Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
What service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What if she refuses? :colbert:

...actually, no, just go with what service?

This doesn't seem like much of a situation to take a stand about considering what I'm sure they put her through every day. Though I'm honestly curious if there's a way to just go 'gently caress all y'all, not doing this anymore' and leave at any point.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I agree that the narration could use some work, but I am a complete sucker for variations of well-known stories so I am going to be enjoying myself.

Let's stay out of trouble for now and say we will.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mind your own business, child. There's no need for you to know. Why can't any of you girls just obey me without asking such vacant questions? Now hurry up and go.

I've never seen her this defensive. She must be hiding something. I suppose it could be worse. A trip to town isn't such a terrible thing. It's a beautiful day, and a great excuse to get away from the house. I won't even get in trouble for leaving as quickly as I can! Besides, Tobias has always been nice to me, so I'll enjoy seeing him again. This could be a rather pleasant trip.

For now, our only option is to go through the forest.

If the narration bothers you, you can at least enjoy the scenery. :allears:

I really miss our trips to the lake...

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 28, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Go to town. Again, operating on the theory that goofing off without excellent cause in an excellent way to get us in trouble.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nweismuller posted:

Go to town. Again, operating on the theory that goofing off without excellent cause in an excellent way to get us in trouble.

Go to town. Hopefully we have a chance to embezzle some of that money while we're at it.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Go to town and stay out of trouble (for now).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To Town!

We just wanted to make sure he didn't try to hoodwink us by selling us the wrong service step-mum :(
We know how easily lead astray we are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
On the theory that stepmom is going to find fault with us no matter what, take some me time at the lake.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

On the theory that stepmom is going to find fault with us no matter what, take some me time at the lake.

This

We're gonna be chewed out anyway so let's live a little.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Glazius posted:

Agreed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Glazius posted:

This. Some people will complain no matter what you do so gently caress it, do it in the manner that makes you happiest.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Let's just go to town. She might very well be still mad at us no matter what, but at least we'll have the moral high ground.

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

Why not take time off in town, after we're done with chores?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Go to town Ditch the money, THEN go visit the lake or goof off in town.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

D'aww.

As much as I'd love to visit the lake, I suppose I should head directly into town.

I should probably head straight to Tobias' shop. Hm... strange. What's that crowd over there? Everyone seems to be surrounding that building. I wonder if someone around here can tell me what's going on.

Excuse me, ma'am. Could you tell me what that crowd is for?

A bunch of good for nothin' thugs took their hideout there! Bastards kidnapped a child! I'm sure you know it's market day today. Lotta folk come into town to trade their wares, but there's also the unwelcome element, you know what I mean? One of the merchants caught some ruffians red-handed, stealing from him, like it's no one's business! So we naturally grabbed whatever pointy thing came in handy, and made sure these lowlifes know we don't take kindly to thieves in this town! But those scum grabbed a child and locked themselves up in that house. They're threatening to kill the brat if anyone tries to enter.

That's horrible!

Oh, the poor mother. Thank goodness, some lads noticed Perrault—the Captain of the Prince's Guard—drinking in the inn. A few men went to fetch him from the tavern. He grabbed that blade of his, and went into the house without saying a thing. I wish that good for nothin' husband of mine would be so brave. But he's only good for drinking and complaining, I tell ya. It's been silent like a graveyard in the night, since the Captain went in. Who knows what happened there! Oh, such awful times we live in.

That truly is sad. Thank you for telling me. I hope that child doesn't get hurt. If the Captain of the Guard plans to fight, it's sure to be dangerous in there. Wait, everyone stopped talking. Did something happen? Someone is coming outside...

This might seem like a really :downs: question, but with the trenchcoat plus the number of belts, it could go either way.

The child is safe now. Someone get rid of the bodies.

Everyone actually gets one of these splash screens when they're introduced, and I'll include those in the second post soon. For now, I wanted to show this one off so we can clearly see there are even more belts on his leg.

Wow! Did he just take care of an entire gang of bandits on his own? He acts like it wasn't even a big deal... He just disappeared without even waiting for any thanks. It feels as if he doesn't even care what anyone thinks of him. I'm intrigued to know what sort of man could do something so heroic, and yet remain so emotionless about the whole thing. It looks like the child has been reunited with his mother! What a relief. Uh oh. I'm running late now. I'd better go see Tobias right away.

I guess he was lucky those thieves didn't decided to rob this place instead of one of those poor merchants in the market.

I've just witnessed a terrible scene in the market! A group of brigands kidnapped a child and barricaded themselves in one of the houses.

Heavens! Did someone call the guards?

Luckily, the Captain was nearby and resolved the situation quickly. With his sword.

As messy as it may seem, that is his job. Glad to hear everyone's alright.

Not everyone. He killed all those men. I don't know how to feel about it.

You always had a gentle heart, Cinders.

Have you missed it?
:wink:

Well, it's been too long since you last stopped by, that's for sure! How have you been?

Much the same. Carmosa works me to the bone every day, and there are times when I wish I could just disappear.
:smith:

But I manage, and there are days that make me happy, like today. I'm so glad to see you again, Tobias. It looks like your shop is flourishing.

It does well enough. I hope you know that you can speak to me any time you want. We used to spend so much time together when we were teenagers. Now that we're adults, it seems like we hardly even catch a glimpse of each other. It's really a shame.

What do you know, I was wrong. She's not a teenager, apparently. She still acts pretty young though.

