Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fair enough but I still have a feeling about you I can't shake. Your cautiousness doesn't seem genuine but rather doctored, like you censored yourself or something. You brought up numerous times at the beginning how lurky/lazy your play was. And come back to it in this latest comment:

As if you wanted to prepare an already built in defense for whatever reason. Why would you keep bringing up the fact? I don't think you've been lazy. In fact you've been at the center of numerous discussions, you regularly comment on the game, and you answer questions when asked. We have much quieter players.

Another thing I've felt throughout the game is that you've been hypocritical but I didn't say anything because I couldn't figure out why. And here I found it. You criticized me earlier for apologizing yet your very first post apologized.

It all seems manufactured and insincere to me and I feel that town should stay as far away as possible from insincerity. This case feels the most comfortable to me. I feel like your tone is unreliable in your posts and while Grandicap has a more strictly speaking blatant post we can't call that post a 'gotcha' post at all.

##vote Puntification

I apologised for being too lazy to post for the first couple of days of the game - this I think we can all agree is a bad thing, it warrants an apology that was me being polite.
The second time was in response to being called a lurker so doesn't make sense for me to deny or ignore it.
I claimed lethargy was making me less aggressive, not that it was making me post less, I was describing my mood not my level of activity.

I don't think players should be apologetic when putting forward their opinions on the game, it's a totally different thing to apologising for doing something wrong, like not playing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lumpen posted:

Grandi and Punt have each postured suspicion on each other, I am curious whether either of them will pony up a vote on it, but I frankly doubt it. The way they've interacted, and the structure of those posts, indicate Scumbuddy Distancing.

I want you dead more than someone who's ill and not really playing, I'll switch my vote if I can't convince people but I'm not gonna get off you before then.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Puntification posted:

I want you dead more than someone who's ill and not really playing, I'll switch my vote if I can't convince people but I'm not gonna get off you before then.
I expect you would only hop on the lynch of one of your Scumbuddies if it appears inevitable, if even then.

Did you put forward any case on me, or only express a vague desire for my death? From your posts I can find only self-aware, hesitant OMGUS. I invite you to restate your case, preferably in 3-bullet-point format. Since, as you said, you supposedly desire to convince people.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Ernie, you posted in the general discussion thread but you remain the lowest poster here besides f_v. I feel curious about your thoughts if you have any new ones.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

Ernie, you posted in the general discussion thread but you remain the lowest poster here besides f_v. I feel curious about your thoughts if you have any new ones.

I've actually resigned to taking a back seat today and waiting for Day 2 to see how people react. I am fairly confident in my DHD case, less confident in my Punt case, but feel not too strongly about either one.

I know I don't want to cuddle you or grandicap at least for today, because both of those options feel like crapshoots.

I know this sucks because I'm usually loud and obnoxious but this game is just really thick for me to wade through right now and there's not a lot of actual agenda pushing yet.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lumpen posted:

I expect you would only hop on the lynch of one of your Scumbuddies if it appears inevitable, if even then.

Did you put forward any case on me, or only express a vague desire for my death? From your posts I can find only self-aware, hesitant OMGUS. I invite you to restate your case, preferably in 3-bullet-point format. Since, as you said, you supposedly desire to convince people.

If you insist, gather round maladies and gentleworms as Puntification theater presents Lumpen, Portrait of a scum:
Let's look at his first two votes:

Lumpen posted:

EXAKT is spazzing out and Mills is right to note:

The post Mills pinged on strikes me as a Scumpost too. And then the OMGUS vote on Mills.
##Vote EXAKT Science

EXAKT has a history of awkward posting in the 2 other games I've been in with him, but in one of them he was Scum and in the other I don't know yet, so that meta hasn't been fleshed out. I'll continue observing.
Does exactly what he'll accuse me of doing in his confirmation post.

Lumpen posted:

I completely agree that agreeing with wall monitor and jumping on his reads instead of coming up with something original constitutes Scummy behavior. It strikes me, as well, as something a Scum would try to do since a manufactured read might come off as awkward, but that by jumping on someone else's opinion on can participate while still staying under the radar. That, combined with Puntification's extreme lurking, leads me to change my vote.

I do not feel even a bit iffy at this point since there's been only one Puntification post, and that sort of lurking matches well with my biased expectations of Scum behavior.
##Vote Puntification
He then me toos his accusation on me, with no hint of irony and look at him talking about it matching his expectations: it's an implicit admission he's being intellectually lazy. This is a rationalisation for voting someone not an attempt to find scum.

Lumpen posted:

This thread reminds me of the ol' Sargasso Sea; goes nowhere and full of poo poo.
People in games bitching about games are the worst, he does it repeatedly, white noise and totally unconstructive.

Lumpen posted:

Behold, a trial-balloon for an OMGUS.

Have you ever felt so defensive before in your whole life, Puntification?
Predicted omgus dismissal, him having ignored the first post where it would have been more appropriate, and an intelligence-insulting leading question: disingenuous and intentionally aggravating, it's interesting how he complains about the game being slow but doesn't engage genuinely with other players. By interesting I mean scummy fyi.

Lumpen posted:

I really don't want to get a vote on me, and considering that Puntification put so much tough pressure on me, I change the subject and take this opportunity to shift my focus off Puntification, who has posted their way out of the bottom of the stack.

I declare fiery_valkyrie the new biggest lurker and insist that she prove to me her innocence.

##vote fiery_valkyrie
So insincere, and then backseat-modding with his vote instead of scum hunting, it calls into further question his motivations for his previous votes imo.

Lumpen posted:

Not particularly, I just find her at the bottom of the postcount still.
Outright admission he's not scumhunting.

Lumpen posted:

If Punt, DHD, and Grandi all flip Scum, it will not surprise me.

Everyone please post more.
We three all have calling into question lumpen's alignment in common; he's seriously suggesting that what might be the whole scum in this game felt the need to round on one player? Let's say he's correct and we're all scum why would we co-ordinate an attack in-thread and link ourselves together, if we were worried about him we can NK him. Doesn't make sense in the slightest, he's not scumhunting he's mudslinging on people who have badmouthed him.

I'm off to meet some friends will be back later, kill lumpen, he's scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I would maybe puppy cuddle TT because it feels like he's more interested in staying out of the conversation than adding to it, but even that is a stab in the dark.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Puntification posted:

If you insist, gather round maladies and gentleworms as Puntification theater presents Lumpen, Portrait of a scum:
:words:
Ah, yes, I feel nearly convinced, but surely you can say more.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Lumpen, I never really liked you.

I'm sorry, I hope we can still be friends enemies friends

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

wall monitor posted:

Lumpen, I never really liked you.

I'm sorry, I hope we can still be friends enemies friends
One day you will welcome the Lumpen into your heart. :lumpen:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Puntification posted:

If you insist, gather round maladies and gentleworms as Puntification theater presents Lumpen, Portrait of a Lumpen:

Outright admission he's not scumhunting.

he's mudslinging on people who have badmouthed him.

I don't think Lumpen has played as scum but rather as a Lumpen. The only thing he has done that comes off as scummy is pushing FV, but I figured he did that because no one came off as particularly scummy at the time?

Lumpen posted:

Don't do that. Who cares where else he's posted? It has nothing to do with what happens here.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Puntification posted:

I apologised for being too lazy to post for the first couple of days of the game - this I think we can all agree is a bad thing, it warrants an apology that was me being polite.
The second time was in response to being called a lurker so doesn't make sense for me to deny or ignore it.
I claimed lethargy was making me less aggressive, not that it was making me post less, I was describing my mood not my level of activity.

I don't think players should be apologetic when putting forward their opinions on the game, it's a totally different thing to apologising for doing something wrong, like not playing at all.

Politeness is fine and all but your late entry to the game seems just like the ones of many other players. None of them apologized except DHD who expressed regret from being sick at the time the game started.

I feel like we've hit an impasse again because try as I might I really can't help but shake that feeling that your posts are a bit fabricated. I believe you when you say you feel lethargic and all that but why be so forward about it in such a sterile way? It comes down to your tone for me I guess.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You have a smug baby lumpen

Cute tho!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lumpen posted:

Ah, yes, I feel nearly convinced, but surely you can say more.
Why not respond to his case directly?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Rascyc posted:

Why not respond to his case directly?
I don't acknowledge any validity to it. Why argue with a Scum? If you find something about it convincing, question me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
##vote lumpen

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's simple mafia courtesy. Read people's posts, respond to them if they are aimed at you. I don't find his case particularly compelling since it seems like a post by post case but why blast the guy to make content and then not read his content? That's just rude.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Lumpen (3): EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science, DuckHuntDog, Puntification, Rascyc
Grandicap (2): Rascyc, Eight Dollars, Lumpen, Rascyc
Puntification (2): Lumpen, Lumpen, Ernie., 100YrsofAttitude
EXAKT Science (1): Mills, Lumpen, Lumpen
Lynch No One! (1): Tremendous Taste
100YrsofAttitude (1): wall monitor, wall monitor, wall monitor
Mills (1): EXAKT Science
fiery_valkyrie (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
wall monitor (0): wall monitor, wall monitor
Tremendous Taste (0): EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science

Not Voting (3): fiery_valkyrie, Grandicap, Hal Incandenza

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 28th, 2015 at midnight EST -- that's in about 9 hours, 12 minutes.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Rascyc posted:

It's simple mafia courtesy. Read people's posts, respond to them if they are aimed at you. I don't find his case particularly compelling since it seems like a post by post case but why blast the guy to make content and then not read his content? That's just rude.
I read it, and like you, I found it uncompelling. I asked for a case attempt specifically to highlight the speciousness of the vote. I feel confident that a Scum casing me only makes them self look worse.

I disagree with you labeling my not engaging with those I consider Scum as "rude". It remains totally impossible and a waste of time to dissuade a Scum from an insincere "case" they falsely generated, because they don't believe themselves anyway. Looking at what Punt produced, I am additionally convinced that Punt argues in bad faith.

You evaluated the case yourself and found it unconvincing. Very good. So what motivates your vote? Even if you consider me a jerk, that never justifies lynching a Townie.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have no qualms voting off the rude personally.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
So we've got two people requesting replacements now for just a heads up - maybe Grandi and Fiery_Valk?

I still feel good with the Grandicap vote, and won't be around after 7 tonight, so let's discuss more stuff ya'll.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I want Grandi a bit more but he has flu immunity.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Eight Dollars posted:

So we've got two people requesting replacements now for just a heads up - maybe Grandi and Fiery_Valk?
Is this for sure or are you guessing? Haven't had time to read discussion thread today.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Yeah, Ixt said that's he's looking for at least one, possibly two replacements.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Feel better Grandi!

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Nobody seems to want to jump on 100 years. That's fine. I'd like if we could revisit him tomorrow, though.

In the absence of getting a mob going on 100 years, I'd be comfortable enough with a vote on ##vote Puntification.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Assuming Grandicap will be replaced, I will shift down the list.
##Vote Puntification

My top suspects remain Punt, DHD, and Grandicap.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Oh no :ohdear:

I agree 66% with Lumpen's list.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Politeness is fine and all but your late entry to the game seems just like the ones of many other players. None of them apologized except DHD who expressed regret from being sick at the time the game started.

I feel like we've hit an impasse again because try as I might I really can't help but shake that feeling that your posts are a bit fabricated. I believe you when you say you feel lethargic and all that but why be so forward about it in such a sterile way? It comes down to your tone for me I guess.

So you're arguing I should hold myself to a relative standard of being least lovely instead of not being poo poo to play with? You said earlier insincerity is anti-town, vote lumpen.

Lumpen posted:

I don't acknowledge any validity to it. Why argue with a Scum? If you find something about it convincing, question me.

He's certain I'm scum D1 pre-flip? Who has that level of certainty day loving 1? He's a loving fake and full of it. How meaningless is it to say you find the case against you unconvincing? He engages with none of the content. He should at least address the point that there's no logical sense in 3 scum going out of their way to railroad 1 dude when they can just NK the PoS.

Ernie. posted:

Oh no :ohdear:

I agree 66% with Lumpen's list.

This is the way you know your reads are garbage ernie.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't think Lumpen has played as scum but rather as a Lumpen.

This is what I was trying to say in my post that has gained a bit of pressure. I recall Lumpen playing like this before, voting on d1 lurkers as a form of pressure, but not to the exclusion of all else. I feel like he is playing like he thinks a town lumpen plays but does not have a ~~town mind~~. It is the difference between faking a read and making a read.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also, if people are giving me a day pass so that I can post and get back in post count contention, that is a noble thing.

But if you are Lumpen, and will just jump on me tomorrow, don't use my sickness as a reason to not vote me today.

As long as you don't look too closely at the Me<->Punt scumteam thing when I flip town and have that clear him or something.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Grandicap posted:

Also, if people are giving me a day pass so that I can post and get back in post count contention, that is a noble thing.

But if you are Lumpen, and will just jump on me tomorrow, don't use my sickness as a reason to not vote me today.

As long as you don't look too closely at the Me<->Punt scumteam thing when I flip town and have that clear him or something.

Better idea thunderdome me and lumpen. I am happy to die in order not to play with lumpen anymore, as long as you turbo him the next day if I lose.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Puntification posted:

So you're arguing I should hold myself to a relative standard of being least lovely instead of not being poo poo to play with? You said earlier insincerity is anti-town, vote lumpen.

Ras got it when he said he'd vote off the rude. I read Lumpen as sincere. The issue lays in the fact that he comes off like a massive dick, which seems to be the actual case. That does not mean scum however. At least not to me.

Grandicap posted:

This is what I was trying to say in my post that has gained a bit of pressure. I recall Lumpen playing like this before, voting on d1 lurkers as a form of pressure, but not to the exclusion of all else. I feel like he is playing like he thinks a town lumpen plays but does not have a ~~town mind~~. It is the difference between faking a read and making a read.

But he always comes off like such an abrasive jerk though right? Because I remember him like that and that memory is helping me from reading him as scummy.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But he always comes off like such an abrasive jerk though right? Because I remember him like that and that memory is helping me from reading him as scummy.

I always have an impression of him as Inspector Clouseau when he is town, but there seems to be some latent antagonism to him this game. That's just the impression I have.

Another thing I noticed:

Lumpen posted:

If Punt, DHD, and Grandi all flip Scum, it will not surprise me.

Everyone please post more.

Guess who were the only three who had said anything a bit negative about him up to that point?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DuckHuntDog posted:

Guess who were the only three who had said anything a bit negative about him up to that point?

As far as Grandicap is concerned several people have agreed on the oddness of his post and we've got several players with their own reasons to vote Puntification. Though I have no idea why he suspects you frankly.

I will go to sleep soon and I don't think I'll get up early to make deadline. I've got no qualms leaving my post on Punt. I'll stick around for about 20-30 minutes in case anyone has any questions about whatever.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm going to shoot someone tonight

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I'm probably only gonna be awake for an hour or so and gonna spend that playing computer games, I will check back before bed and claim if enough people like but I'm done more or less for the day at this point.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

DuckHuntDog posted:

This demonstrates a blatant disregard for the evidence of the thread, and I expect Townies will remember differently.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I really think Punt is town. How long do we have and who can I convince?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think he's town too. ~4 hrs.

• Locked thread