Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Finally, someone took the reins and is delivering a PC D&D adventure WITH Dungeon Master capabilities! But be warned adventurers, this game is being developed by n-space (A Nintendo DS port team.) and Digital Extremes (Makers of Warframe) Expect a lot of new content to come out in the form of purchasable DLC, how does the dungeon master know this? Because you won’t be able to use the Beholder as a DM unless you buy the deluxe package.

“Set in the lush and vibrant world of the Forgotten Realms, Sword Coast Legends offers an all-new way to enjoy the time-tested magic of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a shared storytelling experience. With a deep narrative developed by a team of long-time industry veterans and a partnership with Wizards of the Coast, the single player campaign of Sword Coast Legends brings the world of Faerûn home like never before.
Sword Coast Legends also brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures. In DM Mode, the Dungeon Master engages players and empowers them to have fun in a way that suits the party best while creating a tailored, non-adversarial 4 with 1 experience that any RPG or pen-and-paper fan will enjoy. “\

Links:
Main Website
Preorder Page
Pre-release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no

This page will be updated as more news comes in.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Am I like, the only guy excited about this?

It looks ugly at the moment, but the idea of being able to run a short-form PW with 4 players and a DM sounds excellent. I just hope the DM tools are expansive enough to rival, say, a CEP-equipped NWN DM.

I've been hanging out for something to rival the golden days of NWN PWs and while this isn't it, it looks like the closest thing so far.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It has a lot to prove to me, but if it lives up to it, I will be very excited.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Here's the first look at what the campaign plays like. It looks like a cleaned up Baldur's Gate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pillars, Torment, Sword Coast. Tons of great CRPGs coming out, wooha.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The non-combat stuff looked better than I expected, but it remains to be seen if the dialogues are deeper than excuses to dungeon crawl. The combat was really, really fast. So fast that it was hard to tell if the dev in control was doing much or if it was mostly the party AI scripts. Still, I will watch next week's video to see the DM part in action, if I can tear myself away from Pillars of Eternity.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So is 'DM Mode' supposed to be Neverwinter Nights-style custom adventures or is it pre-built ones, only the DM gets to adjust things in real-time?

First I've heard of this, still wish games would move away from the real-time-with-pause combat that's everywhere nowadays, but it could turn out well I guess...

Eddain
May 6, 2007

WarLocke posted:

So is 'DM Mode' supposed to be Neverwinter Nights-style custom adventures or is it pre-built ones, only the DM gets to adjust things in real-time?

First I've heard of this, still wish games would move away from the real-time-with-pause combat that's everywhere nowadays, but it could turn out well I guess...

Here's your answer. DM can affect things in real-time to hinder the party's quest. It looks really fun if you enjoy being an rear end in a top hat to your friends.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Eddain posted:

Here's your answer. DM can affect things in real-time to hinder the party's quest. It looks really fun if you enjoy being an rear end in a top hat to your friends.
So it is real weird to me they gamify the DM thing but still have it so you have to hold back. The tools seem nice and you could use them to design neat dungeons/encounters at least.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to the end of the video there is a campaign creation mode.

Also for people worried about the Voice Acting. None of what has been shown is final and it was all recorded by the same guy.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

So it is real weird to me they gamify the DM thing but still have it so you have to hold back. The tools seem nice and you could use them to design neat dungeons/encounters at least.

It actually looks like a fairly neat mechanic. A way of giving a sense of being in control to the GM whilst making sure they dont gently caress up the games balance.

The more the non GMs succeed the more they demonstrate to the game their competence, so this means the game can go "Hey these guys are good. Heres 20 points of 'threat', go and make poo poo harder.". If the players struggle, then giving more "threat" makes little sense from the standpoint of game balance, so the game holds back on giving points to the GM.

It lets the game control the balance without handcuffing (at least in perception. From the GMs perspection, its the players fault, not the games) the GM.

• Locked thread