Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

It's true, I am STAR TREK IV, SCUM GOON

I am V'ger. I know everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mills posted:

wait a second

are you the guy pinterest mom said everyone always votes d1 in SMT
That was probably epsilon plus actually. He was mislynched d1 like six games in a row or something ridiculous.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

Rascyc posted:

Hello I have the calvinball what do I do with it?

Jump off the bridge it's the only option.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Rascyc posted:

That was probably epsilon plus actually. He was mislynched d1 like six games in a row or something ridiculous.

I get voted a lot day 1. I never get killed day 1, except for that time capps dayvigged me.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Hello I have the calvinball what do I do with it?

bold tag pound sign pound sign steal calvinball slash bold tag

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Eight Dollars posted:

Jump off the bridge it's the only option.

hehe that was the best

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

wall monitor posted:

bold tag pound sign pound sign steal calvinball slash bold tag

OBJECTION!

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Grandicap posted:

OBJECTION!

But you're not in the objection zone

Wait, wait, I'm not in the complaining about not being in the objection zone

Clearly there is one course of action

##vote wall monitor

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

I am V'ger. I know everything.

I am so sad that generic sci-fi movie #978 was just moved into the Star Trek: The Motion Picture, it could have soured the whole thing. It didn't but a start like that, is something that can be hard to recover from.
Also it was a bad movie.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

wall monitor posted:

But you're not in the objection zone

Wait, wait, I'm not in the complaining about not being in the objection zone

Clearly there is one course of action

##vote wall monitor

idk this post is pinging town

I think we should trust this wall monitor person guys

##unvote

##vote 100 years

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I agree, this wall monitor fella seems entirely above board. Towniest town on this ship if you ask me. A real straight sailor.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mills posted:

No one except Lumpen commented on my vote so I'm going back to Byers' game. Let's not make a habit of being lurkers and non-content posters in this game. Thanks. :angel:

But I did. Right here:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You two are just slap-fighting over nothing. While you can vote Exact just because their not funny, doesn't make the vote sound. I don't think they've been awkward at all either. I'm of the opinion that any scum would just sit tight this early on rather than risk rocking the whale-ship.

And due to this comment Wall monitor voted for me.

wall monitor posted:

idk this post is pinging town

I think we should trust this wall monitor person guys

##unvote

##vote 100 years

Glad to see you living it up. :hfive:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think you misunderstood my vote if you think it was because he's not funny.

I'm not feeling particularly engaged tonight and deadline is days away so I will revisit tomorrow.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mills posted:

emphasis mine

reads like a joke

reads like you are announcing your vote is serious

please elaborate

Here when you say that Exakt first wrote up a joke and then say that he attempts to be serious. I don't think you voted him on the basis of whether or not it was a joke vote. I read the whole thing as a joke vote whereas you took them seriously at the end. I think you ended up taking them seriously since Exakt didn't quite manage to lay out the humor as well as they could've. For me the fault is found in his set-up. Now you may see that as problematic in itself but I don't see it being any more than just poorly phrased humor, coming from a player who writes awkwardly on a regular basis.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
hello, I put this on the back-burner cos of, well it was laziness mostly tbh, my apologies! Still plenty of time to make up for it:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You two are just slap-fighting over nothing. While you can vote Exact just because their not funny, doesn't make the vote sound. I don't think they've been awkward at all either. I'm of the opinion that any scum would just sit tight this early on rather than risk rocking the whale-ship.

I agree with wall monitor that this post kinda sucks. A voice of reason commentary on the argument based on a categorically false premise of scum having standardised behaviour patterns, seems like it's trying to appear agreeable without adding much and almost verges on being anti-scumhunting with their "conventional wisdom" of scum not gonna be doing anything (so you can't find scum).

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I will try as much as I can to emulate lumpen's e-prime thing seeing how much of an amusing challenge it seems. Also maybe it'll help me clear up the way I type, which as most of you know, often meanders about. I won't be as strict about it though.

Take my comments as you will, in my defense I just weighed in on the votes that they had cast using my what little experience I have. I don't think we should go back to joke-voting or play less seriously, but they just struck me as so earnest that I felt they jumped the gun.

Gosh, how does Lumpen do this e-prime stuff constantly? Took me about 6 minutes just to type this post and eliminate the 'to be's'.

Not a fan of this post much either, "I will now adopt a conceit that alters the way I communicate, which is in no way a pointless diversion from what I have to say". What they say is kinda apologetic and wishy-washy too. I would probably be ok with voting 100yrs today.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Puntification posted:

hello, I put this on the back-burner cos of, well it was laziness mostly tbh, my apologies! Still plenty of time to make up for it:

I agree with wall monitor that this post kinda sucks. A voice of reason commentary on the argument based on a categorically false premise of scum having standardised behaviour patterns, seems like it's trying to appear agreeable without adding much and almost verges on being anti-scumhunting with their "conventional wisdom" of scum not gonna be doing anything (so you can't find scum).

Not a fan of this post much either, "I will now adopt a conceit that alters the way I communicate, which is in no way a pointless diversion from what I have to say". What they say is kinda apologetic and wishy-washy too. I would probably be ok with voting 100yrs today.

Hi! Glad to see you posting. I'd like to see more of it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

wall monitor posted:

Hi! Glad to see you posting. I'd like to see more of it.

This is a bad post. Wall Monitor, you have lost your status as a "real straight sailor", you can now tack and stuff, which while makes a boat able to travel into the wind, but allso allows plausibly shifty intentions... I think this metaphor has been stretched too thin.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Grandicap posted:

I am so sad that generic sci-fi movie #978 was just moved into the Star Trek: The Motion Picture, it could have soured the whole thing. It didn't but a start like that, is something that can be hard to recover from.
Also it was a bad movie.

At least they got the next one right (but it really didn't need a pseudo-remake).

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Here when you say that Exakt first wrote up a joke and then say that he attempts to be serious. I don't think you voted him on the basis of whether or not it was a joke vote. I read the whole thing as a joke vote whereas you took them seriously at the end. I think you ended up taking them seriously since Exakt didn't quite manage to lay out the humor as well as they could've. For me the fault is found in his set-up. Now you may see that as problematic in itself but I don't see it being any more than just poorly phrased humor, coming from a player who writes awkwardly on a regular basis.

I agree with this, and think it is a case where it is hard to read tone in a post where Exact was being half-serious with a really early vote.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Grandicap posted:

This is a bad post. Wall Monitor, you have lost your status as a "real straight sailor", you can now tack and stuff, which while makes a boat able to travel into the wind, but allso allows plausibly shifty intentions... I think this metaphor has been stretched too thin.

Kay, lemme rephrase and elaborate.

Punt, you've made one post, and it's one where he's agreeing with me. While I'm happy that someone is agreeing with my opinions, I'm also suspicious because it's jumping on my read instead of coming up with something original. That strikes me as something a scum would try to do, since a manufactured read might get called out as manufactured and by jumping on someone else's opinion you can participate while still staying under the radar.

It's maybe a bit iffy at this point since there's only been one Punt post, which is why I wanted to hear more from him so we can get better reads.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I completely agree that agreeing with wall monitor and jumping on his reads instead of coming up with something original constitutes Scummy behavior. It strikes me, as well, as something a Scum would try to do since a manufactured read might come off as awkward, but that by jumping on someone else's opinion on can participate while still staying under the radar. That, combined with Puntification's extreme lurking, leads me to change my vote.

I do not feel even a bit iffy at this point since there's been only one Puntification post, and that sort of lurking matches well with my biased expectations of Scum behavior.
##Vote Puntification

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Well since I've been lurking, being the first to point something out is more difficult and that was the only particularly interesting thing I noticed. Lumpen's vote on me seems like an intellectually lazy excuse to vote someone rather than genuinely looking for scum so at the risk of eliciting an omgus response I'd say I wouldn't be surprised if he's scum as well, I prefer 100yrs over lumpen at this point though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

But Punt does bring up new points against me!

Puntification posted:

That said I don't agree with them. I think my comments speak for themselves in a direct manner to be honest. Nor do they apologize. They merely explain why I said what I said.

Last time I will bring this up but mentioning the e-prime stuff serves no purpose. It shouldn't have any bearing on anything or at the very least shouldn't be a big point of why you'd vote me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What is the eprime stuff?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Rascyc posted:

What is the eprime stuff?
I feel glad that you asked.
E-Prime (short for English-Prime, sometimes denoted É or E′), a prescriptive version of the English language, excludes all forms of the verb to be.
I encourage you to review my previous posts for more details.

This thread reminds me of the ol' Sargasso Sea; goes nowhere and full of poo poo.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But Punt does bring up new points against me!

That said I don't agree with them. I think my comments speak for themselves in a direct manner to be honest. Nor do they apologize. They merely explain why I said what I said.

Last time I will bring this up but mentioning the e-prime stuff serves no purpose. It shouldn't have any bearing on anything or at the very least shouldn't be a big point of why you'd vote me.

quote:

Take my comments as you will, in my defense I just weighed in on the votes that they had cast using my what little experience I have.

I think the phrases at the front are kinda of redundant platitudes that really don't serve much purpose and then you unnecessarily stress that your experience is little at the end, so it reads apologetic to me.

Lumpen posted:

This thread reminds me of the ol' Sargasso Sea; goes nowhere and full of poo poo.

Complaining about a game (especially on d1) is a tedious, tired cliche; you're a player in this game help make it less poo poo yourself.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lumpen posted:

I feel glad that you asked.
E-Prime (short for English-Prime, sometimes denoted É or E′), a prescriptive version of the English language, excludes all forms of the verb to be.
I encourage you to review my previous posts for more details.

Is he referencing that post though? If so I don't see what relevance it has either.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Puntification posted:

I think the phrases at the front are kinda of redundant platitudes...

I will work on this since I really do use redundant platitudes way too much.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Is he referencing that post though? If so I don't see what relevance it has either.

No I'm referring the fact that 100yrs took up the idea and started posting in that style, which I didn't feel actually made what they meant to say any clearer and was a pointless distraction.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I'd like to note the irony that neither of lumpen's votes are original; he votes exakt after mills' does and me after wm declares me suspicious.

Also I already called him on it but it bears repeating: complaining about this game instead of doing anything useful is a lovely unconstructive move especially from someone who's posted more about e-prime than the game. Lumpen is fast over-taking 100yrs as my favoured scum pick.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I will work on this since I really do use redundant platitudes way too much.

Should have gone with the unapologetic answer and told me to go gently caress myself, you'll write/speak how you like imo.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Puntification posted:

I'd like to note the irony that neither of lumpen's votes are original; he votes exakt after mills' does and me after wm declares me suspicious.

Also I already called him on it but it bears repeating: complaining about this game instead of doing anything useful is a lovely unconstructive move especially from someone who's posted more about e-prime than the game. Lumpen is fast over-taking 100yrs as my favoured scum pick.
Behold, a trial-balloon for an OMGUS.

Have you ever felt so defensive before in your whole life, Puntification?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I really don't want to get a vote on me, and considering that Puntification put so much tough pressure on me, I change the subject and take this opportunity to shift my focus off Puntification, who has posted their way out of the bottom of the stack.

I declare fiery_valkyrie the new biggest lurker and insist that she prove to me her innocence.

##vote fiery_valkyrie

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Puntification posted:

Should have gone with the unapologetic answer and told me to go gently caress myself, you'll write/speak how you like imo.

Whatever. The 'damned if you, damned if you don't' response to pretty much every action made in a mafia game led me to gradually stop playing for a long time previously. I doubt that if I had answered in any other manner, things would've played out differently. Like I told Wall Monitor earlier, 'do as you want', because while generating content for the thread this early on suits me just fine, I feel like we've exhausted the subject. I've either convinced you or I haven't.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

What are you trying to accomplish by throwing poo poo on whatever lurker, Lumpen? It doesn't feel like your typical scumhunting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lumpen posted:

I really don't want to get a vote on me
when has that ever stopped you

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

DuckHuntDog posted:

What are you trying to accomplish by throwing poo poo on whatever lurker, Lumpen? It doesn't feel like your typical scumhunting.

It doesn't? I feel like that is classic Lumpen!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Whatever. The 'damned if you, damned if you don't' response to pretty much every action made in a mafia game led me to gradually stop playing for a long time previously. I doubt that if I had answered in any other manner, things would've played out differently. Like I told Wall Monitor earlier, 'do as you want', because while generating content for the thread this early on suits me just fine, I feel like we've exhausted the subject. I've either convinced you or I haven't.

That last response wasn't really intended to be taken seriously.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

It doesn't? I feel like that is classic Lumpen!

Maybe it has been too long since I have played with him. I am used to him trying to solve a game before correcting behavior.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

Maybe it has been too long since I have played with him. I am used to him trying to solve a game before correcting behavior.

Not on day 1. He will drop ~~town feel~~ and stuff, but vote pressure on the lowest poster is a familar Lumpen face to me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I think Punt is scum.

Also, I think Lumpen might be trying to emulate his town self rather than be his town self. The difference is subtle but looking back at what DHD was saying I can see it. This is not enough to vote until I see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lumpen posted:

I really don't want to get a vote on me, and considering that Puntification put so much tough pressure on me, I change the subject and take this opportunity to shift my focus off Puntification, who has posted their way out of the bottom of the stack.

I declare fiery_valkyrie the new biggest lurker and insist that she prove to me her innocence.

##vote fiery_valkyrie

Can it wait? I'm interstate for work and don't really have time to post. I'll be back home tomorrow.

• Locked thread