Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What was the last big AAA commercial failure we've had? I think we're overdue for another

Nothing really. I mean there's been plenty of horrible games but none of them has been a failure financially.

I guess it's really loving difficult making a new IP like the order since they've spent five years on this -- one year for each hour of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

abagofcheetos posted:

Neogaf never disappoints.

What kind of girlfriend charges you money for a blowjob-

ohhhhh I get it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What was the last single player exclusive game with a review embargo like this?

Pretty much whatever the last single player exclusive game was. Seriously embargoes are so routine that it's pretty remarkable when a game doesn't come with one. This one also expires the day before, instead of "three hours after the game launched" like some notable Ubisoft clusterfucks.

I'm not commenting on the quality of the game itself one way or another, I'm just saying "you shouldn't read too much into the embargo".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What was the last big AAA commercial failure we've had? I think we're overdue for another

well that depends on your definition of failure, if you mean critical failure as opposed to financial then Ubisoft had a lot of that last year. I can't remember how Titanfall did in terms of commercial revenue and I'm sure Evolve made its money back with its bullshit DLC.

Mash posted:

i'm just too proud to put him on ignore

lol

Der Shovel posted:

Well, reviews are embargoed about 99% of the time. The Order's embargo actually expires the day before release so it's more lenient than many.

Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition were among a handful of bigger games last year that did reviews somewhat in advance. It's really not so rare and the odds of a game being poo poo are twice as likely if they deliberately lock embargo so people won't know if it's poo poo or not. Luckily this sounds like it's not worth $60 so you can freely spend that on a preorder of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Hakkesshu posted:

Proof of concept of what, though? A steampunk third-person shooter? It's not like they're doing anything new here, there's no good reason for this coming out as half-assed as it looks.

The game really seems to me (and others before me) like it started out as a bunch of game developers making some really pretty CGI cutscene, showing it to Sony, then tacking on the rest of the story and some gameplay.

I'm not saying they're doing anything new or that the quality of the game (which sounds pretty bad) will be justified, I just think that Sony spent too much money on a 6 hour shooter with MGS4-length cutscenes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dying Light had a weird embargo where they didn't send out review copies at all so scores didn't pop up until a few days after the came had come out and it turns out that wasn't a warning sign or anything since that game is pretty good.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

Dying Light had a weird embargo where they didn't send out review copies at all so scores didn't pop up until a few days after the came had come out and it turns out that wasn't a warning sign or anything since that game is pretty good.

That would be the idiots at WB. Did the same thing to Shadow of Mordor.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Luckily this sounds like it's not worth $60 so you can freely spend that on a preorder of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
kirby is only $40 :)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Awesome! posted:

kirby is only $40 :)

Please keep kirby related discussions in the kirby thread so as not to trigger PS4 owners when they want to view news related to a PS4 exclusive title.

In The Order 1886 news,

Officially Safe to Click Article posted:

After what seems like eons since it was first announced, The Order: 1886 is finally going to land on store shelves this week. Considering the long list of video game delays lately, we did ourselves a little happy dance when we heard that the title had officially gone gold.

The Order: 1886 is undoubtedly one of the most talked about PS4 exclusives, and we at PlayStation LifeStyle are among those eagerly awaiting its arrival. With its release right around the corner, we’ve compiled the gallery below which contains all the information that you need to know about the title.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Many reports are stating its less than 5 hours long.

For me personally i dont care if game is 2 hours or 5 hours or 30 hours long because i take my time with video games, i like exploring the world, i love to explore every inch. if the game is 5 hours long and has a great story and a great gameplay and a world i want to explore fine i have no problem with that its better then tacking on bullshit we dont need. i never finish games in the time it says because i always take my time and explore because i dont rush through my video games that is not how i play video games because if i did i could problly finish a lot of my video games sooner.

I dont see the need to rush through the video, just to say i finished or i finished it first i want to take in the world and it is a beautiful game then i want to look at that game. so who cares f someone got the game first and finished the game in 5 hours. i sure if you rushed through a lot of games you could go through a lot of games in 5 hrs but that isnt how i play video games i want to explore in my video games and take my time.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
well said

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More games should only be 5 hours long so my backlog could get a little relief.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Thanks for your input Anime Curator. I'd say the best way to ensure PS4 owners get more exclusive titles like The Order 1886 is to vote with their wallets. If you didn't see, there is a collector's edition of The Order 1886 available. The Collector's Edition include a statue you can explore in addition to the game itself.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Carew posted:

i watched a playthrough of this on youtube and if you don't count all the qte "interactive cutscene" garbage you spend about 2 hours and 10 minutes of a 6-9 hour game watching movies. also there are multiple chapters which are seriously 100% movies

edit: also they're all unskippable

How bad was MGS 4 again?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheany posted:

How bad was MGS 4 again?

It was pretty drat bad even by MGS standards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wheany posted:

How bad was MGS 4 again?

Not good.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Wheany posted:

How bad was MGS 4 again?

It was amazing. But you could only play it for 5 minutes at a time before a 30 minute cutscene kicked in.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MGS4 had some fun gameplay elements with two-ish levels large enough to play almost freely. Everything else was gimmick sections, loading screens and cutscenes. And until the last patch, installation.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Yeah, I meant the ratio of gameplay/cutscene.

It was pretty close to 1:1, with cutscenes having a slight edge, iirc.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

PS4 owners please do not look at the following clickbait

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-A8v9-IgAAi00R.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-A8wGRIUAA0n1Y.jpg

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

For me personally i dont care if game is 2 hours or 5 hours or 30 hours long because i take my time with video games, i like exploring the world, i love to explore every inch. if the game is 5 hours long and has a great story and a great gameplay and a world i want to explore fine i have no problem with that its better then tacking on bullshit we dont need. i never finish games in the time it says because i always take my time and explore because i dont rush through my video games that is not how i play video games because if i did i could problly finish a lot of my video games sooner.

I dont see the need to rush through the video, just to say i finished or i finished it first i want to take in the world and it is a beautiful game then i want to look at that game. so who cares f someone got the game first and finished the game in 5 hours. i sure if you rushed through a lot of games you could go through a lot of games in 5 hrs but that isnt how i play video games i want to explore in my video games and take my time.

Cool. Hope you enjoy this middling, but mercifully brief game :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imagine how good you'll be at it the second time tho.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

lol this is loving garbage

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Ghosts do the exact same thing? Do devs really think people wont notice, considering the game is going to be watched a billion times over on Youtube?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hakkesshu posted:

Cool. Hope you enjoy this middling, but mercifully brief game :)

that was not a serious post :ssh:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Awesome! posted:

that was not a serious post :ssh:

Well I'm pleased

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
press x to stab warwoof

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Wheany posted:

How bad was MGS 4 again?

It's really good

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I like how it still has the tutorial up for basic attacks. It's almost as if you haven't been playing long enough to figure out the attack controls

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Golashes posted:

I like how it still has the tutorial up for basic attacks. It's almost as if you haven't been playing long enough to figure out the attack controls

those are the qte triggers

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Personally if a game's longer than 5 or 6 hours I usually lose interest and don't bother finishing it so I don't see the big deal about the length. Who cares, play a game beat it move on. The price is an issue yes but surely it will be cheaper in not so long. As for the quality it's probably a perfectly serviceable 3rd person shooter, I don't know.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Here's the video those screencaps are from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4e3Xyh1dE

Wandle Cax posted:

As for the quality it's probably a perfectly serviceable 3rd person shooter, I don't know.

I agree, and from the looks of it The Order: 1886 will doubtlessly dethrone heavyweight Beyond: Two Souls from the title of greatest third person shooter.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If a game wants to be a movie that's fine, but I'm going to judge it on movie terms then, ie cinematography, script, acting, editing, etc. I'm going to ask questions about creative decisions, like "why this movie is rendered in real-time on a PS4, instead of filmed in live action or pre-rendered all the way through". This looks like a bad movie, and I would scroll past it on Netflix.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Order is a superior experience on ps4 compared to the Xbox one version which does not exist. Suck it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

echronorian posted:

The Order is a superior experience on ps4 compared to the Xbox one version which does not exist. Suck it.

I think that's actual points towards Xbox.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The biggest strength of The Order is that it's an exclusive. That's some wack poo poo though because the biggest strength should be that it's a good game.

I think if a game is going to insist on its story then fine, get judged for your story. And guess what, pre release the story has already been dissected and digested and declared corny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What if The Order ends up being as good as Uncharted, another game where you don't have skill trees or anything and just shoot your way from cutscene to cutscene?

Because I've only played each Uncharted game once and only played a bit of the MP in 3 and those are still games it's OK to like

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

precision posted:

What if The Order ends up being as good as Uncharted, another game where you don't have skill trees or anything and just shoot your way from cutscene to cutscene?

Because I've only played each Uncharted game once and only played a bit of the MP in 3 and those are still games it's OK to like

Uncharted doesn't have three hours' worth of gameplay per game or recycle its final boss fights from some random mook you met earlier in the game.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
its kool that there's still gamers out there who want the poo poo steam punk game to be good that even though it's 5 hours long and uses recycled fights they're like, well, maybe it's actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is making me nostalgic for the early days of the PS3 when people were expected to get hyped about a story-driven FPS about a bee-themed megacorporation fighting guerilla rebels with the big twist being that the megacorp was evil. Also the theme song was by Korn.

It must be nice for the console warriors to finally having something to mock the PS4 for after two years the Xbone and WiiU being wastelands of lackluster ports and disappointing sequels at least.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread