Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I moved to a different state (in the US) and want to change my region on my 3DS, but when I go into Region Settings under Profile on my 3DS it warns me about not being able to access things requiring a NNID if I change those settings. That's only going to be the case if I change my Country, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
poo poo, he was younger than my dad. What a loss :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
MH4U owns and the only reason I've stopped playing it for now (after 250 hours :negative:) is that I want to give the Bravely Default demo due diligence before buying the full version of the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Any guesses as to why my 3DS XL is having trouble reading cartridges now? If I have a cartridge in the system, the Home menu will sometimes act like I keep removing and reinserting the cart, or it just won't recognize that there is a cart in the system at all. I was also playing a cart game and the system suddenly told me that the cart had been removed, except that I hadn't removed it.

E: No I haven't done any homebrew on this system.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 23, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

Contacts could be dirty? Try cleaning the slot with compressed air.

Could it potentially be a system software issue? It first started happening after I changed the cart while a game was suspended (but not the game on the cart), which I feel like I've done without issue before but I haven't picked up my 3DS in a while. It also seems like it's taking longer than usual to recognize when I've removed or inserted a cart, but again it's been a while since I was doing this a lot. Not sure if leaving the same cart in the slot for months on end can affect it negatively or not...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 23, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There'll probably be a Direct either late this month or early next month and the current rumour is there's a new Zelda game coming for 3DS and it may or may not be a Link Between Worlds-style reimagining of Link's Awakening.

I didn't know Nintendo was reading my Games posts for the last two years (please please make this game Nintendo).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gonna buy myself something on my 3DS wish list as a Christmas present ahead of an overseas trip, help me out goons-
WarioWare Gold ($40)
Luigi's Mansion 1 ($40)
SteamWorld Dig 2 ($20)
SteamWorld Heist ($15)

Definitely want to get WarioWare eventually but it seems like an awful airplane game, or an awful game to play in public in general.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Decided to turn my 3DS on for the first time in a month and discovered that Steamworld Dig, Dig 2, and Heist are all mad discounted on the eShop right now, if you haven't played them already. I had Dig 2 wishlisted for a while so it was a nice surprise to see.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even though I would never play it again, probably MH4U given the sheer amount of time spent in it.

Same. LBW is really drat good too.

I have Kid Icarus but only played the first couple of missions, I don't remember being turned off by the control scheme so I'll have to revisit it someday (and the 80% of my 3DS library that I never finished)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyway, I'm playing Metroid Samus Returns. Does the game not control very well or is the circle pad crap because I'm having a hell of a time stuff because nothing feels precise at all.

Something felt off about the controls for me too, i eventually lost interest in the game because I didn't like how it handled.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh shoot they're going to stop letting use credit cards on the console eShop client? I don't actually know how to buy stuff on the actual eShop website, I should probably figure that out. Then again I have so much stuff on this console that I haven't beaten, why do I need to buy anything new :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nice, I dinked around with the EOIV demo a while ago and liked it, $8 seems like a good deal.

Any must-haves here?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

Like, all the Etrian Odyssey games.
Radiant Historia is good too.
People like SMT but I never played it.

I don't actually know what Radiant Historia is :ssh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can't wait to buy the FE Awakening DLC and never actually play it.

E: And the Smash 4 characters :shepface:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are flash carts a subsection of 3DS hacking, or is that starting to get into :filez: territory? I've long had a dream of copying my physical GBA and DS library onto some sort of group storage and playing those off of my 3DS, but I have no idea how feasible that would be.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

drat, just noticed my 3DS' battery was starting to bulge. Immediately disposed of it. Luckily I bought a brand new official one as a spare a few months ago.

Be careful if you're on your original battery, pals.:unsmith:

My system is coming up on eight years old but the battery still seems OK. I've been meaning to pick up a spare just in case though, thanks for the reminder.

E: I can't believe how much money I'm mentally preparing to spend on this system that I haven't played with any regularity since 2018.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 23, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do any of you still get Streetpasses ever?

I hope Nintendo brings that back for Switch 2 or whatever since it’s fun.

No, probably in large part because I haven't done much travel in the last two years :v: Streetpassing whipped rear end though.

I fired up my 3DS to check my Streetpass map out of curiosity, and the most obscure country I got on my map is Anguilla which I had to look up just now lol. I wonder where I encountered that person?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's the first country on the list, so it's most likely the person just mashed A when it asked what country they were from. I'm pretty sure everyone's encountered a Mii from there.

Boooooo

Most obscure after that is...Uruguay I guess? I'm in the US and really wanted to get all 50 states, but only made it to 39 :( Got Hawaii and Alaska at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
People seem to love Phoenix Wright but the series never jumped out at me. If you had to recommend one of these to a Phoenix Wright skeptic/newcomer, which would you recommend?

Alxprit posted:

I'd definitely just say get 4 Ultimate and if you like it then get Generations Ultimate on the Switch when it next goes on sale rather than getting the pared-down Generations on 3DS.

Worth noting that there's a free program you can download that allows you to transfer a MH Gen save from your 3DS to the Switch version of the game, if you're into that. But I put almost 250 hours into 4U and only about 30 into Gen so definitely get 4U.

There's no way the 4U multi-player servers are still up, right? It's a shame, co-op MH rules.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 15, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How easy is it to transfer your 3DS data from one SD card to another? I just realized that I "only" have a 32 GB card in my OG XL, I'm hoping that I will have the restraint not to fill it up before the eShop closes but maybe someday I will take the plunge into hacking my system, and might need the extra space there...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RichterIX posted:

It's super easy, you literally just drag and drop on a PC. I usually take the opportunity to make a backup just in case.

Oh so there's no DRM or whatever on the card once it's been configured to store and read 3DS data, neat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If I have 0 Platinum Coins right now, what's the easiest way to get 1000 to get the Zelda Picross game?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dunno if anyone has the special version of Final Fantasy 1 from the Japanese eShop, but if you do then apparently it's gotten a full translation patch-
https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/titjc2/final_fantasy_1_3ds_is_now_fully_playable_in/

Wish they had brought this stateside...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I bought Radiant Historia the last time this sale rolled through, and I didn't realize that the game had DLC. I'd any of it worth having?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone here played Severed? I saw it on a couple of "here's what you should buy before the eShop goes down" lists and picked it up on sale the other day. Neat little action dungeon crawler where you use the stylus for directional sword strikes and to dismember monsters. It's got a pretty striking visual style too, a weird mix of Mesoamerican(?) styling and psychedelic color schemes. It's not terribly complex so far but I'm liking it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Capcom is running back the sale they did a month or two ago, if anyone missed that. Does the Mega Man Legacy Collection have anything cool enough to entice someone who's played all of those games already?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I lost interest but it seems to be a pretty cool game. Let us know how it ends up.

Finished Severed today, and it was pretty neat! Clocked in at 6 1/2 hours to 100% it, it's not super-challenging but they drip-feed enough new mechanics and plot beats that I felt pretty engaged the whole time. Definitely worth checking out if it goes on sale again, and if you like swiping your touch screen like a maniac.

To anyone who's beaten it- at the end of the game, how do you open the room underneath your house, where there's a pull switch that spawns enemies every time you activate it? The door always closes as soon as the enemies spawn, I've tried it a dozen times and at this point I'm ready to say that it's bugged. Am I missing something?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why can't it be $19.99 like the eShop version :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’ll be worth triple that in a year or 2 so still a good deal.

:hmmyes:

Too bad I almost never sell physical games though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there an easy guide to correctly formatting a > 32GB card if I am one of those weirdos who's hasn't modified their 3DS? I'm debating if I want to make the effort to put a bigger card in, I have a 32 GB right now and she's starting to get a little full.

beer gas canister posted:

Started Etrian Odyssey IV recently. I've never enjoyed blobbers before but I'm quite taken with this. It feels like a hearty, sturdy sort of a game.

Was thinking that this would be my next game on my backlog after Severed, which has the same style of first-person dungeon crawling. Thanks for the reminder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The 3DS Theaterhythm Final Fantasy is half off on the US eShop for a few days, who wants to go to bat for it? I think I've heard mostly good things but I want to say they were for a version on another platform.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
They knew what they were doing with the demo by putting in a Final Fantasy VI song specifically to entice me, but holy smokes 13k blocks :negative: Time to pull the trigger on that larger SD card I guess.

E: We're coming up on the deadline to add funds to the eShop via credit card right? I thought it was May 20-something this year.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 9, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Good call on Theaterhythm, they included tracks from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles so obviously I'm in. Do you unlock more songs by playing through the game, or is everything else behind DLC (which I don't think I can buy right away?)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do the Nintendo Store cards that they sell today work on the 3DS as well as the Switch, or should I pump my life savings into my eShop wallet before tomorrow :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

They work across both (Wii U too). Your balance is shared too if you have the same account on each.

Don't have a Switch unfortunately, but thanks. Why would I need one when I have so much to play on this thing?!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Spellman posted:

Check if you can buy 3DS titles directly through the Nintendo eShop online, and if it works, the game will download while your 3DS is in Sleep Mode

https://www.nintendo.com/en-ca/store/products/kersploosh-3ds/

I don't know that I ever linked my specific 3DS to my Nintendo account, even though my Nintendo Network ID is apparently connected and it knows how much money I have in my eShop wallet :confused: Tried downloading a demo last night as a test and it never went through, is there something specific that I need to do to link them?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Spellman posted:

It sounds like you're set up, I guess make sure that your 3DS is connected to the internet while in Sleep Mode? Also check if you have the latest firmware, try turning it off and on again, etc

It's possible that you might have to update to a Nintendo Account (maybe the NNID is being sunsetted with the Wii U and 3DS)

https://en-americas-support.nintend...endo-network-id

I definitely have a Nintendo Account, and my profile shows it linked to my NNID. Going to have to play around with it some more I guess...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have been staring at this guide for formatting cards > 32 GB but haven't had a chance to go get a new card and actually try it yet. I think someone in the thread might have linked it earlier?
https://stoneagegamer.com/fat32.html

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

https://3ds.hacks.guide/formatting-sd-(windows).html

I see what you mean, it's like they expect you to be a rocket surgeon or something!!! What kinda nerd could ever figure this out!??!?!

Did this and so far it seems to have worked, thanks bud.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

endlessmonotony posted:

You were the one without any homebrew weren't you though?

Which means it's, what, GBA titles that break in visible ways, and the remaining issues manifest as weird jitter?

The partition issues happen with emunand, and that formatter shouldn't create any alignment issues without partition issues (don't quote me on that, as far as I'm concerned it's yet another weird internet download people are going "trust me bro" about). And it boots and accesses the SD card, which wouldn't happen with every other problem on the list. It's not like the situation involves Chain of Memories.

Haven't done any homebrew yet, no. Was hoping a larger SD card would be a gateway into that field :v:

VV It's only 64 GB

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was thinking of booting up Bravely Default again and finishing it. I checked out at the Fire Temple boss. But I started up and I had NO idea how to play anymore. Like what's going on, what're all these jobs, how they work, anything. I don't want to restart, but is there like a crash course or am I just going to have to trade it in?

You can Brave which lets you take an extra action in a given turn at the cost of losing your next action, and Default which has you defend that turn but you stock an extra action for a later turn. The more technical encounters involve figuring out when to Brave and Default based on what the enemy does. Other than that you're mostly just playing a job-centric Final Fantasy a la 3 and 5. There's some mechanic where each character's Limit Break is based on their equipped weapon but with a little room for customization, but I don't quite remember it.

I'm in a similar boat where I've been playing a couple of hours every six months and I'm still somewhat early. After all of that hemming and hawing over what to buy as the eShop shuts down, I am just playing Virtual Console junk that I probably could have gotten by hacking my console :goleft: