Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Panzer Skank posted:

Also just one last aside that for some reason this is the only app I've ever seen that doesn't show a frozen state on the app management screen. Usually there's supposed to be like a small thumbnail of whatever application there, but instead it's just a transparent gray box?

It shows if you have the app management screen horizontal, though none of my other horizontal games have that issue so it's still not right.

Pretty much agreed on all points, though. Since you made it to the first well point it sounds like you got as far as I did before it became too frustrating to get any further.

Panzer Skank posted:

Edit: VVVV I don't know how I failed to mention that but yeah, it totally plays the same goddamn song, super loud and on repeat. Forever.

To be "fair" that's just in the overworld. During gameplay it just plays a series of "spooky" low-pitched notes.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, it's a tad bit hard to hear in my video but it's exactly the same music that's in Nanashi no Game: Me's platforming sections; though if you're curious this video also has pretty much what the game is like in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xngoVNRntU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Come on ride the train, choo-choo, ride it!

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 26, 2015

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I'm trying to remember some of the recent LPs you did, Niggurath. I think the last one you did was Fatal Frame 3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, I'm actually legit surprised some enterprising soul hasn't made a haunted app type thing like the good Nanashi No Game one here in the US.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
e: nevermind! Also that gif is alarming. :catbert:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I guess I misremembered about the achievement. :saddowns: Alas. The achievements just seem to be one for unlocking every section, then one for full-clearing it. Good luck with those.

The method of control used for the "overworld" in 774 is the same used for Nameless App, too. So while it's clunky and obtuse in 774, imagine trying to use it when you actually have real obstacles and enemies. Not very fun.

If you want to see how bullshit the levels in 774 are, this is a huge page showing off the levels (though the graphics don't match up and the moving blocks/blades are missing). Of note are the lighter invisible blocks and the dimmer pass-through blocks in some stages; secrets that you literally have no way of finding out other than lucky guesses.

Here's one of the stages from the final section, and it's complete bullshit. One gently caress up on any of these jumps and you have to start the entire stage over.

quote:

As you can guess a $10 game didn't fare so well on the mobile market, so Square Enix pulled the entire thing down and replaced it with 774 Deaths. It's a really sad end for a super great IP. I hope they end up doing something more with it cause drat this sucks.
I'm not entirely sure but at least in some places it looks like the original game is still available, they just split it off like the two DSiWare side-games. Hard to tell due to region locking stores, though.

fake edit: ooh, new update :neckbeard:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

HR12345 posted:

I'm trying to remember some of the recent LPs you did, Niggurath. I think the last one you did was Fatal Frame 3.
Hmmm, well since Fatal Frame 3 I've done: Enemy Zero, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Nanashi no Game, The Swapper, and Year Walk. I've never stopped making them or posting here, I'm just easy to miss.

edit: Also just out of curiosity, the banners read alright, right? Like you guys can easily tell that there are two separate videos there for the split paths and stuff?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 25, 2015

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

Oh, it definitely does Coleman. Though if you want to talk about real cash grabs, there were also two DSi titles released around the same time as this game and it was seriously just platforming sections with no story....and then there was the mobile game 774 Deaths which got a US release and was more Nanashi, but still was just the bad platforming sections. Now those are definitely cash grabs.

And I'm sure at some point Panzer will enter the thread and talk about her poor experiences trying to play 774 Deaths, cause apparently it's super horrible.

I played 774 Deaths too! It's awful! I cannot finish it! I hate it!

... It's kinda addictive in an IWBTG way, I guess.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Niggurath posted:

Hmmm, well since Fatal Frame 3 I've done: Enemy Zero, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Nanashi no Game, The Swapper, and Year Walk. I've never stopped making them or posting here, I'm just easy to miss.

edit: Also just out of curiosity, the banners read alright, right? Like you guys can easily tell that there are two separate videos there for the split paths and stuff?

I didn't even realize there were two links. I'd suggest adding some subtle border or decoration between the two, along with maybe something like "A: Ooyama's House" / "B: Metro Station".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I didn't realize there were two links either. :blush: Maybe a border on the images or an A-side, B-side indicator?

e: woops, didn't read that previous post fully... So I guess I 2nd those suggestions!

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 25, 2015

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Same here with the split.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

I didn't even realize there were two links. I'd suggest adding some subtle border or decoration between the two, along with maybe something like "A: Ooyama's House" / "B: Metro Station".
But there is text there? I just figured people would click on the names of the parts. But I'm working on trying to figure out how to split them.

VVVVVV
But it is a description and the title of the video? But yeah, minor edit done to the chapter banners so that hopefully that difference can be seen better.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 26, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It reads like a title or description, rather than an indicator that there are two links--at least it looks that way to me.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
At least Ooyama died happily. :v:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Excellent. More horror game shenanigans. :allears:

I like how they're making better use of the split-screen this time around. Also, I wonder if Davey's eye looks any different to other people? Like, does it look at all mutilated to the casual viewer after getting stabbed by a vengeful ghost lady, or do they only have his word to go on?

It's neat how drastically different (aesthetically) the two paths were. So, does your ending change depending on which paths you take, or is it based on your performance in each path?

e: I also noticed that Davey's in-game avatar changed after he died the first time. That's a neat touch, but I wonder if there's actually any significance to it.

Niggurath posted:

Aw, I think I missed some of those. I'll have to go back and find them.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Excellent. More horror game shenanigans. :allears:

I like how they're making better use of the split-screen this time around. Also, I wonder if Davey's eye looks any different to other people? Like, does it look at all mutilated to the casual viewer after getting stabbed by a vengeful ghost lady, or do they only have his word to go on?

It's neat how drastically different (aesthetically) the two paths were. So, does your ending change depending on which paths you take, or is it based on your performance in each path?

e: I also noticed that Davey's in-game avatar changed after he died the first time. That's a neat touch, but I wonder if there's actually any significance to it.
It's pretty much setup like there first game where we have to collect something to obtain a different ending and there is no way to obtain everything you need from one play through, so there's plenty of chances to see both paths (though it's not totally necessary to get everything). But for the most part it's worth playing through all pathways in the game just to get the full story and since it does allow quite a bit of variety, especially with the upcoming day.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This is normally what I karaoke to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WmvGws_1w

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Long ago (years), I once tried to get the gist of the story by manually copying and pasting the Katakana and Hiragana into Google Translate for the RPG sections (and even then, only the more interesting-looking parts). This section always proved a huge roadblock for reasons you can probably guess, and it's great to finally understand what's going on. Especially when you consider that Ooyama probably came through the place and spread the game throughout it, it's a nice parallel for what happens in the game, too.

I'm interested in seeing that extra video, though.

(Also, after about 2:00, you say Kawagoe instead of Ooyama in regards to the dead person terrorizing through computers :v: )

And something I just noticed:

:raise:

E: Huh, on the first day Ren is always on the left screen in the scene using this as a background, while on later days she usually only shows up while talking. I wonder if they were doing that to hide it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:kiddo: I don't get it. Are those handprints? Or artifacts from her being erased from the image by a lazy graphics person?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RedTonic posted:

:kiddo: I don't get it. Are those handprints? Or artifacts from her being erased from the image by a lazy graphics person?
If you're talking about that above image; it's probably just a graphic problem/emulation problem, and not anything to be inferred into.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
Looks like the graphic was called up accidentally, since it's usually much bigger and white.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

If you're talking about that above image; it's probably just a graphic problem/emulation problem, and not anything to be inferred into.

Thanks. :shobon: Wasn't sure if I were being slow there or what.

I think this current update may be my favorite part of the nanashi games so far. The scenario the town is facing is both cartoony and frightening--genuinely spooky without reverting to some of the cheap ways a lot of writers use to indicate that someone or something is eeeevil.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Maybe I'm just seeing things, but it looked like a pair of handprints on the back wall. :v:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but it looked like a pair of handprints on the back wall. :v:
There were more important hands to deal with in this update: http://lpix.org/1924148/NanashiDeath.gif

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Niggurath posted:

There were more important hands to deal with in this update: http://lpix.org/1924148/NanashiDeath.gif

I'm glad the hand-in-toilet guy from Majora's Mask found more work. :unsmith:

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Had no idea this had a sequel. I watched an LP of the first game and enjoyed it quite a bit, so looking forward to setting aside time for this one.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Niggurath posted:

I'm kinda up in the air as to whether or not this counts as a cheap death. On the one hand, by the time you've identified the threat, it's too late. But on the other hand, you do have the left eye freaking out, and the really suspicious blood-covered locker...

I guess I feel like it should have released a difficult to avoid Regret, or something, instead of outright killing you.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

RedTonic posted:

Thanks. :shobon: Wasn't sure if I were being slow there or what.

I think this current update may be my favorite part of the nanashi games so far. The scenario the town is facing is both cartoony and frightening--genuinely spooky without reverting to some of the cheap ways a lot of writers use to indicate that someone or something is eeeevil.

the rpg game segaments are really well done in this one, and the scenarios actually seem like something you'd see in an actual rpg game.and then something in the game decides to get mad and gently caress it all up horribly. Kinda interesting twist that the people who died in the previous story are just hanging out in the rpg and helping the player.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Tengames posted:

the rpg game segaments are really well done in this one, and the scenarios actually seem like something you'd see in an actual rpg game.and then something in the game decides to get mad and gently caress it all up horribly. Kinda interesting twist that the people who died in the previous story are just hanging out in the rpg and helping the player.

It's pretty great. I hope these guys keep on making games.

Ooyama's role in all this mess is intriguing. I'm surprised that he's pretty benevolent despite being a ghost dwelling in a videogame, especially since his ghost/regret did hassle Davey Sr.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I really want to compliment the work done on the corrupted text. It really added to the atmosphere.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

asymmetrical posted:

I really want to compliment the work done on the corrupted text. It really added to the atmosphere.
That's all Panzer's hard work and would you believe that this is all her first time doing subtitles?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Niggurath posted:

That's all Panzer's hard work and would you believe that this is all her first time doing subtitles?

I wasn't sure how it would be handled on Panzer's end, which is why I had the characters talGHk liGHke thGHis. I was pleasantly surprised to see the corruption faithfully reproduced in the English text.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

asymmetrical posted:

Niggurath posted:

:blush: Aw jeez, I'm glad it comes across okay! I tried really hard to convey the original appearance of the text with the font/color/formatting of the subtitles in general. The closest I could come to creating the glitched text effect of the original game was to use Aegisub's draw command to draw each individual artifact. I was pleased with the outcome but I wasn't sure if it would really convey well in the end.

How Ingratiating! posted:

I wasn't sure how it would be handled on Panzer's end, which is why I had the characters talGHk liGHke thGHis. I was pleasantly surprised to see the corruption faithfully reproduced in the English text.

Aaa that was a perfect way to handle it though! Having the extra characters to glitch on kept the lines very readable despite the crazy poo poo happening! :kimchi: I'm glad you liked it too!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Good job with the subtitling, ya skank :v:

Seroiusly though, it's good work! The text is corrupted in the original japanese? How exactly does that look? Or is it just a random jumble of graphics?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Seroiusly though, it's good work! The text is corrupted in the original japanese? How exactly does that look? Or is it just a random jumble of graphics?

It looks like the hiragana/katakana has been written over and scratched through. Sometimes it's bad enough that the text is only half-readable. I did notice it was consistent, though. Each corrupted text character would always be messed up the same way, so I eventually figured out which symbol some of them replaced.

Speaking of corruption, I hope you guys have been paying attention to the TS screen.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Good job with the subtitling, ya skank :v:

This is a bit of an example of how it looked originally:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Speaking of corruption, I hope you guys have been paying attention to the TS screen.

This.

I hadn't said anything about it yet, but that's one of my favorite nice touches so far, right after the scrambled flower-people text (nicely done on that again, Panzer and How Ingratiating!, though you've heard this a bunch of times already).

I'm enjoying seeing Ooyama again, and I'm glad he's still a weirdo and also not a bad guy. I wonder if that means we're gonna see Riko at some point too? Though, maybe they just went with the heavy alluding to her part of last game instead, and she won't actually show up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Going off the story from RPG section this update, I think it's safe to assume that Ooyama's attempts to investigate the original cursed game resulted in more deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Speaking of the TS, I wasn't sure in the update but do you actually pick up the other person's TS and start playing it to transfer ooyama to your game? can you check his mail or anything when you have it?

• Locked thread