Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FrancisFarterburgr posted:

Well gently caress them I guess then. I now keep it on my shelf as a reminder to look at reviews before buying things I'm not sure about.

If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest the Real Silent Hill Experience series of videos, or at least the ones on the HD ports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya4XhTPMcc
It's incredibly shocking how awful Hyjinx is at their jobs (that sound mixing segment, good God!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

"Godspeed you poor sons of bitches."
:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 24 :siren:

^^ Yeah I watched TRSHE what feels like a long time ago. I kind of hate their obsession with "canon" though, and their recent content has been truly terrible. My problems with the HD ports are heavily weighted towards technical problems, not what the mile markers say (this is literally over a minute of this video. what in the actual gently caress).

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

This is crazy. You're crazy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Like I said, the volcano sucks.

In addition to better stats, I think most of the job upgrades let you equip better stuff.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
You guys probably shouldn't have left the Volcano. You had a RM with several uses of FAST, a Fighter with over 300hp and two other people to take hits. You might have lost someone, but you would have taken her down easily enough. The Red Dragon down there is harder than she is since it can pump out two blaze attacks back to back if it feels like it.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 18, 2015

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I suppose a terrified escape from a dungeon because you're out of healing items IS a pretty defining part of the original FF experience.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 24 :siren:

^^ Yeah I watched TRSHE what feels like a long time ago. I kind of hate their obsession with "canon" though, and their recent content has been truly terrible. My problems with the HD ports are heavily weighted towards technical problems, not what the mile markers say (this is literally over a minute of this video. what in the actual gently caress).

The sinage thing is early in the video because it's a small point that evolves into the larger one (people who aren't at all part of Team Silent tampering with original work for no reason other than that they could).

Also, I think you really had to be entrenched in the SH fanbase to really get their obsession with canonical accuracy; fans of the series absolutely love to shoot off with half-baked theories that have no support from the text and instead come from horrible misunderstandings, translations, or flat out lies from secondary sources and after a while it starts to really wear on you.

I do agree with the horrid dropoff in content quality, the Fungo/Rosseter dynamic was a core part of what made each other tolerable and one without the other isn't nearly as good. Fungo did recently do an extremely entertaining livestream with Guy Chihi and Dave Schaufle that's on his channel though.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 18, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ddegenha posted:

I suppose a terrified escape from a dungeon because you're out of healing items IS a pretty defining part of the original FF experience.

^^^^^^

That feeling of, "Oh poo poo I don't have enough pew pew pew to do this. RUN AWAY!" is basically the first 10+ years of the series.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Like I said, the volcano sucks.

In addition to better stats, I think most of the job upgrades let you equip better stuff.

The new classes have the exact same stat growths as the old ones, so it's actually just better equipment and spells. The exception is the master, which has worse magic defense growth than the black belt because this is an insanely buggy game.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
By the way, the Mindflayers from this game do show up in other Final Fantasy games and look pretty much identical to DnD Mindflayers, I'm not sure how they got away with it (FFT, FF14, probably a few others). Although there are DnD monsters you haven't ran into yet that are in this game but don't really show up in any later Final Fantasy games, I guess DnD has the license for those on lockdown somehow?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The fire fiend isn't too harsh as long as you use AFIR and INV2. Those will let you avoid or reduce the majority of the damage it can put out. It is as resistant to physical damage as Lich was and doesn't have any elemental vulnerabilities. (Even to Ice, which will do more just based off the fact it has a higher spell power than fire/lit)

goldjas posted:

By the way, the Mindflayers from this game do show up in other Final Fantasy games and look pretty much identical to DnD Mindflayers, I'm not sure how they got away with it (FFT, FF14, probably a few others). Although there are DnD monsters you haven't ran into yet that are in this game but don't really show up in any later Final Fantasy games, I guess DnD has the license for those on lockdown somehow?

OGL is weird and some things are on it and others are not - some creatures are 'product identity' and not available under OGL, I imagine as FF gained popularity they shifted to creating their own critters. Illithids should be on that product identity list for WOTC though so maybe they were just different enough in final fantasy to not be able to have a lawsuit or copyright claim against them. Back when Final Fantasy first came out though TSR wasn't owned by WOTC and was pretty liberal with their properties, I think.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sloober posted:

The fire fiend isn't too harsh as long as you use AFIR and INV2. Those will let you avoid or reduce the majority of the damage it can put out. It is as resistant to physical damage as Lich was and doesn't have any elemental vulnerabilities. (Even to Ice, which will do more just based off the fact it has a higher spell power than fire/lit)

OGL is weird and some things are on it and others are not - some creatures are 'product identity' and not available under OGL, I imagine as FF gained popularity they shifted to creating their own critters. Illithids should be on that product identity list for WOTC though so maybe they were just different enough in final fantasy to not be able to have a lawsuit or copyright claim against them. Back when Final Fantasy first came out though TSR wasn't owned by WOTC and was pretty liberal with their properties, I think.

Like I said before, coming soon there's going to be a mini-boss that they dramatically changed from the original, to avoid copyrights at least according to what I've read on The Cutting Room Floor.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Like I said before, coming soon there's going to be a mini-boss that they dramatically changed from the original, to avoid copyrights at least according to what I've read on The Cutting Room Floor.

I don't really view the game as having minibosses but I imagine it's the Eye from the ice cave, or the same monster model from the temple of fiends, as those are very clearly supposed to be beholders which are an D&D product identity creature.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Sloober posted:

Yup, TSR generally didn't mind if people used bits of their stuff here and there and had a sense of humor over it. To the point when WOTC bought the rights to the D&D they actually didn't buy the system. All they wound up buying was the name. (hense why 3rd is so radically different from 1st and 2nd edition)

The 2nd edition system had gotten an offer from a different company while WOTC was in negotiations for the name. The TSR guys were actually pretty pissed at WOTC for some reason and pushed through selling the rights to the system before WOTC could finish their deal effectively saving the current system from WOTC. There were two of the contract stipulations with the company that bought the system. One was that they needed at least one of the ex-TSR staff for (bla) number of years to make sure the game stayed true to what it was. The second was that the game had to have a sense of humor and to pick on its self.

Hence Hackmaster was born.

All of this was from a conversation I had at a large game convention between one of the newer employees at the company that bought Hackmaster, said ex-TSR staff and myself. TSR was really worried that WOTC would just mutilate their system horribly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sloober posted:

Spoilers

You're correct, I'll post more info when we get there, which shouldn't be too long.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 25 :siren:

Well if you were hoping we went straight back and killed the fire fiend...sorry?

Fister Roboto posted:

The new classes have the exact same stat growths as the old ones, so it's actually just better equipment and spells. The exception is the master, which has worse magic defense growth than the black belt because this is an insanely buggy game.

This is hilarious.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Well if you were hoping we went straight back and killed the fire fiend...sorry?

Don't be sorry, it's what makes FF1 so compelling. It isn't until 5 and 6 that they get back to such openness.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That was a pretty spectacular ending. I dunno what I would have done if Andy would have pulled through.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

This is hilarious.

Nice ending. I'm guessing Andy could wear the Zeus gauntlet (since he's the one guy you didn't try it on, of course).

So you can get Ballast Point Brewing Company stuff where you are? Try Victory At Sea coffee vanilla porter if you can find it (also covered in skeletons); it's fantastic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Nice ending. I'm guessing Andy could wear the Zeus gauntlet (since he's the one guy you didn't try it on, of course).

Nah, they're right in guessing that it's an upgraded characters only equip. The game makes it pretty clear with the gear and magic that even though there's some open endedness to it, if you aren't promoting by the time you're done with the Southern Hemisphere, then you done messed up, son.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Zeus gauntlet is more valuable as a use item than a piece of armor, and sorcerors are one of many bullshit enemies as they can instakill on hit.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Ars Arcanum posted:

Now I'm really in the mood to boot up my copy of the first game.

I'm too busy/cheap/lazy to play through all the FF games, so I look forward to this. I admit I don't expect you'll actually finish this thing, but I hope you do. Good luck, guys.

I changed my mind and decided to do a sympathy playthrough alongside you guys. Not going to LP it of course, but as much as I can (I have copies of most of the games up to XIII) I'll play what you're playing.

So at least you'll know someone is out there sharing your pain (and probably ingesting even more alcohol than you).

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Pretty awesome ending. Too bad it means basically zero progress. I also hope its not too much of a spoiler to say that you guys have an Item menu during battle.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Yeah, spellcasting equipment does a lot for your staying power in dungeons, and you've two of the good ones in hand with the Zeus Glove and Heal Staff.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
The heal staff gave my white mage something to do since she doesn't hit so hard, I think she hits less hard in Origins since she frequently misses or only does like 2 dmg, hard to remember since I stopped so they can catch up.

Edit: eeegah, you guys drank The Beast? I didn't like it and tried to sell it for half price, no one would buy it until I sold the whole case for 50c.

vvv: I did the same thing and bought it on psn so I could play it on both my ps3 and psp.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 19, 2015

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Yeah, spellcasting equipment does a lot for your staying power in dungeons, and you've two of the good ones in hand with the Zeus Glove and Heal Staff.

Yeah, these are totally game changers. My White Mage went through a period of near uselessness til I got the party leveled up, because the cure spells get too weak and her combat maxes out really low and early (she doesn't make a dent even with a strong weapon in mid-range monsters). Aside from having her attack undead monsters with magic, she mostly just attacks with the magic items now.

I'm almost certain she misses with the hammer more in the Origins version, too (which is the only one I have right now...though I had to buy it on PSN because for some reason my Origins disc wouldn't run the game properly :mad:). I admit I haven't played the original NES one in probably 15 years, though.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 26 :siren:

We learn to use spell items in this episode!

Choco1980 posted:

That was a pretty spectacular ending. I dunno what I would have done if Andy would have pulled through.

I would have absolutely lost my mind. And he wasn't that far off!

Ars Arcanum posted:

I changed my mind and decided to do a sympathy playthrough alongside you guys. Not going to LP it of course, but as much as I can (I have copies of most of the games up to XIII) I'll play what you're playing.

So at least you'll know someone is out there sharing your pain (and probably ingesting even more alcohol than you).

Hahaha awesome. Let us know how it goes!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

I would have absolutely lost my mind. And he wasn't that far off!

He really wasn't. You had some horrible luck with those FIR3 spells. Glad to see you guys bounce back and keep pressing forward.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I do really like how this is not only an LP, but a Let's Drink (tasty sounding beer).

One thing that may be handy to know is that you don't need to have an item equipped to use it in battle.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So this site is pretty good for having decent maps of old video games (which is to say, at least half of the Final Fantasy series): http://www.vgmaps.com/

And for FF1 in particular: http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#FinalFantasy

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Modern games have kind of spoiled us, but the biggest innovation that FF1 gave us was probably its clean, clear menu system. So many games from that era are hard to play because their menus are hard to interpret and navigate, but not this one. They got the ergonomics just right.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

I typically do the volcano last because the dungeon doesn't have anything particularly good in it compared to, well, everywhere else. It doesn't even have any use items or gear that stands out. As far as the technical dungeon ordering goes the Ordeals castle is 3rd after the volcano and ice cave, but it's easier than both of them and contains the almighty heal staff and zeus gauntlet. After you do the ice cave and ordeals though you are pretty free to go just about anywhere, although you do have to dip your toes in the 3rd orb dungeon in order to get into the 4th.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bregor posted:

That feeling of, "Oh poo poo I don't have enough pew pew pew to do this. RUN AWAY!" is basically the first 10+ years of the series.

i just completely lost an FF2 save in DoS because I saved midway through a dungeon and found out that I did not in fact have enough pew pew pew to finish or to make it back out the way I came in. No MP for teleport. There goes my drive to play that game for another few years.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
What is "pew pew pew"? Potions, spells, something else? I haven't played FF2 yet, but pew pew pew sounds ridiculous. And sounds like something the early Finaly Fantasies would name something.

vvv: Got it. Thank you.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 20, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's a common onomatopoeia for the noise of a gun firing. Here it's being used as a way of saying firepower and also because describing guns and shooting in such a childlike manner is mildly amusing.

FrancisFarterburgr
Feb 16, 2008

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 27 :siren:

This episode is very buggy. We're trying some alternative recording settings tonight to see if we can fix the problem. I am beginning to hate our capture device.

SonicRulez posted:

i just completely lost an FF2 save in DoS because I saved midway through a dungeon and found out that I did not in fact have enough pew pew pew to finish or to make it back out the way I came in. No MP for teleport. There goes my drive to play that game for another few years.

Oh no...that sounds really rough :ohdear:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

SonicRulez posted:

I did that in 5 a few years ago.

Still play it, but that's because it's my favourite.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh boy, you guys finally got to the Ice Cave. :allears:

I might have been waiting for this to happen since this LP started. Welcome to the meanest place in this game. However, you guys are a little overleveled for this place, so you should be ok.

Still guessing three tries to make it through.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

:siren: Update: Final Fantasy Episode 27 :siren:

This episode is very buggy. We're trying some alternative recording settings tonight to see if we can fix the problem. I am beginning to hate our capture device.

Oh no...that sounds really rough :ohdear:

I think I had a similar experience with the ice cave my first time through. 8 year old Choco: "Huh, these fights seem really easy, that's wei--OH MOTHER OF GOD NO!!" I almost think they deliberately throttle the difficulty up and down in the cave to lull you with a false sense of security. The whole level can eat a bag of dicks.

Regarding FF2 sounding scary, well it kind of is. It's basically SaGa 0, with the way the mechanics work--which is VERY different from other Final Fantasies. (Funny enough, Final Fantasy Legend III (aka SaGa 3) played out like a Final Fantasy instead). Just be aware that you're playing a far more RNG-powered game, and you can get through it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Choco1980 posted:

I almost think they deliberately throttle the difficulty up and down in the cave to lull you with a false sense of security. The whole level can eat a bag of dicks.

No no, everything in that cave is pain. The undead in there are getting past the "We deal 3-4 damage and stun you" bit and into the 40-50 damage range. Packs of Wizards can whittle away at your backline with their heavy hits. The petrifying "birds" are there in force, and oh hey! Terrifying spellcasters and Ice Dragons abound. Everything is built to wear you down and tap your resources.

This is not a place you carve through like the Gurgu Volcano, this is a place where you fight where you have to, and run the gently caress away from everything else. Good luck getting through, and be thankful you have a full team to take hits, because anyone who's ever done a single character run still shudders at the thought of this place.