Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Sheep-Goats posted:

Billbo Cosby's contribution to stand up is probably slightly greater than Woodrow Allen's contribution to movies so in both cases they get a half pass.

i listened to old cosby standup records and uh i understand WHY they are funny but nothing nearly as good as red fox or carlin or poo poo a BUNCH of other comedians from the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

matrix ripoff posted:

i listened to old cosby standup records and uh i understand WHY they are funny but nothing nearly as good as red fox or carlin or poo poo a BUNCH of other comedians from the time

:agreed:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

Woody Allen didn't molest anyone

Still lolling at this

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nefarious posted:

where are you getting police. there were no police involved in the investigation, nor were there any psychologists. there were 2 social workers and a pediatrician who all destroyed their notes before submitting the report.

quit making poo poo up so you can watch a pedophile's lovely movies with a clear conscience

I feel like I can watch and enjoy his movies and still think he's a piece of poo poo, but also I listen to Graveland

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I feel like I can watch and enjoy his movies and still think he's a piece of poo poo, but also I listen to Graveland

you really should pirate them

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nefarious posted:

you really should pirate them

If you say so, but I think it's mostly posturing to do so cause the guy is going to be unimaginably richer and more successful than me literally no matter what I do lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If it's a notable figure in Hollywood, and they've been accused of diddlin' kids, I think it requires in depth investigation. Y'know, like all cases of kid diddlin' do.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Nefarious posted:

*daughter gives multiple detailed accounts of how and where she was molested*

hmm, no hard evidence, eh? :chord:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial

bro did you know that flying witches are real and chuck norris touched some kids at some podunk daycare? we got detailed accounts here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Humboldt Squid posted:

Roman polanski can only be killed by visagoth polanski it is written

:hfive:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

matrix ripoff posted:

Nigga you can't say "not as good as Carlin" like it's an insult.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

matrix ripoff posted:

pffffft when mj died there was NOTHIN but praise for him - tho he wasn't convicted, so, ya know, whatever

They need something like Operation Yewtree in the US. When Leon Brittan died, the newspapers were like "finally, we can print all the accusations and he can't sue us".

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Stottie Kyek posted:

They need something like Operation Yewtree in the US. When Leon Brittan died, the newspapers were like "finally, we can print all the accusations and he can't sue us".

Defamation laws are a lot stricter here as well, so I don't know why the American press doesn't go to town.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
the victim's response about it years later is all kinds of hosed

quote:

SPIEGEL: When listening to you, and after reading your book, it's easy to get the impression that you don't think that what Polanski did to you was all that bad.

Geimer: At any rate, I was never as devastated and traumatized as people claimed I was. What I still don't understand is that if everyone felt that what Roman did was so terrible, why do they still want to see me as a deeply traumatized victim? Oh, Polanski did this to you -- but why, then, aren't you in worse shape?

SPIEGEL: We don't understand that.

Geimer: I'm also a feminist. I understand the motives of the women who attacked me publicly. But they wanted me to feel like a victim, because only a deeply hurt victim could truly benefit them and their cause. But I wasn't one. To this day, I don't feel that I was a victim of Roman, but rather a victim of the public, the courts and the media. That explains this book and this interview.

SPIEGEL: You met him eight years after the murder of Sharon Tate. He wanted to take test shots of you. Your mother had agreed to that?

Geimer: Yes. But when she wanted to come along, Roman said it wasn't such a good idea. The two of us walked up the street behind our house, and he started taking pictures. At some point he asked me to change my top. I wasn't wearing a bra, because I didn't need one yet, and I turned away from him to change. The funny thing was that he kept taking pictures. And then he asked me to turn around.

SPIEGEL: Didn't that seem strange to you?

Geimer: It was 1977. The world was different then. I grew up at a time when 13-year-old Jodie Foster played a prostitute in "Taxi Driver." Soon afterwards, Brooke Shields was in "Pretty Baby," playing a 12-year-old prostitute. The sexualization of girls my age was mainstream. It was everywhere. That's why it didn't seem very odd. I know how strange that sounds today.

Geimer: I didn't think so. I definitely wasn't the only one at the time. Roman was constantly asking me whether I liked it. I didn't reply. He was the movie director, so he could write his own dialogue. He asked me when I had had my last period. But I was too confused and too high to remember. Then he asked me: "Would you want me to go through your back?" I had no idea what he was talking about, but to be on the safe side, I said "no." When it did happen, I thought to myself: "Wait a minute, was that my butt?"

SPIEGEL: It sounds horrible. It's hard to listen to.

Geimer: It horrifies everyone. At the time, it wasn't clear to me that what was called sodomy was such a big deal. It wasn't as bad as everyone thought. It didn't hurt. I was high. All I cared about was that he would get it over with quickly so I could go home. I know that that too sounds odd today.

SPIEGEL: It sounds succinct.

Geimer: I didn't feel good just after that. But I know people who have had worse things done to them.

SPIEGEL: There are people whose lives are destroyed after an experience like that.

Geimer: I wasn't like that. I wasn't raised with that strange sense of shame. Sex wasn't evil. I knew what sex was. No one had ever drummed it into my head that sex was dirty or shameful. Besides, I wasn't afraid for my life. I wasn't afraid that he would hurt me.

SPIEGEL: Not even emotionally?

Geimer: I don't think I had time for that. When it was over, it took less than an hour before "Oh, I can't believe what just happened" turned into a whole world of problems.

SPIEGEL: Actually, you didn't even want to tell your parents about what had happened.

Geimer: Oh no! But I had to talk to someone about it, so I called my ex-boyfriend Steve, who was a few years older than me. My sister overheard me and told my mother. And then all hell broke loose: the police, the hospital, the district attorney's office, Polanski being arrested, the paparazzi, telephones that wouldn't stop ringing. There was no time to reflect.

SPIEGEL: Did you wish that they hadn't called the police?

Geimer: I thought so at the time and repeatedly over the years. But what else should my mother have done? She couldn't simply let it go. Did we know what we were in for? No. Maybe it would be more obvious nowadays. If it had been my daughter, I would also have called the police.

SPIEGEL: Does your mother share any of the blame?

Geimer: No. But she blames herself because she let me go. We were all naïve. We all made mistakes.

SPIEGEL: Would you call it rape?

Geimer: I was 13. Under the law, it was rape.

SPIEGEL: And morally?

Geimer: I didn't want it. I tried to say no. That makes it rape. Did I think it was rape at the time? No. I thought rape meant physical violence or kidnapping. Then I got home and everyone was shouting: "You're 13. It's rape!" I was really surprised.

SPIEGEL: After he had dropped you off at home, Polanski went to his friend Robert De Niro's house. Apparently he didn't feel guilty at all.

Geimer: Polanski didn't think he had done anything wrong. He hadn't intended to hurt me. He wanted me to enjoy it. I was stunned when I heard the next day that Polanski had been arrested. And then Anjelica Huston was also arrested. She was Nicholson's girlfriend at the time and had walked in on us during the sex in Nicholson's house. When the police searched Nicholson's house for evidence, they found cocaine in Huston's purse. So there I was: Polanski was arrested, Huston was arrested and Nicholson certainly wasn't happy that all of this had happened in his house. Great start to my acting career. I knew that it wasn't my fault. But I felt bad.

SPIEGEL: Isn't it odd that Polanski, but you too, apparently, didn't think having sex with a 13-year-old was such a big deal?

Geimer: Today it's hard to imagine what the mood was like in the late '70's, especially in Hollywood. Elvis Presley had married Priscilla in the '60's. She was 14 when Elvis met her. Woody Allen's "Manhattan" was an homage to a middle-aged man in love with a teenager. I saw a photo of Don Johnson with his later wife Melanie Griffith sitting on his lap. She was 14 when they met. The girl who becomes a woman was no taboo. The term child abuse didn't exist. Or at least no one talked about it.

SPIEGEL: Do you accept that as justification?

Geimer: There is no justification. Roman should have known better. But you have to recognize that people behaved somewhat differently at the time when it came to sexual matters. Roman believed, as he said later on, that his actions had been based on warmth and affection. And you know what? I believe him. Condemning it from today's perspective is ignoring the historical context. Nevertheless, it was lovely of him to do it, no matter what he thought at the time, and no matter how he feels today.

SPIEGEL: We are experiencing a similar debate in Germany at the moment. Members of the Green Party, a liberal, leftist environmental party, stand accused of having supported and downplayed sexuality with children in the 1980s, for ideological or pedagogical reasons, but apparently without malicious intentions.

Geimer: Anyone who was somewhere between 13 and 45 in the '70's knows that both Roman and your Greens in Germany probably felt exactly that way. There was no calculation or malicious intent involved. Erotic experiences were seen as beneficial. People also believed that emotional growth was fostered by a more expanded -- or early - sexuality. And it applied to both sides, to those with power, like Roman, and to the relatively powerless, like me. Roman didn't see me as a victim.

SPIEGEL: So sexual morality was better in the '70's, even though it may have contributed to what happened to you with Polanski?

Geimer: I thought it was better at the time. Maybe it was just because that was how I grew up. I think it's wrong to establish rules about when sex is okay for an individual and when it isn't. I want to decide that for myself.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

bonvivant posted:

the victim's response about it years later is all kinds of hosed

The bit about different perceptions of sexuality in the 70s is interesting though. A hosed up saga.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
kiss used to sing songs about loving 16 year olds, no one cares about that

gently caress you, OP you are piece of poo poo btw

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I thought the girl was younger than 16. guess it was wrong of me to call him a pedophile. lol

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Dyna Soar posted:

a fitting punishment for polanski would be to spend the rest of his life as charlie mansons cellmate

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Nefarious posted:

where are you getting police. there were no police involved in the investigation, nor were there any psychologists. there were 2 social workers and a pediatrician who all destroyed their notes before submitting the report.

quit making poo poo up so you can watch a pedophile's lovely movies with a clear conscience

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ot-so-fast.html

quote:

Mia’s allegations of molestation automatically triggered a criminal investigation by the Connecticut State Police, who brought in an investigative team from the Yale-New Haven Hospital, whose six-month long inquiry (which included medical examinations) concluded that Dylan had not been molested.

Who investigates child molestation accusations besides the police? Do you seriously believe that it's even possible to prevent police from being involved in something like this?

The guy is a pervert but that one particular molestation accusation didn't happen, and what appears to be a thorough and independent police investigation came to this conclusion. But yeah, all that poo poo was rigged behind the scenes by the mighty Woody Allen. That's a reasonable belief to hold onto.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

midnightclimax posted:

The bit about different perceptions of sexuality in the 70s is interesting though. A hosed up saga.

as i understand it, the 70s was pretty much the only time nambla actually existed as an organization and this all goes a long way towards explaining why

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

Who investigates child molestation accusations besides the police? Do you seriously believe that it's even possible to prevent police from being involved in something like this?

The guy is a pervert but that one particular molestation accusation didn't happen, and what appears to be a thorough and independent police investigation came to this conclusion. But yeah, all that poo poo was rigged behind the scenes by the mighty Woody Allen. That's a reasonable belief to hold onto.

Most states have an office of child welfare or whatever that also gets involved. They're almost universally incompetent and horrible though and the police are the kid's only real hope. After a few years the ladies who work in these departments realize they have no transferrable skills and that their only hope of making more than 24k a year is to move up the ladder, so an already bad situation turns really backwards as office politics become primary for advancement.

raton fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 13, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hold it there, kitty cat.

It's ok to like pre-rape movies and the pianist because it's about the holocaust, but that's it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

nefarious working the contrarian angle tonite in gibbis 2-point-fyad

he is a force for good and bu that i mean evil

WOODY ALLEN IS A SEXUAL PREDATOR

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial

bro did you know that flying witches are real and chuck norris touched some kids at some podunk daycare? we got detailed accounts here

walker gave me aids

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Could someone explain Chinatown's alleged greatness to me? I watched it for the first time ever last week and found it painfully boring except for the last five minutes or so.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

dad gay. so what posted:

kiss used to sing songs about loving 16 year olds, no one cares about that

gently caress you, OP you are piece of poo poo btw

Iggy Pop fesses up in his own autobiography to things happening with a 13 year old he saw in a diner or something. Seems pretty much 50% of guys who made it in the 60s-70s seems to have been at it.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Frostwerks posted:

And his In Memoriam segment at the oscars will have an enormous roomful of the media elite respectfully applauding a literally convicted child rapist. Same with Woody Allen. I guess they got to support their own? gently caress show business is what im saying

how many times has this already happened with child rapists who were never convicted but whos "personal demons as a creative genius" everybody kinda sorta knew about as an open secret. makes you think

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Doflamingo posted:

Could someone explain Chinatown's alleged greatness to me? I watched it for the first time ever last week and found it painfully boring except for the last five minutes or so.

the problem is all those fast cut action movies you watched have numbed you to anything with taste, just as the doritos and mountain dew have ruined your palate

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
if the kiss song yr talking about is going blind the dude doing the loving is 93 so it's kinda tongue in cheek. not that gene & co didn't gently caress little girls, i'm sure they did.

Doflamingo posted:

it's one of the greatest neo noir movies. i guess you don't like film noir or hardboiled detective stories?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

if the kiss song yr talking about is going blind the dude doing the loving is 93 so it's kinda tongue in cheek. not that gene & co didn't gently caress little girls, i'm sure they did.

it's one of the greatest neo noir movies. i guess you don't like film noir or hardboiled detective stories?

You don't even need to be a big fan of those films to like Chinatown. The screenplay is excellent and the performances are spot on. If you don't like Chinatown because its boring then you've been overstimulated by modern film and youve got ADD now or something

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

moose face posted:

You don't even need to be a big fan of those films to like Chinatown. The screenplay is excellent and the performances are spot on. If you don't like Chinatown because its boring then you've been overstimulated by modern film and youve got ADD now or something

Nah, I like plenty of slower paced films as well. Something about Chinatown in particular seemed off to me.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doflamingo posted:

Nah, I like plenty of slower paced films as well. Something about Chinatown in particular seemed off to me.

Its supposed to feel off, but hey if you don't like it then you don't like it but I think its a great movie

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

City of Tampa posted:

do you even read your own posts? the police assembled a team with 3 unqualified people no police officers on it. and, the state attorney said there was probable cause to prosecute allen.

I know allen's bff told you that investigation was the be all end all of it, but if you'd bother reading anything other than that sack of poo poo daily beast article, you'd see it's pretty obvious the guy's a molester

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Iggy Pop fesses up in his own autobiography to things happening with a 13 year old he saw in a diner or something. Seems pretty much 50% of guys who made it in the 60s-70s seems to have been at it.

the 60s and 70s were extremely skeezy times. whenever i see pictures and movies from the period everything has a sickly appearance like theres a fine layer of filth. hell loving shag carpeting was big during the tine and we all know what a nightmare that was.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Nefarious posted:

do you even read your own posts? the police assembled a team with 3 unqualified people no police officers on it. and, the state attorney said there was probable cause to prosecute allen.

I know allen's bff told you that investigation was the be all end all of it, but if you'd bother reading anything other than that sack of poo poo daily beast article, you'd see it's pretty obvious the guy's a molester

He also married his daughter (i know there are weird rationalizations people make about this) so why would molesting his kids be hard to swallow? the dude is a loving creep. i still like his movies though

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Nefarious posted:

Yeah, I understand your point exactly; you believe that the Connecticut State Police and the "unqualified" staff of the Yale-New Haven Hospital colluded to let Woody Allen get away with child molestation. Keep telling yourself that.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

City of Tampa posted:

Yeah, I understand your point exactly; you believe that the Connecticut State Police and the "unqualified" staff of the Yale-New Haven Hospital colluded to let Woody Allen get away with child molestation. Keep telling yourself that.

are you deliberately mischaracterizing the investigation or are you really that dumb

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Seriously.. can we just focus on the good movies he made. Everyone makes mistakes

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Ariza posted:

He also married his daughter (i know there are weird rationalizations people make about this) so why would molesting his kids be hard to swallow? the dude is a loving creep. i still like his movies though

He married the 19 year old adopted daughter of his ex-girlfriend, which admittedly is super creepy and weird but doesn't prove that he molested anyone.

And you have to admit that Mia Farrow had a serious axe to grind with him, so I don't see why it's so hard to believe the findings of the 6 month police investigation.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
oj was acquitted. hm guess the police, lawers, judge and jury were all conspiring to keep a murderer out of jail because they liked the naked gun movies :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Nefarious posted:

oj was acquitted. hm guess the police, lawers, judge and jury were all conspiring to keep a murderer out of jail because they liked the naked gun movies :smug:

OJ was charged and went to trial because there was evidence that suggested that he might be guilty of murder. Woody Allen was not charged because there was no evidence found to support the allegations against him, despite a lengthy independent investigation. It's not quite the same situation.

• Locked thread