Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Zzulu posted:

all whites in america should be Euro-Americans

Euro-American is a pretty good term gonna use it instead of white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Charlize Theron is the greatest living African-American actress.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I think the reason we say african american for black people and not european american for white people is that white people can trace their family back to Charlemagne or some king, whereas it gets really uncomfortable real fast when a black dude does genealogy. so we just say "Lets just assume you were from the beautiful country of africa"

spacemang_spliff fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 16, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mr. Popo posted:

Why do they have to be African Americans?
Do they have duel citizenship with Nigeria or Lesotho or something?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

spacemang_spliff posted:

I think the reason we say african american for black people and not european american for white people is that white people can trace their family back to Charlemagne or some king, whereas it gets really uncomfortable real fast when a black dude does genealogy. so we just say "Lets just assume you were from the beautiful country of africa"

But there's Asian-Americans, too.

Euro-American makes a lot of sense and I hope it catches on.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

mr popo is a golliwog american

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

burritolingus posted:

But there's Asian-Americans, too.

yeah but that's just a way for thoughtful liberals to say "they all look the same"

like I'm pretty sure chinese and japanese culture are a little bit different and wouldn't want to be considered just two parts of this whole monolithic culture

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah but that's just a way for thoughtful liberals to say "they all look the same"

like I'm pretty sure chinese and japanese culture are a little bit different and wouldn't want to be considered just two parts of this whole monolithic culture

Euro-Americans just don't understand.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Ask a Liberal if Bobby Jindal is a "person of color" and watch dem face tun proppa red.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

there is no such thing as a british person

lol go ask a scotsman if he's british

They just voted themselves in to be british, so...

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Ask a Liberal if Bobby Jindal is a "person of color" and watch dem face tun proppa red.

He's a stupid jackass, no matter what color he is.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

rest of the world says black, americans are retarded when it comes to skin colour
Normal people around here say black, and this area is about as PC as it gets. It's just government, schools, and often but not always news agencies.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Why do you imagine that?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Isn't Elizabeth Warren a Native American?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

He's a stupid jackass, no matter what color he is.

Correct answer

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

opus111 posted:

They just voted themselves in to be british, so...

they voted to stay in the union yeah, but honestly "british" in not a nationality nor an identity. scotsmen, english, welsh, cornish and irish (some northern irish ppl have a real hard on for the union so they might actually identify more as british than irish? idk)

this is the truth ask ANYONE living in the british isles

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Northern Irish protestants are basically Scottish and the Scottish are basically English.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no one cares about the british,

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
if you like baseball you get to say negro whenever you want because of the Negro Leagues

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
or if you're spanish, since "negro" means black in spanish

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

Zzulu posted:

or if you're spanish, since "negro" means black in spanish

but if you speak spanish then you're not white anymore

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

but if you speak spanish then you're not white anymore

you have hurt the feelings of the spanish people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na9jKvrxlJ4

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Dyna Soar posted:

there is no such thing as a british person

lol go ask a scotsman if he's british

this is extremely retarded

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

RideTheSpiral posted:

this is extremely retarded

nah, it's just how it is. it's a union with many different countries, and ppl identify with those countries, not the union.

i mean they've got their own football leagues. well except for poor wales who have like, 2 teams that are any good so they have to play with the english. but even the welsh have their own national football team.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 16, 2015

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

some extremely sheltered white people think they have to say african american instead of black

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I've done this, it's like watching a robot spaz out and explode from a logic paradox.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bobby Jindal literally has himself painted as a white man in all of his official portraits lol.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Venom Snake posted:

Bobby Jindal literally has himself painted as a white man in all of his official portraits lol.

even then he's still darker than sedan chair lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

some most extremely sheltered white people think they have to say african american instead of black

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
im... black?

???

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parallax Scroll posted:

some extremely sheltered white people think they have to say african american instead of black

I prefer the term Urban myself

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I used to work at this lounge/club place parking cars and on some nights it would be mostly black while on other nights it would be mostly white. It was hilarious the ways awkward white people would struggle to ask if it was a black night or a white night when they pulled up to the valet driveway before relinquishing their car.

"Is it... uh... y'know... is it urban in there tonight?"

"So, hey buddy, is it like a dark night upstairs?"

And they'd always ask me this poo poo because most of the other employees were black as if i would be totally down to indulge their racist bullshit :negative: I always just looked at them all confused and said "what do you mean?" and sometimes they would get embarrassed, sometimes not though and would clarify.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

thathonkey posted:

I used to work at this lounge/club place parking cars and on some nights it would be mostly black while on other nights it would be mostly white. It was hilarious the ways awkward white people would struggle to ask if it was a black night or a white night when they pulled up to the valet driveway before relinquishing their car.

"Is it... uh... y'know... is it urban in there tonight?"

"So, hey buddy, is it like a dark night upstairs?"

And they'd always ask me this poo poo because most of the other employees were black as if i would be totally down to indulge their racist bullshit :negative: I always just looked at them all confused and said "what do you mean?" and sometimes they would get embarrassed, sometimes not though and would clarify.

did black people ever ask the same questions on white nights?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
well i cant say for 100% sure because they probably wouldve been asking black employees that kind of question but i'm about ~99.9% sure only white people care about poo poo like that

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
My favourite band is African American Sabbath

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Their guitarist is Toby Iommi

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler