Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let that person fight with whoever names game updates for Arc System Works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Augus posted:

I heard reviewers say Samus Returns was about 12 hours long the first time through but reviewers are bad at video games so idk

The original version was, mainly because you didn't have a map and there was one section of the game where you'd just get hopelessly lost.

gently caress YOU SMALL PLATFORM SECTION WITH YOUR CREEPY MINIMALIST MUSIC

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 12, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know for certain if this applies to the Ultra versions, but:
- After the fire trial on the second island you will unlock the Charizard ride (replaces HM Fly) and Poke Pelago. I suggest sticking to the main story until you have those, because they are both great.
- You can prevent SOS battles (wild Pokemon calling others to aid them in fights) by afflicting Pokemon with a status effect. They won't cry for help as long as the status effect is active.
- You don't need to use Pokemon Refresh if you don't want to. If you ever do need to raise a Pokemon's affection you can simply feed them 3-4 Rainbow Beans and be done with it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

So you constantly have to take out the oldest Pokemon if you want to keep the SOS chain going? That makes sense, but it might make chaining for certain Hidden Abilities really hard (here's looking at you Dewpider).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

^^ that's great

Zore posted:

why would you ever even want a Water Absorb Dewpider? :psyduck:

Because you can!
(back when the Beast Ball spreadsheet in the Pokemon thread was going on I made an effort to catch an Araquanid* in a Beast Ball. I decided to go the extra mile and give it the HA as well)
((*Dewpider knows Spider Web so it was more convenient to chain its more leveled brethren))

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I have not played Strange Journey, but I have been shown a map for one specific floor and it was a doozy. No one floor should have that much teleports.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That could have been a modern take on Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. I am disappointed that didn’t happen.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Back in the day I think I had a bootleg copy of RoboCop 2 for the Game Boy. For some reason the Nintendo logo at the start fell down after it beeped.

Which means it didn’t work with the Game Genie and I could never beat ED209 the third time :argh:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The only reason I even remember the franchise is because the Dutch dub of the cartoon gave most of the Yokai Belgium VOs. It is fantastic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

nerd_of_prey posted:

Hi, I gave my niece a copy of Pokemon sun and wanted to give her some good Pokemon from my copy of moon, I completed the game years ago and have complete forgot the controls! How do I fast travel? Where is the day care place? Does wonder trade still work or is internet not supported on this game anymore. Let me know!

- Using Charizard. I believe the Pokeride button is Y? You can pick specific rides and bind them to the dpad.
- Island #2, Akala Island. The Paniola Ranch.
- Yes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Was there even any touchscreen stuff other than just drawing the seals at the end of boss fights

You needed your stylus to remove iceblocks. And your profile name was whatever you scribbled in a rectangular bar.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

For one thing, it was the first entry that ever came to Europe, IIRC.

Yes. We had Final Fantasy Adventure (really the first Mana game) which was released as Mystic Quest. And Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was released as Mystic Quest Legend.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 5, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Pretty sad to see about the 3DS.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black on the DS (still got my copy somewhere). If I wanted to try the series again, which 3DS game should I bother with?

I liked Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon more than the more recent Sword/Shield.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I only played the first DKL game and it definitely struggled a bit because the Game Boy offers a limited resolution with less screen space compared to the SNES.

It doesn't help that these bastard devs made an area with several levels taking place in the clouds where you have to do randomly roll of places to find barrels for bonus levels. I never 100%ed that yellow cartridge :argh:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 16, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Are there (decent) games that make use of the outer cameras? I'm considering getting a New 2DS XL as an upgrade for an old 2DS, now that I'm actually using the latter. I'm looking at a secondhand model with a decent price, but the outer cameras are noted to be "blurry".

I doubt I'll be snapping pics with it, but it's a shame if it might negatively effect something I end up playing. With my old 2DS I doubt I ever used the outer cameras for anything tho, not even those augmented reality cards.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 23, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

You capture new units/party members in the Denpa Men RPGs using the outer cameras. Can't really think of too many other games.

Looking at some game play footage it's like Pokemon Go where it puts 3D characters in the world? Then unless it actively scans the environment for certain details, it wouldn't matter if the cameras are terrible :v:

But it doesn't matter in general anymore, because somebody else bought that specific New 2DS XL while I was still contemplating it. I just settled for paying more for one in better condition. I'll miss those individually colored face buttons (Euro SNES nostalgia!) on my Pokemon Sun/Moon themed old 2DS, but I'm sure the bigger screens will make up for it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 24, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can do a system transfer every 7 days. I did one today and it reminded me of that a couple of times.

One of the reasons I didn't get a New 3DS XL was because my right eye can become a bit teary after 45 minutes of play with a handheld. I imagine that's going to be even worse with 3D.

And I don't mind that the New 2DS XL has a worse speaker placement. Years of the GBA and the DS have conditioned me to lackluster audio!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My notes from when I recently started shopping for a bigger card:
- up to 32gb is "officially supported"
- higher than 32gb it will need proper formatting (FAT32/32k cluster) with some third-party software
- the 3DS has a limit of 300 icons on the home screen (includes badges, folders don't help?)
- going higher than 128gb is probably overkill

I guess it also depends on which 3DS model you have and what you need to do to physically access the (micro)SD card.
Edit: apparently 2 TB is the limit for a FAT32 partition size, so have fun dropping the cash for a microSD of that size and trying it out! please don't

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 1, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's nice to know that Atlus does remember that the EU eShop is a thing. Picked up Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 for 5 bucks. Who knows, unlike the original on DS, I might finish it this time!

(They've got a handful of titles on sale until the 8th of May).

Looking at the options I noticed auto-mapping the floor and walls is a thing now. On one hand that's nice if you're not in the mood for some bottom screen slitherlink, but I imagine it does remove some charm from the game not to draw the map yourself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It is part of Atlus' eShop sale that ends tomorrow. At least in Europe.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

"As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023."

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-%26-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q%26a

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

KingSlime posted:

SMT Strange Journey Redux trip report: wow, this is such a unique and fresh entry for me after SMT III, IV, V, and Persona 3-5! I am barely in the second sector so I may regret saying this but I love how involved and drawn out the dungeons can be. I never know what to expect in each expedition, will I pop in and out and make steady progress? Will I go down a rabbit hole and clear over half a dungeon in a single sitting? Is there gonna be any side missions or plot points that lock me in weird random parts of the map??! I genuinely never loving know and this suspense along with the usual demon Pokemon gameplay is addicting as hell.

Give us an update when you're at sector Eridanus!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Assuming you use custom firmware:
I don't know about save back-ups, but I used faketik when I did a system transfer to recognize titles on the microSD that had been installed but didn't show up.

https://github.com/ihaveamac/faketik/releases/tag/v1.1.2

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 30, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You will still be able to download games you own from the eShop in the future, right? Doesn't that also apply to free stuff like demos and Pokemon Picross (an exploitable game) if you downloaded them once? Unless they somehow pull it because the microtransactions can no longer work.

If you're doing a system transfer you don't need to re-do the steps for homebrew that involve using your friend code and those two sites either. You can use your previous moveable sed file and the Pokemon Picross save again, assuming you backed those up and are still using the same NNID.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 2, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

There were lots of people with a DS and I imagine the cost of developing games for it were low. That has to be the explanation for the sheer amount of (physical!) releases, most of which you wouldn't even consider spending a second on. There were like 3 titles based on a quiz show from my small country alone. I wish I knew the details of how many units they ended up selling and what was the development cost/break-even point for those games.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I saw this video earlier today with footage of every released DS games. There was almost 4000 games released and randomly clicking on the timelines has like a 90% of getting you the most lovely shovelware you've never heard of before.
In terms of ratio of good to abysmal garbage games, I guess only the Wii comes close.

(video)

Thanks for posting this. I've been watching this for several minutes each day and it's been amazing so far. Collections of books, jigsaw puzzles, visual novels/dating games, hidden object games, travel guides, stuff obviously inspired by Brain Age, mini game collections, board game collections, a lot of games inspired by Nintendogs, even more games about horses, driving license trainers, a lifetime of match3 games, a surprising amount of rhythm games, cookbooks and games about preparing food, games to help with math and language (especially Japanese titles to learn English), carts that simply repackage multiple DS titles... and all the typical games you'd expect from the GBA era onward on your handheld. It really was the period before tablets and app stores, where a whole lot of PC/Flash creators probably started churning out stuff for the DS.

And I'm just at "D" so far! I had a good laugh just now, because this Japanese novel combo (not even the visual kind) that deals with UFOs had music that sounded somewhat... familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MENS_6GJlHg&t=7802s
(should link to 2:10:02)

Edit: 5 different Evangelion pachi-slot games!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 18, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Just an ordinary "healing" rod.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yup, Fantasy Life is pretty much doing the same kinds of mini-games over and over again. It's weirdly enthralling but I would love something more in-depth without straight up becoming Animal Crossing. Like I never cared much about the house decoration, I just used the houses for fast travel.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a functional emulator for 3ds on the steam deck? Well, just in general? I thought 3ds hadn't been emulated yet.

No idea how or how good, but I remember this tweet:
https://twitter.com/RetrogradeTom/status/1511887987059138563

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I randomly checked my local EU edition of the 3DS eShop to see if Toki Tori was on sale once more, only to rejoice at the sight of Atlus titles again. The Picross e titles are discounted as well for a few more days. Time to spend my last tenner, since I doubt I'll ever want to those funds for shopping on a Switch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

very hard to obtain*

*for player characters with a lawful good alignment

C-Euro posted:

Yes I still need to hack my 3DS. I'll get there eventually!

The most convenient method involves using the free-to-play Pokemon Picross. I don't think it stops functioning when the 3DS eShop shuts down, but you should definitely consider downloading it from there and setting it up ASAP.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 1, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah that game rules, I thought I had heard that it was an easy in-road for hacking.

I still have a little money left on this thing for whatever reason, but at this point I have so much to play that I'll probably just see if anything I already own has DLC that I never picked up. :files:ing whole games can wait until I've actually booted up everything I own at least once, which has been a fun recent weekend project.

I might get Retro Rampage DX this week myself to clear out most of my remaining credit, elder gods know when I'll actually play it!

I spend most of the remainder during one of the times Atlas had games on sale, loading up on Etrian Odysseys. I like playing those just before I go to bed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, some of these AA memes are definitely out of reach, I need a stepladder to get to them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I assume there are still demos for the Monster Hunter games on the eShop. Even for such a low sale price I would still recommend you try out a demo to see if you can handle the controls.

Because they're garbage. C'mon handheld MH fans, you know they are, you bunch of contortionists with Stockholm syndrome!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The cloud region in the first DKL sucked, because there were a couple blind jumps/rolls to find bonus rooms. I could never 100% that game because of it.

I think DKC has those as well, but it is worse in Land because you've got less screenspace to play with.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If you want a more guided experience I'd go with Etrian Odyssey II Untold since it has Story Mode with named characters who interact with each other.

If you don't care that you've got a guild of random bozos where you have to make all the class choices then I'd say go with Etrian Odyssey IV, since I've heard from series fans that pretty much any combination will make it to the end (ignoring the post-game) and that it is way more forgiving than the DS games ever were.

I think you need to dig the Persona games and their characters or else the Persona Q games are going to annoy you with their characters who are constantly interrupting your dungeon crawling.

The Devil Survivor games are tactical RPGs, so they vary from all the other games..

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think the only thing that has not been preserved are specific updates for a couple of games, none of them the kind that would end up on Top 50 Best 3DS Games lists.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

People on these forums love Fantasy Life and I've played it myself for 50+ hours. Still, I think it's too shallow in some parts and allround very repetitive. I spend a lot of the DLC wondering why I was still playing it!

If you're unfamiliar with EO, IV is seen as the most beginner friendly but Untold 2 offers more quality of life changes/additions. Don't feel the need to start with a remake of the first game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Goons practicing piracy. DO A FILEZ TRANSFER!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The more accessible micro SD slot on the New 2DS is barely a selling point if you are going to run homebrew on it (and I can't imagine why you would not). Running a FTP tool via wi-fi is slow, but it means you won't need to bring out a screwdriver.

The battery on the New 2DS is harder to replace than the other models. I love my New 2DS, but that would be a reason I would not recommend it to anyone getting a(nother) 3DS at this point if you aren't tech savvy (I definitely am not).

I'm just glad they used the same kind of battery for the Pro controller, so it hasn't become harder to find online.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 4, 2023