You're right. It feels like childhood friendships disappear once you mature. It's hard to keep them alive sometimes, even when you have the best of intentions.

Haha, such a true statement. But I assume you didn't come here just to remember the old days.

Sadly, no. I'm on an errand for Carmosa. I'm here to pay you for... Well, whatever it is she asked for. She's being very secretive about the whole thing.

Oh, that...

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 28, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tell me!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Ask him. He's a friend, not our tyrannical stepmother. It won't hurt to know.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Ask him!

Also, that's some bad vampire-related erotic fiction level of interest in the dear many-belted Captain. Oooh, so emotionless and heroic and shady he is! Can Cinders elope with him (and swiftly come to regret that decision)? :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is where we ask.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Lokapala posted:

Also, that's some bad vampire-related erotic fiction level of interest in the dear many-belted Captain. Oooh, so emotionless and heroic and shady he is! Can Cinders elope with him (and swiftly come to regret that decision)? :allears:
Maybe :swoon:. And hey, at least he actually kills some fools, unlike some other erotic vampires out there.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Let's be contrarian and let it go. Save the surprises for later.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Well, let's pry. Let's pry like we just invented the crowbar.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Time to work those connections. Ask.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

I'm afraid I can't tell you...

Why not?

Well, I promised Carmosa that I wouldn't tell anyone. I would like to keep my word.

I'm going to press the issue this time, otherwise this would be a rather pointless update.

That may be true, but I gave my word. Carmosa might not be honorable, but I certainly am, or at least trying to keep my standards.

Oh, but you can tell me. Remember how close friends we were as children? Why can't you just tell me? For old times sake?

I gave my word! A promise is a promise, and I intend to keep it. It's about keeping my honor, and it doesn't matter if Carmosa is a good person or not. Now please, don't ask about it again.

Fine. I understand. Anyway, Carmosa said that I was supposed to give you some money for this job.

That's true, but I'm surprised that she would send you to pay for it.

She said something about not having a choice. How much does she owe you?

Oh ho. Clever girl.

Hm... around 200 sovereigns, I'd say.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 28, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Haggle.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Full price.

She doesn't need the money. And since we skipped out on the lake, well.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Haggle it down. We still have to embezzle something.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It's going to be hard to haggle when we don't even know what we're paying for, but Tobias seems like a strictly-business type so I don't know if appealing to friendship will work any better. Well, at least he won't take it personally if we try to haggle, I guess.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Haggle. Screw Tobias and our stepmother. If we have to do this, we should get something out of it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not making any choices here, just wanted to say that I own and love this game. The characters are great, if a bit wordy.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Haggle. We tried to appeal to friendship just a minute ago and it did diddly squat.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hahaha, I wouldn't have guessed that you'd say such a thing.

So, 150 is fine?

Let's meet in the middle. How about 175?

Sounds good to me. Here's your pay.

You drive a hard bargain, old friend. You really have the makings of being a great merchant.

That wasn't a very hard bargain, but if you say so, buddy.

Thank you!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you're really not so different from Carmosa.

What? What are you talking about?

You tried to get me to lower the price, even though I'm your friend.

So? That doesn't mean I'm like Carmosa! That woman is cruel and manipulative!

I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. But you only see one side of Carmosa. Her life isn't easy, either. She's a single woman working to keep her house from falling apart. It's not an easy job, but she's very good at it. That takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice. I think you're a better person than she is, but you both have the same spark. You're clever, and you know what you want. You'd be a good leader.

I suppose you have a point. I never thought about Carmosa like that before...

People aren't simply good or bad, and those who do bad things usually have a reason for it.

You really are a wise man, Tobias. I've always liked that about you. I'm happy I could see you again.

The pleasure was all mine. I hope that you come again soon.

I'll do my best. Until the next time we meet, then.

Oh, I almost forgot!

What is it?

Please tell Carmosa that I'll fulfill my part of the deal soon, and she should expect my representative to come by sometime tonight.

Sure, I'll let her know.

Thank you.

Oh, and by the way: I had no idea you have 'your representatives' nowadays.

It comes with the trade, I guess. Start throwing coin around and suddenly, you find yourself surrounded with people eager to run errands for you.

Coin, you say? And I thought it had more to do with your magnetic personality?

Oh, people do tend to underestimate the pain caused by fast-flying cutlery.

There was a time in my life when I was forced to eat with my hands, but I prefer not to speak about it.

It may seem dumb, but having seen (and done) dork flirting in the wild, this scene is pretty much spot-on.

Haha! Oh, I've missed our talks, Tobias.

Me too, Cinders! Hope I'll see you again soon!

I hope so too. Take care, friend.

And I even have an extra 25 sovereigns for myself! I could stop by the tavern and treat myself with this money.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 28, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Bring them back. Better to invest in something for the long term than throw it away on a little bit of fun. Our time will come.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I bet Carmosa's reaction to having us show up drunk would be amazing, but let's be responsible and bring them back.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What's with all of you giving Cinders a protestant work ethic? Time to get wasted. We haggled that money fair and square.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bring back her mysterious package

we've won a small victory today, lets not ruin it with carelessness.

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012
We've done a good job so far, we deserve to get wasted. :colbert:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bring them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Carmosa was ready to spend this money, so she clearly can go without. We, on the other hand, deserve to go to the inn and get some juicy gossip. Or maybe even join an adventuring party!

• Locked thread