Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vitruvio posted:

Nathan Explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

genesplicer posted:

I saw a ghost when I was a kid. I awoke in the middle of the night paralyzed, unable to move. Sitting at the end of the bed was a guy with a some sort of mask or cage over his face. When I woke up, I saw him sitting there. He slowly turned his head to look at me, then got up and walked across my bedroom and through the closed door.

I didn't learn about the concept of "Sleep paralysis" for about 6 months after that.

OP, you are experiencing Sleep Paralysis.

this exact post is like a template for about half the posts in any ghost story thread.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

I kind of want to start a letter writing campaign where I pick a serial killer like iceman or whatever and send them letter after letter saying "* G H O S T S * A R E * R E A L *"

He would be so angry and want to kill me, but can't because jail.

Well, it'd make it easier for the cops to guess where he'll go the day he breaks out, I'll give you that.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

BigBadSteve posted:

You can't kill ghosts, OP, as they are already dead, but maybe the fear of ghosts will kill you, and you will become a ghost yourself.
I'm left with several burning questions.

Can ghosts beat up other ghosts?

Can the living smell ghost farts?

Can a fleshie have sex with a ghost? If so, do you need to wear protection?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Orkin Mang posted:

this exact post is like a template for about half the posts in any ghost story thread.

Sleep Paralysis Stories are the best, they combine the excitement of someone telling you about a dream they had with the excitement of your elderly aunt telling you about how she once heard her dead husband's voice in the garage.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Francis Baconator posted:

I'm left with several burning questions.

Can ghosts beat up other ghosts?

Can the living smell ghost farts?

Can a fleshie have sex with a ghost? If so, do you need to wear protection?

Yes to all, and interestingly enough, all for the same reason.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BigBadSteve posted:

You can't kill ghosts, OP, as they are already dead, but maybe the fear of ghosts will kill you, and you will become a ghost yourself.

I should be so lucky. How awesome would it be to just exist to scare the gently caress out of stupid bitches? What's surprising is ghosts never get bored of the fundamentals of ghostery. Like, you never turn a corner and some frat guys ghost is pulling his butthole apart at you while screaming in latin. No need to, just need to get the ball in the hole. That's the life.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

lonesomedwarf posted:

real talk" what would happen???

Using a Ouija board is like inviting every crazy transient, violent criminal, and deranged homeless person within a 50-mile radius over to your neighborhood and leaving your own front door wide open.

Improperly ending a Ouija session is like doing the above, then casually telling everyone to leave once and leaving your front door partway open.

Destroying a Ouija board before properly ending a Ouija session is like doing the above, then tearing your front door off its hinges entirely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carve this staff on a piece from a horses scalp using a mix of seal blood, fox blood and human blood.

While drawing the rune recite this incantation:

Þykkt blóð, þreytast rekkar.
Þjóð mörg vos öld bjóða,
grand heitt, gummar andast,
glatast auður, firrast snauðir.
Hætt grand hræðast dróttir
hríð mörg, vesöld kvíða,
angur vænt, ærnar skærur.
Illur sveimur nú er í heimi.

Take care never to draw it towards yourself as it may cause it to have ill affect on you.

This will summon the ghost (or more likely raise the ghosts and/or revenants of any near by dead).

When this is done you should draw a cross on your nose using blood from your own left big toe and right nipple as well as some brain matter from a raven. Then you should begin reciting a rhyme with as much force and fury as possible. If you can see the ghost spit on it, if you find it's grave spit on that as well. If the ghosts attempts to talk to you you should either ignore it and keep reciting the rhyme or insult it. If you answer the ghosts normally you will go insane. If the ghost is corporeal and tries to beat you to death and drink your blood then you should wrestle it down to the ground while shouting insults at it. If you do this properly it should be able to drive it back into the grave. It's is recommended that you draw all the wards you know on your clothing to prevent the ghost from putting any curses on you and to limits it's power to murder you.

Best of luck.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Aubergine Mage posted:

But if it's a psychologists ghost he'll analyze you and your plan will be ruined

But if it's an old psychologist ghost, and the person offering to kill the ghost with his depression is a guy, could he, like, claim it's penis envy and then the psychologist ghost will get trapped in an infinite loop

Also, where's the schizophrenic goon that had the super creepy hallucination that followed him around. It was like a lady with her mouth ripped open and no eyes or something.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Using a Ouija board is like inviting every crazy transient, violent criminal, and deranged homeless person within a 50-mile radius over to your neighborhood and leaving your own front door wide open.

Improperly ending a Ouija session is like doing the above, then casually telling everyone to leave once and leaving your front door partway open.

Destroying a Ouija board before properly ending a Ouija session is like doing the above, then tearing your front door off its hinges entirely.

u serious dog?

naem
May 29, 2011

You need to use a Waluigi board

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if it was fakeposting or not, but it's funny that people put any validity in Ouija boards - the Parker Brothers toy sold at Toys R Us.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Not sure if it was fakeposting or not, but it's funny that people put any validity in Ouija boards - the Parker Brothers toy sold at Toys R Us.

Yeah. I imagine someone on Halloween walking into a party where he was supposed to pick up a ouija board,"Sorry guys. They were out of Ouiji boards. We're gonna have to try to communicate with the beyond via 'Clue'."

Edit: One of the psychics communicates with the dead in "Insidious 2" with scrabble tiles. I'm thinking that might have been a joke on purpose.

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 19, 2015

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

naem posted:

It's been a day since the last ghostpost here, but fora da record:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Keith Stone posted:

It's a well known local story. I guess if the plaintiff heard from the neighbors about the story they could claim we defrauded them if they wanted. I don't know, tbh.

In reality we know exactly what is going on. The house was built in 1914, none of the walls are square anymore. The foundation has settled so the floors aren't 100% flat. The place shifts in the wind. All of that poo poo fucks with your perception and gives you a sense of unease.

The story just becomes part of the experience of living here. We just attribute all the weird sensations to the ghost story. It's just a good story to share and we have confirmed it with people familiar with the house that it's all true (deaths and suicides).

It's just "Suspension of Disbelief"

my question wasn't directed at you in particular, and i guess if its a local legend it would be easier to make a case that you lied. but i wonder if anyone has asked if a house was haunted, got told no retard, saw "creepy things" and tried to sue. otherwise why would such a clause exist?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
So one night me and my girlfriend were staying at her aunt's house. She had mentioned earlier that it was haunted. I just kind said "Sure OK" cuz I don't believe in that stuff. But anyways I was laying awake in the middle of the night as I tend to do whenever I sleep in a bed that isn't mine. After some time I heard a noise like a paper bag being crumpled. I'm laying on my side facing away from the doorway thinking "What the gently caress" and the sound happens again, but this time it's moving closer to me. There's a pause for a second or two and there it is again coming closer to where I'm laying. And a third time stopping right the gently caress behind my head. All I can think is "loving A is this really happening?" I'm laying perfectly still. Whatever it is I don't want it to know I'm awake so I just lay there and nothing else happens. After maybe and hour I'm getting uncomfortable so I turn over onto my other side and look around a bit, seeing nothing out of place.
I used to have night terrors/sleep paralysis when I was younger so I know how they feel. This really didn't feel like that. I wasn't really scared just kinda in a stunned disbelief. I can't for the life of me figure out what the gently caress would cause such a noise. No less a noise that only sounded as it moved. And came behind me as I slept then left or dissapeared without further noise.
I know you guys will read this and just tell me it was in fact sleep paralysis or something else but if you lived it and were there you'd be just as stumped as me. And as an atheist even I have a hard time accepting what happened actually happened because I have a lot of my worldview built up around the idea of death being the end of everything and it's not easy to give all that up over one unexplained occurrence. All I know is that I had a perfect chance to just roll the gently caress over and look at whatever it was but I just layed there and played dead. So I guess I learned something about myself that night. I don't really want to know.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

sometimes a ghost just has to rock out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iis09l1JL4

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I believe in ghosts, but I am mentally ill so it doesn't count.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No matter what this entity says to you, one thing is sure.
It truly believes you are a human being.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Carve this staff on a piece from a horses scalp using a mix of seal blood, fox blood and human blood.

While drawing the rune recite this incantation:

Þykkt blóð, þreytast rekkar.
Þjóð mörg vos öld bjóða,
grand heitt, gummar andast,
glatast auður, firrast snauðir.
Hætt grand hræðast dróttir
hríð mörg, vesöld kvíða,
angur vænt, ærnar skærur.
Illur sveimur nú er í heimi.

Take care never to draw it towards yourself as it may cause it to have ill affect on you.

This will summon the ghost (or more likely raise the ghosts and/or revenants of any near by dead).

When this is done you should draw a cross on your nose using blood from your own left big toe and right nipple as well as some brain matter from a raven. Then you should begin reciting a rhyme with as much force and fury as possible. If you can see the ghost spit on it, if you find it's grave spit on that as well. If the ghosts attempts to talk to you you should either ignore it and keep reciting the rhyme or insult it. If you answer the ghosts normally you will go insane. If the ghost is corporeal and tries to beat you to death and drink your blood then you should wrestle it down to the ground while shouting insults at it. If you do this properly it should be able to drive it back into the grave. It's is recommended that you draw all the wards you know on your clothing to prevent the ghost from putting any curses on you and to limits it's power to murder you.

Best of luck.

is this some old viking thing, its p badarse anyway. have a ghost problem? wrestle that fucker to the ground and insult them

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
Stay safe, ghost ghost!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

memento mori posted:

So one night me and my girlfriend were staying at her aunt's house. She had mentioned earlier that it was haunted. I just kind said "Sure OK" cuz I don't believe in that stuff. But anyways I was laying awake in the middle of the night as I tend to do whenever I sleep in a bed that isn't mine. After some time I heard a noise like a paper bag being crumpled. I'm laying on my side facing away from the doorway thinking "What the gently caress" and the sound happens again, but this time it's moving closer to me. There's a pause for a second or two and there it is again coming closer to where I'm laying. And a third time stopping right the gently caress behind my head. All I can think is "loving A is this really happening?" I'm laying perfectly still. Whatever it is I don't want it to know I'm awake so I just lay there and nothing else happens. After maybe and hour I'm getting uncomfortable so I turn over onto my other side and look around a bit, seeing nothing out of place.
I used to have night terrors/sleep paralysis when I was younger so I know how they feel. This really didn't feel like that. I wasn't really scared just kinda in a stunned disbelief. I can't for the life of me figure out what the gently caress would cause such a noise. No less a noise that only sounded as it moved. And came behind me as I slept then left or dissapeared without further noise.
I know you guys will read this and just tell me it was in fact sleep paralysis or something else but if you lived it and were there you'd be just as stumped as me. And as an atheist even I have a hard time accepting what happened actually happened because I have a lot of my worldview built up around the idea of death being the end of everything and it's not easy to give all that up over one unexplained occurrence. All I know is that I had a perfect chance to just roll the gently caress over and look at whatever it was but I just layed there and played dead. So I guess I learned something about myself that night. I don't really want to know.

you should confront the fact that you were never really a skeptic, as evidenced by the fact that you heard a noise at night and reacted by going "oh poo poo a g-g-g-ghooostt!" instead of turning to look at it right away like a normal person.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
I really wish I'd looked :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Go back the house, find nothing, be satisfied.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
What if Bigfoot is actually a cavemen ghost?

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

memento mori posted:

poo poo, you're acting like we've got it all figured out and nothing supernatural even could exist, ever (like most of us do). Recorded history dates to something like +8000 years and that's nothing compared to the age of the universe or even our own planet. We humans just think we know it all, and ghosts etc. are just a figment of our imagination, they could never be true. Still the stories of such entities have been around for a long, long time... I'd rather question stuff and not outright deny them because science cant prove them, atleast yet. There's so much bizarre poo poo in this world, that you cant count supernatural stuff out just because the science cant prove it, in my opinion. So, better not anger the spirits, right? ;)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

poo poo, you're acting like we've got it all figured out and nothing supernatural even could exist, ever (like most of us do). Recorded history dates to something like +8000 years and that's nothing compared to the age of the universe or even our own planet. We humans just think we know it all, and ghosts etc. are just a figment of our imagination, they could never be true. Still the stories of such entities have been around for a long, long time... I'd rather question stuff and not outright deny them because science cant prove them, atleast yet. There's so much bizarre poo poo in this world, that you cant count supernatural stuff out just because the science cant prove it, in my opinion. So, better not anger the spirits, right? ;)

you are a child lol

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

This seems like a reasonable position but it arises out of a completely wrong mental model or what's actually going on when you talk about science or empirical study in general. These things are called "supernatural" not just because they haven't been proven yet. They are concepts designed to resist verification. They're even less than wrong. As soon as you start talking about verifying their existence in some empirical way, you're no longer talking about the supernatural, and you're no longer talking about spirits or ghosts or whatever. In other words, if you could somehow demystify these so-called ghost encounters into something real, you would also lose their essential character.

More importantly, approaching the world according to skeptical reasoning only means that you don't entertain the existence of something until there's a good reason to do so. To even consider ghosts merely based on popular cultural myths is just backward.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Death is an eternal abyss.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thank u for demonstrating why magical thinking will never die

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My 7th grade science class had a formal debate where a kid told me "well you can't prove God doesn't exist so there" and it's cool to see that's about the level of thought most people give this kind of thing

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Also one empirically verifiable explanation for some hauntings is an invisible mind altering miasma but for some reason we crave the attention of some 19th century nobody who ate poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suicides and other unholy deaths were often buried near but not within the proper graveyard, hth op

• Locked thread