Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

my dad posted:

Korax, Valara, Kol, and the last expendable guard.

e: Oh, I remember those words now. This is gonna be a party wipe, isn't it?

I doubt the game has automatic wipes, but things could get nasty if we have the wrong skills.

In any case, I have the funny feeling that we're going to want Captain Koloth to hand this one personally. He can replace Kor. The rest can stay as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

legoman727 posted:

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and two redshirts are going to go for option C Just giving them metals that they can't reproduce are useless. May as well help them survive.

This one

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Episode 4, Part 2

Federation

Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam down to find a metal substitute.

An extensive analysis is done and Spock determines that some of the native soils, fired in the right combinations, can produce ceramics nearly as durable as metal. We teach them ceramic techniques which can function nearly as well as common metals.

We gain 2 Reputation, 1 Politics, and the planet is inclined towards the Federation.

Klingons

Korax, Valara, Kol, and the last expendable guard beam down to Eminiar VII to negotiate a treaty port while in a system supposedly at war but with no signs of said war.

We beam down inside a dome-like structure. A man calling himself Anan-Y-VII has met us. For some reason he seems quite disturbed by our uniforms. (What does he have against cheap shiny sci-fi costumes?) Anan informs us his leader has denied any possibility of building a port here. When we asked to speak to the leader we were informed that is currently impossible.

We refused to give up and were quartered for the night. During the evening we were visited by a succession of people in variously colored uniforms and each asking for something or offering evidence of treason against one of the others that could be used to cause "Friend Computer" to terminate them. The only things we are now sure of is that the entire planet is run by a computer at war with "Commie Mutant Traitors" and that the closer your uniform is to the ultraviolet end of the spectrum the more highly ranked you are.

What should we do?

A) Give up and leave.
B) Exploit a High Programmer's offer to exchange black market materials for a chance to talk directly to the Computer.
C) Accept the offer of a member of an organization called the Computer Phreaks to help take over the Computer.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Did.. did the Klingons end up in a game of Paranoia?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Are you loving kidding me? They did a Paranoia reference? Who published this game, again? :aaa:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Wait, what? :stare:
Well, it sure is gonna be a party wipe now.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 27, 2015

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Are you loving kidding me? They did a Paranoia reference? Who published this game, again? :aaa:

Yes, it was published by West End Games, at that time best known for Paranoia.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TheDavies posted:

Yes, it was published by West End Games, at that time best known for Paranoia.

Well, alright then. Good luck, Warriors of Kahless, you'll need it!

It's kind of a shame they didn't do the original episode for this one, though. It'd have been fun watching the Klingons muddle through the simulated wargame with real casualties. I'd expect them to solve the problem with an orbital bombardment. :black101:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It ounds like that may be the best option regardless.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

holy poo poo :laffo:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, when all else fails, go for seize power - C

Lets find out how this goes wrong.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

legoman727 posted:

Did.. did the Klingons end up in a game of Paranoia?

That's restricted information, TROUBLESHOOTER.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Well, alright then. Good luck, Warriors of Kahless, you'll need it!

It's kind of a shame they didn't do the original episode for this one, though. It'd have been fun watching the Klingons muddle through the simulated wargame with real casualties. I'd expect them to solve the problem with an orbital bombardment. :black101:

Each planet has a random roll. You have a 1/3 chance of getting the episode (if there was one for that planet) and then there are 2 other variants on the theme.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Given what I know about Paranoia, and the fact that we don't have any spare clones lying around, giving up doesn't sound like so bad a plan.

That said, we're Klingons and there is no way we're letting the drat Feddies win this one. Let's talk to Friend Computer maybe there's a way we can use our treachery.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Duckbag posted:

Given what I know about Paranoia, and the fact that we don't have any spare clones lying around, giving up doesn't sound like so bad a plan.

yeah. From an objective standpoint fleeing is the best option.

But we're not playing objectivists. WE ARE KLINGONS.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Duckbag posted:

That said, we're Klingons and there is no way we're letting the drat Feddies win this one. Let's talk to Friend Computer maybe there's a way we can use our treachery.

Naw, talking to Friend computer is just going to end with us dead. Let's hack that poo poo.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The Klingon way is to take everything over. Talking with Friend Computer would just get us dead, but if we control it, we control this planet. Federation doesn't have a planet under full control yet, this is what we need to get ahead.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 4, Part 3

Klingons

We were led to a secret room full of men with thick glasses and stringy hair, tapping away with on computer terminals. Their garments are orange, yellow, and green. They regard our black uniforms with distaste for some reason and call us "Infrareds". With our skill in Science and a tie-in to the ship's computer we alter the computer's programs with the help of the Phreaks.

Roll a d6 and add one if we have treachery (which we do). 1d6 = 3 +1 = 4

We suspected the Phreak leader of treachery so we secretly added proof of his treason to the data we fed to the computer. Soon Internal Security agents arrived and arrested him to be taken to a confession booth. The computer now accepts the Klingon Empire as Alpha Complex and the Federation are now labeled as Commie Mutant Traitors. This world is now a satellite of the Klingon Empire. Many Troubleshooters volunteer to serve the Empire and their R&D department has given us many pieces of advanced weaponry to use in the future.

We get 2 reputation, no political points, but gain 3 points for bringing a Type A planet into full alliance with the Empire.

What Might have been:

If the Federation tries to trade metal for membership they fail unless they have logic. If they have logic the planet will agree to incline towards the Federation and you get some points. If you do not have logic they attack to steal your advanced technology and you lose points and take casualties. If you try to trade with a merchant you need science or medicine to find local plants of value to succeed.

If the Klingons try to give up and leave a jamming field is put in place as the computer has not authorized you to leave and leaving without permission is treason. If someone on the ship has Engineering they can break through the faulty field. If you have Charisma and Intimidation you can convince the tribunal that you have treasonous dirt on them and secure your release. If you have nothing then the entire party is never heard from again and the planet signals the ship that the party was executed for treason and they recommend you activate their next clones. The planet can be summed up by one ending: "The inhabitants of this planet may be irredeemably deranged."

Scores

Federation:
Politics: 5
Planetary Alignment: 0.5
Total Score: 11.5
Dead Officers: None
Security Guards: 6

Klingons:
Politics: 3
Planetary Alignment: 4
Total Score: 10
Dead Officers: None
Security Guards: 3

After 4 missions both sides get one officer and 2 security back. The Klingons use both and the Federation need neither. I like to think that the Klingons now have two Troubleshooters in red jumpsuits aboard.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 5, Part 1

Federation

Elas: We are in orbit around Elas, a planet on the brink of war with its neighbor Troyius. A marriage has been arranged between the Dohlman of Elas and the Prince of Troyius, in hopes of averting the war. We are to take both the Dohlman and the Troyian ambassador to Troyius, giving the ambassador time to teach the savage Dohlman a few manners.

The Dohlman has come aboard. Through the Elasians are a warlike people she seems amenable to being taught by the ambassador. Three days out Troyius our sensors detect a warfleet on an intercept course. A message is sent to us: "We are the royal spacefleet of Troyius. Surrender the Dohlman to us or you will be destroyed.

What should we do?

A) Surrender the Dohlman
B) Fight the Troyians
C) Attempt to negotiate with the Troyians.

Klingons

Cygnia Minor: The planet is inhabited by hominids, goat-faced and sporting a pair of antennae. The culture is neolithic. Agriculture is extensive but the natives have yet to develop any metalworking technology. Near the east coast of the main continent, at the confluence of two rivers, is a huge city, through which are scattered giant step pyramids so large they can be seen with the naked eye from orbit.

Assemble a landing party.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Attempt to negotiate seems the obvious course.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Whoever we bring, Valara needs to be part of the team, as I suspect bravery will be useful on this planet.

I think
Koloth, Valara, and two warriors would be a good team.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aw yeah. that's OUR Friend Computer now. Will look into a team later.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Negoiate

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Whoever we bring, Valara needs to be part of the team, as I suspect bravery will be useful on this planet.

I think

Agreed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fight the Troyians

Also, my professional opinion about the Klingons' planet is that they use bribery.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How dare they try to kidnap a Princess? Fight the Troyians.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Negotiate

We're the Feds, not the Klingons! We talk first and shoot later!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This plus Kor

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The Federation must negotiate or what separates us from the animals Klingons?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 5, Part 2

Federation

We decide to negotiate. Stalling for time, we ask the Troyians what they hope to gain by holding a Federation starship hostage. They replied, "Do not concern yourself with our quarrels. Give us the Dohlman and leave."

We replied that we had orders to follow and could not deviate from them. It was a pretty stalemate.

Spock scanned the ships and used Logic to realize that the Troyian fleet had no chance against the weaponry and defenses of the Enterprise and they must have some other plan. Security was dispatched to the Dohlman. They arrived just in time to find one of the Dohlman's personal guard holding her at phaserpoint and preparing to beam over to the fleet. Security stunned the traitor and we launched a spread of unarmed photon torpedoes to scatter the fleet. Now it is up to High Command to straighten out the mess.

Gain 3 political points and 1 reputation and the planet stays neutral.

Klingons

Koloth and Valara prepare to beam down with 2 warriors. As we enter orbit a satellite of alien manufacture contacts us and says: "This is an experimental planet of Donatus & Quiglik Inc. All rights reserved. Trespassers will be prosecuted." There are two isolated cultures on the planet on two widely separated continents. One is urbanized and uses plains agriculture; the other builds pyramids and grows its crops along the banks of a huge river.

What do we do?

A) Beam party to urban civilization.
B) Beam party to river civilization.
C) Destroy the obnoxious satellite

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Destroy the satellite.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We should have shot those men, they were clearly jerks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

goatface posted:

We should have shot those men, they were clearly jerks.

Are you sure you're not a Klingon infiltrator?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Andorian, obviously. My antennae demand blood!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I dunno, l those antennae look pasted on. Are you an Orion? You can admit it, we don't judge here in Federation Utopialand.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, it's not like the Federation just assumes all beings from Orion are dancers or pirates, depending on gender. There's some perfectly lovely female Orion pirates.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

C Destroy the Satellite. I mean, why's that even a question?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, it's not like the Federation just assumes all beings from Orion are dancers or pirates, depending on gender. There's some perfectly lovely female Orion pirates.

It's those male Orion dancers you've gotta watch out for.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

What do we actually gain from destroying the satellite? Does it preclude us from contacting the civilizations afterward? It is a mystery. Some of the choices in this game are a little frustrating.

I'm going to say we should go to Pyramid land though. Just cus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Veloxyll posted:

C Destroy the Satellite. I mean, why's that even a question?

Qapla'!

• Locked thread