Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Thesaya posted:

4 in the afternoon? With four being an unlucky number, I wonder if they used that time of day on purpose.

Almost certainly. It's a very common thing in video games (setting things in years with the number 4, at 4 o' clock, etc), so it's a fair bet the time isn't a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Niggurath posted:

On the note of reading into something though, I was wondering if people had any ideas about the dungeon under the cemetery. I still kinda think it's the game world manifesting itself somehow in the real world, but I suppose it could also have just been that way in real world terms (though I'm not overly familiar with torture dungeons being built right into cemeteries. I mean we have seen regrets and minor objects appearing from the game in the real world, but what if it could manifest something much larger and world altering.

I'm more on board with this idea, because it's quite a common J-Horror trope as well. Hell, it's quite common to Japanese media in general: The reality altering entity. We see it in things like Ghost Hunt, Silent Hill, Shin Megami Tensei and spinoffs, Get Backers, Log Horizon... Sometimes, it's as simple as "gently caress you, you're not getting away because ENDLESS CORRIDOR, ahahahaaaaa!", other times, it's a literal recreation of where they died, and others still, it's this weird allegorical space. I'm interested to see where the game takes it, to be honest.

It's not even doing a disservice to the writers/designers by saying "Yeah, they used this thing that's common in the surrounding media", because the devil's in the details, and they seem to be taking it in an interesting direction, details wise.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, but to me the other games that has presented something similar has usually been in a fantasy realm. This game's real world sections normally do try to stay true to real world locations and settings; so suddenly falling down a well and ending up in a torture dungeon seemed ummmm super out of place? Especially since it's apparently only 4 in the afternoon as someone on youtube pointed out.

Well, the one that springs to mind specifically was a modern setting game as well. I think it was The forest of Drizzling Rain? Or some kind of indie RPG horror game. Either way, also had a sort of dungeon in a cave much like this. Don't see it all too often in modern stuff that I can think of however. That said, it does seem out of place, but I kind of wonder if it might be a 'thing' all the same.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is is safe to assume it's some kind of Regret that is chasing you on that staircase in Kenta's level? You don't get the static on the left side like normal but what else can the game really throw at you?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is is safe to assume it's some kind of Regret that is chasing you on that staircase in Kenta's level? You don't get the static on the left side like normal but what else can the game really throw at you?

could be the majora's mask hand again

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
If you listen closely, you can actually hear the steps of a Regret somewhere offscreen during that section. It's really faint, though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah, it's just the regret that you see down in the dungeon area (in those kicky camo pants). He'll just immediately grab you if you happen to make the mistake of looking back. Though that regret has one particular quality and I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the video, but I think when that regret is active in the 'real world' his NPC version is gone from in the town in the RPG.

A part of me wonders if he's an actual person killed by the game, or if like the dungeon area, he's a manifestation of the game that came out into the real world.

Zamujasa posted:

If you listen closely, you can actually hear the steps of a Regret somewhere offscreen during that section. It's really faint, though.
Yeah, it's a pretty scary effect when you've managed to get all the way up the stairs and right before the door you suddenly hear the breathing of a regret right behind you. But then again, this game is just great with it's sound work....especially in the next chapter.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, it's just the regret that you see down in the dungeon area (in those kicky camo pants). He'll just immediately grab you if you happen to make the mistake of looking back. Though that regret has one particular quality and I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the video, but I think when that regret is active in the 'real world' his NPC version is gone from in the town in the RPG.

A part of me wonders if he's an actual person killed by the game, or if like the dungeon area, he's a manifestation of the game that came out into the real world.

Yeah, it's a pretty scary effect when you've managed to get all the way up the stairs and right before the door you suddenly hear the breathing of a regret right behind you. But then again, this game is just great with it's sound work....especially in the next chapter.

I'm thinking he's part of the murdered-by-the-game crowd, actually, since his skin tone is normal person skin tone and not creepy white like the rest of the people in the town, to say nothing of the rest of his appearance. There has to be a reason he's so different from the others there.

I wonder what it says about those high-school bullies that their skin tone was creepy white too.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

And today things go kinda bad for Davey....just a lil.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah I would've stopped playing at least for the rest of the day at that "Kill me" room because I'm a baby about creepy claustrophic environments. :gonk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I wonder how you get that cursed cartridge in the field area. I've never seen anybody get it.

I also really like how at the point where she mentions she is unable to overpower the curse, the red is leaking out around the staircase.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Huh, once a schoolgirl, always a schoolgirl, I guess... Why do I say that? Because that "Dye you red" line may tie in to an ooooooooold school urban legend. Hell, I've heard it in my schooldays, and I'm sure it's gotten all round the world at this point: The Red Coat.

The Red Coat is a simple one, a variation of Bloody Mary. Essentially, a lady does the Bloody Mary ritual (Or summons/inadvertently angers some other murdered/murderous ghost), and said ghost taunts them before death with "Do you want to wear red?"

Said lady, being a school ghost story protagonist, rather foolishly says "Yes" (Because lack of genre awareness), and then the ghostly voice says... "Then I'll paint you red" (Or "I'll cover you in red", or, and this is the mainstream version "Then you'll wear a red coat")... And then.... THEN...

