Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bunting is the most beautiful thing
True. To hell with your defensive setup!
False. My team somehow has power and will feast on your lovely pitching.
BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT
View Results

• Locked thread
SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
It's still snowing across most of the country, but in spite of this snowy bleakness, IT'S TIME FOR BASEBALL.

Not MLB, of course. No one gives a poo poo about pitchers and catchers reporting. I'm talking about college baseball, home of Billy Beane's first market inefficiency, bunts galore, unconventional pitching, and competent (yet hilarious) defense.

First things first, there's a new college baseball site in town: http://www.d1baseball.com/
Aaron Fitt & Co. broke off from Baseball America, and gathered some of the best college baseball writers out there to cover all of D1 Baseball, unconstrained by other duties for amateur scouting. The site is great, but we'll see how BA and Perfect Game recover from this loss.

I will have a better FAQ written later this week, but if someone wants to write cool things explaining how this game is different from the pros beyond pingbats and 3-pitcher rotations, I'll put it in the OP!

WHEN DOES THIS START? Opening day is tomorrow, Friday, February 13th, with most eastern teams out West or down South for tournaments, and most Western/Southern teams enjoying reasonable weather and laughing at the snowbirds.

[PLACEHOLDER FOR STREAMING INFO AND SUCH]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
if i pay attention to this thread does it mean ill get to watch sarah hudek own nerds

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The SDSU Aztecs will be retiring Tony Gywnn's #19 tomorrow before their first game

Gonna miss you, Tony

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monicro posted:

if i pay attention to this thread does it mean ill get to watch sarah hudek own nerds

These are exciting times, Luke.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Junior colleges have been playing two weeks now.

Junior colleges are fun because every team has a long-haired masher who hits .165 with 10 homers, lots and lots of wild pitches and no one has a closer. I can't remember the exact score, but a couple of years ago, I saw one game end something like 27-16.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M starts with Holy Cross this weekend. I haven't been able to follow them the last few years so this will be fun now that I have the time; I get the impression the SEC has not been super kind to us.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Every single preseason poll likes Vandy to repeat. The composite is below. Virginia will take a little while to get going since they've got lineup stuff to figure out and their best hitter will be out till the end of April after back surgery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Thanks for making the thread! I'm excited about this season, even though last year was one of the more disappointing ones we've experienced in a while.

Our opening series is against College of Charleston, which was a surprise team in the tournament last year and is decidedly not a cupcake anymore. I'm a little nervous that we're not blasting off against some poor Northeastern team like usual, but this will be a pretty good measuring stick right out the gate.

e: Well we're getting outhit 14-2 and gonna lose the opener so I'd like to humbly request not scheduling a team like CofC again until we've got a tune-up series or two under our belts. Yeesh.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 14, 2015

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I like going to Indiana baseball games to sit in the sun for a bit and yell at the opposing outfielders.

Plus, they're free.

Too bad it'll be twenty degrees in Bloomington for another month or so.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Went to the UC Riverside home opener, which they won 3-1 against Portland. Defensive errors and misplays abounded. Troy Percival is our head coach. I wore sandals because the weather was so nice.

Baseball's back!

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 14, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Lots of Sunday games getting preemptively cancelled or moved up to today.

Vandy dropped today's first to Santa Clara, rubber game still to come.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Go Huskies! Woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxxM40Qq88

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY JENKINS is looking pretty wild. Two wild pitches in this AB alone.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks bounced back from yesterday's opening loss to Charleston and swept the doubleheader today, 7-1 and 8-3 respectively. Wil Crowe was dominant with 10 strikeouts, and the usual contributors who were MIA on Friday showed up big at the plate today. We got a two-run homer from a freshman, Alex Destino, who looks like he might be The Next Big Thing and Taylor Widener was shutdown as usual out of the bullpen. All things you want to see at this time of year, especially against a quality opponent. This is a pretty dang solid series win; Charleston could be one of the best teams in the state again this year.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
would you say it is his...Destino....

