Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bartkowski is their 7th D. He doesn't get in unless someone else is hurt or scratched.

He's only played 20 this year too so the chart's probably skewed by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

All I want for Christmas is for Emelin to be someone else's problem.

Maybe a Cody Franson for cheap would be nice

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Columbus may also trade Matt Calvert (please, don't) and Winnipeg is said to be interested (please, don't be), but Jarmo says the rest of the core is staying.

Basically, if they have a deal beyond this season, they're sticking around. And probably rightly so seeing as we still haven't seen the entire team on ice at once this season.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 13, 2015

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This is bullshit right?

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/rumored-trade-leafs-rangers-reveals-asking-price-phil-kessel/

For the love of god tell me this is bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would have to be because I'm pretty sure the Rangers would have pulled the trigger if it was real.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

This is bullshit right?

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/rumored-trade-leafs-rangers-reveals-asking-price-phil-kessel/

For the love of god tell me this is bullshit.
It's unlikely that such a trade will go down, but that sounds about right in terms of value and needs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean that's a lot of pieces but it's for Phil fuckin' Kessel. Who cares about either of those prospects or the 1st. Losing Kreider would be the only real blow and Kessel more than makes up for that

e: but regardless Kessel won't get traded til the draft if he does get dealt. There'd just be a lot more buyers then and much more cap flexibility since it's the off season

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
As much as I wish they wouldn't trade Kessel, I've noticed that everyone always seems to be looking for defencemen. Do they just not have any good coaching for that sort of position in the minors? I mean there have been notable exceptions, but everyone seems to be hurting for them (outside of injuries I mean).

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
No hot shot little kid wants to play D

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I feel like if the Rangers wouldn't give up Kreider to get Nash, they're not going to give him up for Kessel.

...that's just the asking price though, Rangers are going to end up in cap hell when they trade Tanner Glass, McIlrath, and a 2nd for Kessel.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Vicas posted:

No hot shot little kid wants to play D

"You get to hit people and you're basically artillery." I don't know why kids wouldn't want to be that.

Regardless, we're going to need to drop Polak and Robidas eventually and Franson is probably going to be moved. So we're going to need better dmen or good prospects. I would be willing to dish Kessel for another Reilly or Ekblad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zodijackylite posted:

I feel like if the Rangers wouldn't give up Kreider to get Nash, they're not going to give him up for Kessel.

That's not a good thing.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Austrian mook posted:

That's not a good thing.

As long as Kessel has an 8m cap hit it is.

Sather is probably kicking tires and leaked the asking price while laughing.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

HBNRW posted:

As much as I wish they wouldn't trade Kessel, I've noticed that everyone always seems to be looking for defencemen. Do they just not have any good coaching for that sort of position in the minors? I mean there have been notable exceptions, but everyone seems to be hurting for them (outside of injuries I mean).
I don't think it's any different with forwards. It's just something that gets repeated a lot everywhere. No one ever feels like they have enough big men in basketball, or defensive linemen in football, or starting pitchers in baseball. I don't think there's any position specific weakness with the coaching.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Well I was pretty much focusing on sellers and obviously the Sharks wouldn't move an expert veteran defenseman like that when they have cup aspirations

Wow I guess you didn't hear that the Sharks are in rebuild mode now

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

tofes posted:

Wow I guess you didn't hear that the Sharks are in rebuild mode now

is it bad that I wish this was true so at least DW's moves would make sense

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
alright lou, dump off jagr and zidlicky and it's a successful year

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I want to get rid of most of the defense, bit I'm pretty no one will take Hannon Stuart...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bartkowski is their 7th D. He doesn't get in unless someone else is hurt or scratched.

He's only played 20 this year too so the chart's probably skewed by that.

Yeah I never understood that rumoured Kassian for Bartowski swap. The team has a plethora of middle of their career, no offence defencemen. We're in desperate need of a puck mover or three and if at all possible someone who can hit the drat net from the blueline on a semi-regular basis. A defenceman (not named Bieksa) unafraid to jump into the play once in a while would be great too. Bartowski is none of those things, and can't cut it on a fairly unimpressive Boston blueline.

JawKnee posted:

They better loving not trade Higgy or I will abandon this goddamn team for losing all my favorite players in like a 3 year stretch

I love him too, but he's been awful this year and if the right trade came along I'd dump that contract. Still, everyone was clamouring to move Hansen last year and he's rebounded nicely. Hopefully Chris "Crest Sniper" Higgins is a one season thing and he'll be back where he was from 2011-13.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Trevor Bird posted:

i'd much rather have winnik instead of stewart, but they're definitely in need of a "This Guy Isn't Matt Cullen" type player for the 3rd line.

Yeah my hope is that they either get a 2C like Kadri or Vermette for a not-insane haul and can bump Fisher down to be a(n awesome) 3C or pick up Winnik. The first option is probably unrealistic though. I think they also need another D for the 6-7-8 spot because Bitetto isn't going to cut it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Poonerman posted:

alright lou, dump off jagr and zidlicky and it's a successful year

You're kidding right?

You want to KEEP Salvador and get rid of Zidlicky and Jagr? Don't listen to this man Lou.

Jagr is definitely a possibility, but I don't see Lou offloading Zidlicky unless we get some amazeballs D-man in return.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I guess I'll re-post it in this thread:

I would love to see the Capitals go after Sean Bergenheim. He's a really great player and easily fits the team's top need (top 6 forward, winger specifically).

He's only making $2.75M against the cap so his pro-rated cap hit at the deadline is close to nothing. And for some reason he's been healthy-scratched a few times. Seems like a perfect rental.

I feel like Jagr would also be a good fit roster-wise as a 1RW, but I think there are three things that make it unlikely:

1. There will likely be a bidding war for him
2. NJ might not want to trade him in division (even though he is still just a rental)
3. Leonsis might still be butt-hurt that Jagr gave a lovely effort while he played for Washington. Fans certainly don't like him.

Of course in a vacuum I would prefer Jagr because he's more of a playmaker than Bergenheim and would fit in perfectly as the 1RW, but I think Bergenheim can be had cheaply when Florida finally decides they are out of the playoff race and he would be a great second line LW. He would instantly make the second line better and would allow Johansson/Burakovsky to play as the 1RW.

Also I really hope they don't trade Mike Green unless it's for a king's ransom.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tyler Myers may be just a visitor in Winnipeg:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/report-the-jets-have-received-calls-on-myers/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Cole and Horcoff are the most likely to be dealt, Horcoff more than Cole. Probably neither if Dallas manages a run before the deadline.

Edit: Cole's G/60 is even better than I thought it was. Horcoff's value is just about 100% based on being gritty and last year's playoff run.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 13, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Koopa Kid posted:

Turnovers don't work that way, need to contextualize the number vs. how often the player has the puck. Diaz is slightly positive in possession in soft starts, that he has a small amount of counted turnovers vs. (I'm assuming) takeaways should be viewed as perfectly acceptable.

That said its not like he's anything special, he just plays the style of game that people tend to underrate against other (often worse) players.

In my limited viewing the problem Diaz has is mainly that he gets destroyed by aggressive forecheckers because he struggles to win battles against them, but generally does Ok if he has a bit of time and space to move things along.

I think being able to win board battles against forecheckers as a defenseman is probably a skill that's becoming a little underrated now to some extent but the flipside to that is you have to be able to move the puck well once you've won that battle which is what some of the "more physical" defensemen struggle with.

Zodijackylite posted:

This reputation sort of follows him, but he basically had one good year of possession stats and has been a bad replacement defensemen the other years. He put up one good year of possession numbers by playing a high-risk style, and both giveaway/takeaway counts and "the eye test" basically make him out to be a Mike Kostka-type who has moderately favorable possession numbers but also blows a lot of plays while not really producing the more significant offensive stats.

As far as I can tell, he's basically a lame duck who looks good in shot differential stats at times but doesn't actually translate that into reliable full-time play, rather it is an anomaly from an irresponsible style which requires sheltering.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/diazra01-additional-5on5.html
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1512&withagainst=true&season=2011-12&sit=5v5

This all seems about right to me just going off my general impression of him. He does some good things but I always felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop

Aphrodite posted:

It would have to be because I'm pretty sure the Rangers would have pulled the trigger if it was real.

That's rough on the Rangers though because it kind of destroys their prospect depth and they cough up yet another first round pick. They're 4th in the league in goals scored per game, I'm not sure they need to blow things up that much to acquire another pure scorer. I know everyone here loves Kessel and poo poo but it doesn't ALWAYS make sense to trade for a player no matter what.

e: plus Kreider is one of the few forwards they have with size and a bit of snarl. Straight up I'd take Kessel no questions asked, obviously, but in the context of team needs and available resources I feel like it starts tipping into the risky move for the overall team category

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I would like the Flames to sell one Curtis Glencross but I'm not sure the optics of being a "seller" with a tenuous grasp on a wildcard spot would look all that great. Burke obviously doesn't care about that, but Treliving may, I don't know... Glencross would also have to waive his NTC.

Otherwise the organization is saying all the right things and realizes at heart this is still a team in a rebuild... and they really looked that part last night against LA.

Also I like Diaz more than Deryk loving Engelland.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whether or not the Flyers become sellers will pretty much depend entirely on the next 4 games. For the optimist, they're all against Buffalo and Columbus, while Boston and Florida have some tougher road games ahead. For the pessimist, Stebe Mason is dead and there's no way in hell Ray Emery can be expected to play as well as he did against Montreal the other night.

Realistically, they'll likely wind up just outside the wild card, and sell off Brayden Schenn and maybe MDZ. I could see teams taking a look at Matt Read as well. Hextall said he doesn't envision blowing up the team, and he's still got a pretty tough hand that Homer dealt him.

E: Boston's next 5 are all on the road against Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, St. Louis and Chicago. Yeesh.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 13, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I really can't imagine that the Flyers will sneak in, they still have way too much ground to make up. They should sell and look to revamp their defense with the results and I could see them being a wildcard contender next season

e: Boston is doing worse than I thought but still...not sure their stumble and Philly's streak will result in Philly getting into the playoffs

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 13, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

I really can't imagine that the Flyers will sneak in, they still have way too much ground to make up. They should sell and look to revamp their defense with the results and I could see them being a wildcard contender next season

Yeah, it's kind of weird. Hexy has basically identified himself as the anti-Homer and is pretty committed to building up through the draft and minors instead of trading. I'm really not sure what'll come of guys like MDZ. He'd be nice to have for next year, but I could see some teams in better situations than ours wanting him for a playoff push. Everyone else is pretty much a mess. Coburn can't stay healthy, Grossmann is Grossmann, nobody wants Macdonald's contract, Streit is old.

I guess someone could take a look at Schultz, who hasn't been completely awful.

E: this also really depends on where guys like Ghost Bear and others are at in their development as well. Hextall has stressed patience with them and doesn't want to rush anyone.

E2: all of this is incredibly refreshing after the years of Homer, to be sure.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 13, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

e: Boston is doing worse than I thought but still...not sure their stumble and Philly's streak will result in Philly getting into the playoffs

Revamp the... defense? You can do that?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah the Flyers have to jump over Boston (who are 8 points ahead of them) or a team that is 13+ points ahead of them, AND hope Florida doesn't get hot either. Flyers are done and should be sellers at the deadline. It's pretty much down to Boston and Florida for the final playoff spot, I don't really think any of TBL, MON, DET, NYI, PIT, NYR, or WSH are going to miss the playoffs at this point.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
On a side note it is insanely fuckin' weird to me that the current wild card race has come down to Boston and Florida in the year of our lord 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins would have to really gently caress up to miss the playoffs. They play a lot of bad teams down the stretch.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Bruins would have to really gently caress up to miss the playoffs. They play a lot of bad teams down the stretch.

They actually have the 4th most difficult SOS remaining in the East, according to this shady site:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/easternsosrg.html

Of course Florida has the hardest SOS. I could see Florida leapfrogging Boston, only 4 points out with a game in hand. Still think Boston is the favorite though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wtf happened to Boston. Still the lack of speed thing? I know they had a lot of injuries early in the year but then seemed like they were getting it together after getting healthy and went on a big run...and now they're back on the verge of falling out of the playoffs again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

They actually have the 4th most difficult SOS remaining in the East, according to this shady site:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/easternsosrg.html

Of course Florida has the hardest SOS. I could see Florida leapfrogging Boston, only 4 points out with a game in hand. Still think Boston is the favorite though.

9 of their remaining games are against: Edmonton, Philly, Carolina, New Jersey, Buffalo, and Ottawa,. The more important games will be the three games against Florida.

Levitate posted:

wtf happened to Boston. Still the lack of speed thing? I know they had a lot of injuries early in the year but then seemed like they were getting it together after getting healthy and went on a big run...and now they're back on the verge of falling out of the playoffs again.

Nothing? They had a bad start because of injuries and had a great January. I've noticed a lot of people seem to think they're going into a tailspin but a lot of that is because they've only played 4 games this month and they happen to have gone 1-3 in those. Three of those games were in a four day span. Basically, a lot of teams have played some more games and the gaps have widened/shortened accordingly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Nothing? They had a bad start because of injuries and had a great January. I've noticed a lot of people seem to think they're going into a tailspin but a lot of that is because they've only played 4 games this month and they happen to have gone 1-3 in those. Three of those games were in a four day span. Basically, a lot of teams have played some more games and the gaps have widened/shortened accordingly.

Basically that tells me they were further behind than I thought. They've played 54 games which is about on par with everyone else except for some reason Tampa has played 57.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ya. I still think the Bruins are pretty much set though.Philly is most likely too far back and Florida isn't very good. Florida has a chance but they really need to sweep Boston, in regulation, in the three games they play each other down the stretch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Columbus may also trade Matt Calvert (please, don't) and Winnipeg is said to be interested (please, don't be), but Jarmo says the rest of the core is staying.

Basically, if they have a deal beyond this season, they're sticking around. And probably rightly so seeing as we still haven't seen the entire team on ice at once this season.

I don't want anyone to leave :(

I really like Calvert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would Kessel to Florida work? It feels like they need a goal scorer. I don't know much about their tradeable assets though, or their cap situation.

• Locked thread