Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd like to see Calgary improve their defensive depth beyond the first line. Giordano and Brodie are fantastic, and Wideman's been fine but after that it's ugly. Raphael Diaz should not be getting ice time for a playoff team.

I'd also like to see them improve at RW but getting both of these things seems unlikely. I'd settle for defensive help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

raphael diaz is good though?

He's a physically soft defender who doesn't move the puck well from what I've seen. We play him because we have to. He's -3 in Turnover Plus-minus, and -4 in regular plus-minus. He has 3 points in 32 games. What part of his game is "good"?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I agree that hard hitting doesn't necessarily mean good, but if you can't move the puck all that well it can be the difference between being passable and not, depending on how you use it. And wasn't he run out of Montreal because of turnover issues?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

he was montreal's second best defenseman by possession when he was traded but he doesn't really score as much as people wanted him to and he doesn't hit people so he doesn't fit any of the normal boxes people want to check to describe defensemen.

he isn't a world-beater, but if you have diaz playing on your bottom pair, your defense is probably doing pretty well.

unless of course you have kris russell and dennis wideman on the second pair

Wideman's appeal is a bit more obvious though, in that he gets points. Defensively, he's not so great but I'd rather have him than Russell or Diaz.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would Kessel to Florida work? It feels like they need a goal scorer. I don't know much about their tradeable assets though, or their cap situation.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish somebody would make a trade machine for the NHL, like ESPN did for the NBA. Also, I'd imagine Toronto's big priority would be finding a taker for Phaneuf rather than Kessel anyways. Good fuckin' luck though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DOOMocrat posted:

Stars fans are so upset with the step backwards a lot are clamoring on Twitter for him. 7.5 in Benn's contract year for the 5th best defenseman on the Leafs. Insanity.

The Leafs would have to be crazy not to take that deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder how much authority Nonis even has at this point, the trade with Nashville was fairly sensible and possibly even a long-term win

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HELLO LADIES posted:

That's terrifying, but do they have the cap space? Lombardi's not that much of a wizard, right? :(

Would involving a 3rd team give them enough relief to take this deal on?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

he has a limited NTC, i believe he just has the standard 6 teams he can block a trade to

Bold guess: One of them is Toronto.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What would HAS make of Glencross to Montreal? It seems like they lack LW depth, and they're certainly a contender, so I can't see Glencross balking.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Chris Stewart would still tear it up on a run n gun team I am convinced.

I wouldn't mind Calgary making a play for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Giving this its own post so it doesn't get lost with the Wiz talk, but apparently some insider on HNIC last week said the Jackets are willing to listen to offers on any defenseman not named Murray or Savard.

There is absolutely no reason to move Kevin Connauton.

Hmm, maybe Calgary should give them a call..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Apparently the Capitals and Flames are negotiating about Curtis Glencross. I don't know what the asking price is for him but all indications are that he's not really an upgrade over any of the current top 6 Washington has.

Also Elliotte Friedman thinks the Caps are "all-in", and are going to hang onto Green (which is a good thing) and that they are also looking to acquire a forward and a depth defenseman. Once Schmidt comes back the defense is fine (minus Orpik of course...) so I'd actually rather they go after a top 6 forward like Jagr than a depth forward and a depth defenseman.

Do the Caps have much in terms of prospects or defensive depth?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The trade seems fine, as long as the assumption is made that Toronto will make a hire in the offseason that allows them to draft better. And if they DO draft better, show some goddamn patience with the young guys.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

TJ Brennan was a free agent signing by the Leafs two years ago, put up a PPG in the AHL, and left because they wouldn't call him up. I like to think of him as a future Mike Kostka.

They're now trading for him back because Dave Nonis has no idea what he's loving doing, and also both the Leafs and Marlies D is a goddamn trash fire because their director of pro scouting doesn't know how to quantify defensive contribution.

Spencer Abbott is a small playmaking centre the Leafs signed as a free agent out of college. He probably sucks too.

It sounds like they won, but in such a minimal way it doesn't matter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It basically sounds like they traded Clarkson for cash.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody earlier said something to the effect of "Clarkson's gonna turn into Wendel Clark now that he's off the Leafs" and Mike Commodore just said it on Twitter.

Someone explain that reference to me, because I wasn't a hockey fan when Clark was playing. Should I be happy or terrified?

Clark was a tough SOB with a killer wrist shot. Scored a fair amount of goals. But if he lives up to that whole thing, expect some dumbass penalties from time to time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

Hey the Habs fans covet French Canadians, right? We have this Vinny Lecavalier over here...

Given their struggles to find defensive pairings that make Therrien happy, this logic made me wonder if they'd pursue Phaneuf, but I'm sure Montreal's love of francophones only goes so far.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

People in Arizona are talking about Michalek being traded like it's a foregone conclusion. He's quietly been very good this year... despite 57% defensive zone starts, he has a 4.2% relative Corsi (and similar Fenwick) on a piece of dogshit team. He's 32 and slowing down and can't transition the puck up ice much anymore, but he'd be a good pickup for a team in the hunt to solidify the defense.

What's his cap hit? I'd like to see Calgary add somebody both to add depth for when Gio returns and to compensate for his absence.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

That's not bad at all for top 4 d-man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think Calgary should replace Glencross since they now have plenty of draft picks to offer up, but in general their mentality should be to stay the course, keep developing the youth, have another good draft this year, and if a guy like Zuccarello is available through free agency, give him some bones.

Calgary could definitely use some more offensive punch up front, I think the reason they fall behind and have to make as many comebacks as they do is they're too reliant on very talented offensive defencemen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

I don't understand why Girardi would wave his NMC to go to a rebuild in the middle of a cup run type season.

Maybe he dislikes living in NY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

Glencross is a decent depth-scoring pickup but Washington probably overpaid for him given his health issues.

Isn't he a UFA?

• Locked thread