Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ahahahaha what a ridiculous idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
3 blades on a razor? Preposterous.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.theonion.com/articles/gently caress-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Zero One posted:

3 blades on a razor? Preposterous.

Whoever wrote that sketch left money on the table if they didn't try suing Gillete for royalties.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You know guys, I like Jost and Che, I loved Amy and Seth, Weekend Update is still a solid bit usually, but man, remember when WU was loving good?

Quick sidebar: Michael Che is doing some shows for the International Melbourne Comedy Festival in a month or so - is he any good at a stand-up comedian/is he worth seeing?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

bubblelubble posted:

Quick sidebar: Michael Che is doing some shows for the International Melbourne Comedy Festival in a month or so - is he any good at a stand-up comedian/is he worth seeing?

Yes, absolutely. Part of his problem at SNL has been the show's inability to lean into his delivery style. He's great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mo0 posted:

Yes, absolutely. Part of his problem at SNL has been the show's inability to lean into his delivery style. He's great.

He has a delivery style? I can't stand listening to him.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I've watched the edited version of the debut ep a few times, but seeing it in its entirety seriously felt like a history lesson in the best way. It really adds to my appreciation of Lorne and everything he does.

That said, I didn't realize that all of Janis Ian's songs were 20 minutes long. Bring back Sia already

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can you explain this a little more?

Essentially, the highest quality tv capture you can do is to essentially save the stream directly as it airs on a TV tuner card or similar. Back in the early/mid 2000s when hdtv was taking off there was no format like x264 to deal with compressing HD video to a usable size and Xvid was struggling with it. On places like Usenet where file size doesn't really matter so much, you'd have people capping and uploading these (for the time) giant .TS captures of HDTV programs and films. Due to retention of the services, eventually the files disappear from the servers so if you didn't get them - tough luck.

From memory each episode ran about 10-12gb, so you're talking lots of diskspace if you wanted to keep a season of SNL, so the files seem to have generally just disappeared and as far as I'm aware haven't been rerun in full. 31x01 is the first episode broadcast, but s34 is the earliest I've been able to track down. Obviously the masters still exist, but SNL has always been one of those shows that you want those live first run versions before the scissors come out for various reasons.

Preservation of stuff like this is always a good thing, a few of us in the Running Man thread spent ages sourcing and compiling the first hundred episodes of the best quality versions of that show with the fan subs so people could easily find them in the thread, as lots of the original uploads were dying online.

Watched most of the 25th show last night, fun enough but (like tonight I'm sure) relying lots on clips that have been shown lots before. Wouldn't be surprised if they show the exact same video packages.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I may, for a moment, be really sappy and sentimental.

Tonight's show is going to have probably the largest reunion of former SNL cast members in the show's history, and considering how up there in age everyone is getting, it wouldn't surprise me if this number stands the test of timeNBC's increasingly short lifespan, but aside from the people who simply declined to attend (we'll miss you Cheri Oteri, not you so much, Victoria Jackson), there's a small group of former cast members we won't get to see tonight (though I'm sure their presence will be felt).

John Belushi
The first cast member to die, Belushi overdosed in 1982, less than three years after leaving SNL, leaving behind a career that was at it's brightest. He was one of the lynchpins of the original Not Ready For Prime-Time Players, with characters like Samurai Futaba and one half of the Blues Brothers, who would go on to be the stars of the first SNL-originated movie.

Gilda Radner
Another member of the original cast, Radner passed on after a long, very public battle with Ovarian cancer in 1989. One of the most multi-talented SNL cast members ever, Gilda created a lot of the most memorable female characters in the shows history, including Emily Litella and Roseanne Roseannadanna, and was probably the most successful female sketch comedian in the shows history, or at least until Kristin Wiig showed up.

Danitra Vance
A cast member from the first post-Ebersol season in 1985, Vance was a one-season wonder who was, essentially the token black female, and at the time, only the second black woman in the show's history, and the first to be made a full cast member. (for reference, we're now up to five) Was also the first person to impersonate Oprah on the show. She passed away from breast cancer in 1994.

Michael O'Donoghue
The original head writer for the show, O'Donoghue is notable for having been fired three different times, after the third, sixth, and eleventh seasons. One of the brightest minds to ever write for SNL, he helped sculpt the show in his founding years. He passed away after a bran hemorrhage in 1994.

Chris Farley
A cast member during the early nineties, arguably SNL's most influential time on the air, Farley was a magnetic presence on the SNL stage, with characters like Ned Crowley and Matt Foley, who quickly rose beyond SNL to begin what should have been a long, storied film career, which was unfortunately cut short in 1997, after a drug overdose, much the same as his idol, John Belushi.

Phil Hartman
Perhaps the most tragic death in this list, Hartman was killed by his wife in a fit of rage in 1998. The best utility actor to ever grace the floors of 30 Rock, Hartman was known as The Glue during his time on the show in the late '80s and early '90s, owing to his ability to hold the show together no matter what, and was one of the kindest, most talented people to ever be on the show. During the writing of the book Live from New York, the author said that the only person to not have a bad word said about them during his interviews with all of the cast members was Hartman.

Charles Rocket
Poised to be the big star of the Ebersol years, Rocket joined the cast in 1980, but was soon upstaged by Eddie Murphy. Coming on to fill the shoes of Chevy Chase in the Weekend Update seat, his time on the show was colored by a troubled production, and being the first person to say "gently caress" live on the air. He committed suicide in 2005.

Tom Davis
A writer on the early years of the show, Davis is best remembered as the comedy partner of Senator Al Franken, prior to his ascent to Congress. He was also co-creator of both Nick, the Lounge Singer and the Coneheads. He died of head and neck cancer in 2012.

Jan Hooks
Hooks joined the SNL cast at the same time as Phil Hartman, after coming up with him in the Groundlings, and was a strong supporting actress during the late '80s, an underrated time during the show. A woman of many impressions, she was the first to impersonate Hillary Clinton on the SNL stage. She passed away this past year, after a battle with cancer.

These nine people will certainly be represented at some point during the SNL40 show, though in what way, I dunno. If it were up to me, you'd play some greatest hits for each of them, closing off with what is now the most poignant sketch in the show's history, Love is a Dream.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sadly I think one of the reason for doing a big event for the 40th rather than wait until 50th is because of the age of some of the performers.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is it going to be 100% original stuff tonight or are they going to replay some classic sketches?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly I think one of the reason for doing a big event for the 40th rather than wait until 50th is because of the age of some of the performers.
Yeah, or even the 45th anniversary. Tonight is probably the last hurrah.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Charles Rocket

...and being the first person to say "gently caress" live on the air.
Paul Shaffer holds that honor, actually; a year earlier, on the 100th episode, he slipped up and, like Jenny Slate would do 30 years later, said "Fuckin'" instead of a substitute word ("Floggin'") in a sketch whose main joke was how often everyone said the f-word. But the show was doing a lot better that season, so nobody seemed to care very much. Funny how that works.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pwn posted:

Yeah, or even the 45th anniversary. Tonight is probably the last hurrah.
Paul Shaffer holds that honor, actually; a year earlier, on the 100th episode, he slipped up and, like Jenny Slate would do 30 years later, said "Fuckin'" instead of a substitute word ("Floggin'") in a sketch whose main joke was how often everyone said the f-word. But the show was doing a lot better that season, so nobody seemed to care very much. Funny how that works.

I felt so bad for Jenny Slate. I think that was her first-ever sketch.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Today talked with the show's cue card guy for the last 25 years this morning, and coming up on Meet The Press (yes, Meet The Press) Dana Carvey talks about "the SNL Effect" on politics. For those in the East, this has already aired, but it'll be online and will be rerun later after your 11PM local news in NBC All Night.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Retail Slave posted:

Is it going to be 100% original stuff tonight or are they going to replay some classic sketches?

I'm about 1/2 way through the 25th and that was mainly monologue style sketches interacting with celebs in the crowd, and slightly more serious introductions to clips. The clips are small fragments of sketches from half decades, not full things. They also do the same for musical peformances as well as live ones in the studio, and look back pieces on gilda, belushi etc.

It's entertaining enough but I hope they shake it up a bit more tonight rather than running those same vid packages.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Retail Slave posted:

I felt so bad for Jenny Slate. I think that was her first-ever sketch.

She's been finding steady work on various TV shows, though. Things could have worked out worse for her.

I have no idea what to make of this special at all. It could be great. It could be a trainwreck. But it's compelling either way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rolling Stone recently rated every cast member, in terms of screen performance (so, not counting writing and their career outside of SNL). All 141 are rated here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/saturday-night-live-all-141-cast-members-ranked-20150211

I have two gripes, and they go together; Bobby Moynihan's position should be switched with that of either Noel Wells or Brooks Whelan... Or both. Moynihan's more than Drunk Uncle, but I guess not, according to RS. I find him funny, and while Whelan may have been more of a writer (wasn't he?), his most memorable joke was a game show gag where he played himself, poking fun at the fact that he never gets screen time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Bobby and Norm definitely far too low on that list. And some of the current cast will probably deserve higher placing when they've finished, like Aidy. Higher than Brooks anyway, who I liked but left no impact.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have two gripes, and they go together; Bobby Moynihan's position should be switched with that of either Noel Wells or Brooks Whelan... Or both. Moynihan's more than Drunk Uncle, but I guess not, according to RS. I find him funny, and while Whelan may have been more of a writer (wasn't he?), his most memorable joke was a game show gag where he played himself, poking fun at the fact that he never gets screen time.

I agree that Moynihan was placed way too low, and also it's silly that Aidy is lumped in with the "new kids" group at this point.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The red carpet setup:

Not gonna be pretty when it's 11 degrees and falling

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Yoshifan823 posted:

If I may, for a moment, be really sappy and sentimental.

Tonight's show is going to have probably the largest reunion of former SNL cast members in the show's history, and considering how up there in age everyone is getting, it wouldn't surprise me if this number stands the test of timeNBC's increasingly short lifespan, but aside from the people who simply declined to attend (we'll miss you Cheri Oteri, not you so much, Victoria Jackson), there's a small group of former cast members we won't get to see tonight (though I'm sure their presence will be felt).

These nine people will certainly be represented at some point during the SNL40 show, though in what way, I dunno. If it were up to me, you'd play some greatest hits for each of them, closing off with what is now the most poignant sketch in the show's history, Love is a Dream.
John Belushi dancing in a graveyard would also work really well to close the tribute section. I want to smile while the room gets super dusty.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah Bobby and Norm definitely far too low on that list. And some of the current cast will probably deserve higher placing when they've finished, like Aidy. Higher than Brooks anyway, who I liked but left no impact.

Norm is one of those guys that you tend to really like or really hate. This guy clearly hates him with the "stare into the camera longer" thing. That was part of his charm for me.

And Moynihan is up there with McKinnon as a person that they can put into any failing skit and they can save it by themselves.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
They have a shitload of musical guests. Are there going to be a few collaborations? Because there won't be enough time to give them each a song.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Retail Slave posted:

They have a shitload of musical guests. Are there going to be a few collaborations? Because there won't be enough time to give them each a song.

I figured some would just be in sketches, like Timberlake.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
IS NBC streaming this online for free or do you need your cable providers info?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I gotta say, I still don't understand the crazy love for Aidy. I mean, she's ok, I don't hate her or anything, but she oversells it, all the time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rolling Stone recently rated every cast member, in terms of screen performance (so, not counting writing and their career outside of SNL). All 141 are rated here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/saturday-night-live-all-141-cast-members-ranked-20150211

This list is all over the place. It gets ok around 50 or so but he overrates way too many one season wonders.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Mooseontheloose posted:

This list is all over the place. It gets ok around 50 or so but he overrates way too many one season wonders.

It's good to know Rob Sheffield's lovely pop culture opinions extend beyond his music reviews.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I didn't want to do anything productive today so I put together my "Best of the Season" lineup based on all of the episodes so far:

COLD OPEN
Obama and McConnell drink in the White House (Woody Harrison)

MONOLOGUE
Chris Rock Standup (Chris Rock)

FIRST HALF
Sump'n Claus (Martin Freeman)
Farm Hunk (Blake Shelton)
Back Home Baller (Cameron Diaz)
Match'd (Woody Harrison)
Grow a Guy (James Franco)

MYOOOOOOSICAL GUEST
Prince

WEEKEND UPDATE
Riblet (Blake Shelton)
Leslie Jones on Mushrooms (James Franco)
Stefon (Bill Hader)

SECOND HALF
Rap Lyric Flirting (Chris Pratt)
Swiftamine (Chris Rock)
Tad Rankin vs Kid Mayor (James Franco)

TEN-TO-ONE
Waterbed Warehouse (Martin Freeman)

e: As always, this is based on my personal taste and may not reflect blah blah... I really should put together an "also ran" list.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 16, 2015

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I'm going to watch this all the way through tonight, but I hope it's more sketch-oriented and not as much like the "SNL In the 19X0s" retrospectives, which get pretty self-indulgent.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I didn't want to do anything productive today so I put together my "Best of the Season" lineup based on all of the episodes so far:

Curse your anti-magic-boot bias

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Curse your anti-magic-boot bias

Those were my mama's boots!

https://screen.yahoo.com/snl/holiday-gig-091748359.html

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 16, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retail Slave posted:

I'm guessing that Paul McCartney and Ye will do their song, but that's probably gonna be it.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Kristen Wiig rated too high. Probably Amy Poehler too but not that far off, just not in my Top 10. Bobby Moynihan, Norm MacDonald, Keenan and Jay Pharaoh all got kind of screwed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrChupon posted:

Kristen Wiig rated too high. Probably Amy Poehler too but not that far off, just not in my Top 10. Bobby Moynihan, Norm MacDonald, Keenan and Jay Pharaoh all got kind of screwed.

I love Norm to death (see him live if you can, excellent show), but he was underused on SNL.

That's what the Germans would have you believe.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Boooots. :colbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Sarah Palin really one of the first people they thought to interview? Really?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

probably the most successful female sketch comedian in the shows history, or at least until Kristin Wiig showed up.

(Though admittedly she was strongest post SNL.)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Less Palin, more of the B-52s in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

lelandjs posted:

Is Sarah Palin really one of the first people they thought to interview? Really?

Get her out of the way quick at least.

• Locked thread