Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
You should rely on healing items to heal and save your healing spells for emergencies and uses of Harm/Harm2/Fire2/Lit2. Healing and Pure potions aren't that expensive, and you should be running around with a huge supply of healing potions at all times. If I make a run at the Marsh Cave, I usually try for 20 healing and 10 pure potions. Everything in there hates you. Profoundly. Make sure you can endure the cave before making an attempt at it. Since you're showing the entire Odyssey, I'm not sure seeing five trips to the cave is worth it when 2/3 would suffice.

"But Krumb, how can we have the money to buy all these potions if we aren't grinding?" The answer to that is ration the spells you buy. Do you need a Cure 2 spell now, or 25 healing potions? Do I want a Pure spell, or over 50 pure potions for the same cost? Spells in this game can be a trap, make sure you're managing your money effectively.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I found the key to FF1 is to just carry All The Potions. You're just going to take a bunch of damage; it's part of the game. it's not unusual to have to use multiple potions after every battle. Stores will have stuff before you're realistically expected to buy it- you'll often find those items as treasures in dungeons a while after they show up in stores, so you can waste money by grinding up to buy them all.

I don't know if you figured it out yet (still a couple episodes behind), but I think you multi-target spells by pressing Up when you're at a top-row enemy, or maybe down when at a bottom-row enemy. (I think it was FFII that lets you select all enemies of a certain type by pressing up, or all enemies by pressing down). Grinding money on the high seas becomes a lot faster when you're multi-targeting LIT spells.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't know if you figured it out yet (still a couple episodes behind), but I think you multi-target spells by pressing Up when you're at a top-row enemy, or maybe down when at a bottom-row enemy. (I think it was FFII that lets you select all enemies of a certain type by pressing up, or all enemies by pressing down). Grinding money on the high seas becomes a lot faster when you're multi-targeting LIT spells.

You cannot turn on or off multi-target in this game. Spells come in single-target and multi-target varieties only. Lit, Ice and Fire are all single target spells. It isn't until the 3rd magic tier that you can use black magic multi-target spells. The White Mage's Harm spell is the only multi-target damaging spell before the 3rd magic tier.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think some grinding is fine, its sort of part of the genre. And while I believe that you can do FF1 without grinding (although I have never done it), part of that might be easier when you know where things are. The caves/dungeons are a lot longer if you don't know where the treasures are, what treasures you might find, or what certain enemies are weak/strong against, etc.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

You cannot turn on or off multi-target in this game. Spells come in single-target and multi-target varieties only. Lit, Ice and Fire are all single target spells. It isn't until the 3rd magic tier that you can use black magic multi-target spells. The White Mage's Harm spell is the only multi-target damaging spell before the 3rd magic tier.

Really? Huh, I could've sworn I multi-targeted LIT spells to kill hordes of sea monsters faster. Oh well, never mind me then.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FrancisFarterburgr posted:

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 7 :siren:

Based on what everyone is saying, I think I never understood the black belt and probably left the nunchucks equipped for too long. Now I kind of wish Brad was a black belt, oh well.

We're recording tonight, and we'll be trying to play without grinding as much as we can. What we encountered last time was that we would go to the Marsh Cave, find a couple things, and run out of heals/pures and have to go back. Butting up against a wall like that is usually an indication in games that you are not equipped to deal with the area. Combine that with the fact that you can go to these towns that have all of these weapon, armor, and spell upgrades available but beyond your reach financially, it shouldn't be a surprise that our natural inclination was to try to obtain money to buy those items. Right now, it feels as though the game is telling us that we should buy better gear and we're being told here that we don't need to. I think part of that might be because we don't use much in the way of recovery items until future episodes, but I'm not sure.

When I'm told that there's no need to grind in Final Fantasy, it's so opposed to my actual experience of the game that I feel like it can't be true. But what's likely is that I played this game as a kid, ground to get the best of everything at all points in the game, and that's now set in my mind as the way to play the game. Obviously we don't want to bore ourselves and everyone else with grinding, so I will do my best to resist the impulse. We're probably just not playing the game very well, and we'll gladly take tips on how to be better (like using more healing items, yea or nay?).

And keep in mind, episodes we record tonight with this new mindset won't be uploaded until late next week at the earliest, so bear with us. We'll get there.

I did my best to avoid having to grind, and the method for that was minimal grinding until the first orb is done - running from encounters in caves/dungeons since one of the dungeons is so damnably long you'd be out of pots even if you brought a shitload. To spoiler it a bit; I would do as little work as possible until i'd killed off the Lich, at that point you can get the canoe. Instead of using that to go to the next dungeon (the volcano) i'd use it to go to the castle of advancement to get the Zeus gauntlet, which casts LIT2. You can stop your boat at the end of the stream by the castle and canoe away from it onto land. The zeus gauntlet is powerful enough to hamstring most random encounters even if they're not weak to LIT, there's also good armor in there and some gold. As a bonus as soon as you get the airship you can go get the advanced classes since you've already done the test and gained the rat tail. You could even go get the air ship before killing Kali. Since you have a thief running from everything is ridiculously easy. Bosses in this game are really not that hard so not being high level at them is not much of an obstacle. Lich is vulnerable to harm and fire so he is super easy

This is actually making me want to replay FF1; despite all its many, many flaws.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2015

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Schwartzcough posted:

Really? Huh, I could've sworn I multi-targeted LIT spells to kill hordes of sea monsters faster. Oh well, never mind me then.

You probably used Lit-2 (which you get in Elfland) that is a 3rd tier spell in order to murder the high seas, but the level one, garden variety Lit spell cannot be a multi-target.

FF1 is not exactly the pinnacle in game design. Hell, its held together with prayers and duct tape mostly, but that it was so revolutionary at time is why we're here.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Not sure how much you guys know about the ins and outs of the game, but I'm curious... any plans on doing some monster in the mountainous area to the east of Pravoka?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
5 year old Kirbykhan always wanted to play this game, but in the house it was forbidden by my older brother due to him being afraid I would gently caress up his save. Then one day he called me in and said he was going to allow it. He had me buy 99 potions for him while he went off to make a sandwich. He kicked me off when he was done eating and I was back on the couch just watching. Poor 5 year old Kirbykhan.

What I'm saying is I'm looking forward to the full length potion buying episode.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm looking forward to the full length potion buying episodes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

KirbyKhan posted:

5 year old Kirbykhan always wanted to play this game, but in the house it was forbidden by my older brother due to him being afraid I would gently caress up his save. Then one day he called me in and said he was going to allow it. He had me buy 99 potions for him while he went off to make a sandwich. He kicked me off when he was done eating and I was back on the couch just watching. Poor 5 year old Kirbykhan.

What I'm saying is I'm looking forward to the full length potion buying episode.

I always make sure to have 99 potions in every Final Fantasy game. Doesn't matter if I reach the point in the game where shops start carrying Hi Potions, doesn't matter if it's XIII where you'll never ever use them after the first two levels, I must always be carrying 99 potions around just in case I need them.

Which reminds me, first thing I have to do when I wake up tomorrow. I need to make sure My characters in XIV have 99 Potions on them.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

And remember the Nintendo Power trick. Use turbo A at item shops to buy 99 potions more quickly.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
i'm suddenly reminded of my first playthrough where I chose 4 blackbelts and then, after an extremely rocky start, managed to just completely steamroll the game once they all got their second attacks. In fact, just loading up a bunch of punchy guys is a surprisingly effective method of steamrolling a lot of these games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main advantage of the black belt, other than the insane damage output, is all the free inventory slots they have that can be used to hold spellcasting items. If you don't have a black belt, you'll probably have to toss some cool things out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Unknown Quantity posted:

i'm suddenly reminded of my first playthrough where I chose 4 blackbelts and then, after an extremely rocky start, managed to just completely steamroll the game once they all got their second attacks. In fact, just loading up a bunch of punchy guys is a surprisingly effective method of steamrolling a lot of these games.

Monks steamroll everything in the first third to half of FFV but quickly lose their luster as the game goes on.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Now I'm really in the mood to boot up my copy of the first game.

I'm too busy/cheap/lazy to play through all the FF games, so I look forward to this. I admit I don't expect you'll actually finish this thing, but I hope you do. Good luck, guys.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

"Godspeed you poor sons of bitches."
:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 8 :siren:

Recording report: we bought a lot of Heals and Pures and suddenly we could make a lot of progress. I am dumb for not trying to use items. This week will be the last few episodes of grinding, I believe Friday will be when we start making a lot of relatively fast progress.

ddegenha posted:

Not sure how much you guys know about the ins and outs of the game, but I'm curious... any plans on doing some monster in the mountainous area to the east of Pravoka?

PM me details, if it's a whole ton of extra work the answer is probably not though.

KirbyKhan posted:

One time I lent my copy of Dragon Warrior to an elementary school friend, who deleted my save. I cried.
I've been planning on editing out the (copious) potion-buying, since you have to buy them one at a time. But maybe I'll save that footage for a rainy day..........

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PM me details, if it's a whole ton of extra work the answer is probably not though.

no extra work, but :unsmigghh:

Also, who wants to tell a shark it has too many fins? I'll let it have all the fins it wants.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
If it makes anything easier on you guys, you know that FF Legend I-III and FF Adventure aren't really Final Fantasy games, right? That was just added to the names in the US release for marketing purposes. (FF Legend I-III are actually SaGa 1-3, as in Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier, and FF Adventure is Seiken Densetsu, whose SNES sequel Seiken Densetsu 2 was released in the US as Secret of Mana.)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cichlid the Loach posted:

If it makes anything easier on you guys, you know that FF Legend I-III and FF Adventure aren't really Final Fantasy games, right? That was just added to the names in the US release for marketing purposes. (FF Legend I-III are actually SaGa 1-3, as in Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier, and FF Adventure is Seiken Densetsu, whose SNES sequel Seiken Densetsu 2 was released in the US as Secret of Mana.)

Released as Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden actually, so it still qualifies.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 9 :siren:

Cichlid the Loach posted:

We knew that, and originally I don't think we were planning on playing those all the way through, but Cory wants to pretty badly so we might play at least one of them to completion.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
If you want to tempt fate you can go to the map area where the north and south continents are just a few spaces apart - at the tip of the southern landmass you can find FrGiants/FrWolf, Zombulls, Trolls, Giants and the occasional Tyro/ankylo. One encounter with 4 zombulls can get you 4k xp & 4k gold, and they're not terribly uncommon - they're also vuln to both fire and harm. You get there on foot by going east through the mountain pass from the 2nd town, and turning north a little bit in. The spaces you can get those encounters on is only 4 tiles or so, and the wrong fight will probably kill you if you don't get away fast enough. This may not be worth it without save states. I did used to use that spot on NES though, but it really, really is a little risky but the payoff might make it worth it to you.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 24, 2015

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 10 :siren:

Yeah, ddegenha told me about the Peninsula of Power via a PM. We might show it off next time we record, but since we're trying to avoid grinding we probably won't stay very long.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Yeah, ddegenha told me about the Peninsula of Power via a PM. We might show it off next time we record, but since we're trying to avoid grinding we probably won't stay very long.

The good news is that if you go there, you don't need to stay very long.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's not really grinding, it's more like surviving an encounter that's way above your current power level and short-circuiting the developer's intended progression. One successful Peninsula of Power combat is several hours' worth of OGRE slaying and CREEP bashing in Elfland.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006

Xenocides posted:

And remember the Nintendo Power trick. Use turbo A at item shops to buy 99 potions more quickly.

I'm pretty sure FF's terrible shop system was just part of a racket to sell more turbo controllers.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

So today's episode is obviously late. Raleigh got some heavy (for North Carolina) snow overnight, and it knocked out our internet. Today's episode is ready, I just have no means to upload it until our connection is restored. Sorry :(

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

dstyle posted:

I'm pretty sure FF's terrible shop system was just part of a racket to sell more turbo controllers.

I laughed far more than I should have. Hope the snow removal and reconnection goes well.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Updates: Final Fantasy Episode 11 and Final Fantasy Episode 12 :siren:

We're back online, and back on schedule. We kind of lose our minds in Episode 11, and 12 is the beginning of our most recent recording session where we tried not to grind at all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I thought the guy doing all the SaGa games in order here was insane, but you guys take the cake. I'm all caught up and plan on continuing to ride along for this whole crazy trip.

To respond to the Mind Flayer/Wizard debate, there's a lot of stuff taken directly from D&D in FF1. I recall a future mini-boss being changed due to the fact that it was WAY too close to the original design. I'll talk more when we get to it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

I thought the guy doing all the SaGa games in order here was insane, but you guys take the cake. I'm all caught up and plan on continuing to ride along for this whole crazy trip.

To respond to the Mind Flayer/Wizard debate, there's a lot of stuff taken directly from D&D in FF1. I recall a future mini-boss being changed due to the fact that it was WAY too close to the original design. I'll talk more when we get to it.

Yeah, the original Final Fantasy world is pretty much the Mystara D&D setting and all 4 elemental fiends were taken from D&D.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 13 :siren:

Choco1980 posted:

Huh, I had no idea that the game borrowed so much from D&D. Cory and I were wondering if there was any way to figure out if D&D books had been localized for Japan, or if they had been working with the English printings. I know almost nothing about D&D, Cory knows a lot more than I do, so I expect that as obviously borrowed creatures show up he'll notice. But if we don't, definitely let us know because it's really interesting to see that stuff transposed into FF.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 13 :siren:

Huh, I had no idea that the game borrowed so much from D&D. Cory and I were wondering if there was any way to figure out if D&D books had been localized for Japan, or if they had been working with the English printings. I know almost nothing about D&D, Cory knows a lot more than I do, so I expect that as obviously borrowed creatures show up he'll notice. But if we don't, definitely let us know because it's really interesting to see that stuff transposed into FF.

What happened was, Wizardry (and later Ultima) got localized to Japanese, and those games became immensely popular. That led to dragon warrior, the FFs, games like that. Wizardry is basically a computer port of D&D style tabletop gaming brought to a computer (one of the earliest dungeon crawlers). D&D itself was localized in Japan in 85, and was of course an influence as well. But they were primarily influenced by something that was itself influenced by D&D.

:words:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

hanales posted:

What happened was, Wizardry (and later Ultima) got localized to Japanese, and those games became immensely popular. That led to dragon warrior, the FFs, games like that. Wizardry is basically a computer port of D&D style tabletop gaming brought to a computer (one of the earliest dungeon crawlers). D&D itself was localized in Japan in 85, and was of course an influence as well. But they were primarily influenced by something that was itself influenced by D&D.

:words:

And when D&D hit, people started chronicling their campaigns, which is something you really don't see in the west. And by "chronicle", I mean, write out the script of what happened as if it were an episodic series (they even call it a Replay). Which led to games, anime, and all sorts of stuff that was literally just adaptations of people's D&D campaigns. So yeah, D&D inspired a series of games that inspired a buncha stuff in japan which resulted in D&D getting ported over to Japan and even more derivatives to be born from that.

But back to Final Fantasy, one of the things they had to change for all future titles to avoid copyright issues with D&D was the Vancian Casting spell slots system. If it wasn't for D&D we wouldn't have MP. In addition, the Red, White and Black Mages? Copied from Dragonlance's Wizards from the Tower of High Sorcery, where you were forced to pick either the White Robes (beneficial magic, you were a good guy), Red Robes (earned magic faster than the other two but were less good at either, Neutral Guy), and Black Robes (fastest gain of power, bad guy). Combine those three Magic-Users with Fighter, Monk and Thief and you have an old-school D&D party setup. Right down to holy people (clerics/white mages) wielding bludgeoning weapons instead of bladed weapons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That RUB is a pretty dick move for people that like to keep their dudes evenly leveled (and an extra dick move for killing the only guy on your team worth a drat in a fight). All the PRO gamers just make a save outside and reset until RUB misses.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Finally caught up on all the videos. It's occasionally painful, since this was a game I started playing when I was six. I'll look forward to seeing you guys improve with each following game.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

ddegenha posted:

Finally caught up on all the videos. It's occasionally painful, since this was a game I started playing when I was six. I'll look forward to seeing you guys improve with each following game.

Yeah, I am almost embarrassed at how hi-tech I thought the game was when I was 8.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Xenocides posted:

Yeah, I am almost embarrassed at how hi-tech I thought the game was when I was 8.

I remember that I wouldn't set foot in the Marsh Cave as a kid without 99 heal potions and 20 pures. Of course, I found the Peninsula of Power on my own, so money wasn't a problem.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
This inspired me to pick up origins on PSN and I powered through to the marsh cave tonight. Dang it feels good man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Finally got around to watching these videos, and I'm absolutely loving your guys' commentary. Especially the pizza shop, and the robot talk sections. Keep it up. :thumbsup: