Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Not actually that gritty except for a few endings, though.

Cinders is a choose-your-own-adventure visual novel by MoaCube starring, as the title suggests, Cinderella. However, there has been a lot of attention turned toward making her and the people she interacts with (particularly her stepfamily) into well-developed, fleshed-out characters in their own right. There are eight unique endings, as well as a lot of smaller events and variations that can diverge quite a bit from each other. Want to join up with the the local witch doctor and poison your wicked stepmother, allowing you to seize control of your inheritance? How about securing a marriage with the country's reform-minded Prince with the help of your strange, otherwordly faerie godmother? You can also forget this whole ball business and elope with a local shopkeeper. In this thread, you can do all that and more. The first playthrough will be courtesy of goon choice, and then I will most likely include at least a few other endings. Possibly all of them, but we'll see.

It makes me wonder... If I decided to act earlier, maybe things wouldn't be so broken between us. Maybe with just a little effort this family wouldn't fall apart like this. But I suppose it was easier to complain and do nothing rather than try to change things. Isn't it always? Tonight, it's different! This is the night of change. The night where my plans finally take effect.

I can hear my stepsisters talking in soft voices in the hall. I imagine they, too, won't get any sleep tonight. During the last few days, I've learned so much more about them. But can it erase all the years they tormented and humiliated me?

(Since the consequences of this choice aren't immediately obvious, and so the OP isn't so ridiculously short, I'll continue on to the next decision point as well.)

I still can't believe she did it! I would never have suspected...

Of course. Because everyone is as dim-witted as you are and never does anything out of the ordinary or unexpected.

Oh, yes. I'm sure you were able to foresee what would happen! Did you see it in tea leaves or read it in a children's book one afternoon, while avoiding work and being useless as usual?

I did entertain the thought she might do something like this, if you must know. But believe what you want, I don't care.

I also suspected she might try to do something. She was so secretive and compliant at times that an explosion seemed inevitable. I just didn't expect she had it in her!

Gloria, please. Sometimes you sound like a cliche villain from a bad romance novel.

Of course, if something isn't twisted, weird, or shocking then you won't consider it! Not everyone is like you, Sophia.

I know not everyone is. You're not. Though you try your best to be like Mother, always responding the same way regardless of the situation. Predictable, boring, and stupid. But you are not Carmosa, remember? You do not lead, you mindlessly follow. And it shows!

Shut up, you—

It's him! Why did he have to come!? And in the middle of the night!

Will the wonders never cease. I guess this night of change is not over yet. Just as your ridiculous cliche impersonations aren't done yet, either.

There's no time for this now! Though I'm sure Mother will deal with you later. I'll go summon her!

You do that.

Sophia. Don't stand like that! Open the door, let this noisy man in!

Yes, Mother.

So many belts. Final Fantasy auditions are that way, dude. :psyduck:

Spare me these false pleasantries! You know why I'm here. Where is she?

Very well. Sophia, get Cinders here right away!

Yes, Mother.

Be quick about it, child. Captain, would you fancy some wine while we wait for my lazy stepdaughter?

Don't push it. You know this is not a courtesy visit. I'm afraid a lot is going to change here tonight.

I must admit, I'm afraid of it too. Some independent woman I am.

Move! You know she doesn't like to wait!

Fine, fine! I'm moving. Just give me a moment!

Make sure it's quick!
Cinders, can I... can I ask you something?

Yes, Sophia?

This whole situation. What happened this evening and the guard bashing at our door and all.

So, readers, do people deserve a second chance, or should they get what they deserve? And should we tell Sophia the truth, or lie to her?

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
TABLE OF CONTENTS

Goon Playthrough
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Goon Ending

Run #2, retaking Cinders' residence with the help of the Fairy
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Run 2 Ending

CHARACTERS

Our heroine, a young woman who has lost her parents and now lives with her stepmother and two stepsisters.

The younger stepsister, with an inclination toward the intellectual and the weird.

The older stepsister, who tries to remake herself in her mother's image.

Cinders' stepmother, a harsh woman who, along with her two daughters, has been making Cinders' life miserable since Cinders' father died.

A childhood friend of Cinders, he now runs a successful business in town.

The Captain of the Prince's Guard. A veteran of several wars who now keeps the peace in the capital town.

The ruler of the kingdom in which the story takes place. His father's last wish was for him to find a worthy wife before being crowned King, so the Prince is planning a masquerade ball to cut down on the political intrigue among the nobility that would entail. He has vague but grand plans to reform the kingdom.

A local medicine woman/potential witch, and also a potential fairy godmother stand-in (yes really). She knew Cinders' mother, who asked Madame Ghede to help her daughter.

Also, here is the version of the tale that appears in the Grimm Fairy Tales:
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm021.html
Some notable things about it: no fairy godmother at all, does have singing animals, and Cinderella's father is actually alive during the whole thing.

Probably more popular, however, is the version recorded by Charles Perrault (a name you may recognize from the character list) in 1698:
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0510a.html#perrault

This one has the pumpkin carriage and the fairy godmother and whatnot.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 29, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
People deserve a second chance, and let's put that into action by telling her the truth.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The talking heads you're using are squashed vertically. (Most of them, anyway. Cinder's is fine.) I don't know why. A goof when resizing them?

And let's go for second chances but no more secrets.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FredMSloniker posted:

The talking heads you're using are squashed vertically. (Most of them, anyway. Cinder's is fine.) I don't know why. A goof when resizing them?
drat. Yes. I cropped them from other screenshots manually, then resized them to 100x100 without maintaining aspect ratio. I'll fix that soon. There, that should look better.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 16, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People get what they deserve and right now Sophia deserves lies.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Revenge is a dish best served cold. They get what they deserve

It is all the sweeter for the Truth of the matter being what it is.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm very tired of gritty reboots in general, but this does look interesting and the art is great.

If the original fairy tales are anything to go by, people get what they deserve, but until you have them where you want them you might as well lie to keep them off balance. Make up a crazy story about a magical fairy godmother or something.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If there isn't a way to go Game of Thrones on this I'm gonna be surprised, because people get what they deserve, even when sometimes they don't. So pile on the lies.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Wow, ask the tough questions without any context provided, why don't you, game. People deserve second chances and Cinders will tell the truth.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Zoe posted:

I'm very tired of gritty reboots in general, but this does look interesting and the art is great.

I'm actually tired of gritty reboots myself. I would classify this more as a re-imagining. The thread title was just intended to be amusing/ironic.

E: Both sets of choices are neck and neck. It looks like the next vote or two will decide our fate!

Orbs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Lokapala posted:

Wow, ask the tough questions without any context provided, why don't you, game. People deserve second chances and Cinders will tell the truth.

People deserve second changes, and the truth is good.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
People deserve second chances, but we might not get that opportunity if we don't lie.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
"People deserve a second chance":

You can't erase the past. That's for sure. But I know that sometimes we don't choose our fates. Were circumstances different, my stepsisters could be good people. We could be friends. Whatever happens, I hope they won't come into harm. They deserve another chance...

The only immediate change is those lines, but this does have other impacts we'll see down the line.

Then, things proceed as before until the second choice.

Choosing "Tell the truth":

Yes, I guess so...

Funny. It all started with my stepmother summoning me, just like now...

(Seven days earlier)
To be completely honest, I really dislike when stories begin in media res, and then quickly flash back to their actual beginning anyway. That defeats the entire purpose of in media res, guys. :eng99: This is not a sign of things to come though. The story picks up quite a bit.

The last few days were all rain and gloom. But today is different! Today is summer in its fullest. It's so nice to see the sun again. It can get pretty cold in this 'room' of mine. Although I don't feel so frisky right now, I could use more beauty sleep. I shouldn't have burned the midnight oil over a book last night.

And a silly book, too. Some adolescent girl, pretty and numb as a freshly cut flower, shows divine humility and courage while suffering oppression from her abusive family. Who writes these things? And do they really want young women to develop this martyr-like attitude? Funny though... If it's really that bad and makes me so angry, why did I read it in the first place? Maybe something in it really echoes a part of my own experience? I don't know. And I'm not going to spend the morning wondering about it.

Of course, it isn't as if I'll get to enjoy the day either. Lady Carmosa will certainly make sure that I have to do the worst chores. The old hag could use any of her servants, but no. She always sends me! I get the feeling she simply wants to humiliate me.

If only Father was still here... On a day like this, he would surely take me to the forest. We always went to the lake—the Magical Lake as he called it—and left a loaf of bread under the old tree! 'Gotta pay tribute to the fairies, you never know when you may need their help.' Good old man. He used to tell me stories about 'the Little Folk', even when I was far too old to believe them anymore. I miss him so much.

But enough daydreaming! Honestly, I talk to myself way too often these days. It's only a moment before I start considering mice and sparrows my only friends, and we will go frolicking and singing together. What a sight that would be! Luckily, I know better than that. I may get lonely sometimes, but I'm not empty-headed. Time to get up, Cinders. The day has only just started.

I still have some time before my 'sisters' wake up. I could start my cleaning duties, to have more time later. Or I could try to finish that book I was reading last night. Or... I could seize this opportunity to do sweet nothing, hah!

Yeah, we didn't get very far before the next choice, but I'm hoping to make up for the brevity of this and some other updates with frequency. I'm going to try to update daily, or more often if there are ever any clear majorities in the votes. For now, what should we do with our free time this morning?

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 28, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Read.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do absolutely nothing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Read

A good book is a nice way to ease into a day

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
work

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This looks like an interesting game. I'm going to say work because I don't want to chance the sisters or mother catching her doing the other choices unaware.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm gonna say work too, faster she gets started the faster she gets that poo poo done and can go do other things. Though I guess stepmom or sisters will probably just pile more BS chores on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

work

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Work calls

And yeah.If you're going to in media us, maybe actually have a bunch of stuff happen before you flashback.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Work it is!

'Cinders, do the cleaning! 'Cinders, go to the town!' 'Cinders, why isn't my dress washed yet?!' Ugh... I hate it so much! But what can I do? I have to stay patient and hope for the better. I'm not flimsy. If this is a test, I will face it with a smile. If I start cleaning now, I should be done before afternoon. And maybe even get some time for myself in the evening. Off to work then! I'll start with my room. I swear it gathers the dust from the whole residence. I should also bring in some fresh flowers. My room may be just a repurposed storage, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to make it more cozy, right?

Cinders! Are you there?

Sophia? I'm in the broom locker.

Oh. You're cleaning already? So considerate of you. But I'm afraid Mother has different plans. She wishes to see you immediately.

She wishes to see me? Did she tell you what she wants?

No, of course not. Why would she? And why would I want to ask in the first place? She looked rather angry though.

That doesn't sound good! I hope I'm not in some kind of trouble again. You really could have asked her, you know?

I think you mistook me for one of those gentle, well-mannered noble girls who care about others. Sorry to break it for you, but I don't. If you are in trouble, that means I get a free pass today. So I'm rooting for it with all my heart, sis.

My, aren't you one charming human being.

Thank you. Now hurry up and let's go already!

Carmosa does her best to keep the residence in its former splendor, and I guess most would be fooled by it. But for me this place feels like it is fading away.

Oh, so you didn't get lost after all.

But it seems you were just taking your precious time with no regard for the rest of us. You're as hopelessly irresponsible as that sister of mine. No wonder that Mother can't count on anyone other than me in this house.

Option 1 is a straight denial, option 2 turns the question back around on her with some sass, and option 3 has Cinderella say that being saved sounds nice :downs:. There is also a somewhat related choice shortly after she responds to this one, so I figure I'll take votes on both at once:

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 28, 2015

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
You're so good at projecting, dear sis, but I wonder, do you ever get tired of it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lokapala posted:

You're so good at projecting, dear sis, but I wonder, do you ever get tired of it?

Yeah this sounds good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a fun time, drink every time the narration says some variant of 'real life isn't like a fairy tale' or 'there's no happy endings' or other edgy 14 year old things like that

i couldnt get more than an hour into the game due to this

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Endorph posted:

for a fun time, drink every time the narration says some variant of 'real life isn't like a fairy tale' or 'there's no happy endings' or other edgy 14 year old things like that

i couldnt get more than an hour into the game due to this
The narration is done by Cinders herself, who is a teenager despite the art style making her look way older. I can see how it would be annoying though, so feel free to get buzzed from the thread. :guinness: (I don't actually know for sure if it gets better or not since this didn't stand out to me, but maybe that means it does.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

The narration is done by Cinders herself, who is a teenager despite the art style making her look way older.

I think the 'edgy 14 year old things' comment is directed not at the character, but at the writer. Like, he was going LOL IM SO WITTY every time he put in a line like 'this isn't a game, you know'. Could be wrong.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FredMSloniker posted:

I think the 'edgy 14 year old things' comment is directed not at the character, but at the writer. Like, he was going LOL IM SO WITTY every time he put in a line like 'this isn't a game, you know'. Could be wrong.
Right, I got that. I meant that I was able to buy into it for the above reason, while Endorph obviously was not. Which is all good.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have to say the narration is quite atrocious, for the simple reason that Cinders spells everything out. No one talks, or thinkslike that, and sspelling everything out so much is really unnecessary. If you feel the need to put so much exposition into the narrative, don't make it first person. Or, even better, find a way to tell the story without being so on the nose.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Thesaya posted:

I have to say the narration is quite atrocious, for the simple reason that Cinders spells everything out. No one talks, or thinkslike that, and sspelling everything out so much is really unnecessary. If you feel the need to put so much exposition into the narrative, don't make it first person. Or, even better, find a way to tell the story without being so on the nose.
I don't know what you're talking about. I think and talk like that all the time. :colbert:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Lokapala posted:

This right here

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

If you ask me, you should be the one dreaming of being rescued. It's obvious you hate your current life.

Watch your tongue! You don't know what you're talking about.

Don't I? When's the last time you were actually happy?

It's very thoughtful of you to worry about me, but if I were you, I'd pay more attention to your situation. I don't want your pity. And before you get any more foolish ideas, I think you should know that Mother is calling for you. She says she has a special job for you. No doubt something rudimentary enough for you to handle.

So you were sent here to fetch me, then.

Mother entrusts me with important tasks. Don't mistake me for being on your level. You wait here. I'll let her know that you've finally rolled out of bed.

Don't you ever get tired of all this?

Tired? What are you babbling about?

You try so hard to be like Carmosa. You dress like her, you speak like her... And yet, she still treats you as little more than a servant.

(And then Gloria just walks away.)

I can't believe it. Did I really just get her to shut up? I was expecting an insult at the very least. The room feels empty again. Even Gloria's presence is better than nothing. Truthfully, I feel bad for her. I may be the servant around here, but her situation isn't that different from mine. Both Gloria and Sophia spend every waking moment doing Carmosa's bidding. Just because it's not scrubbing floors doesn't mean they're not servants, too.

I swear, you feeble-minded girls are going to be the death of me. Bah! You've wasted too much of my time, already. I have a job for you. Go into town and find the merchant Tobias. I need you to pay him for a certain service. I'm giving you 200 sovereigns exactly. Don't you dare lose them! I must be a fool to entrust you with this much money, but unfortunately, I've no one else to send. I have better plans for those two useless daughters of mine. Now hurry up, child. Time is of the essence.

Shall we continue the sass?

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I will. Let's try to avoid getting ourselves in too much trouble here.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I will

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What service?

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
How about you tell me what service I'm supposed to be paying for, to minimize possible misunderstandings.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
It'd be nice to know what service you want us to ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
What service

• Locked thread