Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I guess I'll re-post it in this thread:

I would love to see the Capitals go after Sean Bergenheim. He's a really great player and easily fits the team's top need (top 6 forward, winger specifically).

He's only making $2.75M against the cap so his pro-rated cap hit at the deadline is close to nothing. And for some reason he's been healthy-scratched a few times. Seems like a perfect rental.

I feel like Jagr would also be a good fit roster-wise as a 1RW, but I think there are three things that make it unlikely:

1. There will likely be a bidding war for him
2. NJ might not want to trade him in division (even though he is still just a rental)
3. Leonsis might still be butt-hurt that Jagr gave a lovely effort while he played for Washington. Fans certainly don't like him.

Of course in a vacuum I would prefer Jagr because he's more of a playmaker than Bergenheim and would fit in perfectly as the 1RW, but I think Bergenheim can be had cheaply when Florida finally decides they are out of the playoff race and he would be a great second line LW. He would instantly make the second line better and would allow Johansson/Burakovsky to play as the 1RW.

Also I really hope they don't trade Mike Green unless it's for a king's ransom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah the Flyers have to jump over Boston (who are 8 points ahead of them) or a team that is 13+ points ahead of them, AND hope Florida doesn't get hot either. Flyers are done and should be sellers at the deadline. It's pretty much down to Boston and Florida for the final playoff spot, I don't really think any of TBL, MON, DET, NYI, PIT, NYR, or WSH are going to miss the playoffs at this point.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Bruins would have to really gently caress up to miss the playoffs. They play a lot of bad teams down the stretch.

They actually have the 4th most difficult SOS remaining in the East, according to this shady site:

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/easternsosrg.html

Of course Florida has the hardest SOS. I could see Florida leapfrogging Boston, only 4 points out with a game in hand. Still think Boston is the favorite though.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Capitals should be all over Bergenheim, he's a perfect fit. The Caps don't need finishers they need a top 6 winger who can drive possession and win board battles. I don't know what Florida will be looking for in return but it will be a lot less than what Jagr will command.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I would trade Huberdeau+ or Barkov+ for Kessel I think. Seems to me Florida needs players who can score and uh Kessel is pretty good at it. He's going to be 28 next year, but he's on a reasonable contract. Maybe Huberdeau becomes a 60 point player and maybe Kessel will regress hard as he gets older, but Kessel is a 30+ goal and 60-80 point player now, and has been for the past 6 years so I would make that trade.

Barkov is good for a 19 year old but he's no Kessel and honestly isn't likely to be.

Ekblad seems like the only real untouchable for Florida.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Huberdeau has quietly been having a comeback season, in terms of points, since mid-November. He hasn't been spectacular, but at least he's showing the promise he showed in his rookie season, rather than whatever the hell it was he showed last season.

Florida is in a pretty good position right now. They have 3 top-3 picks (well, 4 top-3 picks, but I don't think anyone is trumpeting Gudbranson), and should be able to build their team around that young core. Bjustad should also be on that list. They are at the point in their team's construction where they need to start thinking about contending, and what players they can add to compliment this core. However, they are also going to be running into some issues. Brian Campbell is great, but he's signed for one more season, and he's currently 35. They are currently plugging their roster with older veteran journeyman who can't be counted on being good as soon as next year -- Boyes, Jokinen, Bergenheim, Fleischmann, Upshall, and Mitchell -- so they need to start looking at their prospects or trade/free agency. I think a guy like Kessel could help Florida out immensely. However, I think it may be too early to trade one of their young core pieces, for fear of trading the wrong one, and outside of that, they don't really have the assets to trade for Kessel. There are some decent pieces on the free agent market, but no one I'd say would lift this team to the place they want to be.

Plus, they aren't making the playoffs this year without some sort of bizarre collapse from another team or win streak from them, so it may be better to wait until the offseason.

I don't know why I wrote all of these words. Blame it on my cold.

e: I looked it up. Until November 16th, Huberdeau had 1 goal and 2 points in 11 games. Since, he has 8 goals and 29 points in 41 games (0.71 PPG compared to 0.60 PPG if you include those first 11 games).

You can't just discount those first 11 games for Huberdeau though. Every player goes on cold streaks and you have to factor that into their overall production. Unless you have reason to believe there was something wrong with him those first 11 games (injury, playing on the 4th line for some reason, etc). Huberdeau is entering his prime now (21-25 years old) and I just don't see him becoming good enough to declare him as a franchise cornerstone.

I guess I just think Kessel is a really impressive goal-scorer and something that Florida really lacks. Their top 3 goal scorers have 20, 16, and 10 goals. Kessel may be on the downswing of his career but it should be a gentle downswing not a steep crater. He should still be good for 20+ goals and probably 50+ points for 4 more years (the duration of his contract). I'd trade Huberdeau+ for that since Kessel is a known quantity (a great player) and Huberdeau's ceiling is probably not as good as Kessel's reality.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 17, 2015

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think he'd be a good second liner on Washington because they already have decently skilled guys on the second line but no one who can possess the puck. And again if he's really only going to go for a third round pick then he's certainly worth it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So I know a few Sens fans here have been praising Patrick Wiercioch despite him likely being on his way out, so I took a look at his advanced stat bar chart and :stare:. What does Ottawa want in return for him?

I feel like Washington could get Wiercioch and Bergenheim for peanuts and vastly improve their team for a playoff push. Orlov may be ready by then and Schmidt certainly will be ready to return in the next week or so, but Wiercioch if nothing else will add defensive depth for the playoffs which is never a bad thing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Apparently the Capitals and Flames are negotiating about Curtis Glencross. I don't know what the asking price is for him but all indications are that he's not really an upgrade over any of the current top 6 Washington has.

Also Elliotte Friedman thinks the Caps are "all-in", and are going to hang onto Green (which is a good thing) and that they are also looking to acquire a forward and a depth defenseman. Once Schmidt comes back the defense is fine (minus Orpik of course...) so I'd actually rather they go after a top 6 forward like Jagr than a depth forward and a depth defenseman.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

gently caress adam oates + get jagr on a real team + don't bring back oates

Welcome to hell.

Also Tlusty to da Jets per LeBrun.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Seems like it's a buyers market this year, prices have been low.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

It's also rumored that when Oates was coaching the Caps, he made his players only use sticks he approved...so like he was telling everyone how long their stick should be and what kind of curve, etc. As soon as he was fired players immediately ordered brand new sticks.

He is an insane person

This is why I always said that Randy Carlyle was the second worst coach in the NHL. Trotz has basically said that Oates was a terrible coach and that he had to undo everything he taught them (except the power play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd be okay with Gleason if he was like a 7th defenseman or whatever. But Nate Schmidt is a pretty great 3rd pairing dude and I will hate it if Gleason supplants Schmidt in the lineup. It just makes no sense to me, I would have rather kept Hillen because I think he is slightly better than Gleason as a 7th dude but what do I know! Gleason costs more than Hillen, has to get used to a new system, and it cost a 4th round pick. Seems like making a move for the sake of making a move, not to actually improve the team. Gleason isn't going to protect Green because he is big, a good puck-retrieving and puck-moving D like Schmidt protects Green better because Green doesn't always have to be the one with the puck. I would have much rather they go after like Wiercioch if they insisted on getting another D.

Also it will never happen because it's a division rival and he might not even be on the trading block, but Zuccarello would own as a 2W on the Caps. Also I guess I'd be okay with getting Sharp if the price isn't too steep. I'm sure the Caps are gonna overpay for like Glencross or some poo poo though instead.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread