Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Coolguye posted:

This is basically the correct way to play EG and I don't know how anyone lives with having a Mastermind that's not Alexis. Not having to worry about your idiot henchmen running off and leaving the nerve center unpopulated is sublime.

Early game : strategically placed vases, paintings, and research objects. That and having a timeclock set to high staffing, since early in the game you won't have research and thus no dire need for your technicians and guards to be anywhere but the control room.

Alternatively, any evil genius can keep people eternally happy by sacrificing a construction worker once every few minutes. It's such a massive boost to all stats and the AOI is double or triple the normal size.

Late game : Uber Loot and the Big Screen keeps people in the control room forever.

Deki posted:

I never really liked Alexis since a single piece of uberloot did her job for her, and Eli isn't nearly as broken as the other two starting henchmen

Eli isn't bad if you stick him out in the world somewhere and just forget about him. He's strong enough to survive for half an hour or more by himself, he pulls in a decent amount ($2000 per minute from a $9 territory, same as 5 construction workers), and by himself he produces very little heat. It's worth just letting him do his thing for the steady cash trickle.

Super Headshot is also a good way to deal with a fleeing burglar who you can't catch up to, but I admit that compared to Mr.Teleport-Anywhere or Mr.Freeze-This-Guy-From-Across-The-Map his abilities are the weakest of them all.

khy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006
All right, I've done a third restart and am using the guidance from khy to try and make my base a little better. Seems to be going quite smoothly at this point.

Goddamn I wish I could zoom out better. The UI seems so cumbersome. I know it's an old game (and figuring out how to make it work at a higher resolution made it better) but I still wish I could see more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That's basically my argument. The early game is probably the second hardest portion in Evil Genius (the first being when the James Bond starts showing up on a regular basis), and Alexis makes the early game a substantial amount easier if you don't intend to be cheesy. You don't NEED henchmen early on, you really shouldn't need henchmen at all until Mariana Mamba starts showing up. Eli actually being good on the world map is a big shot in his favor, since you can get income without bringing too much down on your head, and Alexis hanging out in the Control Room means you don't need to worry about doing anything fancy in there until you're good and ready. It just works.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

mune posted:

Goddamn I wish I could zoom out better. The UI seems so cumbersome. I know it's an old game (and figuring out how to make it work at a higher resolution made it better) but I still wish I could see more.

You're in luck. Open up concept.cfg in \DynamicResources\Config, all the critical camera parameters are there in plain english.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The Russian henchman has probably killed more minions and caused more damage to my base with his rocket launcher than any of the enemy agents.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Poolparty posted:

The Russian henchman has probably killed more minions and caused more damage to my base with his rocket launcher than any of the enemy agents.

Yeah, I just got him because he's cool but he really sucks. His minefield ability seems useful but getting to unlock it will be hellish. For what it's worth, there is a mod you can apparently do via dropping a .txt into the game's files that will take his rockets away and give him Rambo's dual machine guns instead, but I couldn't get it to work, maybe because he's already in my game or something.

I never really messed with the hotel. Is it worth putting money into? Won't your social minons lose loyalty if you don't put vulnerable loot in there?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Really, I got more use out of just making the Control Room a big 2 space hallway with panels on either side. Then you plop the Painting somewhere in there to cover mainly the whole shebang.

You ordinarily wouldn't get a lot of use out of carving an actual room like it was a corridor (you wouldn't have space to put anything), but Control Panels are all flat and do fit nicely on the walls of a 'hallway', so.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Okay, the Red Ivan mod doesn't work unless you start a new game with it installed. Getting him killed by a super agent is gonna take a while, is there some way to just get rid of him (or better yet, switch him for another)? He keeps wrecking my poo poo and killing my minions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Okay, the Red Ivan mod doesn't work unless you start a new game with it installed. Getting him killed by a super agent is gonna take a while, is there some way to just get rid of him (or better yet, switch him for another)? He keeps wrecking my poo poo and killing my minions.
Build a tiny room or wall off a 2x2 dead-end corridor, set the door to security rating three and then order him in. Henchmen will go through if you order them but won't randomly wander so he'll be safely locked up. That or keep him permanently on the world map would work.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Poil posted:

Build a tiny room or wall off a 2x2 dead-end corridor, set the door to security rating three and then order him in. Henchmen will go through if you order them but won't randomly wander so he'll be safely locked up. That or keep him permanently on the world map would work.
Oh man, you mean you could build a specialized Red Ivan shack, for when you want some squads of troopers to blow up? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Evil Genius again, you know. :negative:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ivan shouldn't be anywhere inside the base, but he's drat nice wandering outside of it to take out those big groups of assholes who like swarming in. He can pretty much drop the group of enemy Minions at the end of the crime boss chain all by himslf.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Amazing. So I had set it up that I was taking no chances with soldiers storming in to kill my Genius. The only road to his lair went through the Training Room, which went to a door that opened up onto a Dreadmill, that would toss people into a gas trap, then it wound onto a couple of sensors to set off flame pits right in front of the door proper. On the other side of that door I had the Electrocannon tucked away in a corner, then a couple of Beehives flanking the conference table. And finally at the end of it all, I had a small corridor to retreat into for the very worst of emergencies. This had two Field Doors, the first of which opened onto a Prometheus trap, the second onto a Sentry Gun for Maxie to hide out by. If intruders survived all that, I supposed I deserved to die.

...well, all of that gets set up and then Soldiers start blowing up stuff from inside of my little last ditch hallway. I guess the game must have interpreted me as blocking something off, although it didn't look like that was the case. As it happened though, my Genius was not in the room, he was off inspiring people in the Control Room. The Soldiers immediately shoot down the Prometheus trap, then start getting gunned down by the turret. They run out, trigger the bees, keep running, trigger the Electrocannon and all die. Soooooo...it all worked, just completely in reverse. This is when I really love this game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I love that if you trap them they pull out a Loony Tunes portable hole and escape that way.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

0lives posted:

Oh man, you mean you could build a specialized Red Ivan shack, for when you want some squads of troopers to blow up? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Evil Genius again, you know. :negative:

This is how I use him, I have Ivan in every single base I play and I just use him for fun. He's in a shack, he's locked in and any agent that finds him is in for a very special surprise :black101:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Evil Genius was ace.

I always just built traps in my base and laughed if my minions were caught. Although I did build a separate entrance to trap rooms full of non lethal poo poo, sometimes I had agents stuck in there for days getting hosed up by traps.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've reinstalled evil genius and rediscovered the wonders of trapping 3 freaks in a room full of pressure pads linked up to a giant freezer trap room.

Its absolutely fantastic.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I love Evil Genius and was thinking of grabbing dungeon keeper, can I assume Dungeon Keeper 2 is the better one to go for in 2015?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Have you guys heard of KeeperRL

Its pretty cool a liitle like Dwarf fortress a little like dungeon keeper

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Hihohe posted:

So that succubus skill.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I love Evil Genius and was thinking of grabbing dungeon keeper, can I assume Dungeon Keeper 2 is the better one to go for in 2015?
Personally I prefer DK2 but I think both should work fine.

Hihohe posted:

That looks pretty cool. Is it worth 13 bucks for the current game? I don't particularly trust early access.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Poil posted:

That looks pretty cool. Is it worth 13 bucks for the current game? I don't particularly trust early access.

The free version is the same game, just with ASCII graphics and no music. So you could try that out first. It looks pretty cool, though I don't think there's a ton of features in yet (On the other hand, I've only watched some terrible Let's Plays of it where the person barely knew what they were doing)

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Just get both, probably cheap on gog. But DK2 is probably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hihohe posted:

Last time I was getting a base going a tree spirit spawned in between my minions and my base while I was deforesting and every single imp glitched out or something trying to return to the new job I set up via the shortest route possible, going near the tree spirit, backing down, trying again, backing down, forever. The tree spirit seemed oblivious.

loving... god drat No Heroes Allowed. I picked that game up way when it came out and was never able to even get it started, I couldn't figure out how to make an ecosystem go at all.

• Locked thread