Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

"Godspeed you poor sons of bitches."
:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 18 :siren:

We attended a wedding for a mutual friend over the weekend and I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so...RESPONSES AWAY

Jobbo_Fett posted:

A work of true beauty

Thank you. Just...thank you. :unsmith:

Schwartzcough posted:

I think you're also getting to the point where you might want to start looking up gear you get to see what casts spells before you sell it. All sorts of gear can do it, you're rarely given any hint as to what can do it, and those items are often worth holding onto for the rest of the game. I don't think you have any yet, though.

Yeah I've started doing light research before we start recording, so that we have a good idea of what direction we're heading. I will make sure to check out what we might add to or sell from our inventory as well.

SonicRulez posted:

I may not keep up on this thread all the time, because the first few Final Fantasies are very VERY boring, but if you complete this project you are the new God-King of the Multiverse. Forever. Good luck, mates.

That's fair, we'll be glad to have you when the games interest you. Thanks!

Sunning posted:

Nasir Gebell, an Iranian programmer, was the lead programmer on the first three Final Fantasy games (and Rad Racer). Others at Square said Nasir was the technical backbone of the games and played a pivotal role in making the Final Fantasy series into a success. Allegedly, he was very talented but language barriers and inexperience in programming JRPGs lead to the weird bugs in the games. Hironobu Sakaguchi and John Romero tried to find him and invite him to a 25th Final Fantasy anniversary party back in 2012.

That explains the NASIR in the opening credits. I hope he's doing well.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I just played through both Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy for the first time. I'm on Dragon Warrior 2 now, and I think for the time being, I'll be swapping between the series. At least the nes entries.

How is Dragon Warrior 2? I've never played it, and I doubt Cory has either.

SWMadness posted:

Whoa, good luck with this project. It's quite undertaking but I like the idea of having more video LPs for the franchise games, so godspeed.

Surprised to see you doing the Theatrhythm games too, I was considering doing an LP myself for Curtain Call but I don't have a lot of good options for recording from my 3DS right now. At this rate, you guys won't there for several years though, so who knows!

Thanks! Yeah we're going to dip into Theatrhythm. It's far enough down the line that we're looking into saving for a 3DS capture card in the next couple of years, so that'll probably be how it ends up getting done. Thanks to the nature of the project, we have plenty of time to pinch our pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
DW2 is pretty good. Not as good as 3 & 4 though, but all of them are better than 1. I would never replay 1 if I didn't have a soft spot for it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sloober posted:

DW2 is pretty good. Not as good as 3 & 4 though, but all of them are better than 1. I would never replay 1 if I didn't have a soft spot for it.

Yeah, several years ago I started in my free time playing through the DWs, in order. As I'm kinda addicted to grinding (:smithicide:) and am ONLY doing it as a side thing when I feel like it, I only just got to DW4. The series really so far does a great job of having each game build upon what has already been established in the series, making each one bigger and more expansive than the last one. Part 2 is interesting in that it is a MUCH bigger world than part 1, and brings in multiple party members, though you still can't choose how each one grows. For better or for worse, part three does away with that and leaves your party completely customizable, though there are several parts where key plots require specific class characters. Part 4 goes back to set classes, but has an interesting structure where the first half of the game follows various characters on mini-quests, eventually having them all come together for one big party with swappable characters and classes for the second half of the game. I'm playing the DS remake, and there've been...interesting choices regarding accents in different regions of the world.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFarterburgr posted:

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 18 :siren:

How is Dragon Warrior 2? I've never played it, and I doubt Cory has either.

It's good. Definitely a step up from DW 1, but even though they're contemporary, it feels a little behind the curve of Final Fantasy in terms of mechanics. Still worth a play if you liked the first one.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's good. Definitely a step up from DW 1, but even though they're contemporary, it feels a little behind the curve of Final Fantasy in terms of mechanics. Still worth a play if you liked the first one.

It's a rough leveling curve with some real bullshit surprises. Rhoooooooone :argh:

The later entries cut way back on the grind. DW2 is Grind Central Station.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Bellmaker posted:

It's a rough leveling curve with some real bullshit surprises. Rhoooooooone :argh:

The later entries cut way back on the grind. DW2 is Grind Central Station.

Tell me about it. Although I believe that in the original there's a certain period where experience required for levels flattens out, and it's right about where you'd reach Rhone and do a bit of grinding at the shrine there.

Also, for the video, I usually just skip going back to the Marsh Cave since there's nothing in there that's really all that great. Final Fantasy I is from that golden time before the best gear was hidden away in places where you'd need to backtrack or do some kind of complicated scheme to find it. What you find in the next dungeon is usually just a straight up upgrade or free stuff so you don't have to buy it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I still think DW3 has some serious grinding periods in it, especially in the back third or so of the game. so far DW4 only seems to encourage grinding enough to afford all the best gear, but by that point you should be coasting through the challenges anyways.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

On the topic of color blindness. There actually are glasses that can sort of "fix" certain types. But from what I understand people who have been color blind all their lives just don't really notice or think about color the way someone who isn't might.

Also that was a great transition right into some sweet sweet Sailor Moon lore.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ddegenha posted:

Tell me about it. Although I believe that in the original there's a certain period where experience required for levels flattens out, and it's right about where you'd reach Rhone and do a bit of grinding at the shrine there.

Also, for the video, I usually just skip going back to the Marsh Cave since there's nothing in there that's really all that great. Final Fantasy I is from that golden time before the best gear was hidden away in places where you'd need to backtrack or do some kind of complicated scheme to find it. What you find in the next dungeon is usually just a straight up upgrade or free stuff so you don't have to buy it.

I go back to the marsh cave usually because it's got a decent amount of gold behind those few locked doors, nothing massive and you can easily make up for it with dedicated grinding, but the completionist in my demands I open up all locked doors. (And it is semi convenient with having to go back to Astos's castle.

In other news I completed my playthrough of this (Frameskip is awesome and is probably the only way I can play old Nintendo RPGs) - my characters were all at L24 on ending. I think they were only 10 by the time they finished the earth cave.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
On the subject of Were-Weapons, the 'Were' half of were-things means man. It's from old English, which had Man (All humans) Werman (Male humans) and Wyfman (Female Humans). Wer- fell out of use over the ages, leaving us with the current use of Man and Woman, and through its presence in the 'ol Manwolf legends is now commonly used to mean a thing that transforms into another thing. :eng101:

Later FFs will pick up the concept of human-type enemies for some weakness patterns, but I don't think any have thought to slip in a WereWeapon that's strong against them.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 19 :siren:

Sloober posted:

Yeah. Dragon Warrior is an important game, but it is not good by most standards. Seems like everyone is echoing that the grind continues as well. Maybe one day I'll play those games, but probably not until we are no longer honor-bound to play JRPGS all the time anyway.

D_W posted:

On the topic of color blindness. There actually are glasses that can sort of "fix" certain types. But from what I understand people who have been color blind all their lives just don't really notice or think about color the way someone who isn't might.

Also that was a great transition right into some sweet sweet Sailor Moon lore.

Yeah it seems like it would be difficult to see a color you've never seen before, even with glasses assisting you. I'd think the brain would just correct it to something you know.

Sloober posted:

I go back to the marsh cave usually because it's got a decent amount of gold behind those few locked doors, nothing massive and you can easily make up for it with dedicated grinding, but the completionist in my demands I open up all locked doors. (And it is semi convenient with having to go back to Astos's castle.

In other news I completed my playthrough of this (Frameskip is awesome and is probably the only way I can play old Nintendo RPGs) - my characters were all at L24 on ending. I think they were only 10 by the time they finished the earth cave.

Yeah if we didn't go back I figure we'd get nagged for it, so might as well show off as much as we reasonably can. And that's a good benchmark to keep in mind.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

On the subject of Were-Weapons, the 'Were' half of were-things means man. It's from old English, which had Man (All humans) Werman (Male humans) and Wyfman (Female Humans). Wer- fell out of use over the ages, leaving us with the current use of Man and Woman, and through its presence in the 'ol Manwolf legends is now commonly used to mean a thing that transforms into another thing. :eng101:

Later FFs will pick up the concept of human-type enemies for some weakness patterns, but I don't think any have thought to slip in a WereWeapon that's strong against them.

This is fascinating, thanks. Given Final Fantasy's predilection for human enemies that transform into bigger bads, I'm sure we'll have occasion to throw around the prefix with impunity :)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

For the record, another free-time thing I'm doing is I'm one of those weirdos going through and watching the old doctor who episodes. Though I'm very slow at it, as I said it's just a free time thing. (I've only just started season 3). The "Lost" episodes all have their audio found (I don't know how that works) so you have "reconstructions" of those episodes, either through production still photography, or animatic type things with mild animation drawings of the episodes.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 20 :siren:

^^ Then we are birds of a feather as far as crazy enterprises go. I still can't fathom how it's possible that a TV show from the last 50 years could have lost footage, but the audio is something at least.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

^^ Then we are birds of a feather as far as crazy enterprises go. I still can't fathom how it's possible that a TV show from the last 50 years could have lost footage, but the audio is something at least.

Because the building they kept the footage in caught fire. I'm thinking of another show apparently? :shrug: The only way they actually recovered a lot of those old episodes is because fans of the show taped 'em. I think there's a "prize" where anyone who manages to find a copy of an episode is given a 1/1 scale Dalek replica.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 11, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you want to know more about the lost episodes, this guy is very informative. Long story short, the BBC intentionally destroyed the episodes because they didn't think there would be a market for old episodes (this was before VHS) and storing old tapes was expensive.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 11, 2015

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 21 :siren:

The fact that they were willing to destroy the episode originals for storage reasons makes me wonder how many other older TV shows have "lost episodes". It just seems so crazy to me to not have a long-term storage plan in place for a cultural artifact like that. But I suppose digital storage has really changed all that.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

The fact that they were willing to destroy the episode originals for storage reasons makes me wonder how many other older TV shows have "lost episodes". It just seems so crazy to me to not have a long-term storage plan in place for a cultural artifact like that. But I suppose digital storage has really changed all that.

No one at the time thought people would want to rewatch these shows 50 years later. Or that they'd still be making more of it.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Congratulations on beating Lich. As you noticed he (or she, but I believe it is a he) isn't really difficult for your team since everyone has 200+ hp. More often than not, getting to him is far, far harder than he is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The fact that they were willing to destroy the episode originals for storage reasons makes me wonder how many other older TV shows have "lost episodes".

Here you go. And this is just the UK.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Congratulations on beating Lich. As you noticed he (or she, but I believe it is a he) isn't really difficult for your team since everyone has 200+ hp. More often than not, getting to him is far, far harder than he is.

Yeah, bosses in this game in general are the sprint to the finish line of a marathon. I think the only boss that is actually harder than getting to it is Astos, just because he's not in a dungeon.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, bosses in this game in general are the sprint to the finish line of a marathon. I think the only boss that is actually harder than getting to it is Astos, just because he's not in a dungeon.

Unless you count getting the crown :suicide:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
You guys need to get acquainted with the wonders of FAST. It's haste, and since you're D&D guys that's all that needs to be said.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

It seems appropriate to bring up in this thread, but Square is/was notoriously terrible about retaining game assets. Like, many of their ports and "remakes" had to be built from the ground up because the company just immediately got rid of all assets for most of its games right after they were released, up through at least the PS1 era. It's mind-boggling that a multi-million dollar company wouldn't have some kind of archiving, but there you go.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Clearing of all assets, including source code, after a game was completed in Japan wasn't incompetence, but standard business practice for most companies until probably late ps2 era. The first other example that comes to mind is Konami's Silent Hill HD collection being all screwed up is because they had tossed out the original games' source code and had to reverse engineer it from the release version.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

It seems appropriate to bring up in this thread, but Square is/was notoriously terrible about retaining game assets. Like, many of their ports and "remakes" had to be built from the ground up because the company just immediately got rid of all assets for most of its games right after they were released, up through at least the PS1 era. It's mind-boggling that a multi-million dollar company wouldn't have some kind of archiving, but there you go.

I want to say it went beyond that, and they had lost the sources for Kingdom Hearts when they went and did the HD remake, and had to do all the graphics from scratch.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

FF1 is more about the path to the bosses than the bosses themselves, since none of the bosses (IIRC) can rub or stone on hit, while a number of random encounters have instakill spells/hits, stone hits, nasty breath attacks etc. One of the fiends is even vulnerable to an instakill spell.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

ddegenha posted:

You guys need to get acquainted with the wonders of FAST. It's haste, and since you're D&D guys that's all that needs to be said.

Yea, casting FAST on your fighter in round one should be top priority in a boss fight.

Also, while getting to the boss is indeed the harder part, a few of the bosses can just wreck your back line if they feel like it. This party doesn't have to worry about that too much since they're all pretty beefy, but if you had a black mage or were a few levels lower, Lich can be terrifying with that ICE2 spell.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 22 :siren:

ddegenha posted:

Ok, we'll use it in the next boss fight (or at least I will try to remember).

Schwartzcough posted:

This is so hard for me to wrap my mind around. Storage was obviously a lot different 20 years ago, but the fact that I can spend $100 on a device that will store the next 2 years of this LP really warps your perception of what it means to store data.

Davinci posted:

Clearing of all assets, including source code, after a game was completed in Japan wasn't incompetence, but standard business practice for most companies until probably late ps2 era. The first other example that comes to mind is Konami's Silent Hill HD collection being all screwed up is because they had tossed out the original games' source code and had to reverse engineer it from the release version.

Now I understand why those ports are so hosed. I'd hate to have been on the team that had to try to tackle reverse engineering a game like that :eek:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

You guys should try swapping around your Silver Bracelet sometime. Any class can equip the armlets, and they provide good defense and good evasion (or at least a smaller penalty than most armor). At the very least, the Silver version is better than any armor your Thief can equip, by far.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Not sure if you guys were being sarcastic or not, but the L6 magicks cost 20,000, not 620,000.

And Lisa really, really wants EXIT.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Not sure if you guys were being sarcastic or not, but the L6 magicks cost 20,000, not 620,000.

She can't learn it yet though

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gully Foyle posted:

She can't learn it yet though

Yup you're right :sigh:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

ddegenha posted:

A high level Black Belt/Master with FAST can one-shot almost anything.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ooof, you guys need to be careful. You keep walking up to chests, triggering enemies, healing yourself, then walking away without opening the chests.

Most guides I've seen recommend skipping the Volcano until near the end of the game. It's a pain and none of the treasures are that great. I think now that you have the canoe you can go pretty much anywhere, and there are some great treasures to start hunting down elsewhere.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Ooof, you guys need to be careful. You keep walking up to chests, triggering enemies, healing yourself, then walking away without opening the chests.

Most guides I've seen recommend skipping the Volcano until near the end of the game. It's a pain and none of the treasures are that great. I think now that you have the canoe you can go pretty much anywhere, and there are some great treasures to start hunting down elsewhere.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people that consider skipping the volcano not even being sequence breaking in this day and age, and just moving on. Once you defeat Lich, technically the whole rest of the game besides the final dungeon potentially opens up for you.

Also, if I could sidebar for a moment, as we're far enough along, I love the Dawn of Souls version of the game, just for the additional dungeons, that each open up after you defeat a fiend. They add a whole bunch of fun, and sometimes funny content to the game, including deliberately fueling the Dissidia-centric fan-theory of a multi-dimensional unified universe between the games. And Gilgamesh hopping around the dimensions, looking for the Excalibur, and hoping to fight Bartz again. When we get further along in the series, I might point out a few more fine points in this theory, and how there's connections in a few of the games to each other. Speaking of Dawn of Souls, are you guys going to take any looks at remakes for the differences in your retrospective? It should be noted that while I'm not very familiar with it, the DoS content for FFII is an entire second half of the story, epilogue type game ala FFIV: The After Years, rather than like the small, optional bonus content it adds to FFI.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I think its better if they try to play it in the way the game was designed to (by which I mean the Volcano is the destination being pointed to by the NPCs). I think that gives a better idea of the developers intent, and the way that people playing it for the first time back in the day before internet guides. Also, if you skip it till the end, then there will basically be no challenge. Its not that bad (with enough healing potions), and some of the treasures are nice upgrades to what they have.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dan Simmons is pretty awesome. I just read The Abominable, which is much in the vein of his other historical fiction/horror novels like The Terror or Drood, and to a lesser extent his debut Song of Kali. It's about a group searching for another lost mountain climber who was following the ill-fated Mallory and Irvine attempt on Everest.

I like IT, and it's kind of important to King's whole Dark Tower mythos, but it's ending is really hosed up.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Now I understand why those ports are so hosed. I'd hate to have been on the team that had to try to tackle reverse engineering a game like that :eek:

The ports are hosed because Hyjinx is incompetent. They claimed to have worked with outdated dev builds for whatever reason which is just mind-boggling. Bluepoint have done several HD remasters and they're the ones that reverse-engineer through retail copies of games and all of their ports have been nearly perfect.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
About the whole D&D thing, I seemed to recall that not only did Final Fantasy 1 steal the magic system from Dragonlance, wasn't the bestiary basically stolen wholesale from AD&D... just googled it basically sans like maybe 11 of the 128 monsters ALL of them come from AD&D, even some monsters that weren't common in fantasy till D&D

http://finalfantasy.istad.org/2013/01/final-fantasy-vs-dnd/#bestiary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 23 :siren:

Bellmaker posted:

Nope, we're just really dumb. We figure it out in this episode.

Schwartzcough posted:

I am the worst about this. I don't know why I can't remember that the fight tiles mean that I need to open the chest AFTER the fight, not before. But yeah we're trying to do things in the order that the game seems to indicate is what we should do, and not use guides TOO much. We definitely had to pull out our Nintendo Power for our last recording session though.

Choco1980 posted:

When we get further along in the series, I might point out a few more fine points in this theory, and how there's connections in a few of the games to each other. Speaking of Dawn of Souls, are you guys going to take any looks at remakes for the differences in your retrospective? It should be noted that while I'm not very familiar with it, the DoS content for FFII is an entire second half of the story, epilogue type game ala FFIV: The After Years, rather than like the small, optional bonus content it adds to FFI.

We are planning on visiting some of the remakes, although in what capacity I'm not sure. It might be one-off videos showing the graphical/gameplay updates, but if there's significant content additions like you're talking about for FFII, we could consider playing more. Also, I guess people should probably want that instead of being disappointed that their favorite game is further delayed by remake videos taking space in the queue. It's a tricky balance.

Lady Naga posted:

The ports are hosed because Hyjinx is incompetent. They claimed to have worked with outdated dev builds for whatever reason which is just mind-boggling. Bluepoint have done several HD remasters and they're the ones that reverse-engineer through retail copies of games and all of their ports have been nearly perfect.

Well gently caress them I guess then. I now keep it on my shelf as a reminder to look at reviews before buying things I'm not sure about.