Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dear Mr. Benning,

Please don't buy this year. Actually, go ahead and sell high on players like Richardson and Matthias. The Ducks have been sellers at the deadline in the past when they were in a playoff spot but knew they weren't contenders, and it worked wonders for their prospect pool.

For the love of God at least don't throw away our actually worthwhile young players for terrible reclamation projects. I would actually like to see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver before I die.

Best regards,
ThinkTank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bartkowski is their 7th D. He doesn't get in unless someone else is hurt or scratched.

He's only played 20 this year too so the chart's probably skewed by that.

Yeah I never understood that rumoured Kassian for Bartowski swap. The team has a plethora of middle of their career, no offence defencemen. We're in desperate need of a puck mover or three and if at all possible someone who can hit the drat net from the blueline on a semi-regular basis. A defenceman (not named Bieksa) unafraid to jump into the play once in a while would be great too. Bartowski is none of those things, and can't cut it on a fairly unimpressive Boston blueline.

JawKnee posted:

They better loving not trade Higgy or I will abandon this goddamn team for losing all my favorite players in like a 3 year stretch

I love him too, but he's been awful this year and if the right trade came along I'd dump that contract. Still, everyone was clamouring to move Hansen last year and he's rebounded nicely. Hopefully Chris "Crest Sniper" Higgins is a one season thing and he'll be back where he was from 2011-13.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Stars should trade for Kessel.

If only for the awkward shots of Kessel in the background of photos of Seguin and Benn surrounded by women.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good value for the Leafs on two upcoming UFAs. Leipsic looked like another good piece on a stacked Winterhawks team a couple years ago and sorta regressed when players like Jones left. Still, he's had a good first pro season. I can see him being a decent if unspectacular top six replacement guy. Not likely to be a star, but certainly a serviceable player.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eberle is currently playing in the Oilers game so you can comfortably say that's bullshit, at least at the moment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

the leafs are asking for a 2nd+3rd or a 2nd+prospect for daniel winnik

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/report-leafs-looking-for-two-picks-for-winnik/

to this i say, good fuckin luck.

Eh, that's just the fluff piece article that comes out at this time of year. Of course the asking price is going to be sky high, doesn't mean they'll get it. Nonis has no reason to lower it until practically the deadline anyways. Some team will get desperate and offer two picks for Winnik at some point. Probably a 3rd and a 5th kinda thing, but a 2nd and a 3rd isn't outrageous as a starting place for a team in a position to sell.

If you're selling a 2005 Honda Accord you don't list it as costing $1,000,000 because no one will bother, but then again you're probably going to initially ask for more than you think it's worth on the off chance someone will give you that, but knowing full well you'll get less for it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I'd love Huberdeau+ for Kessel, but from Florida's perspective, I think they'd be dealing a somewhat unknown quantity. And, I think this is a deal they could make in the offseason, because I really don't think they have the talent to make the playoffs, even if Boston is not doing well. May as well see what you have with your young guys, and make a decision in July.

Huberdeau is about right as a starting piece for Florida IMO. Players like Kessel are hardly dime a dozen.

Still, there's essentially no way that Kessel is traded before the deadline unless some team comes along and knocks Nonis' socks off. There will be far more suitors for him in the summer when the cap is set. I imagine the best time for trading him would be after the initial free agent buzz has died down and teams are looking for plan B for making a splash.

There's no incentive for the Leafs to rush into anything here. They're not trying to save the season, it's already over and management has admitted as much. This will be a long process in Toronto.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

According to Hope Smoke, Dreger was on the radio this morning saying that the Leafs are considering moving Winnik for Burmistrov. That would be a good deal for them if it went through.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Does Burmistrov even want to come back to the NHL?

Yes, as of last summer.

quote:

“I have one more year on my contract. And really I would be deciding next summer,” said Burmistrov, according to Google translate. “In any case, I do not believe that my story in the NHL is over. I will almost certainly return there.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/08/15/burmistrov-getting-closer-to-return-to-nhl-for-2015-16

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Also feels like Buffalo held on to Chris Stewart for too long and nobody really wants him anymore

I feel like there's a Chris Higgins-esque deadline deal for him in the making (3rd round pick and a low end prospect). He's low risk low reward, and as a less flashy player on the market he's probably a smart buy for a few teams. He won't cost much to acquire, and if he sucks you can sit him for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure he'll get moved unless Buffalo wants him to be part of the rebuild.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Looking forwards to the HAS reactions on this one.

I imagine it will just be the word THERRIEN scraped into a cement wall by Pancakes by Mail's ragged, bloody fingernails.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

:stare: what the poo poo

DSP is really bad

Sekac's posession stats are pretty miserable too. 42.3% corsi% and 46.6% Fenwick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^^^^^

I drew them from the NHL's enhanced stat page.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedst...aterPercentages

stab posted:

Therrien is an idiot, we know, but removing the rose tinted glasses on Sekac, apart from his hot start, he's been AWFUL the last two months. Somebody fancy stat him in splits if possible, I'm not crazy. He's been Eller level bad :(

A supposed scorer with bad possession stats and limited offence (on pace for 26 points in his 22 year old rookie year) suggest that Sekac is little more than a replacement level NHLer. I've never been sure why Habs fans have been so attached to him, then again I don't think I understand Habs fans at all.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

nothing is ever easy with ohio teams

Wiz is my hero, that's how you structure an NTC.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

https://vine.co/v/O2Z70UT9HEt

jack eichel is pretty cool -or- jack eichel's obvious character issues

Jack Eichel is the first 18 year old to have drunk alcohol in college. This is an alarming trend, and one that cannot be allowed to continue.

