the right baggage station.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
What you really need to consider is which one will have a growing vs a shrinking budget. That's one of the main factors that will decide if you're going to have a career in this agency or just be stuck in the same dick gently caress job forever. It's unlikely that the TSA's budget is going to decrease while the post office might very well be eliminated altogether one day since it's non-essential.

I'm at the IRS and I while I can get a detail over to IT security, I can't get the grade increase because of the never ending hiring freeze we've been under. Until we have a major security breach the budget situation won't change because it's popular to attack the IRS(Ted Populist Cruz - loving CANADIAN) and dumb cunts like Lois Lerner tarnish the image of the other 100k people that work there. No matter how much math we show those fucks that proves we return 4 dollars for every dollar they give us, they still cut our budget.

The TSA might almost be as hated as the IRS, but neither agency is going away any time soon. Since the TSA is about safety n poo poo it's hard to argue against reducing it's budget. After all ISIS is probably going to kill everyone tomorrow starting at that big rear end mall. The IRS just gets kicked in the balls every now and then until something hosed up happens and we can go "See! We told you we needed more money!" and then we can start hiring/upgrading again. We're operating with about the same money we had in 07 but with more responsibilities(Obamacare).

Go with the TSA and just be :smug: knowing you have job security.

e: Also, there's that whole "going postal" thing.

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Reign Of Pain posted:

e: Also, there's that whole "going postal" thing.

Last I heard, you guys were getting planes flown into your buildings so :toot:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Last I heard, you guys were getting planes flown into your buildings so :toot:

That was from a "sovereign citizen" over a tax debt of around $2200. He burned his families 250k house down and flew his personal plane into a rented building that housed more than just IRS employees successfully killing a 2 tour Vietnam war vet. :toot:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Reign Of Pain posted:

That was from a "sovereign citizen" over a tax debt of around $2200. He burned his families 250k house down and flew his personal plane into a rented building that housed more than just IRS employees successfully killing a 2 tour Vietnam war vet. :toot:

I thought Echelon was a pretty big campus? If not, why did it get such a cool name?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Delivering mail without a doubt. Most of the mailpersons I interact with seem to be pretty happy folks, the TSA people not so much. Lots of exercise and fresh air. I wouldn't worry too much about the weather, it's all about wearing the right gear which isn't hard these days.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

TSA has the lowest employee morale of any agency in the federal government, but since you'd be at what sounds like a spoke airport it wouldn't be overwhelmingly busy and even working at the checkpoint wouldn't be terrible. TSA is also easier to move into other federal jobs from than USPS, if you are looking to make a career in the federal sector. Being a lettercarrier wouldn't be a bad gig, either, but as others said you'll be out and about in the dead of winter. Either job will pay decently and reliably (unless the Congress shuts down DHS :q:) and you'll have things like paid sick leave and time off.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Do you want or plan to work for any other federal agency? If so, you might give TSA the nod. While DHS and USPS are both Excepted Service agencies, only TSA has an interchange agreement with OPM. This means if you are a USPS employee and you want to apply to a vacancy that is only open to "Status" employees, you are out of luck. With the interchange agreement in place you can apply just like any other civil service employee.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

n8r posted:

Delivering mail without a doubt. Most of the mailpersons I interact with seem to be pretty happy folks, the TSA people not so much. Lots of exercise and fresh air. I wouldn't worry too much about the weather, it's all about wearing the right gear which isn't hard these days.

TSA is also near the bottom of the barrel in federal employee satisfaction surveys.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
My aunt worked for the TSA and USPS, she went back to working for the TSA.

Work TSA, get to frisk celebrates.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
do they really deliver the mail when it gets to 40 below? I imagine there's gotta be a cutoff point

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

mpyro posted:

Work TSA, get to frisk celebrates.

All the good "celebrates" have done pre-screening. You get to pat down paunchy Iowa tourists.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 7, 2015

Catronos
Sep 27, 2012

down with slavery posted:

do they really deliver the mail when it gets to 40 below? I imagine there's gotta be a cutoff point

They deliver until the vehicles refuse to start, we've gotten mail even at close to -60F here in this city. I'm decided on TSA and hope to move up from a tso position to something else in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Catronos posted:

They deliver until the vehicles refuse to start, we've gotten mail even at close to -60F here in this city. I'm decided on TSA and hope to move up from a tso position to something else in time.

Oh yes!

• Locked thread