Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Ratzap posted:

Ah yes. My fire magic is at 10 buuuut I can't cast anything but the 3 L0 spells because I've not found any fire dust to research the higher ones and I can't yet kill the things that drop it.

You can sometimes find them under 'used' at certain NPCs. Alternatively I have some I can give you, what's your in-game name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
One day years from now when this game is popular people will ask us "why do your avatars look retarded?"

We will explain that we started in a time when you could not see yourself in character creation and had to blindly randomize your aesthetic.

We will be revered as God's imperfect creations.

In as Unc.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Project Gorgon: You botch the autopsy!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pesterchum posted:

You can sometimes find them under 'used' at certain NPCs. Alternatively I have some I can give you, what's your in-game name?

I thought they might end up there and I check vendor used tabs regularly - never seen any. If you have spares that would be great, I run as my cat - BuffyRodentslayer. What time zone are you likely to be around in?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I've nearly reached the sulfur stage of my research. Once I do I'll offer up any dust I come across

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

quote:

Words of Power, type in chat, one time use only
HOJLOLL / XXYTGLAN / UAQVHOE / NOQTRYN - Cure Bovinity (Stop being a cow)
ZUOMWIF / PLOOJIZ - Teleport to Crypt
YOZDREU / DECKPWOJ - Teleport to Goblin Dungeon (You can use this, and instantly exit to Etibule)
FOXOUI / LUOFROLL / LUCHFLIG / RIBBOV / TYGVAD / PLOECHOS - Teleport to Serbule
VARCHYR / CREQVOX / XXEEBAX - Teleport to Etibule
XELKAF / CRAMPWYO / EECKTWIRR - Instant Death (Instantly kills user and gives +500 xp to Death skill, when used for the first time)
MRAKTLYP / VYHWIN - Weak Max-Power Boost (Increases your power by 50 for 15 minutes)
WRYOSTEW - Weak Life Regeneration (+1/sec for 15 minutes)
FRUZBROB - Fast Swimmer
FWARRFEJ / PRURRXXUD / UACKCHROW - Increased Inventory (Increases inventory by 10 for 1 hour)

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Ratzap posted:

I thought they might end up there and I check vendor used tabs regularly - never seen any. If you have spares that would be great, I run as my cat - BuffyRodentslayer. What time zone are you likely to be around in?

I'll be on and off sporadically through the day on Aristhrottle starting from now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks again. We have the second page set up for these on Google doc, easier to track which ones have been used :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wAAImwbD1J0gwnwnDxR6FASnJzM9ghDdkNO3IsA372c/edit?usp=sharing

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

I think I found the new thread title.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pesterchum posted:

I'll be on and off sporadically through the day on Aristhrottle starting from now.

Heh, I was just going to hop on while I cook dinner but it appears I need to download again (ah, it was updated earlier today.) I'm on rural Scottish broadband so to paraphrase "I may be some time"...

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I have around 50 spare fire dust, and I'm willing to bet I'll collect a fair bit more due to where I'm currently farming. I can give some away but gold donations would be absolutely stellar because I am very poor. Look up Latinaprincess in game. (Usually around late night-early morning est)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
If anyone's stuck on that stupid pig snout quest let me know, I've got some extras saved up in the bank. Just send a tell to Mraaj if I'm on.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mushroom_spore posted:

If anyone's stuck on that stupid pig snout quest let me know, I've got some extras saved up in the bank. Just send a tell to Mraaj if I'm on.

I asked Mraaj if they had any pig snouts. They told me to meet behind the inn in a minute. Then a pig walks up to me and drops a pig snout on the ground :gonk:

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I asked Mraaj if they had any pig snouts. They told me to meet behind the inn in a minute. Then a pig walks up to me and drops a pig snout on the ground :gonk:

The reason I love this game

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's the perfect disguise. :getin:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lutha Mahtin posted:

:aaaaa:

e: also, i discovered the town lending library

There used to be a rumor in old UO that people who wrote in books, if they left them in shelves, would eventually multiply on their own and show up in shelves across the world.

I'd love to see something like that actually work in an MMO, but chances are it would quickly be swamped with animal erotica.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

wtsnaename posted:

I have around 50 spare fire dust, and I'm willing to bet I'll collect a fair bit more due to where I'm currently farming. I can give some away but gold donations would be absolutely stellar because I am very poor. Look up Latinaprincess in game. (Usually around late night-early morning est)

I didn't get back in yesterday but I could use 20 I think (L5 and L10 are 5 each x 2 dust IIRC) and I actually have some money for a change. I found some purple stuff lying in the middle of a field and a vendor with a couple of grand left willing to buy it. I kind of like the system of limited vendor cash but it can get annoying too. I'll try and hook up later.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

I kind of like the system of limited vendor cash but it can get annoying too.

Same here. But at least it offers another good reason to earn favor with NPCs that want expensive poo poo like gems. That stack of gems is worthless anyway if no one can buy it for six more days. :v: And now I can buy multiple tiers of ink and paper from that Sun Vale fairy, which is going to make continued gem-getting much easier.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You picked the wrong neighbourhood.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

xutech posted:

You picked the wrong neighbourhood.

I'm pretty sure there was a rat-person creeping on us around the corner of the inn, too.

