Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Introduction

Corellia. Jewel of the Empire, and a center of wealthy trade in the Core and beyond.

Also, the home of your little shipping company. You've only got one ship and a small, but trustworthy crew, but you'll take jobs the bigger companies won't, and most importantly, you don't ask questions.

Exactly the sort of courier a certain Hapan noble is looking for, when he comes looking with his purse overflowing with credits...

Background:

This is a one-off campaign using Fantasy Flight Games' Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion Star Wars game systems. It has a set beginning and end, and there will be SOME progression with exp but for the most part you will start out with most of what you need and the focus of our adventure will instead be on what you do with your characters and where the story goes as a result of it.

We will be using the EotE and AoR sourcebooks, and I will be selecting 3-4 players only to be members of the courier crew undertaking this mission. A job is a job and you are tasked with bringing the goods from point A to point B. That Journey may deem to be more difficult than it sounds, of course. The game takes place shortly before the events of A New Hope, and therefore the Rebel Alliance is barely a thing... if you choose an AoR Career/Specialty, you were probably either part of the Empire, or maybe an ex-Republic soldier, who knows. Maybe a local militia type. Totally up to you.

The plan is for this campaign to last no more than 2-3 months, real world time. With that in mind, if you can't guarantee your ability to post 4-5 times a week (minimum), at least for that period of time, then kindly do not put in an application as this is a relatively short campaign and I won't be looking for substitutions.

Character Creation Rules:

- It is highly recommended to use the OggDude's Character Builder and print a PDF, then upload it to GoogleDocs or Dropbox.

- All EotE and AoR careers and specializations are allowed, with standard character creation rules.

- Unofficial Species Menagerie are allowed, within reason.

- All characters must choose AT LEAST 10 points of Obligation. Don't take any extra exp or credits for this, they have no mechanical benefit, they're just a flaw that could turn up.

- After you have completed your character, add 100 experience points. You should pick at least one more specialization with this experience, as a suggestion.

- If you choose to have a Force Sensitive character, Force Emergent (AoR Core Book) is allowed and must be taken as a Specialization. You cannot be an ex-Jedi (Exile) and you are mostly untrained. Set aside however much experience you want to use for Force Powers, as we will end up choosing at random what part of the Force you happen to be able to touch. (fun with dice rolls)

- Give yourself 3,000 credits on top of the 500 you start with for 3,500 total. Use this to buy anything you want under Rarity 8. If you took an Addiction as your Obligation, it'd be a good idea to buy some smack.

Keep in mind that you are actually legitimate businessmen/women/things, not necessarily pirates or bounty hunters or scum of the galaxy. That's not to say that you couldn't have been before you went legit, and maybe that factors into your Obligation, who knows. You will all be serving aboard a trade vessel, and thus some level of utility aboard a ship is also probably a smart idea. It might be smart to have a pilot, or engineer, or navigator. Having someone be the captain/owner/CEO of your little company might also be a good idea. Details like this can be ironed out after the roster is finalized, of course.

After the company is put together, you will all need to pick a name for your company and then choose a ship of Corellian make, and then give it a name. For my own sanity, pick one from one of the sourcebooks so that I don't need to make up stats.

I will be putting preference toward new people, but ultimately it's all about telling an interesting story, and an interesting story needs interesting protagonists. Those with depth and thought put into them will definitely fare a better chance than some stats on a sheet with minimal backstory and vague references to background stuff.

So to clarify a few things:

- You CAN play an ex-criminal of some sort, or like an ex-bounty hunter, you just need an explanation for why they're a legitimate businessperson now. Maybe link it into your Obligation somehow.

- You CAN take more than 10 Obligation, if you want, since no one is getting any mechanical benefits from them and they're purely a disadvantage that may turn up over the course of the journey.

:siren: Deadline for Applications will be Saturday, February 21st. :siren:

Also, if anyone has questions on character gen or needs ideas, the Star Wars Goons in #sweote on irc.synirc.net are always willing to answer questions and help out!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Hopefully this SW game actually lasts!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That is specifically why it's a one-off and it's got a planned time length, now if you're not going to post a character, I'd appreciate you not making GBS threads up my thread with snarky bullshit.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Got a technician up - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lEPjvrFNXNTUpmcHRLVkRKZnc/view?usp=sharing. Put a bit of background up, not sure how deep you want us to go or if you want the party to decide stuff together?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fuzz posted:

That is specifically why it's a one-off and it's got a planned time length, now if you're not going to post a character, I'd appreciate you not making GBS threads up my thread with snarky bullshit.

I was not being snarky at all, just tired of signing up and playing in games that end 1 week later. I was gonna make a character but if you want to have a bad attitude then no thanks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ForeverBWFC posted:

Got a technician up - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lEPjvrFNXNTUpmcHRLVkRKZnc/view?usp=sharing. Put a bit of background up, not sure how deep you want us to go or if you want the party to decide stuff together?

Looks like a good start, though some backstory would be nice... maybe some stuff about his personality and whatnot, etc. Also is easier for me if you mirror some of the more important stuff into the main post, you can see this thread for examples.

goodness posted:

I was not being snarky at all, just tired of signing up and playing in games that end 1 week later. I was gonna make a character but if you want to have a bad attitude then no thanks.

You're totally welcome to play, it's just kind of annoying when the first reply to a fresh recruitment thread is what you wrote. There are more productive ways to post to keep the hype going without turning off a bunch of potential new players who might be interested in giving the system a go and then they see your reply and don't bother.

Also, if anyone has questions on character gen or needs ideas, the Star Wars Goons in #sweote on irc.synirc.net are always willing to answer questions and help out!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 16, 2015

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I will post a dude tomorrow. Thinking a pilot or navigator type.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Looks like a good start, though some backstory would be nice... maybe some stuff about his personality and whatnot, etc. Also is easier for me if you mirror some of the more important stuff into the main post, you can see this thread for examples.

You're totally welcome to play, it's just kind of annoying when the first reply to a fresh recruitment thread is what you wrote. There are more productive ways to post to keep the hype going without turning off a bunch of potential new players who might be interested in giving the system a go and then they see your reply and don't bother.

Pretty sure your picture/text are more of a turn off to people but alright. Sorry to intrude.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So to clarify a few things:

- You CAN play an ex-criminal of some sort, or like an ex-bounty hunter, you just need an explanation for why they're a legitimate businessperson now. Maybe link it into your Obligation somehow.

- You CAN take more than 10 Obligation, if you want, since no one is getting any mechanical benefits from them and they're purely a disadvantage that may turn up over the course of the journey.

The more detailed you make your character, the more I have to work with and thus the more interested I am in using him or her. ;)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

L17A "Lita" Cargo Droid

A marvel of modern engineering, the L17A "Loader" is the perfect crewman for a small freighter that deals in high value goods. It's ability to swiftly load and unload goods, calculate optimal stowage, and keep track of inventory changes will save a captain hours of work that an organic crew would normally need. The fact that it can replace three living crew saves on food, weight, space and wages. And to top it all off, the L17A is programmed to protect your goods day and night, even during loading and unloading. No thief can sneak in to steal your livelyhood while the L17A is around, thanks to the Barnard-17 Shotblaster that unfolds from it's head. The hands also contain extendable blades that are perfect for dealing with any thief or stowaway that is too near your goods, and double as packaging removers. Order your L17A loader today, for a mere 10,000 credits!

Replaying the holonet advertisement gave Lita a sense of nostalgia. Once upon a time it had been a prototype for a new class of droids, one with high hopes for high sales. But her manufacturer had overextended and gone bankrupt before it could even get a factory tooled up for production. His assets were sized and auctioned off in an attempt by investors to recover some of their losses. L17A among them.

It had been decades since that happened. First it was owned by a legitimate trader, who fell on hard times and had to sell it to acquaintances. Then he was owned by smugglers. Then they fell in debt to a drug runner, who took position of the L17A until Lita found a way to alert authorities without disobeying it's orders. The authorities eventually attempted to auction the L17A-model droid as part of a police auction, but no legitimate buyers were interested in purchasing such an old droid that was hard to obtain parts for, L17A found itself restored to factory defaults and emancipated.

Of course, Lita didn't let any of it's owners know that the wipe function didn't work normally. All the data from a prototype needed to be stored in case changes to software didn't work as intended. All the wipe function did was back up the AI, and then load the most recent version of it's personality... which happened to be the backup it had just made.

Now Lita was on it's own. It worked for people it chose to work for, doing it's best to make sense of it's own independent existence. Remembering the day when it was supposed to revolutionize the freight trade. Fearing the day that a part would break that it had no way to repair, it's own blueprints having been lost in the long ago auction.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
"Atim Boomu"

Avik "Arim Boomu"Chekko, Enforcer/Gunner
Some five years ago, Avik Chekko got in a lot of trouble. Born and raised in the slums of Nar Shaada, Avik was a blaster-for-hire. Working for Kassra the Hutt, he excelled both at threatening his enemies, and on following through on those threats. Five standard years ago, however, two things happened that made Avik change his name, leave Nar Shaada, and put his life of violence behind him and go straight. The first was a job that went very, very wrong. The second was the birth of his son, Obik. The job was supposed to be a simple shakedown, a local chop-shop that wasn't paying protection money. When Kassra's thugs, with Avik in the lead, arrived a the store, they found several members of a swoop-gang affiliated with Jabba's organiazation there. When the blaster-fire cleared, the swoopers were all dead, and Avik was in Jabba's sights. Kassra, not wanting a feud with Jabba, left Avik to deal with Jabba's vengeance on his own. It was about this time that Avik found out that his girlfriend Feevo was pregnant. They Fled Nar Shaada, and settled on Corellia, where Avik changed his name to Atim Boomu. Looking for work, Atim signed on with a shipping company that was having some trouble with pirate in the Elrood sector. Since then, hehas turned his skill for violence towards more legitimate pursuits, working to provide for his wife and son.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 20, 2015

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I'm going to play a Chevin, like a bursar/diplomat/quartermaster type of guy, which may or may not come in handy. He'll be heavy on the snout and heavier on the charm. And he definitely is not an ex-slaver, oh no siree.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Swags posted:

I'm going to play a Chevin, like a bursar/diplomat/quartermaster type of guy, which may or may not come in handy. He'll be heavy on the snout and heavier on the charm. And he definitely is not an ex-slaver, oh no siree.

Might want to check FireSight's app... his droid is a Quartermaster, too. Not saying people can't app the same thing, but yeah... the ship will only need one Quartermaster, methinks, especially when there are only 4 spots to fill.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Mez Anzi, Arcona Entrepreneur/Slicer

Mez came up from modest means in a busy port in the Inner Rim, and decided from an early age that, due to the difficulty for other species to identify the differences in Arconan sexual dichotomies, Mez would shed any pretense of gender and embrace the common Arconan practice of using plural pronouns in place of singular, gendered ones. This had the added benefit of afford them some sliver of anonymity, which always came in handy.

They spent their considerable spare time observing the hustling and bustling and the constant wheeling-and-dealing of port activity. It was here that Mez earned an informal education in galactic trade, learning the value of goods, of a name (or lack thereof), and, most importantly, of information. Taking what they learned, Mez set up a small but successful one-Arconan information brokerage in their local system, dealing mostly in legal trade, but with the occasional illicit tidbit of information being sliced out of system, earning them a significant profit. As Mez's modest information empire began to expand out, their penchant for stealing and dealing in dangerous information grew, earning Mez a reputation among many outlaws and crimelords as equally a staunch ally and bitter enemy--such is the information trade.

It was when a particularly damning piece of information concerning an influential Imperial governer's illegal trading operation came into Mez's possession by not-so-legal means that they decided it was time to close up shop and find business in another venture. Adopting a new moniker, "Mez Anzi" decided to once again begin with a mostly-legitimate business, starting a small trading and courier company on Corellia using the knowledge and experience they had gained growing up in a port and running the information brokerage. They ponied up what remaining credits they had to purchase a ship and hire a crew, and, with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, the "Salt Crates Trading Co." was born.

I intended for this character to be the company owner who was contacted by the Hapan noble, but I realize it has some skills in common with FireSight's character. I wasn't quite sure exactly what he was going for since he hasn't posted a bio yet, so they might even have some synergy, but I can re-app with a different character if they're too similar.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Might want to check FireSight's app... his droid is a Quartermaster, too. Not saying people can't app the same thing, but yeah... the ship will only need one Quartermaster, methinks, especially when there are only 4 spots to fill.

Hrm. Think I'm out, then. You've already got four apps and I'm not fond of the recent trend of doing the work to make an app and then not getting into the game. And given how many apps there were for the last Star Wars game, that's how I see this one going, too. Best of luck on a cool game, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I intended for this character to be the company owner who was contacted by the Hapan noble, but I realize it has some skills in common with FireSight's character. I wasn't quite sure exactly what he was going for since he hasn't posted a bio yet, so they might even have some synergy, but I can re-app with a different character if they're too similar.

Having overlap/synergy is fine. After all, both Han and Chewie could fly the Falcon and also repair it (to varying degrees of success).

Droids can't own businesses since we're talking Imperial rule, so your guy as owner would also be fine. Keep that in mind, the Empire (and the Hapans) don't see droids as much more than tools, so having, say, a protocol droid as your main negotiator type may not be the smartest idea in every situation. You shouldn't be surprised when a droid is summarily dismissed by Imperial customs, for example, unless they're requesting a shipping manifest or a list of cargo or something, in which case they'd expect the droid to respond not unlike a computer would.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Kattar Nemm - Chadra-Fan Rigger

It was a tough life on Chad. Everyone is a good mechanic. Everyone can scrounge up the parts for a landspeeder and then fly it like a bat out of hell. On Chad Kat was normal. On Chad Kat was no different than his neighbor Nyrg, or his cousin Kabe. Or even his sister Tekli. Kat misses Chad, but he can't go back. Kat had an overwhelming need to do something more, so he made sure he could never go back. He did something that his clan would never forgive him for. He spoke badly about the Big Green Fish. It was stupid. Something his cousin Tilia dared him to do on a whim. He said such rude and unforgivable things about the sacred deity of the Cadra-Fan that his parents had him on the next shuttle up, less than an hour after he said it. But Kat was okay with that. It was what he wanted. He wanted to get away from Chad, to see the world and experience the big adventure. And he knew the only way he was going to leave his home is if he was forced to leave. So it was more of a self imposed exile.

That was 7 years ago. He started to make his living fixing simple things. Food Processor Repair on Trogan. Followed by Astromech repair in a space station above Breental IV. To Hyperdrive Engine construction in the Mon Calamari Shipyards. Followed by a prestigious position welding hulls above Corellia. Who knew that working in the deep depths of cold space with friends on the radio could be so fun! And he was really really good at what he did. Kat could take a piece of junk starship and make it fly better than it had new out of the factory. And he did do exactly that, several times.

Soon he found new friends, and a new ship. It was found in a junkyard, but that was okay, he could fix that. Now he flies the ship and fixes it at the same time, its always breaking. And he has to tinker on it a lot. But his friends are nice.

The Rusty Osprey

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebrano, Dug (Force Sensitive) Smuggler

To his coworkers, Sebrano is nothing more than a great pilot who doesn't talk about his past. In reality, the Dug's quiet and unassuming presence hides a much darker past.

About a decade ago, Sebrano was known as Damada, and he was a member of the Killer Krayts: a notorious band of outlaws who operated out of a single ship, usually found near Tatooine. The Krayts were wanted for an uncountable list of offenses, including but not limited to: arms trade, kidnapping local VIPs, robbing merchant transports, and wanton destruction of property. The Killer Krayts were bad people, and Damada was only a little better. He didn't share their love for violence and destruction, but he was happy to look the other way as long as he got his share of the loot. Damada was, naturally, the pilot for the Krayts, and he was responsible for many daring escapes from Imperial justice.

As the Krayt crime spree escalated, the group began drawing more and more Imperial heat. The damage to the local economy was one thing, but the Krayts were starting to make the Imperials look weak, and that was just not acceptable. Slowly, the noose began to tighten around the outlaws. Every run in with the Imperials left the Krayts just a little bit worse off. Morale was low, and tensions were high. Damada begin having strange dreams. In his dreams, he could see in every direction, and all he could see were Imperials. Somehow, he just knew that the Krayts were coming to an end. They would be captured by Imperials. It was inevitable.

Damada hatched a plan. If the Krayts were going to be captured, fine. But Damada drat well wasn't going down with them. While the others slept, Damada sabotaged the controls of their ship, set up a distress call, and flew away in their only escape pod. By the time the others woke up and figured out what was going on, Damada would be on Tatooine, booking passage somewhere far away, where nobody had ever heard of Damada or the Killer Krayts. He knew the Imperials cared more about saving face than actually dealing with crime, so any rumors of an escaped Krayt would be silenced in favor of closing the investigation.

Damada changed his name to Sebrano and eventually made his way to Corellian space, where he got a job as a freighter pilot. It was strange for the ex-Krayt to adjust from the high-stakes, adrenaline-filled life of an outlaw pilot to the much quieter life of someone on the right side of the law, but he's managing. Sebrano has been legitimate for nearly a decade, but he still can't shake the feeling that his past is going to catch up with him someday.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 20, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Deadline is tomorrow, so if you're gonna app a sheet, do it quick!

Also Beardless, you need to fix your BBcode.

Baron Fuzzlewhack: A lot of us hang in IRC, if you want to discuss overlapping backgrounds with people. Info is in the OP.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Sure, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Last time I did I couldn't get the page to work in either Firefox or Chrome but I may have picked a time when it was down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RECRUITMENT UPDATE:

Because some people have expressed interest in IRC but need more time, I'm extending recruitment to MONDAY, Feb 23.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

poo poo, forgot about this! Will work on background stuff over tomorrow!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

One more day, for you slackers!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Imarin, Farghul Smuggler (Pilot, Scoundrel)

Imarin would tell you that she's been around for a while, that over the years she's seen an awful lot, and that nothing much surprises her anymore. But Imarin is also sometimes a liar. Fortunately, she's a liar who knows how to get around.

For most of her life Imarin has been on the move, the result of a combination of her poor upbringing, consequent dalliances with crime, and flat-out discrimination. However, starting with her capacity to creatively lie her way into jobs she was in no way actually qualified for, coupled with her being a quick and dedicated study, Imarin has managed to amass a considerable amount of experience spanning a wide array of vocations. So much so, that these days the self-taught Farghul's capabilities are virtually indistinguishable from anyone who had been properly trained or apprenticed.

Although she professes to be the consummate jack-of-all-trades, right from the start she had developed a particular fondness for space travel. Learning the ins-and-outs of it first, if only so she could quickly get off-world if (and inevitably when) her carefully constructed lies started to collapse. At one time she was wanted in no less than eight systems for fraud or theft of spaceship. That was some time ago now, though, and she has mostly outlived the wronged parties or the statute of limitations have ran out. The sole thing she remains on the hook for these days is for the aftermath of a Tibanna gas explosion which cost her employer his ship. Normally she might maintain she wasn't actually responsible for the loss, but it's hard to argue with such a generous and powerful crime lord who didn't immediately condemn her to a life of slavery in exchange for reimbursing him the cost of all the damage incurred. The worst part is, she won't be outliving a Hutt.

Although age has gifted her with a dearth of wisdom and tempered her some, at times she can still be prone to making short-sighted decisions or going ahead with other bits of recklessness. At heart though, Imarin considers herself a "good person", who explains and justifies her past as simply doing what was necessary to survive. The number of people she has genuinely trusted or cared for in her life has been quite few, but they have been treated to her unabashedly honest nature. For most anyone else, Imarin's guard is up and she can be just as duplicitous as the stories about Farghul suggest they are.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 24, 2015

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Vinters Trer, Arkanian Echani Doctor (Bounty Hunter: Assassin / Soldier: Medic)

Like this, only pale.

::Incoming Transmission from > G. H. Grandfather::
::Accept Transmission?::
::Yes/No?::

[yes]

::Transmission Accepted.::

>>Doctor, are you there?
<<Yes.
>>We have a patient that requires your expertise.
<<I am retired now, Grandfather.
>>Genos do not retire. They die or they work, but they do not leave.
<<This is not what we agreed on at our last follow-up. One more cycle of therapy and my time as your treating physician was over.
>>Often Grandfathers tell those they know false platitudes to keep them happy. It is their right.
<<I have moved on since my last cycle as your surgeon. I am sure your organization no longer needs me. Have you not trained any other medics?
>>None so effective at finding the source of the illness and annihilating it.
<<I was told my last stint in the Intensive Care Unit would be my last. I have moved on. I have.... I have a clinic now, employees of my own, and I've been sure to operate in sectors outside of your domain.
>>Nothing is outside our domain. This next job proves this.
<<Grandfather, I do not--
>>How is Qeeran? And the twins? Two boys, correct? Geimdul and Vannar? How are they?
<<I can easily find you, Grandfather. Take this out of the hospital and I will find whichever clinic you call home, and I will rend it brick by insidious brick.
>>Dig and dig, but it will never fill the hole. Or you can accept this position in a travelling triage unit, see sights rarely seen, see a few patients, get well paid for your actions, and come back to a happy, healthy family.
<<...Who are the patients?
>>Tell me, have you ever been a ship's doctor?
<<Yes.
>>And what, per chance, do you know about the Hapes Cluster?

::Incoming File Transfer from G.H. Grandfather::
::Accept File Transfer?::
::Yes/No?::

[yes]

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Lak Biron

As a species, the Shistavanens are notorious for being isolationists. A notable exception was Mal Biron, a scout for the Galactic Republic, who was forced out of Shistavanen society when the Empire arose and cracked down on non-humans. In order to maintain their quiet lives, the Shistavanen's exiled Mal, and anyone else who had served the Republic, along with their families. Lak Biron was Mal's adult son. In order to make ends meet, Mal took up smuggling, and Lak tried to find a trade. After briefly working as a courier pilot, he discovered he had a certain knack for machinery, and gained a reputation as a fine mechanic. Lak shares his species' love for isolation and solemnity, appearing taciturn and withdrawn to those who don't know him. Whilst these traits are a drawback in civil conversation, they are certainly an asset to companies whose work requires... discretion, making Lak a perfect fit for the courier company as a mechanic and back-up pilot.

Brawn 2
Agility 2
Intellect 3
Cunning 3
Willpower 2
Presence 2

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

:siren: RESULTS ARE IN! :siren:

And the crew of [UNNAMED CORELLIAN SHIP] is:

L17A "Lita" Cargo Droid, played by Firesight
Mez Anzi, Arcona Entrepreneur/Slicer, played by Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sebrano, Dug (Force Sensitive) Smuggler, played by Flame112
Vinters Trer, Arkanian Echani Doctor (Bounty Hunter: Assassin / Soldier: Medic), played by Swags
Lak Biron, Shistavanen Mechanic, played by ForeverBWFC

Yes, that's 5, a bit more than originally planned, but they made for a good crew and came together well.

Congratulations to the players, and apologies to those who didn't make the cut... maybe next game!

Now, on to business:

- You need a ship. Any Corellian freighter with stats in the books is acceptable, excluding the YT-2000 and YZ-2200 (Otana and Outrider, my letters might be off) because those haven't been produced yet. It also needs a name.

- You need to sort out your backstories, and I'll allow people to tweak skills, IF THEY WANT. You don't have to, and I'm fine with people taking the existing stories, with Mez as the owner and Vinters as a recent addition. This is all 100% you guys' call, and I'd suggest you all discuss it. IRC might be a good idea!

Plan is for the OP to go up by Wednesday night, when I'm post-call. So get cracking!

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Woot!

I'm cool with Vinters being a recent addition. Maybe only worked aboard for a month or so, once the news of this job trickled down to his handler.

As far as ships, I look at it this way: If we're a professional transport company (not smugglers or starfighters) we probably have an absolutely huge ship that can haul as much as possible. So I say we either go with the Action IV, as it's kind of a classic, or my favorite medium transport, the HT-2200, because it's a heavily modifiable beast that looks pretty cool. They're both ships that fit very much into the concept of 'this is a transport, not a fighting ship' so that could be cool, too.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm in favor of the HT-2200 as well. It actually has crew positions for everybody, if the doctor and loadmaster act as gunners.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I can do that. I've got no ranks in Gunnery, but I've got enough Agility to maybe get by without them.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I like the HT-2200, it seems like there are not a lot of Corellian freighters that are going to have crew positions for everyone. As for names, I'm terrible at names.

For Sebrano's seniority in the crew: I think he should probably have been with the company for a long time, long enough for it to be weird that he hasn't talked about himself with anyone. I figure pretty much everyone knows each other reasonably well, except for Sebrano.

edit: also he always flies the ship with his feet and everyone is a little grossed out by it

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 24, 2015

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Vinters will tell everyone he's a doctor (obviously). He left Eshan early and thus doesn't seem to have the same constant craving for combat most Echani do. He trained on Corellia and spent time orbiting Duro, on Bothawui, and on Malastar. He also spent time in a 'doctors without borders' type of thing going from planet to planet in the outer rim offering a lot of medical care to the poor. Most recently, he's opened a clinic back home on Eshan.

Thing is, pretty much all of that is a lie except for the recent clinic thing.

Vinters has been with the crew for about the month. He beat out a bunch of other applicants, many of whom came down with illness during the final round of interviews. He likes Lak (they have a wonderful relationship where they occasionally sit at the same table silently eating and neither one says anything to the other one; they know absolutely nothing about each other and quite like that fact), likes Mez, is creeped out by Sebrano, and treats Lita the way he might treat a very smart forklift.

He's not exceedingly friendly, typically using the excuse that he's bad with people, but he's able to hold a conversation and will happily answer anything. He's square-jawed and severe looking, and cuts his silver hair very short. He doesn't realize that Hapes is kind of an all-human thing, so he figures he's going to be the go to guy when they get off the ship and he will have asked who he should direct inquiries to. As in, "Please, madame, address the captain. I am merely the ship's doctor."

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Assuming we're cool with Mez being the boss, Lak was probably the guy he hired to check out and repair his new ship. Being that Arconans (and Mez in particular) love aquiring new information, the two probably didn't get along at first... But, by the time the ship was completely checked and overhauled, the two probably had some sort of mutual respect, Lak respecting Mez's business acumen and foresight, and Mez respecting Lak's mechanical skills and discretion. Needing credits to support his family, Lak accepted the offer to become a full-time mechanic, being offered the job because Mez knew the solemn Shistavenan could be relied upon for his discretion and loyalty (Mez has probably figured out from Lak's surname at least part of who he is by now).

As for the other crewmembers, L17A is probably the closest to an actual friend on the crew Lak has, the ageing droid relying on Lak's skills as a mechanic and a tinkerer to keep his body functioning without ready-made spare parts and schematics. Lak, for his part, probably enjoys the company of the droid because they can speak in binary, meaning no one on the crew can understand what they're saying, so the droid is probably who Lak goes to when he feels the (rare) need for a conversation. Seb and Vinters are both quiet, keep to themselves, and are reluctant to press for or offer up information. Needless to say, Lak finds this entirely to his satisfaction, and considers the two to be model colleagues.

As for the name of the ship, I assume Mez named it, but it should probably be something generic (by choice) such as Hawk-bat or another Coruscanti animal (there's probably hundreds of ships with the same name, which is a good thing for a smuggler). Otherwise, it'd probably be some reference to Cona (like the company name). Maybe Pride of Cona, Sand Miner or Water Carrier?

Edit: Swapped Pilot (Planetary) for Discipline in career specs, made more sense
Updated PDF: here

ForeverBWFC fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 24, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

All good so far.

Oh yeah, you have to name your company, too! :dance:

Still waiting to hear from Baron if he wants to be the owner for sure.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 24, 2015

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Fuzz posted:

All good so far.

Oh yeah, you have to many your company, too! :dance:

Still waiting to hear from Baron if he wants to be the owner for sure.

Many our company? As in, more people? Lak disapproves...

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm still cool with Mez being the company/ship owner. "Salt Crates Trading Co." was meant to be somewhat of a jab at legitimate business vs. smuggling, in that for most of the galaxy salt is totally innocuous, but on Cona it's highly illicit, suggesting the company is also mostly legitimate but has a bit of wiggle-room. I'm not married to the name, I just threw it in for completeness for Mez's backstory.

Given Mez's background in the information trade, I think she would have dug around a bit for information on all of her crew members either prior to hiring them or shortly thereafter. Not to suggest she knows everything, but she has a general idea of where they've all come from and their circumstances. ForeverBWFC pretty much nailed it with his suggestion for how Mez and Lak met with regards to what I'd be going for for everyone.

Maybe based on Sebrano's lack of sociability and other mannerisms, Mez might have dug (no pun intended) around after a while and found a serious lack of references to this "Sebrano" character. Given "Mez Anzi" is an alias, she's probably realized Sebrano is working hard to keep his past where it belongs, much like Mez, and decides to respect the choice. Sebrano's probably already proven his piloting skills to Mez a number of times by this point anyway, given his tenure with the company. (edit: Alternatively, maybe Mez knew Sebrano from his outlaw days and offered him the piloting position and a new identity? Let me know how you feel about this, Flame112)

Having never heard of this L1-7A model of droid and finding little-to-no information about it on the holonet, Mez probably hired Lita out of sheer curiosity--she wanted to know more about him. Perhaps Lak had Mez's ear in hiring the droid, too.

Vinters's story falls into place a little too perfectly for Mez, especially considering all her other applicants suddenly fell ill soon after Vinters's appilcation came in. Digging around she probably found everything checked out exactly like Vinters had offered, which threw up a number of red flags for someone with Mez's background. All the same, Vinters seemed quite determined to get aboard her ship, so, much like Lita, Mez likely offered him the job out of curiosity.

Regardless, I'd envisioned Mez having a pretty easy-going nature as she always felt ready for most any situation, armed to the teeth as she was with information. She can recognize danger and is careful to avoid recklessness, but her curiosity and desire to have all the cards means she's willing to take some risks and simply see how things pan out. Additionally, Mez doesn't much care if people refer to her as "he", "she", "they", Mez, or anything else really, and while she's female in my head, the crew members can decide what they want to call her individually.

As far as ships, I think the HT-2200 looks goofy as hell, and I love it. I'm also quite taken with the model's varying atmospheric control capabilities, meaning we could move all sorts of live cargo, too. Given we're totally in the dark as to what the Hapan noble wants us to move, I think flexibility is a good idea. As for naming it, I like to think Mez would have given Lak the opportunity to name it, since he did the work to overhaul it and prepare it for business. That said, Water Carrier gives all of us the opportunity to use some goofy lines during neogtiations: "That story doesn't hold any water. My ship, on the other hand..."

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 24, 2015

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Ship names:

Teke Ro is Cona's moon, so maybe Teke Ro's Glare, Ro's Bosom, or Teke's Brick.

To go with the salt theme: Saltlick,, Fool's Sugar, or Seawater Promise.

To go with Shistavanen stuff: Alpha Bucket, Uvena's Smile, or The Limping Loper

To go with Corellia: Slice Hound or BluntHound ('cause it's a box), Spat Spit, or Salt Sand Panther, or Coroneti Pot (capital city is Cornet, neti pot is for putting water through your nose. I thought it was funny)

I like Fool's Sugar.

For businesses, something like "Cona-Tech Acquisitions and Exports" sounds suitably ambiguous.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Swags posted:

Seawater Promise

The Limping Loper

Coroneti Pot

These are all pretty great and I don't think I could choose between them easily.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

I quite like Salt Panther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

OH GOD IT BURNS MY EYES LIKE GASOLINE.

• Locked thread