Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

The Star Trek Adventure Game

After my Birth of the Federation LP I had a craving for more Star Trek and found this old game boxed up. I am simplifying this board game to turn it into a more straightforward Choose Your Own Adventure Game which should work for an LP. When played as a two player game the game has a board and you fly a number of ships around trying to win planets over. The game also includes Klingon assassins and Federation diplomats and random events. This would be hard to make work in an LP we are going straight to the meat of the game, the planetary explorations.

The game will pit two teams against each other: The Federation and the Klingons.

The game begins months after the "Battle" of Organia. The Federation and Klingon fleets met to decide the future of the quadrant.

Down on the planet Kirk and Spock fought a guerilla action against a Klingon occupation force until the native Organians revealed that they were powerful energy beings and, disgusted at the conflict, forced a peace. The Federation and the Klingons were forbidden to wage war and the Organian Peace Treaty imposed a zone between the two powers. Under the terms of the treaty outright conflict is not allowed but both sides move in to explore the planets and sway them to their side.

Resources

Each side possesses a starship for exploration, an assortment of officers, and a number of expendable security guards. Each officer has one or more abilities.

Federation

Starship Enterprise

Kirk:
Command
Seduction
Charisma
Personal Combat

Spock:
Logic
Science
Telepathy
Personal Combat

McCoy:
Medicine
Charisma

Scotty:
Engineering

Sulu:
Navigation
Ship Combat

Chekov:
Navigation
Science

Scotty:
Engineering

Uhura:
Communications

Security Redshirts: 6

Klingons

Battlecruiser Swift Victory

Koloth:
Command
Intimidation
Ruthlessness
Personal Combat

Korax:
Treachery
Lying
Science
Personal Combat

Valara:
Bravery
Telepathy

Kor:
Engineering
Ruthlessness

Gella:
Navigation
Ship Combat

Varozh:
Communications

Zhukov:
Navigation

Expendable Warriors in Cold Storage: 6

Important: Note that these are TOS Klingons. They are brutal, treacherous, and harsh in the style of stereotypical villains of the 60s and 70s and not the honorable warriors TNG eventually made Klingons into. They do have a sense of honor but it is of a different sort then that valued by Worf.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules

There are 40 planets in the game so 20 each. I will randomly select one for each ship to explore and then give you a briefing and your options. This will not be a particularly intricate game. If one group finishes up their planet first they wait until the other side finishes.

If you want to participate please Bold which side you want to join and then vote in bold. Sometimes you will have the option to select a landing party. In that case vote for one you want someone else has proposed or propose your own. When you make decisions you may have additional options available to you based on the skills of the landing party (and sometimes the skills of those left on the ship). Some options are also only available to the Federation or the Klingons.

After every 4 planets you get back two security guards and one dead officer of your choice. At the end of the game we will tally up how many planets are gained and their value and the gained reputation of each crew.

Some Tips:

There are results that kill the whole landing party so beaming down every officer you have is dangerous. It is usually a good idea to include a few security guards. Some events require you to lose a number of people and it is best to let the poor redshirts take the fall.

Many of the adventures are similar to those shown in TOS. Some are subtly or blatantly different even though they use similar characters. Please do not discuss the episode the current planet is based on or give advice based on it until after the planet is over. Feel free to vote based on that knowledge though. It might help. I cannot guarantee the planets will be distributed fairly. This is about the experience, not a ruthless test of skill.

If you have the game and decide to look up the answers so you can win an CYOA LP then Buzz Lightyear has some counsel for you:

"You are a sad, strange little man. And you have my pity."

Seriously, just don't.

Anyways on to the game!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Federation

Captain's Log, Stardate 2743.2: We are beginning our exploration of the Organian sector, which lies between Earth and the Klingon Empire. Although largely unexplored, it is neutralized by the Organian Treaty, so direct conflict with the Klingons is prohibited. With eager anticipation and high hopes, we start our search for peace and friendship...

Spock's report on the planet:

When previously contacted, Ekos was inhabited by a violent but primitive and highly intelligent people. A cultural and historical team had been sent to study it, headed by the well-respected Professor Katarian. Nearly two years ago, subspace contact with Katarian's team was lost. We have been sent to investigate

Assemble a landing party

Klingons

Surveillance Report, 3/45/Year 6 of the Reign: We are penetrating the Organian sector, which lies between Klinzhai and the Federation. Although largely unexplored, it is neutralized by the g'dyatin glowbug Organians, so war with the Federation is forbidden. With heads held high and eager for battle, we start our search for glory and honor...

Cestus III: On the outskirts of the Cestus system, our ship has been hailed by another space vessel. It is a large, delta-winged craft. The captain of the ship appears to be descended from an avian race - he has a beaked face and wings as well as small arms and clawed feet.

The captain announced that his ship was "Starship Farseer of Windhasten Clan". He asked us to identify ourselves, and we complied. He asked permission to board our ship for discussions. About 20 of the aliens arrived on a shuttlecraft. The alien captain listened attentively as we welcomed him aboard. Several of the aliens are armed.

What do you do?

A) Attempt to open Cestus III to trade with the Empire.
B) Attempt to persuade the aliens to join the Empire.
C) Attempt to capture the alien party.

A landing party for the Federation and a choice for the Klingons.

A)
B)
C)

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'll join the Klingons and say capture the aliens.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Klingons shouldn't waste time negotiating. Capture the aliens.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I'm with the Federation, and I recommend that Spock and 3 redshirts should beam down to investigate.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I'm going with the Federation, and I believe Kirk, Spock, and two redshirts should beam down to the surface.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Klingons should try to capture the aliens.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Klingons and Invite the Birdpeople to join us. By force (capture them!)

It is good that they split their forces so that we can capture many slaves!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Klingons should try to capture the aliens.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

nweismuller posted:

I'm going with the Federation, and I believe Kirk, Spock, and two redshirts should beam down to the surface.

Risking our captain by beaming him into unknown circumstances on a planet inhabited by an intelligent and violent species? Best to let the science officer with combat skills check in on the science teams on the planet. Kirk can beam down later if he is needed.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cartheon posted:

Risking our captain by beaming him into unknown circumstances on a planet inhabited by an intelligent and violent species? Best to let the science officer with combat skills check in on the science teams on the planet. Kirk can beam down later if he is needed.

On the contrary, by having Kirk in place we have an effective diplomatic team betwen the captain and science officer. And the security ratings can help protect our officers.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Don't forget this is a Star Trek TOS game; the standard away team is and should always be Kirk, Spock, McCoy, one red shirt, and then whoever else might happen to get a character moment this week.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Plus how can he seduce them from his ship?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Federation

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, 2 Red Shirts

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Federation

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and 1-2 redshirts

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I shall join the team with the most gold lamé. Space Puerto Ricans Klingons!

These beings have small limbs not suited to hard labor. They would be more valuable to the Empire as trading partners.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Don't forget this is a Star Trek TOS game; the standard away team is and should always be Kirk, Spock, McCoy, one red shirt, and then whoever else might happen to get a character moment this week.

Only after the initial away team of redshirts or redshirts and one star beams to the planet and have to flee for their lives or are all killed. That's when the big dogs beam down to the planet and take care of business. We haven't had the requisite number of deaths yet for the planet to be safe.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'll go Federation and we're gonna send down Spock, McCoy, Chekov, and Ensign Deadmeat.

Incidentally, how old is this game?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Federation and The Spock and McCoy Simmering Tension Hour with some Warm Bodies as filler.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Snorb posted:

Incidentally, how old is this game?

1985. I think I borrowed it when it from a friend in the late 90s and then never saw him again. If any of you lost this game to a friend and then unexpectedly had to move due to your dad changing jobs let me know. It might be yours.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Okay, on we go:

Mission 1, 2nd Decision

Federation

Kirk assembles with Spock and McCoy and beams down with two well-trained redshirts who are in way nervous at being selected for landing party duty. That whole "ship of death" rumor about the Enterprise is surely blown out of all proportion. The landing party quickly moves out to investigate.

Since last contact the people of Ekos have developed an advanced industrial society with a planetary government. We are disturbed, however, that this society contains elements borrowed from Earth history, including gladiatorial games, team sports, and Code Duello (rules for duelling).

What do you do?

A) Visit a rugby game and question people about Katarian.
B) Visit a gladiatorial contest and search for Katarian.
C) Contact the Ekosian authorities and ask for their help in finding Katarian.

Klingons

The order is given to capture the aliens.

The Gwynhyfarr, as the aliens are called, resisted but we overcame them. A single warrior was lost in the battle. When the alien captain failed to respond to hails from its ship the ship fled. To prevent them from learning of our actions our battlecruiser pursued and caught the ship and destroyed it in several bursts of disruptor fire. The alien captain was taken alive and, in the agonizer booth, revealed extensive information about the Gwynhyfarr homeworld and its military defenses. Our single battlecruiser could not conquer it alone but this data will help the Empire when the conquest is ordered.

The Klingons score +2 to their political score for gaining the intel and +2 to their reputation for their actions and lost one warrior. Cestus III will remain neutral.

The Klingons finished up early but that was a decent ending.

We will see how the Federation does.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
C Contact the authorities.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What does reputation do?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets ask some Rugby Hooligans.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

my dad posted:

What does reputation do?

In the full game whoever has more reputation at the end gets to take extra turns. In this version both of them combined will be used to determine victory. Planets also provide political point if they incline towards you afterwards or if they join the Federation or the Empire. The points vary depending on how developed the world is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Federation

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Klingons.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
edit - Federation

Go to the rugby. They're always an educated crowd.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 17, 2015

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Also voting rugby.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I missed the first update, but I'm still going to jump in before the next action and join the Klingons.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Federation I think that we should A, visit the rugby game. We should not go out seeking the authorities 'till we know more of them.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I am compelled to join the Klingons. Hopefully they will accept me, even though I am the bastard offspring of a Klingon spy and a Romulan diplomat. (Hence the haircut.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Terran Empire

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 1, Part 3

Federation

Kirk wanted to see the Rugby game and Spock and McCoy began arguing over the merits of athletic competition.

We visited a rugby game between the Kronos Killers and Damlin United. Damlin United won; after the game a riot broke out, as fans of the rugby rivals battled through the streets of the city.

Kirk takes Command and keeps the party together in the wild melee that follows. Eventually the team escaped to a bar where Kirk convinced the clientele that we are not fans of the Killers. They stood us a round of drinks. We learned that Katarian is Commissioner of the Ekos Planetary Rugby League.

We get directions after the riot dies down and meet with him.

Katarian said that he had to come to love Ekos, and, despite the Prime Directive, had wished to help the planet. He had introduced gladiatorial sports, team sports, and dueling as healthy outlets for their violent instincts. He was successful; warfare has ended. He is willing to return to the Federation to stand trial.

As we depart a normal post-mission discussion is held on the bridge where we weigh the merits of the prime directive. In this case it seems interference succeeded in helping. It is true that interference has destroyed cultures but have we learned enough to interfere intelligently?

The Enterprise crew gains +2 to Reputation and +2 to Political influence with the friends made but the planet will stay neutral.

What might have been?

Federation:

If you go to the gladiator games you show up at the television studio and are drafted into the fighting. If you have no one with personal combat 3 crew are lost. If you do have the skill you win and meet Katarian with the same results as the rugby game.

If you go to the authorities you are arrested as loons claiming to be from the stars. If you have logic you demonstrate your equipment and prove your story and get the result above. If you do not you are arrested but the news picks up the story of the arrested spacemen and the ship picks it up and beams you out. You lose Reputation and Political point.

Klingons:

If you attempt to open up trade the crew says they are not interested but other clans may be and you can send merchant to infiltrate their culture and gain 1 each Reputation and Politics.

If you try to convince them to join the Empire they are confused and it becomes clear they do not understand any form of government beyond their simple clan structure.

If you have science you figure out they have no stable government and can convince them to trade scientific parties. You can control what theirs see and you get spies. Same score as we achieved.

If you do not have Science then you misunderstand and refuse their request thinking they want to send in spies. The commander leaves in a huff but you learned that they have no central government which will make conquest easier and you get half the points (+1 to each).

No matter what happens West End Games reveals that this alien race came from another game of theirs. I have heard of the game but never played it. It is a 3-player wargame designed to avoid the "gang up" problem. A friend I know who has played it likes it. It is called "Web and Starship"

Scores:

Federation:
Politics: 2
Dead Officers: None
Security Guards: 6

Klingons:
Politics: 2
Dead Officers: None
Security Guards: 5

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 18, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 2, Part 1

Federation

892-IV: This system is the last reported position of the Blaze, a vessel in the Merchant Marine, commanded by an old friend of many of our crew.

A scan of probable orbits shows debris and wreckage. Spock and Scotty have examined the wreckage and and it appears to have been struck by a meteor when its shields were down. We have recovered the ship's log buoy which reports no chance of survival.

However, the inhabitants of this planet, who have developed a Roman-like culture, have recovered intact wreckage and is being worshipped as a manifestation from the gods. We have to recover them. What should we do?

A) We have a poor locational fix but we believe we can beam the artifacts up directly.
B) Beam down a party to sneak into the temple and steal the artifacts.
C) Beam down a party disguised as traders to buy the artifacts.

Note that in the latter two cases you will need to also select who to beam down.

Klingons

Taurus II: One year ago an Imperial starship left an anthropologist on the planet to study the indigenous population and determine the suitability of these people to serve the Empire. We have been ordered to the planet to contact him, find out how the mission is going, and provide supplies and any assistance he may need.

We arrived to find that Kohen, the anthropologist, has gone native and abandoned his studies. He is now the medicine man of a nomadic tribe and has polluted Klingon blood by taking a native wife. He has also begun to teach Taurians the secrets of rudimentary technology: the wheel, the lever, irrigation, and more.

He must be stopped. He is changing the culture of the planet and if the Federation finds out and tells the Organians there may be hell to pay.

We need to assemble a landing party and give them their orders.

A) Arrest Kohen.
B) Try to persuade Kohen to return to the Empire.
C) Kill Kohen.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
On 892-IV, we should Beam down a party disguised as traders, sending Kirk, Spock, and two security redshirts. Between Kirk and Spock's skillsets, we should be able to handle the challenges of working out an effective deal for the native culture.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Beam down Kirk, Spock, Scott and a redshirt and steal it all.

Kirk to seduce any ladies, Spock to mind scour some guards, Scotty to rig up a transporter transponder, and a red shirt to die when something goes wrong.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nweismuller posted:

On 892-IV, we should Beam down a party disguised as traders, sending Kirk, Spock, and two security redshirts. Between Kirk and Spock's skillsets, we should be able to handle the challenges of working out an effective deal for the native culture.

Joining the Federation and voting this.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm joining the Klingons and I say we send Korax, Valara, Kor, and two guards with orders to Arrest Kohen. We can kill him later, but interrogation comes first.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Kirk, Spock, and 3 redshirts will beam down to steal the buoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
A) Arrest Kohen. He may have useful information about the natives, despite going rogue.

• Locked thread