Also, any IRC superstars want to set up a channel for this? Yeah yeah, :effort: on my part, but I don't know how to run a channel very well.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Also, any IRC superstars want to set up a channel for this? Yeah yeah, :effort: on my part, but I don't know how to run a channel very well.
What are you after? Slack makes a better app than IRC for chatting - it saves offline messages, you can set up separate threads within the group and its compatible with phones - but it doesn't have archives.

https://slack.com

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 4, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh, I thought for coordinating between online people without having to use the crappy builtin chat. just a suggestion, ignore me

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
hi lutha, jackard

i remember when this was barely existing past character creation, is it worth a dl?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
This is a really good game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh, I thought for coordinating between online people without having to use the crappy builtin chat. just a suggestion, ignore me
Yea, if you dont care about archives i would go with slack because you can have multiple channels and leave offline people messages

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

i remember when this was barely existing past character creation, is it worth a dl?

did you like morrowind? do you like dick jokes? try this game!

the combat is better than what i remember from morrowind (nb i only played that game for like 2 hours)

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the combat is better than what i remember from morrowind (nb i only played that game for like 2 hours)

I played a ton of Morrowind and the skill/level system is 110% better and combat is definitely also better (minus the ability to do really broken spellcrafting type stuff or use spears). Switching between spells in Morrowind is annoying as hell. I wish Gorgon gave you more spells per bar or the ability to have more bars, but it's still better.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Logged in to mess around on one of the alts I use as extra storage and discovered something interesting. You can bypass that horrible loving bear completely and learn/level Carpentry through one of Lawara's hang out options (the one about marionettes).

I believe animals can talk to Lawara(?), but the alternate method of learning Carpentry is still worthless to them since they can't harvest wood. Still, normal characters can skip that high-level death bear.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Not enough space? Here's your solution.

Grow beets.
Lots of beets.
Cook Beet + Bottle of Water = Baked Beets. It's just level 20, you can get there fast enough making bacon out of pigs at no cost (and give to the weapon guy for favor).

If you need bottles to make this growing thing easier, buy the antidote potions from Marna (30 coins) and drink them. Cheap instant bottle.

Give these baked beets to Marna as a gift. She gives about 41 favor each. That's 410 favor for a 10 stack.

Get your favor up super fast with Marna, all the way. If you find yourself broke, take the baked beets to Ert Keep in the middle of the map and some people pay full price for 'em. That's 1100 a stack.

What happens when you get your favor up with Marna? This isn't an 'open anywhere' bank, but it's a general, any-item-goes storage she gives you.. and I'm now going from Close Friends to.. let's see..
Soul Mates. That's the end, no more favor.

56 slots for storage.
Say goodbye to worrying about your bank slots being too expensive.

I currently have 28 bank slots, and it's 1300 to add one more. Now I can only put stuff in there that I might need all over the place, like quest items I'm sitting on until I go to whatever town.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Fairy outside Serbule has 19 saltpeter in the used tab right now, if anyone needs the stuff.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

glug posted:

Beet talk

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll spend what time I have left today growing beets :)

Is there a command to check if a particular player is on? Or only via friends/shouting?

Many thanks to Aristhrottle, hooked me up with a pile of dust.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll spend what time I have left today growing beets :)

Is there a command to check if a particular player is on? Or only via friends/shouting?

Many thanks to Aristhrottle, hooked me up with a pile of dust.

You can try using /t playername message and it'll return a player does not exist if they're offline.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
There's a "/who all" command that lists everyone on the server, as well.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
And that list doesn't really get above 40 so there ya go. When you look at your profile there is this I am [________________] box you can fill out, which shows up on the who list.

I propose we all prefix ours with GS so we know which of us is a goon. Gonna be a while before we all get in front of each other and hit Friend, so this'll help.

Another trick with gardening, my first skill to 50:

Grow cabbages.
Give them to me, thanks.

If you have no interest in alchemy, I'll give you a potion that I think vendors for 100 for 2 cabbages. The potion gives you +20 health regen for a minute, even in combat, so you can just keep it and use it, and when you use it you get an empty bottle back.

Grow me cabbage.

edit: 10 hours with Jack.

You completed the activity "Experiment with mushroom-based infusion recipes!"

Mushroom Jack says, "You remember anything? Nope, me either. I guess that concoction caused memory loss! But look at all the junk you're carrying. I bet we had fun."

80 favor with Mushroom Jack
1 Tuft of Fur
1 Power Potion
3 Butter

glug fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 6, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For gardening, don't forget that you can grow multiple types of produce at the same time. In my experience, going from 35-50 gardening just via cotton growing is super fast (because you can lay down up to 5 cotton simultaneously) and makes crazy bank if you sell it off to players. For fertilizer, you can grind skeletons outside the crypt or go to the mushroom dungeon. I think mushroom dungeon's slower but you could probably use the XP and other crap in there.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Mushrooms are also really good for various favor items. Heartshrooms are good by themselves for a few vendors, and you can double up by bartering them 1:1 for diamonds or enchanted holly seeds, 2hich trade to the same vendor for equal value potions.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I killed some panthers for this guy and he declared me an Old Sturdy Bastard. That is all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

According to global chat, it takes 5500 cotton to max tailoring, not counting the rep grind. I fear this number.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
All tradeskill seem like an incredible terrifying grind. Trying to get Leatherworking to an appreciable level has straight up taken two days of killing cows and begging a max level skinning knife off a maxed out player, will require a fair amount of time, about 80k councils, tannins notwithstanding, and a high level of favor. All in order to gain modest skinning and tanning skill. Then the real leatherworking begins, which requires high surveying and geology to make anything worthwhile. But all that said it's a good goal to strive for, because most people aren't masochistic dedicated enough to max it. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

Basically with regard to gear crafting, is there any way we could make a concerted effort to catalogue the different equipment skill modifiers so that we can determine good gear and the available modifiers in any given slot? If nothing else it'd be good to have a reference point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I discovered a neat thing with the double attack skill-bars: if you drag items on to them they kind of "stick". So say if you had Archery active, you could drag a potion onto a free spot, then later switch that bar to a different skill, and when you switch back to Archery that item will still be there. I don't know how robust this function is, but it's worked for me so far.

This was kinda useful after I realized half of the early sword skills aren't very good. Most of them have really high power cost for marginal effect.