Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crigit posted:

This is really interesting, because it shows that what a thing sounds like is going to be heavily dependent on your recording hardware and positioning. Which one of those sounds was what the gun 'really' sounds like? Do any of them correspond to what you would hear with your ears if you were standing next to the microphone?
On this topic, a while back Simon Viklund, the sound guy on Payday 2, posted some stuff about the gun recording process for that game on Instagram.

quote:

A few of the many mic positions used during the gunfire reflection recording. We had portable recording devices (Zooms) hidden far off in the woods too, just to cover all the bases. What's near the camera here is a shotgun mic (it means it's highly directional, not that it's used to record shotguns - although on this occasion, both were true).

We were in the forest so there was no traffic noise or other sounds from the civilization. However, there were birds. We just made sure to record many shots of the same caliber/weapon, to make sure we had a few that were clean. In the worst case, you can edit pieces of several recordings together to form a final audio clip that you're happy with. There's always a lot of clean-up to do from field recordings. Unless you want to record noise... ;) Wind is never a problem if you just have the right kind of blimp/cover.

mote posted:

It always blows my mind thinking about how they programmed music for all those NES and C64 games in the 80s. Creating all your patches/notes by manually setting the registry bits in assembly or whatever. loving crazy considering the results they got out of it.
The programming element of sound development continued well into the 90s on the 16-bit platforms. There were standard-issue drivers, like Technopop's GEMS driver for the Genesis, but they typically produced sub-standard results unless you did a lot of research. Which a lot of people didn't. Yuzo Koshiro is probably the most famous example of 16-bit composer/programmers - He developed a sample-loading system to get more out of the SNES's 64kb of sound memory for Actraiser, and developed his own assembly-like music format for Streets of Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Sims 4 has a dynamic soundtrack in Create-a-Sim mode and Build mode, which changes depending on what you're doing. If you're changing what your Sim wears or are picking out, say, furniture or appliances, you get a full orchestra version of the song. If you go in to do some more detailed work, like changing a Sim's hairdo or head jewelry, or you're picking out floor tiles and wallpaper, you get a slimmed down version of the song, with some strings, piano, and some light percussion. Going in to do the most detail, like editing the Sim's facial details gives you a simple piano version of the song. It's all seamless and fades in and out when you switch what you're doing, and it's a great callback to The Sims' original build mode soundtrack.

Speaking of, The Sims 1 had some wonderful songs, especially in piano mode. When I was a kid I was always scared of the piano music though, it felt depressing and sad so I ended up abusing a glitch where if you switched Build and Buy mode quick enough you'd get Buy mode music during Build mode. Nowadays I really appreciate the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mke9z4qfTFU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

3D Budgie posted:

Deadly Premonition was a sound experience alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa19-c1R_Qg
I genuinely think Deadly Premonition has excellent sound design, it did A LOT of the gruntwork for the game's quirky mood.

People like to rag on the Gran Turismo series for its car noises, some of which are holdovers from entries on the original Playstation, but I think it's interesting that even back then, the soundtrack to the game was slightly different for each territory. For Gran Turismo 2, the American release had among others, a remix of Dragula by Rob Zombie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9YYp_R5b2E

Meanwhile the European release got a heavily remixed version of loving In Heaven by Fatboy Slim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ehtTdzOT8g

There's a few other tracks that are region-exclusive, but going as far as to make remixes just to fit make them fit in is quite a bit of effort just for region-exclusive soundtracks.

• Locked thread