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

New week, new poll. Vandy keeps top spot in most polls, as they should—it's overreacting to drop a team down for taking 2 of 3 on a given weekend, unless they drop a dumb midweek game as well.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

New week, new poll. Vandy keeps top spot in most polls, as they should—it's overreacting to drop a team down for taking 2 of 3 on a given weekend, unless they drop a dumb midweek game as well.

It's funny how, even in college baseball, losing one game isn't necessarily indicative of anything. Losing one game in any major college sport is like the most devastating thing in the world if you're a top 5 team. Maybe the college baseball voters are just smarter than in other sports. I dunno.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile noted powerhouse UCR went 4-0 against Portland and Joe Chavez (6 for 11 with a double and a triple) was named Big West player of the week, so, watch out everybody else

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Lots of games today got moved south to deal with weather. UVA's field is still iced over, with another coating expected tomorrow, so instead they're playing today at some random high school in Charleston SC. Many other teams making similar arrangements.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State is a modern university with many state-of-the-art programs, in no way deserving of nicknames such as Cow College or Moo U. Furthermore,

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 21, 2015

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Beavers need to find two more legitimate weekend guys to have a chance in the Pac12. Hopefully the frosh Rasmussen can be one of those guys. We scored a lot in the Surprise tourney last week, but the current lineup needs to improve, won’t last vs conference pitching.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
Tennessee's home opener against Lipscomb today has been cancelled due to snow. I'm stoked for the season to start. Shine bright like a diamond, Dave Serrano.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
UCI's bullpen is a dumpster fire and that's why we're 1-6. God drat it.

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Tennessee's home opener against Lipscomb today has been cancelled due to snow. I'm stoked for the season to start. Shine bright like a diamond, Dave Serrano.

Y'all are going to annhilate the Anteaters this weekend. It's going to be brutal.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Another week, another poll. Bit of chaos as UVA takes over the composite lead on the barest of margins. I find this stupid, as Vandy despite their struggles hasn't dropped a series yet. If anyone was to take over #1, it should be Florida, who took 2 of 3 from a good Miami team in a fantastic series, or UCLA, for taking 2 of 3 off UNC, or even TCU, for taking 2 of 3 at Arizona State; UVA needed 18 innings to finish off a sweep of Marist. Anyway, it'll all sort out before long.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M is 9-0 heading into a weekend series with Dartmouth, but we haven't really played anyone of note, so I have nothing really to add other than that the offense looks passable which is a big improvement over last year

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia isn't terrible so far!

(gently caress you David Perno wherever your lovely rear end is)

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Big drat series this weekend. Beat Clemson.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M hits two two-run homers in the 8th to beat Dartmouth 4-3. Olsen Magic y'all.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn took down #10 Okie Lite 9-2 today at home in a game hastily scheduled after weather scuttled the visitors' planned series for the weekend. Just one game in weird circumstances but easily the biggest victory since Golloway took over and burned a lot of goodwill in a disappointing, contentious first year.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.

SporkOfTruth posted:

Y'all are going to annhilate the Anteaters this weekend. It's going to be brutal.

Hahah, turns out I'm an idiot. So, this weekend has been kind of bizarre for UCI & UT. First, the rains out here preemptively forced the Friday-Saturday-Sunday series to turn into a Friday day/night DH-Saturday series. This actually worried me more, because I figured a tough doubleheader wouldn't sit well with a slumping UCI.

The Friday doubleheader: The real story in both of these games is Tennessee making terrible fielding mistakes at the worst time. Elliot Surrey "With The Fringey Stuff" started game 1 and pitched pretty drat well despite giving up 2 runs early, but the game was sealed by UT's centerfielder biffing a reasonably easy catch that cleared the bases for Irvine. G1: UCI 5-2. Former UT pitcher Matt Esparza started game 2 for the 'Eaters, gave up a solo dinger in the first, and then pitched 8 shutout innings. UT's fielding mistake here was their SS overthrowing 2B on a double play ball that loaded the bases; John Brontsema took advantage two batters later and walked it off with a liner up the middle. G2: UCI 2-1

So, not too much offense on Friday. Saturday, on the other hand, was a hot mess. 22 combined runs. 34 combined hits. 7 pitchers for UCI. 5 errors by Tennessee. Three of those on one play that allowed a run to score. Serrano and one of his assistants tossed for arguing a call from a previous inning while his team was up 2 in the 9th. Je-sus christ. G3: UT 12-10. Fun fact: this is only the second time ever that both teams have scored more than 10 runs at Anteater Ballpark.

The takeaways for me:
  • Surrey and Esparza are a fantastic 1-2 punch, but I have no idea who a reliable 3 is, nor do I have much confidence in the bullpen.
  • UCI is capable of scoring runs and coming back in games! Woo hoo! Maybe we're not sunk in league play.
  • Oh, wait, the bullpen. Right. Crap.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 1, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Vandy was down 10-0 today, came back to win 16-10.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Walk off today to take a chippy series with Crieghton 2-1. There was signal stealing, spiking, trash talking, and bench clearing. No hand shake afterwards.

Tulane is now 10-2 overall. Breaking into the top 25 in the polls tomorrow is a real possibility. Three weeks until what is shaping up to be an awesome LSU game.

EDIT
Tulane is #25 in D1Baseball, #30 in NCBWA and reciving votes in others. First time Tulane has been nationally ranked since 2011.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 3, 2015

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Awesome walk-off squeeze with a huge standing collision at the plate for USC over TCU.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M beats Nebraska, Houston and Baylor at Minute Maid Park to go to 16-0 on the year; conference play starts with Auburn in College Station this weekend

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Walk off today to take a chippy series with Crieghton 2-1. There was signal stealing, spiking, trash talking, and bench clearing. No hand shake afterwards.

Tulane is now 10-2 overall. Breaking into the top 25 in the polls tomorrow is a real possibility. Three weeks until what is shaping up to be an awesome LSU game.

EDIT
Tulane is #25 in D1Baseball, #30 in NCBWA and reciving votes in others. First time Tulane has been nationally ranked since 2011.

As mentioned before, I don't really follow college baseball closely. Is the "EAU" at the bottom of some of those polls Wisconson-Eau Claire?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

tadashi posted:

As mentioned before, I don't really follow college baseball closely. Is the "EAU" at the bottom of some of those polls Wisconson-Eau Claire?

Pretty sure that's Florida Atlantic

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Pretty sure that's Florida Atlantic

That makes a lot more sense.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Beavs are leading in HRs, #13 in batting average, #20 in OBP, #5 in runs scored, #1 in slugging pct. Nice to see the young offense doing some good things early on. Need to figure out the 3rd starter spot and bullpen to compete in the conference.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UVA's lack of offense burned them big time this week; they went 0-4 with a sweep to VT. Honestly it'll be an uphill battle from this point to get back into the hosting slots by the time Joe McCarthy comes back from injury.

Meanwhile, Texas A&M is 21-0, which is absurd.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

elentar posted:

UVA's lack of offense burned them big time this week; they went 0-4 with a sweep to VT. Honestly it'll be an uphill battle from this point to get back into the hosting slots by the time Joe McCarthy comes back from injury.

Meanwhile, Texas A&M is 21-0, which is absurd.

Yes, A&M just finished a sweep of Auburn to open conference play. Saturday's win was the 1,000th at Olsen Field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina has bounced back quite well after losing its first series to Clemson in five years -- we've won 10 straight, including a sweep of Kentucky to open SEC play, and it looks like we've finally found our Sunday starter in Clarke Schmidt. The bats still need to come around for me to feel more comfortable, but we've at least started to get some timely hits.

Also:

• Locked thread