Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nintendo sucks really bad at the internet. Never forget that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nintendo is a company run by a bunch of old businessmen, which leads to a business model that doesn't understand this new-fangled "internet" thing their grandkids keep talking about, but it's also the reason that Nintendo still thinks that making good games instead of exploitative mobile gacha crapfests is the way to make The Most Money, so really you have to kinda take the bitter with the better.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Nintendo sucks really bad at the internet. Never forget that

a passing trend, unlike Mario

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Waltzing Along posted:

What if I already have enough H's and am in the market for some Ks and Vs?

It's probably got a github, I'm sure you can fork it and change the icon/name.

Tangentially, I remember seeing a luma update mention that it can load patches, rather than you going through the trouble of patching a cia or whatever. Does it work well/is there much that makes use of this? On the vita side, there's tons of translations/undubs/weird nude patches for pixel games (lol) that use repatch, which i assume works somewhat similarly; but the only 3ds thing I can think of that involves patching is the translation for great ace attorney (and the dead-seeming effort for the 2nd one).

So: anything cool done with patches for 3ds stuff? And is there some sort of place to look for this sort of thing? The obvious reddit (much like the vita one) is mostly full of people who can't follow directions asking for help, or requesting ports of things that obviously won't work.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zenostein posted:

It's probably got a github, I'm sure you can fork it and change the icon/name.

Tangentially, I remember seeing a luma update mention that it can load patches, rather than you going through the trouble of patching a cia or whatever. Does it work well/is there much that makes use of this? On the vita side, there's tons of translations/undubs/weird nude patches for pixel games (lol) that use repatch, which i assume works somewhat similarly; but the only 3ds thing I can think of that involves patching is the translation for great ace attorney (and the dead-seeming effort for the 2nd one).

So: anything cool done with patches for 3ds stuff? And is there some sort of place to look for this sort of thing? The obvious reddit (much like the vita one) is mostly full of people who can't follow directions asking for help, or requesting ports of things that obviously won't work.
Luma auto-patching works fine, I've used it to patch the orchestral music back into the Dragon Quest 8 port. There's also a handful of translations that utilize it. Best place to look IME is on GBATemp.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I can't exactly remember what were pre-patched CIAs and what I had to do through Luma, but I think I patched the third DQ Slime game and Lost Planet spin-off E.X. Troopers that way.

Note that the latter also has a pre-patched version which is obviously a messy machine translation instead of the far more sophisticated work done by a fan translation group.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Does Luma not support the .3ds file format? I checked my go-to depository of T-En ROMs and that's what's inside all the Zips.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Luna/FBI is designed to install .CIAs to your home screen.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You'll be able to boot a 3DS with cfw into GodMode9 to convert a .3ds file to a CIA. It's awkward, takes a while and it'll consume more space for a bit, but it can be done:
https://www.cfwaifu.com/3ds-to-cia/

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Zenostein posted:

This, although the DS game is better.

https://fantranslators.info/projects/rocket-slime-3ds/

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they should've done what Sony was (rightfully) bullied into and stopped at eliminating financial transactions through the storefront, because that was the only real security concern.

If the money's already in the Nintendo account, there's no reason to be worried about the 3DS saying "Buy me this game" to the server, because anything past that request is handled server-side.

Was the wallet between the NNID and the Nintendo Account shared? I thought part of their problem was that the systems were disconnected and a mess. Sony’s path was easier for them because it was the same PSN account.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they should've done what Sony was (rightfully) bullied into and stopped at eliminating financial transactions through the storefront, because that was the only real security concern.

If the money's already in the Nintendo account, there's no reason to be worried about the 3DS saying "Buy me this game" to the server, because anything past that request is handled server-side.
Yeah, it's weird that when Sony went "hey we're shutting down services on our old consoles" everyone went and started petitions to stop it but when Nintendo did it I heard barely a peep about it. I guess Nintendo has so much cultural clout that they get to do what they want and nobody complains?

Shiroc posted:

Was the wallet between the NNID and the Nintendo Account shared? I thought part of their problem was that the systems were disconnected and a mess. Sony’s path was easier for them because it was the same PSN account.
You could link your 3DS and Wii U eShop accounts to your NNID and after that they were all functionally the same account, you could add funds on a Switch and spend them on 3DS, for example. There was nothing stopping them from doing the same thing Sony did, they just don't care.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, it's weird that when Sony went "hey we're shutting down services on our old consoles" everyone went and started petitions to stop it but when Nintendo did it I heard barely a peep about it. I guess Nintendo has so much cultural clout that they get to do what they want and nobody complains?

It’s because

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Nintendo sucks really bad at the internet.

And everyone just sort of knows that by now. People expect the Sony store to hang around for a while, but no one’s surprised when Nintendo unceremoniously shuts down their previous gen online store because that’s par for the course with them

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Also nintendo is one of the most anti-consumer companies I can think of.

"Because gently caress you, that's why."
-Nintendo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For real, can you imagine Sony shutting down the ps4’s ability to buy games? It would be anarchy. That’s the equivalent of what Nintendo did with the Wii U and 3DS

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
You should be able to install a .3ds file through Godmode9 the same way you install a game off a cart, no need for a conversion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Also by the time Nintendo announced that they were shutting down their servers, 3DS and Wii U piracy were both so healthy that no one had anything to really panic about.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can see shutting down the Wii U shop because there are probably only 600 of them in use but 3DS still had some life in it. Would think it’d stay open until 2029 at least

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hatty posted:

I can see shutting down the Wii U shop because there are probably only 600 of them in use but 3DS still had some life in it. Would think it’d stay open until 2029 at least

It's all the same backend API to a Nintendo account, there's zero practical reason to kill those endpoints beyond the finance-touching ones for security purposes.

The only stores that justifiably died were the Wii's (esoteric seperate API) and the PSP's own PSN store (Their wifi's outdated, they literally cant connect to it anymore, and you can use a PS3 anyway).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What’s the max size MicroSD card a 3DS can handle? I have a 32gb in there right now and I think the max FAT32 can handle is 32gb, but are there ways around that?

Also if I upgrade to a bigger card, how do I migrate everything without loving up my 3DS and having to re-Homebrew it?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I forget the process bc Im phonepoasting and falling asleep but Im on 128gb and Im some sort of dolt

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xenomrph posted:

What’s the max size MicroSD card a 3DS can handle? I have a 32gb in there right now and I think the max FAT32 can handle is 32gb, but are there ways around that?

Also if I upgrade to a bigger card, how do I migrate everything without loving up my 3DS and having to re-Homebrew it?
You're going to need to format it as FAT32, which Windows at least does not support on SD cards larger than (IIRC) 32gb. There's a utility called guiformat that handles formatting and will format larger SD cards as FAT32. Other than that there's no special process you need to do to copy everything over. Just make sure that boot.firm is in the root of your SD when you're done and you're good - and depending upon how recently you did the softmod you might not even need that.

Larger SD cards do slow down boot for both Luma and DS mode significantly, I'm on a 128gb card and my New 3DS XL takes noticeably longer to boot than it did on a smaller card.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xenomrph posted:

I think mine had a 500gb one but it sure wasn't fast to start up

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Also nintendo is one of the most anti-consumer companies I can think of.

"Because gently caress you, that's why."
-Nintendo

Gonna be real. There was a day where I thought stuff like Kotaku writing about emulating Metroid Dredd during launch was kinda shite to do but it is certainly night now.

Edit: JFC, they're chasing up putting up saucy fan-art now.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 20, 2024

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

You're going to need to format it as FAT32, which Windows at least does not support on SD cards larger than (IIRC) 32gb. There's a utility called guiformat that handles formatting and will format larger SD cards as FAT32. Other than that there's no special process you need to do to copy everything over. Just make sure that boot.firm is in the root of your SD when you're done and you're good - and depending upon how recently you did the softmod you might not even need that.

Larger SD cards do slow down boot for both Luma and DS mode significantly, I'm on a 128gb card and my New 3DS XL takes noticeably longer to boot than it did on a smaller card.

It's been a while since I did it, but I vaguely recall an additional step: Make sure your new SD Card has the same volume name as the old one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zonekeeper posted:

It's been a while since I did it, but I vaguely recall an additional step: Make sure your new SD Card has the same volume name as the old one.

I don’t think I did that (or if I did, it was an accident) but I did the other stuff and it seems to be working fine in my 3DS so :shrug:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I opened up Universal Updater today for the red viper update and just noticed that there's a Moonlight client now? Looks like it was first released two months ago, maybe it's old news. But I am seriously in hog heaven.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Manky posted:

I opened up Universal Updater today for the red viper update and just noticed that there's a Moonlight client now? Looks like it was first released two months ago, maybe it's old news. But I am seriously in hog heaven.

Red Viper is the Virtual Boy emulator, right?

Also teach me about universal updater and how to use it.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Manky posted:

Does moonlight work well? I'm on spring break with the kids and forgot the 3ds at home to test this.:doh:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Red Viper is the Virtual Boy emulator, right?

Also teach me about universal updater and how to use it.

Yep! As for UU, I think it's usually installed as a step of CFW. But if you have CFW and still need to install it, probably easiest to remote install the CIA through FBI - I think you can scan the code at https://github.com/Universal-Team/Universal-Updater/releases

UU is pretty straightforward after that, it'll do its best to detect what homebrew you have installed and the biggest things to remember are whether you have something installed as a CIA or 3dsx file while updating. (Note: UU will install CIAs itself, you don't need to go to FBI again. That tripped me up for a second.)

lostleaf posted:

Does moonlight work well? I'm on spring break with the kids and forgot the 3ds at home to test this.:doh:

To be honest, after I got it working last night, I couldn't get another session to connect. So it's definitely still a little rough. But while it was working, Crazy Taxi was pretty playable. It had some occasional hitching issues, and of course the compression was aggressive going from 1080p, but input latency was very nice and low - should be good enough for most games (for me, anyway). I'm definitely going to be messing around more when I have the time, I'm dying to know what I can get working in 3D.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Just modded my 3DS XL. Whats the largest SD card that will work well? I'm using a 32 right now. Will a 128 affect boot time?

e:read comments further up. Looks like larger cards slow down boot time significantly.

E: hey cool, 3DSident tells me that I have an IPS upper screen and a TN lower screen. Does anyone have two IPS screens?, because I think that would be the rarest config.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 25, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

tango alpha delta posted:

Just modded my 3DS XL. Whats the largest SD card that will work well? I'm using a 32 right now. Will a 128 affect boot time?

e:read comments further up. Looks like larger cards slow down boot time significantly.

I put a 128 in mine last week and it’s doing okay.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

it’s not really that big of a deal unless you’re just turning your 3ds on and off over and over again. i have a 128gb sd and it just takes a moment. it doesn’t make it as slow as something like turning on a wii u

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Manky posted:

Yep! As for UU, I think it's usually installed as a step of CFW. But if you have CFW and still need to install it, probably easiest to remote install the CIA through FBI - I think you can scan the code at https://github.com/Universal-Team/Universal-Updater/releases

UU is pretty straightforward after that, it'll do its best to detect what homebrew you have installed and the biggest things to remember are whether you have something installed as a CIA or 3dsx file while updating. (Note: UU will install CIAs itself, you don't need to go to FBI again. That tripped me up for a second.)

To be honest, after I got it working last night, I couldn't get another session to connect. So it's definitely still a little rough. But while it was working, Crazy Taxi was pretty playable. It had some occasional hitching issues, and of course the compression was aggressive going from 1080p, but input latency was very nice and low - should be good enough for most games (for me, anyway). I'm definitely going to be messing around more when I have the time, I'm dying to know what I can get working in 3D.

Sonic Generations has side by side 3D and I can confirm it works from today's experiments.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Dumping my physical DS cartridges is astonishingly simple. Did you know that The World Ends With You is only 128 Megabytes? That’s some serious optimization.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Dumping my physical DS cartridges is astonishingly simple. Did you know that The World Ends With You is only 128 Megabytes? That’s some serious optimization.

Most of that is probably mp3s, too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

and probably not all of that 128MB is actually used, it's just rounded up to fill a standard cart size

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What cart reader do you have, and does it do more than DS carts? Interested in dumping my physical Nintendo handheld collection (at least the stuff older than a 3DS) and just having the Ur-Handheld for everything I own.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You can dump (3)DS carts directly on the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
With a DS flashcart you can use an OG DS/DS Lite to dump GBA carts. With a hacked 3DS you can use GodMode9 to dump both DS and 3DS carts.

You can dump DS carts with just a DS but it requires a Slot 2 DS flash cart (not a GBA one, pretty rare), or doing it over WiFi which only works with WEP and a Windows XP FTP host and also takes hours, so don't do it that way.