Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

Picked up the CD release of this non-assuming recording from the late 80's, in the late 90's, while in queue in a goddamned grocery store.
I might have been about.. 13. Yes mom paid for it but I chose this thing for NO discernible reason. I had no
musical preferences yet. I'm very glad i did. The album might have been popular at release, but I was immediately out of the Pop-Music scene.
The fact that noone else seemed to care much for my discovery cemented the fact that everyone else's musical tastes was Wrong and Bad.
15 yrs later I still get past blasted remembering it.

NO SLEEP TILL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
not bullshitting, it was Creed

after that, it was "Fuel"

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
My first cd was Killer Cuts that came packaged with Killer Instinct for SNES. I have no regrets.

My first bought cd was Jamiroquai, Traveling Without Moving. I still love it. The man was before his time.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I bought two CDs when I got my first CD player in 1989, Led Zeppelin IV and Dark Side of The Moon. They even came in those stupid long boxes too. But the first record that I ever picked out for myself was Prince's 1999 (on cassette) back in 1982. I was a huge Prince fan when I was a kid, and to this day I have no idea why my mother thought it was appropriate in any way to let me listen to Prince. She even took me to see "Purple Rain" in the theater, which made me the toast of the 4th grade for like a week after the other kids found out I got to see an R rated movie with boobs in it.

Leper Go-getter posted:

The album might have been popular at release, but I was immediately out of the Pop-Music scene.

I don't think that record ever slipped out of the music scene, it sold 9 million copies over 15 years. I can't think of one person I knew growing up that didn't think License to Ill was awesome.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 15, 2015

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

and

:rock:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
No regrets

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Oh man, I never owned this one myself but my dad absolutely loving loved it and played it so much that I still know just about every lyric by heart. It really is a great record.

opus111 posted:

also this thread is gonna make me feel old. people growing up with mp3s and stuff. Wild!!!

A couple of people have posted records that I actually worked on. Now that makes a person feel old as balls.

Nor should there be. That record was hot poo poo when it came out. I mean, if you just bought it like last year or something then you should probably feel some shame but there's nothing wrong with liking pop music when you're a kid.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 15, 2015

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

Hey gorillaz buddy! this was also mine

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nine inch nails, with teeth from Suncoast when it was still around. I haven't listened to it since. That was a pretty boring album compared to the rest of the disco.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rammstein - Herzeleid.

I still listen to Rammstein a bit, but that album (their first) does not have many good songs on it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I bought two CDs the first time my parents took me to the store.

11 year old me had great taste in music.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Godzilla soundtrack.

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

The first three CDs I bought using my allowance money were:

and

Two out of three ain't bad.

President Kucinich posted:

Missy Elliotts Supa Dupa Fly.

A legit good record.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My parents raised me on classic rock, and the first proper album I was given for Christmas was Best of Bowie 1969/1974.

Age 12, buying my first CD, how did I repay them for these years of great music?

:( I played this for 6 months straight and thought it was the best thing ever recorded.

...I got better, I swear.

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.
oh christ, i was a bit repressed, old school christian family and all. No excuses, here they are, I remember them vividly and loved em both:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Eiffel 65- Europop

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

(tape)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

same

:smith:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My first cassette was metallicas master of puppets I bought at a kats music in like 1990. The first cd was probably sir mix a lot. I have eclectic tastes

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Iron Prince posted:

eiffel 65 - europop

JUST WOW. CLOSE THREAD.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
First album: (I was 12 when "We're not gonna take it" came out. )

When I finally switched to buying CDs, I bought 10 or 20 at a time, mostly getting decent copies of stuff that I only had on cassette tape from friend's vinyl records. The first "new" CDs would be Frizzle Fry by Primus and the Mr Bungle self titled, which just shows how late I was to change over to CDs.

The last CD I bought was the entire back catalogue of Gogol Bordello around 2001, I found them via audiogalaxy, but then the RIAA sued audiogalaxy into oblivion, and I swore to never give money to a record label again.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
First two CDs (bought together at the same time in summer of '86):
AC/DC, Who Made Who
Judas Priest, Turbo

First vinyl (that I bought myself and wasn't a gift)
Def Leppard, Pyromania

First prerecorded cassette:
Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 15, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Pretty sure it was GnR Use Your Illusion 2 and, yeah, I'll still listen to that album form time to time.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Still p.good imo.

:agreed:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Savage Garden - their first one, self titled - pretty sure I played that non stop for about three years, every day before and after school and sometimes during when I dubbed it onto a tape and took the walk man to school, then the discman. I'm pretty sure I only pretended to like their follow up "Affirmation" :sigh:

Then my little brain was loving broken by Orgy's cover of Blue Monday and I played Orgy's Candyass over and over again in a similar fashion. I enjoyed Vapor Transmission (they peaked at "Fiction (Dreams in Digital)" but their third album "Punk Statik Paranoia" was garbage that I paid top import price in Australia for.

The last album I paid cash money for was Tonight: Franz Ferdinand because I'd liked their previous efforts and was rather disappointed by it.

The only album I've bought digitally was "Love" by King Dude - who owns.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
First CD was Dangerous in 91

And also some kind of hard rock compilation named "Metal Machine" whose most shredding title was Winds of change by Scorpions, needless to tell 11 year old me was kind of disappointed.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

lol

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Dat Flea bass.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I got "Rag-Na-RoK" and "Carnival of Chaos" by GWAR and have been awash in feminine affections ever since.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
My first cassette was Eazy duz it. My first cd was Eazy duz it.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

So how many of these things still actually play all the way through?

My 1st was ? Ry Cooders "Paris, Texas" ...hasn't played properly since the turn of the century.

CDs as a platform are almost as bad as cassettes, longevity-wise.

The industry deserved to be hosed into the ground by :filez:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

tardwrangler posted:

My 1st was ? Ry Cooders "Paris, Texas" ...hasn't played properly since the turn of the century.

this is so true.

few things made me happier than the death of overpriced cds.

i remember a time when a cd, even an old one, was $25. gently caress you record companies.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

First two albums I ever owned were on cassette that I bought with my own allowance money, and those were Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill, and Michael Jackson - BAD back in 1987. However, the very first piece of music I could call my own was a cassingle of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" in 1986.

Yep, 7 year old me had a cassingle with a song about dicks and loving.

First CD I bought was Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle in 1993, which is also the year I finally upgraded to a CD player.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

tardwrangler posted:

[sic]

As far as I know, they all play fine. I nearly wore Carnival of Chaos out, and had to use a 90's pink paste to fill in the scratches, which seemed to work until I went digital with my music.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

tardwrangler posted:

I dunno, my first ever CD doesn't play well but it's pretty scratched up because I was a stupid kid. I've got other stuff I've had for up to about 20 years that is still fine. Though I agree the industry did deserve to get hosed with the rampant price fixing, stupid loving retailer exclusive tracks, suing fans for trillions of dollars (lol), poo poo like Sony's rootkit fiasco, various attempts to make it illegal to rip something you'd purchased to MP3 so you could use it on your iPod etc.

I think the only thing worse than the music industry is the movie industry, since they decide to put up to 10 minutes of unskippable adverts, trailers and videos calling me a thief "you wouldn't steal a car, would you?" when I legitimately purchase something at a hugely over-inflated price since I don't live in America when I could just get a 1080p torrent with none of that bullshit for free in less time than it takes to walk to the shop and buy it.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Robokomodo posted:

My first cassette was Eazy duz it. My first cd was Eazy duz it.

I didn't have a lot of stuff on CD AND Tape, but this was one of them.

I think I bought Dark Side of the Moon on CD 3 times, Division Bell twice, Animals twice and License to Ill twice.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
First Cassettes, bought at the same time:

First CD:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missus Dill
May 8, 2007

Creature posted:

My parents raised me on classic rock, and the first proper album I was given for Christmas was Best of Bowie 1969/1974.

Age 12, buying my first CD, how did I repay them for these years of great music?

:( I played this for 6 months straight and thought it was the best thing ever recorded.

...I got better, I swear.

Oh god, me too. Granted, I was a 10-year-old girl at the time. I also remember lending it to one of my friends and never getting it back.

• Locked thread