Do people actually care about this?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

2016 3rd and a conditional 6th for Tlusty. That seems like not a lot at all.

Leafs got Zach Sill, 2016 2nd round pick and 2015 4th round pick

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A player born in 1988 is more likely than not past his statistical peak. Sill is a replacement level forward, nothing close to a prospect.

Retaining salary on Winnik is a good move and I don't see how anyone could think it bad business? He's a UFA in the summer. What are the Leafs going to do? Use that extra $700k to load up for a playoff run? Doing so probably allowed them to get another pick out of Pittsburgh.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How in hell did the Leafs move Clarkson?

Like actually how?

I'm lost.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I guess this means Horton doesn't plan to retire and the Leafs will pay him to sit on LTIR for the next six years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, what the gently caress? Any salary retained, at least?

Their cap hits are nearly identical. Horton $5.3 until 2020, Clarkson $5.25 until 2020.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Is this the smartest thing Nonis has done since taking over?

It's more of a break even thing I guess. Sorta break even. If you tie an anchor around your neck and leap into the ocean, it's not really considered redeeming yourself when you untie the anchor 100 metres down.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

thehustler posted:

as that been the case for the last few years? What was the last trade on deadline day that was actually newsworthy?

As usual trust wikipedia to have a pretty comprehensive list of trade deadline deals (up to 2012/13). There's usually a noteworthy deal or two on the last or second to last day before the deadline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_trade_deadline

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

There are still a decent number of players still available so we should see some fun stuff, just depends on when it actually happens

It's more the trades that no one expects that are the most interesting. Kassian for Hodgson, Forsberg for Erat (haha), that time the Leafs traded for Kolzig and a bunch of other expensive players to try and buy a draft pick but then had to forfeit that pick because they screwed up Jonas Frogren's contract, etc.

The fact that the Leafs are players this year means that it should continue to be interesting.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

i guess part of that is veiled anger about someone helping out the leafs because no one wants the leafs to be helped out of a bad situation but this deal was mutually beneficial and that is extremely obvious

I think everyone realizes that this is mutually beneficial, but it's hard to argue that the Blue Jackets won this trade or anything. They downgraded in talent because they can't afford to spend the real dollars on a player to sit on the IR. Clarkson isn't a horrible player and will do better outside of Toronto, but he's remarkably overpaid for what he brings. Then again, that's better than the nothing that Horton did and the Jackets couldn't afford to use that cap space twice.

The Leafs got rid of a toxic contract, a media whipping boy and all around brick of a player for free. They get all the cap space they wasted on him back, and the only people who care are Rogers/Bell shareholders. It's a situation where a have team was able to buy a mulligan off a have-not team. The real question will be what Toronto does with the extra money they have, but they just gave themselves a big opportunity to make a hockey trade on a potential Kessel deal rather than dumping his contract for picks and prospects.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

is it really a downgrade in talent if the guy they had before can't play and the guy they're getting is an overpaid but still serviceable player?

Horton could potentially play again but even if he couldn't cap space is a commodity in and of itself. With Horton on the LTIR, that $5.3M was available to the Blue Jackets again and they could've spent it on a player with better bang for his buck than Clarkson. The problem was the Jackets couldn't afford to double dip. If they had the real dollars to do so, there's no way they'd make this deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Jarmo probably shouldn't be called out for working within the realities of the business.

I'm not criticizing him, it was a mutually beneficial trade for different reasons. The Leafs got a mulligan because they have a huge warchest and the Jackets get something out of the massive amount of money they invested in Horton. It's not a great return for Columbus, but from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

However, the fact that Columbus are poor and the Leafs are rich doesn't totally excuse the trade. If you buy a brand new Corvette Stingray and it breaks down a week later it's not a good deal to then swap that car to some millionaire for a 1999 Honda Accord because the rich guy can afford to take the hit if he can't get the corvette working again and you're broke but still have to drive to work every day. It might be necessary, but you're still the loser in the deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

Curtis Glencross was just pulled off the ice at Flames practice..

He has been traded, no word as to where yet. The Flames' players are literally asking the media watching practice if they know what happened. Surreal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Roger Millions is saying it sounds like Glencross is going to Washington, which has been rumoured for weeks so no surprise I guess.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rangers doing stuff wow. I guess Sather is committed to never picking in the first round again?

