Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

So you're browsing the morning newspaper looking through the funnies. Looks like Beetle Baily and Sarge are at it again. Oh man look at this, Hagar the Horrible is in trouble with his wife again. When is he going to learn? Wait, what's this next strip:

:stonk: .....What the gently caress is this poo poo and what is it doing between Hagar the Horrible and Mary Worth?

It's Mallard Fillmore! America's favorite conservative talking anthropomorphic duck and somehow still syndicated in almost every major paper. Started in 1992 by Bruce Tinsley, Mallard has been on the right side of the funnies for over twenty years. Who could forget all of Mallard's wacky adventures like that one time when Mallard called Jon Stewart a pedophile because he made fun of him in America: The Book:

And then there was that one time when Mallard delivered a lukewarm burn to Judge Roderick McGillivray because he convicted Bruce Tinsley of a DUI:

The Contest:
Your mission should you choose to accept it is to make Mallard Fillmore funny through any means necessary. You could edit an existing strip, or draw something from scratch if that's more your style. The best place to find Mallard Fillmore strips is https://www.mallardfillmore.com which keeps an archive that goes all the way back to Dec 29,2003. Don't feel like trudging through all that hate? Rubbercat has a Mallard Fillmore Watch that showcases some of the duck's worst moments here: http://rubbercat.net/mt/mallard/

Edit: Also, your entry has to be something you made since the contest started. If you have an older edit/drawing you can still post it to inspire others but it won't count as a contest entry.

If you do an edit it's a good idea to show the original for context. Here's a few examples to give you an idea of what we're looking for:

Original:

Edit:

Original:

Edit:

Original:

Edit:

By Faithmouse:

By Rubbercat:

By Deep Hurting:

The prizes:
1st prize: A custom smilie, a forums upgrade of your choice, and an avatar cert

2nd prize: A forums upgrade of your choice and an avatar cert

3rd prize: An avatar cert

Winners will be chosen by a secret cabal of your superiors and the contest deadline is February 22, good luck!

Koishi Komeiji fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Orig:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
McCain/Palin was the most moderate ticket the GOP could run in 2008 that is actually pretty shocking.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks Koishi!
Could you please tell me what font you two used, or is it hand-written?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

alnilam posted:

Thanks Koishi!

I used two fonts- Carl Barks Script and BlamBlam, both of which are available from ufonts.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

:eyepop: One hour in and already we got a contender!

alnilam posted:

Thanks Koishi!

The way I do it is I painstakingly paste words and letters from a real strip. It's very labor intensive and I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of free time.I just do it that way because I got my start in doing edits by making fake strips and trying to trick goons into thinking they were real. But you bring up a good point: Your entry doesn't have to look like a real strip, the judges will only be considering how funny your entry is.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Pretty sure I already posted this...

I'll come up with an original entry this weekend.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Original:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Original

BORING AS poo poo. How about a little experience I call...50 Shots of Grey (Goose).

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Original:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I will also be doing edits, but mine are just for fun and won't be considered for prizes.

Original:

Edit:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this thread would probably be much better off in gbs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This took longer than I anticipated.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I made this for last years politoon thread but never posted it so free entry I guess.

Original:

Edit:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
pkfan2004 did an edit of this already, but, I just couldn't resist making my own:

Original:

Edit:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That ending, lmao

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

site posted:

this thread would probably be much better off in gbs

People will crawl out of the soul sucking hole that is the Politoon thread.

Give them time to get over the previous days booze chat.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

I can't wait for the "ye fowl herald" of this one Sputnik

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
There were a few weeks in 2013 where Tinsley would not shut up about how the media would not shut up about Michelle Obama's bangs. :ironicat: I lost the original I used for the edit and decided I could do a better job anyway, so I redid it.

Original

Edit

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm not good with image editing, so I decided to take inspiration from another series instead. May I present, Fillmore Minus Fillmore.

I think its an improvement.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Anthropomorphic Republican Talking Duck and Mallard Swillmore should be brought in for inspiration (when I try to find them I only get dead images :().

