Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Duckbag posted:

What do we actually gain from destroying the satellite? Does it preclude us from contacting the civilizations afterward? It is a mystery. Some of the choices in this game are a little frustrating.

You get to be more Klingon? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Duckbag posted:

What do we actually gain from destroying the satellite? Does it preclude us from contacting the civilizations afterward? It is a mystery. Some of the choices in this game are a little frustrating.

I'm going to say we should go to Pyramid land though. Just cus.

yeah. It does seem like an odd thing. I mean, why exactly is destroying the satellite going to interfere with us beaming down to a site? We have a starship. We can multi-task, surely. Even if we do only apparently have a crew of 12 or so. Blowing up the satellite just seems like something the crew on the ship would do WHILE the away team was doing their thing planetside.

Obviously though, when you get the random act of violence, or pursing the assigned mission, you take the violence. It is more Klingon.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Land on the Pyramids. Because, come on, desecrating stuff is awesome.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Episode 5, Part 3

Sorry for delay. Real life gets in the way of important stuff.

Klingons

We fired on and destroyed the buoy. Suddenly an energy shield expanded outwards from the planet, smashing our ship outwards from the system. Our Navigation expertise kept the ship from being destroyed. All efforts to break through the shield fail.

We lose 1 reputation and 2 political points and the planet is neutral.

What might have been

If the Federation surrenders the Dohlman there is a 2/3rds chance they take her and leave and Starfleet orders you to next assignment. You lose political points but no reputation. There is a 1/3 chance the fleet will attack. If you have ship combat you defeat the fleet and gain a lot of reputation but lose political points. Without the skill you lose both and the planet leans towards the Klingons. In either case the ship is damaged.

If the Federation fights the fleet and has Ship Combat you win the fight and the government insists the attackers were pirates or rebels and the evidence supports the claim. Gain lots of reputation and some political points.

If the Klingons beam down to the urban civilization they meet less bloodthirsty Phoenicians. If you have no skills you find nothing of interest and leave. No change to anything. If you have command you find they have a sophisticated understanding of supply and demand provided by the god Donatus in his book "The Wealth of Peoples". You meet Donatus and find he is a powerful energy being and he and his colleague Quiglik disagreed over whether the scientific method or market economics are more vital to a primitive culture and founded two cultures to experiment. Klingons decide the planet is useless and leave and get minor points.

If you beam to the river pyramid civilization and have Science you meet Quiglik and his book "Knowing" which lays our methods of experimentation. You decide they are worthless as above.

Scores

Federation:
Politics: 8
Planetary Alignment: 0.5
Total Score: 15.5
Dead Officers: None
Security Guards: 6

Klingons:
Politics: 1
Planetary Alignment: 4
Total Score: 7
Security Guards: 3

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 6, Part 1

Federation

Halka: We have been sent to Halka to negotiate for the large stores of dilithium crystals this planet possesses. However, the Halkans are devoted to complete pacifism, and will not give up their crystals, believing they will be used for war.

Assemble a Landing party.

Klingons

Cheron: Cheron has never been contacted before. Radio astronomers in nearby star systems have noticed an outpouring of modulated radio waves from the planet in recent years. This is thought to be a sure sign of an emerging technological civilization.

As our ship entered the system sensors report the presence of heavy space traffic. Many ships travel between Cheron and nearby planets and asteroids. The Cheronian ships are powere by fusion - a primitive technology used by races before the development of warp drive. Our science officer reports that our shields can protect us from all detections systems in use.

What do we do?

A) Shields up and take up orbit around Cheron.
B) Shields up and capture a small Cheronian freighter for study.
C) Contact Cheron by radio and demand their immediate surrender to the Klingon Empire.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Joining the Federation and suggesting we send down Kirk, Spock, Scotty and a Redshirt. I figure we're going to need an engineer if we want to acquire Dilithium, in order that we get actual Dilithium and not something that's been painted purple. (Dilithium is purple, right? I remember that from somewhere...)

edit: It's pink. That'd be why I'm not sending myself down to get dilithium I guess.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, 2 Goons

That gets us pretty much all the skills except Engineering, Nav, and Ship Combat, none of which should matter much for a purely diplomatic mission. Probably it'll come down to Logic or Charisma, but it's good to hedge our bets.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Send Kirk, Spock, Uhura and a pair of redshirts. Kirk and Spock can do the old charisma-logic doubleteam, Uhura just deserves some shoreleave.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

jng2058 posted:

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, 2 Goons

That gets us pretty much all the skills except Engineering, Nav, and Ship Combat, none of which should matter much for a purely diplomatic mission. Probably it'll come down to Logic or Charisma, but it's good to hedge our bets.

This sounds excellent to me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Send Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty, and one redshirt. That covers most of the bases (except command) and means we don't run the risk of Kirk putting his foot in his mouth.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Arcturas posted:

Send Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty, and one redshirt. That covers most of the bases (except command) and means we don't run the risk of Kirk putting his foot in his mouth.

Exactly.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Xenocides posted:

C) Contact Cheron by radio and demand their immediate surrender to the Klingon Empire.

Yes!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Welp, we screwed that up. Ah well.

C Surrender to the might of the Klingon Empire!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I told you guys not to blow up that satellite (not that we apparently would have gotten much anyway).

I'm all for taking the freighter myself.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Well, that encounter was kind of rigged against us from the start, with no real "good" ending. (Although we did stumble into the worst result. :v:)

Still, I think our mistake was overconfidence. We found something out of place and did not investigate. This time, however, we have investigated, and found that they pose no threat to us. Once something is determined to pose no threat, the only rightful course of action is to put it out of it's misery.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

A bold declaration could backfire without sufficient intelligence. Capture a freighter for study.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 6, Part 2

Federation

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura beam down with 2 security guards. The negotiations continue but they stubbornly insist they will not let their resources be used for war. An approaching ion storm requires the landing party to beam up to the ship immediately for a time.

The transporter malfunctions, perhaps because of the ion storm, and has placed us in a strange parody of our own world. In this savage world the Federation resembles a pirate empire. Assassination and death are commonplace. Here, they plan to destroy the Halkans to seize their resources.

What do we do?

A) Work in secret attempting to duplicate the conditions that caused the transfer and return to your own world.
B) Openly ask the inhabitants of this universe for help since it is in their benefit to restore the natural balance.
C) Persuade the inhabitants of this universe to seek peaceful means rather then violent ones.

It is worth noting that if the Klingons get this one they find themselves on an unarmed ship where violent tendencies get you taken to a psychiatrist. They can choose to take over the Klingon Empire in this alternate universe and succeed with ease.

Klingons

We located a small one-man prospecting ship and intercepted it and easily captured it. He resisted capture and killed one of our warriors before being caught. He is a shapeshifter; he can only assume quadrupedal forms and cannot change in size but with these restrictions can assume virtually any shape.

We intercepted frantic messages from Sht'kl'p space control to the missing prospector. Several ships from nearby asteroid colonies are heading towards us to find the missing ship. The Cheronian ships are far too slow to catch us if we flee.

What should we do?

A) Flee
B) Stand the Fight
C) Drop our shields and explain things to Space Control.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that we, as Federation heroes, have to flee like cowards in an attempt to escape with our skin and do A.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Are we not Klingons? Let us stand and kick their asses!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Federation, A. And I told you we should have taken Scotty!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
B

It is a good day to die! :black101:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They will fall before us.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Federation, A. And I told you we should have taken Scotty!

Whoops. :shrug:

Well, hell, we're big drat heroes. Let's save a universe!

Federation C

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Qapla! :black101:

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Federation C. Clearly this is going to work. Clearly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Federation C since we have the argument firepower to make them see that peace is best.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Federation B because we have good Logic and Communications on our side.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I see which way the wind is blowing. To arms!

Seriously, what are the odds that we'll do anything besides charge blindly into battle?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Duckbag posted:

I see which way the wind is blowing. To arms!

Seriously, what are the odds that we'll do anything besides charge blindly into battle?

These are the OG Klingons we're talking about here, so there's always room for underhanded scheming.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 6, Part 3

Federation

We cautiously introduced the concept of peace to this savage Empire "Federation". The opposition is almost religious in its intensity.

Using the Captain's Charisma and Spock's logic we see some hope. Although we had to appeal to their greed to do so, some of the crew are beginning to see that such a violent society is doomed to destruction. We left believing that the Halkans of that Universe will not die and returned to our own. On hearing our story the Halkans agreed to limited trade.

We get 2 Reputation, 2 Political points, and the planet is inclined towards the Federation.

Klingons

We destroy the pursuing ships. The planet retaliated with orbital laser platforms. While primitive they are incredibly powerful and the ship was forced to retreat to avoid the lasers penetrating our shields. We lose 1 Political point and the planet inclines towards the Federation.

What Might Have Been

If the Federation had tried to find a way home you need Charisma or Personal Combat. If you have those you get home and get a reward...though a lesser reward. If you do not have either you lose 3 people. If you request aid openly and have Logic, Science, and Engineering you can convince them you are a danger to their Universe and they send you home. If you do not have all three you are arrested and lose the whole landing party. There is a path on this planet where the Klingons are arrested and taken to a very comfortable sanitarium and humanely treated and they lose their landing party.