Why are the Rangers all in this year with Lundqvist on the shelf?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

It's pretty likely Lundqvist will be back before the playoffs start. He's doing on ice practicing on his own, in pads, etc. They just dont' want him facing pucks yet until they're sure he's healed

It's still a risk though. He's going to take time to get up to full form, and I don't think anyone can look at the Rangers today and say they're among the top 3 or 4 teams capable of winning the cup this year or next.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

who are the 3 or 4 teams above them?

I would say for sure Nashville, St. Louis, Montreal and Anaheim (in that order). Rangers are in the second tier with Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Chicago and NY Islanders. LA are coming on strong and Detroit can never be discounted. It's not a horrendous trade for New York as they got the best player in it, but they're mortgaging their future when they have a lot of question marks up front after their top couple forwards and Lundqvist coming off a serious injury right before the playoffs.

I mean I'm wrong about this stuff a lot, but New York scream "bounced in the second round" to me, and they're mortgaging their future without a great transition plan up front in place (or on the back end for that matter). Yandle is 29 this year so his prime is all but over. If the Rangers don't win a cup in the next two year they're facing a talent shortage and no first round picks or top prospects to make up for it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i'd put all the teams you listed in a big clump of who knows what they are going to do in the playoffs and it's probably going to be the kings turning it on in the playoffs again anyway. i don't really think this trade significantly impacts their future since the going for it in the next couple years and then facing a talent shortage is the situation whether they make this trade or not.

With this trade the Rangers will now go four straight years without a first round pick (and only 3 2nd round picks). Generally sacrificing assets like that will hurt you down the line, add to that the fact that they traded away their best forward prospect too and there's cause for concern. Again, this isn't a terrible trade but I'd be concerned if I was a fan. Sacrificing so much of your future is a big risk when you're not a clear cut cup contender. They probably owe it to Lundqvist to make moves like this, but I can't say I think it's the most prudent course of action. The most successful teams in recent years have been the ones that have managed to find the balance between making splashy moves and transitioning young players into prominent. The Rangers have been firmly in the former camp, eventually it will catch up to them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

I don't know how many times I have to say this but go back and look at the Rangers in the 1st round of the draft. 1st rounds really don't make a huge difference on this team. Even when they pick low enough to grab a possible impact player, they flub it (Jessiman, McIlrath most recently).

This is terrible thinking. Teams aren't trying to come up with first round flops every year. Given enough swings even the worst drafting team gets a hit or two. Young, team drafted players are cost controlled and easy to build around. I don't think it's any coincidence that all recent cup winners have been built primarily around a stable young core of loyal, home grown talent.

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't understand why you don't think they are a clear cup contender. They have no real weaknesses.

Their team possession stats are barely playoff caliber (18th in CF% and 19th in FF%). Their PDO is 3rd in the league as their shooting % is 2nd overall and their 5 on 5 SV% is 7th overall. They've been a lucky team all year, and their goaltending has carried them for the most part. If Lundqvist isn't in top form fairly quickly the Rangers are in trouble (I mean AV could go to Talbot in the playoffs if he wants, but that's just a nightmare situation for the team which will incite much melodrama ala Luongo/Schneider). This is hardly a slam dunk conference finalist here.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Okay wait, I thought we all knew the Rangers making the Finals last year was 9 kinds of dumb luck.

This was my thinking too. Not as lucky as New Jersey or Philly making it, but less deserved than Boston or Vancouver.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Wouldn't that make them middle of the pack in terms of luck for making the finals?

Going back to the cancelled season the only less deserving team was Edmonton in 06. 6th of 9 is not very good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Montreal would like to say hi.

Yes I didn't realize they were quite so terrible, and would like to remove them from my upper echelon spot and put the Islanders in their place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

evenworse username posted:

WHAT HAVE WE BEEN TELLING YOU

I never said they were amazing, I just thought it was weird that you guys were so down on an otherwise succesful team. The immediate reaction to a 5 game winning streak ending wasn't "oh well, back at it" it was "now we see how terrible this team TRULY is, fire Therrien."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

IIRC Edmonton's estimated corsi for that season was ~54%. They were a very good team all year that nearly got knee-capped by running a Conklin/Markkanen goalie tandem. Carolina, on the other hand, is probably one of two examples (along with Boston 2011) in the last however long of an inferior team riding luck to a Cup win.

Fair enough, however considering the ultimate goal of every NHL season is to win the Stanley Cup I can forgive an undeserving winner (as much as it pains me to do with Boston). Short of it turning out that the winner actually cheated, it doesn't matter how the team won.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Anyway, like any other deadline trade, this makes the Rangers better now and probably a bit weaker in the long run depending on what Yandle does.

You're correct, but this is sports so we all need to get riled up and touchy about any opinion that disagrees with our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Didn't Domi and Duclair play together at WJC? I remember them having pretty good chemistry. I know it's a short tournament and what not but I like the move for Arizona.

Crosby and Bergeron had chemistry at the 2005 WJC and Bergeron made the 2010 Olympic team entirely because of that. Amazingly enough they did not have chemistry 5 years later at a far higher level of play.

Duke is a pretty good prospect, but if the Coyotes traded for him because he played well with Domi in an 8 game tournament they're making some very poor decisions.

• Locked thread