Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

real talk madoka is my favorite anime of all time and even i hate how much praise people give it

I liked it but seeing Urobochi rehash a bunch of the same aspects in Gaim made me like it a bit less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe urobuchi just wanted to write a kamen rider series the whole time

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

I liked it but seeing Urobochi rehash a bunch of the same aspects in Gaim made me like it a bit less.

shouldn't that make you like gaim less

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

It would've made a really good superhero drama if it aimed for a demographic a bit older than it did.
Then we wouldn't have dancing fruit samurai.

He stole a lot of stuff in Madoka from Ryuki.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

shouldn't that make you like gaim less

it made me like both less. Gaim significantly more so.

Endorph posted:

maybe urobuchi just wanted to write a kamen rider series the whole time

:unsmith:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

that feel when you realize anime story telling has peaked with Magical Girls Puella Magi Madoka

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Then we wouldn't have dancing fruit samurai.

He stole a lot of stuff in Madoka from Ryuki.

I'm just upset because they got rid of the dancing and we could have had just straight warring states with superpowered dance battles. :cry:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

almost every author tends to repeat themes so i don't really see the problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

almost every author tends to repeat themes so i don't really see the problem
especially considering, as shown, its not like madoka invented those themes

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

that feel when you realize anime story telling has peaked with Magical Girls Puella Magi Madoka Neon Genesis Evangelion
Let's be honest with ourselves here.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

me after watching another masterpiece series by General Urobutchi

----------------

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm just upset because they got rid of the dancing and we could have had just straight warring states with superpowered dance battles. :cry:

That reminds me, to me Gaim drops the ball with how it set up stuff in the begining and then didn't really live up to any of it later on. The warring state flashforwards being an alternate universe Mai goes to for no real reason where nothing happens and Mai just messing up everything she actually wanted to say were both really terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

real talk madoka is my favorite anime of all time and even i hate how much praise people give it

It's at the very least my favourite anime of the 21st century. However the Madoka thread is probably one of the most insufferable things I've ever read in my entire life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's at the very least my favourite anime of the 21st century. However the Madoka thread is probably one of the most insufferable things I've ever read in my entire life.
im still confused and unnerved by people who think madoka was trying to deliver a sick own on normal magical girl shows, or that those shows deserved some sort of sick own

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Madoka is a really good show by itself but it inspired a bunch trend of dark magical girl stuff, like Watchmen accidentally resulting in the Dark Age of Comic Books back in the 90s.

Sailor Nothing did it first anyway. Everyone should read Sailor Nothing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, really? I can't think of that many magical girl shows that were super dark after Madoka. I guess there's Wixoss, and Yuki Yona, but that's about it, and those were years after the fact. Wixoss isn't even really a 'magical girl' show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, I can think of what like three?-ish since Madoka came out and two of those were from last year.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Madoka was OK and I have no real strong feelings about it either way. Admittedly I watched after it fully aired to see what all the hype and hubbub was about.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

Eh, really? I can't think of that many magical girl shows that were super dark after Madoka. I guess there's Wixoss, and Yuki Yona, but that's about it, and those were years after the fact. Wixoss isn't even really a 'magical girl' show.

There's also The Sun Penetrates the Illusion.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I loving hate Madoka it ruined my life

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Endorph posted:

im still confused and unnerved by people who think madoka was trying to deliver a sick own on normal magical girl shows, or that those shows deserved some sort of sick own

lol if you dont critically analyze the plot holes in entertainment written for 3 year old girls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silver2195 posted:

There's also The Sun Penetrates the Illusion.

That's the other one I was thinking of, it was so boring I stopped watching half way through. Much like WIXOSS and Yuki Yuna actually.

Yuki Yuna was okay-ish though, I'm gonna go back to it one day.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

Daybreak Illusion was like a Mexican-flea-market-action-figure version of Madoka. It kinda resembles the original a little if you squint, but the name is wrong, the paint doesn't stay within the lines, and the limbs have a tendency to fall off.

e:f;b

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Madoka's alright

Urobuchi's alright

I should early watch Gaim

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay, that's three. And of those I'd say Daybreak Illusion is the only direct ripoff, Yuki and Wixoss went in pretty different directions even if they were obviously influenced by it.

Honestly the thing I've really noticed about Madoka influencing later anime are way more shallow. Like drill hair coming back into vogue.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

aers posted:

I loving hate Madoka it ruined my life
That's kind of obvious from how often you bring it up.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really, I can think of what like three?-ish since Madoka came out and two of those were from last year.
It was less that it spawned a bunch of shows trying to be Madoka Magica and more that every other show with a somewhat dark theme was compared to Madoka Magica or was apparently trying to be Madoka Magica for oh... about 3 years after it aired.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

aers posted:

lol if you dont critically analyze the plot holes in entertainment written for 3 year old girls

Most of the magical girl shows that really deserve to be picked apart are aimed at adult men.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

It was less that it spawned a bunch of shows trying to be Madoka Magica and more that every other show with a somewhat dark theme was compared to Madoka Magica or was apparently trying to be Madoka Magica for oh... about 3 years after it aired.
yeah basically

faustian bargains got ruined by madoka

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twiddy posted:

Now that I do remember, ugh.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

yeah basically

faustian bargains got ruined by madoka
The funniest part to me was that Madoka Magica became known for having a "sudden shift" towards being dark and all I saw when I saw it were deep dark shadows and just about every film technique possible for "this is not gonna be a cute adorable ride."

Basically, most people are really stupid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

Madoka's alright

Urobuchi's alright

I should early watch Gaim

Please do. It's such an incredible show. It's one of the best live action television productions I've ever seen, like, it's up there with Twin Peaks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the problem is I generally watch poo poo with my fiance to make sure I keep focused on it and don't drop it out of sheer absentmindedness after a few episode but she refuses to get emotionally attached to a Rider series again after Fourze broke her heart

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

Please do. It's such an incredible show. It's one of the best live action television productions I've ever seen, like, it's up there with Twin Peaks.

I'm actually making this face right now :psyduck: , no seriously, bill and everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

The funniest part to me was that Madoka Magica became known for having a "sudden shift" towards being dark and all I saw when I saw it were deep dark shadows and just about every film technique possible for "this is not gonna be a cute adorable ride."

Basically, most people are really stupid.
To be fair, if you were watching it as it aired, Mami's chomp was pretty surprising. It was pretty obvious language for shady undertones/something weird going on, but the Mami thing still came out of left field for how sudden it was.

Over time that got turned into 'the first 3 episodes are completely normal magical girl stuff until Mami dies,' even though the opening shot is creepy chanting and dramatic orchestra while Madoka stands in a ruined city.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

the problem is I generally watch poo poo with my fiance to make sure I keep focused on it and don't drop it out of sheer absentmindedness after a few episode but she refuses to get emotionally attached to a Rider series again after Fourze broke her heart

It's completely different, if that helps. Also, awesome for watching stuff with your fiance! That's cool.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm actually making this face right now :psyduck: , no seriously, bill and everything.

Kamen Rider Gaim is really, really good. :)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

WickedHate posted:

Kamen Rider Gaim is really, really good. :)

It's more the best TV production you've ever seen and comparison to Twin Peaks we're concerned about.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I watched the first episode of Madoka a while after it aired and it didn't really draw my interest but her mom and family were pretty cool. That's my Madoka story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Allarion posted:

It's more the best TV production you've ever seen and comparison to Twin Peaks we're concerned about.

I love Breaking Bad and Gaim blew it out of the loving water. It's just such an incredible story. Like, a modern epic. It's kind of sad it's one series in an annual franchise. It really deserves to stand on it's own. It should be like The Wire where people decades from now are pointing back to Gaim as an amazing show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i forgot about the Madoka mom. adding her to my hot and sexy moms of anime and manga spreadsheet

----------------

• Locked thread