If the Klingons had put up their shield and gone into orbit you find out war has not reached the planet for 3 centuries. They eventually find the ship and attack it with lasers unless you have Communications. If you have Communications you find out that they are a neat and orderly society and to alleviate their wariness you leave and reenter the system openly. Space control orders you to go to a gas giant. If you go they hold a media debate over whether to let you in and let your captain speak. If you have Charisma, Logic, Lying, or Intimidation they become inclined towards the Empire. If you refuse to go they attack.

If they capture the freighter and flee you lose reputation for cowardice. If you capture the freighter and then contact space control they demand the immediate return of their prospector and his ship. If you agree they demand an explanation and if you have Charisma or Lying you explain away the incident and they become inclined to the Empire. If not they compel you to leave.

Finally if you contact them openly and demand their immediate surrender they fire their weapons and you get the result we ended up getting.

Scores

Federation:
Politics: 10
Planetary Alignment: 3.0
Total Score: 22
Security Guards: 6

Klingons:
Politics: 0
Planetary Alignment: 4
Total Score: 6
Security Guards: 3

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 22, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Episode 7, Part 1

Federation

Excalbia: Excalbia is an uncharted planet with a poisonous atmosphere and extreme surface temperatures. While conducting a routine survey we were subject to a swift and deep probe of our computer system. Then, before us on the viewscreen appeared an image claiming to be Abraham Lincoln, asking permission to come aboard our ship.

We received Lincoln aboard with full Presidential honors but he breathlessly explained that he was being pursued and he would explain later but that we must leave the system immediately. Although suspicious the captain ordered a course out of the system. As the navigator laid in the coordinates illusions of strange asteroids appeared. We cannot tell anymore what is real and what is not and moving the ship would be dangerous.

What do we do?

A) Attempt to navigate through the illusory asteroids.
B) Attack the planet in the hopes of ending the illusion.
C) Take no action and question Lincoln further.

Klingons

Dimorus: We are in orbit around Dimorus, a primitive cold world inhabited by a pre-gunpowder civilization. Previous surveys indicate that a number of medicinally useful herbs grow on the world. We are under orders to disguise ourselves as local traders and to obtain samples of the herbs. It is hoped that with samples the Imperial Science division can synthesize the chemicals they contain.

Assemble a landing party.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A- Don't tell me the odds, kid.

Xenocides posted:

Episode 6, Part 3

Federation

We cautiously introduced the concept of peace to this savage Empire "Federation". The opposition is almost religious in its intensity.

Using the Captain's Charisma and Spock's logic we see some hope. Although we had to appeal to their greed to do so, some of the crew are beginning to see that such a violent society is doomed to destruction. We left believing that the Halkans of that Universe will not die and returned to our own. On hearing our story the Halkans agreed to limited trade.

We get 2 Reputation, 2 Political points, and the planet is inclined towards the Federation.

"Hey guys, we totally just saved your planet in an alternate hell future where people are terrible and also wear goatees and handlebar moustaches. Look at how awesome we are for saving you in this totally real timeline!" :D

"Awesome, thanks for totally saving us in that other timeline! We believe you and thus want to trade with you because of your actions in a place we neither know of nor can look at!" :downsbravo:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Slaan posted:

A- Don't tell me the odds, kid.

"Hey guys, we totally just saved your planet in an alternate hell future where people are terrible and also wear goatees and handlebar moustaches. Look at how awesome we are for saving you in this totally real timeline!" :D

"Awesome, thanks for totally saving us in that other timeline! We believe you and thus want to trade with you because of your actions in a place we neither know of nor can look at!" :downsbravo:

I like to think they brought a goatee cut from the face of an alternate as proof.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So what's the breakdown on the alternate paths for that episode?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Xenocides posted:

Klingons
We lose 1 Political point and the planet inclines towards the Federation.

Somewhere, a Klingon commander thinks silently, "Maybe this 'blow everything up' strategy could use some tweaking."

We should bring Command for presence, Lying for what can't be awed, Science because that's literally what we're here for, and Communications so we can do trade in service of our guise as traders. Koloth, Korax, Varozh, and all 3 meatbags.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

So what's the breakdown on the alternate paths for that episode?

Oop, I typed them up and did not paste them in. I edited them into the post.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Federation

"Okay Lincoln, talk!"

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, fed. C.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Feddies C

"Lincoln, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Somewhere, a Klingon commander thinks silently, "Maybe this 'blow everything up' strategy could use some tweaking."

We should bring Command for presence, Lying for what can't be awed, Science because that's literally what we're here for, and Communications so we can do trade in service of our guise as traders. Koloth, Korax, Varozh, and all 3 meatbags.

This, but only two meatbags.

• Locked thread