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

You guys are doing really good! I didn't think we'd be getting so many entries by now and it's only day 2! I found a site that should help you all get through that first grueling step of sifting through a huge archive looking for that one cartoon that's just begging to be edited: http://rubbercat.net/mt/mallard/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

ARTD is still up at Rubbercat's site
http://rubbercat.net/artduck/

e: I love ARTD so much

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 15, 2015

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

I'm not good with image editing, so I decided to take inspiration from another series instead. May I present, Fillmore Minus Fillmore.

You should at least include a "with apologies to Gorrell" if you're just going to put Tinsley's signature on one of his cartoons.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

I think you're on to something here! Minus Mallards are surprisingly surreal and uplifting:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hey Bruce, Schedule C income is more prone to audit due to the relative ease of bullshitting expenses and/or understating income - I won't even charge you for that information! :v:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
what if you find one that doesn't need to be edited

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Aww, Tinsley's finger-vulva is crowning!

(That or "making GBS threads them out" was more literal than we ever realized)

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

dogcrash truther posted:

what if you find one that doesn't need to be edited

I guess that would be funny, if it weren't for the fact that Bruce uses the "New Yorker cartoon thing" as his get out of making a cartoon free card.

April 19 2007:

There's other examples of this but I can't be arsed to look them up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Koishi Komeiji posted:

So you're browsing the morning newspaper looking through the funnies. Looks like Beetle Baily and Sarge are at it again. Oh man look at this, Hagar the Horrible is in trouble with his wife again. When is he going to learn? Wait, what's this next strip:

:stonk: .....What the gently caress is this poo poo and what is it doing between Hagar the Horrible and Mary Worth?

Only thing I could think of seeing this wall of text:

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

lol

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone remember about when Bruce started whining about Disney's buying of Marvel?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

ThirdPartyView posted:

Anthropomorphic Republican Talking Duck and Mallard Swillmore should be brought in for inspiration (when I try to find them I only get dead images :().

The inebriated duck call has been heard:

* An explanation of the "Rachel Ray Terror Scarf" reference...

These followed a series of strips Tinsley did celebrating 15 years of his alcoholic ramblings somehow being published in newspapers:

* Interestingly, Tinsley did his own "Mallard gets fired" story a year or so after these, though I don't know if he ever actually resolved that, or if he just forgot, and had the character randomly back at work, after awhile...

* That's Tinsley, above, as seen in his DUI mug shot, or the classic "80-90 hours of research" video... the contents of the first three dialogue balloons were copied verbatim from a Mallard Fillmore strip, including the extremely sloppy text placement in the second one... I assume Tinsley was even drunker than usual when he drew it...

Finally, here's a fairly newish one that followed a series of strips Tinsley did about spanking, or maybe Brett Noel was filling in for him that week, I don't know:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Looks like we got a ringer.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Deep Hurting posted:

The inebriated duck call has been heard:

* An explanation of the "Rachel Ray Terror Scarf" reference...

These followed a series of strips Tinsley did celebrating 15 years of his alcoholic ramblings somehow being published in newspapers:

* Interestingly, Tinsley did his own "Mallard gets fired" story a year or so after these, though I don't know if he ever actually resolved that, or if he just forgot, and had the character randomly back at work, after awhile...

* That's Tinsley, above, as seen in his DUI mug shot, or the classic "80-90 hours of research" video... the contents of the first three dialogue balloons were copied verbatim from a Mallard Fillmore strip, including the extremely sloppy text placement in the second one... I assume Tinsley was even drunker than usual when he drew it...

Finally, here's a fairly newish one that followed a series of strips Tinsley did about spanking, or maybe Brett Noel was filling in for him that week, I don't know:

:captainpop: The competition is heating up and it's only day 3! Also, I've added an avatar cert to the first place bundle of prizes. It was supposed to be there all along but I forgot to include it when I was typing the op.

Edit: Nevermind

Koishi Komeiji fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone PM that Faithmouse guy so that he can claim an easy victory by making a sequel to his earlier masterpiece.

(Please do not actually do this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
you can improve alot of them by adding extra panels

• Locked thread