[flicks on torch, shines it under face]

The police find her in the morning, dead, and covered with blood... As if she were wearing a red coat!!! AHAHAHAAHAAAAA!

[flicks off torch]

It is, like many school horror stories and urban legends, incredibly silly, with a protagonist who has the survival instinct of a parasitically infected ant, and a convenient lack of witnesses to the core dramatic moment, but it's common enough that you see it at least being mentioned in a fair bit of J-Horror.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 23, 2015

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
The little sign on the wall about 16 minutes in, while you can hear the game music playing, says "Silence is golden in the hospital."

Niggurath posted:

Also I do apologize but I did miss one of those flashback books, but you didn't really miss anything worthwhile. Just that the group was collecting body parts and it cursed one of their members. And I did miss getting a body part in the video, but I went back to get it later. You keep have to access the RPG in the library.

Niggurath, are you planning to show off that little section at any point? Or can I post about it in detail, since I still have the script for it? It's not something necessary to understand the overall plot, but it does explain why the Faceless body parts exist in the game world. And like everything else in the Davey/Yuuto/Ren RPG story, it's an alternate telling of an event from Kenta/Naoki/Akane's lives in the real world.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

How Ingratiating! posted:

The little sign on the wall about 16 minutes in, while you can hear the game music playing, says "Silence is golden in the hospital."

Niggurath, are you planning to show off that little section at any point? Or can I post about it in detail, since I still have the script for it? It's not something necessary to understand the overall plot, but it does explain why the Faceless body parts exist in the game world. And like everything else in the Davey/Yuuto/Ren RPG story, it's an alternate telling of an event from Kenta/Naoki/Akane's lives in the real world.
Hooray, I knew I focused in on that sign for a reason. But sadly, no, I ended up losing the recording I had of that cutscene and I'm not sure if I still have a save state around that particular chapter anymore; so feel free to post anything you want in regards to it otherwise (especially since I know I already had you translate it).

Zamujasa posted:

I wonder how you get that cursed cartridge in the field area. I've never seen anybody get it.

I also really like how at the point where she mentions she is unable to overpower the curse, the red is leaking out around the staircase.
Sadly, I wasn't sure in the mood to try to get it, but here are some instructions that Panzer was able to find....via what we think was some guide written in Arabic?

quote:

To obtain Nooroi Cartridge No. 30, you must run slowly. Take a safe position on the right of the screen and begin steps to: DOWN 2 - DOWN 2 - LEFT 4 - DOWN 2 - Right 3 - DOWN 3 - LEFT 4 - THE 1 - LEFT 2 - DOWN 2 - LEFT 2 - DOWN 1 - LEFT 2 - THE 1 - LEFT 2 - DOWN 1 - LEFT 2 - THE 4 - LEFT 3 - DOWN 1 - LEFT 3 - THE 4 - LEFT 2 - DOWN 3 - LEFT 1 - DOWN 3 - RIGHT 1 - DOWN 1 - RIGHT 2 - THE 1 - RIGHT 2 - DOWN 1 - RIGHT NO 2
I honestly could just never figure out where to properly start the drat sequence though.

tlarn posted:

Yeah I would've stopped playing at least for the rest of the day at that "Kill me" room because I'm a baby about creepy claustrophic environments. :gonk:
It's pretty amazing how much they improved the voice clips from the first game to this one. If you compare the super monotone Riko to chants of 'kill me' and 'kill you' of Akane, they just sound so drastically different. Also it's a nice touch that both the Red Akane and White Akane are using very slightly different versions of 'korosu'.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Actually upon further investigation of my work PC, it appears that I do have that missing cutscene with the translation applied. So here ya go: Cutscene that was missed back in the school

VVVV
Yup, but it's all in an effort to destroy the Shadow King or the Faceless King.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 23, 2015

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's.. welp. Weren't those being collected throughout the game so far?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Niggurath posted:

VVVV
Yup, but it's all in an effort to destroy the Shadow King or the Faceless King.

But according to the game, collecting them brings a death curse on you... unless the game is lying to us?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

RadicalR posted:

But according to the game, collecting them brings a death curse on you... unless the game is lying to us?

Well, the player is cursed to die in 7 days. :v:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Man, I looked up that Nanashi no Appli and I'm *pissed* that we got the 774 Deaths game instead. I mean, I can understand WHY we didn't get it, but it's like a slap in the face, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isiNRqdyz5w Seems to be the first link for a Japanese LP.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

RadicalR posted:

its a guess but i think anything thats described as cursed in the game world (the cursed parts, the cursed song) is just an analogy for people getting killed by the game's curse.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They did a nice job recycling all kinds of content from the previous game.

I can't help thinking how weird this looks when played on an actual system with screens of different sizes :pwn:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SelenicMartian posted:

I can't help thinking how weird this looks when played on an actual system with screens of different sizes :pwn:

It was designed for the original DS, where both screens were the same size. You still had to hold it sideways, though.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Zamujasa posted:

It was designed for the original DS, where both screens were the same size. You still had to hold it sideways, though.

It's a lot easier to move around on the touch screen, too.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

drat you, Sachiko-san! :argh:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah; I know some complaints for the first day was that it just seemed to be straight rehashing things from the first game but in the end that's all just a means to throw the player off. You go in assuming that you know the score and then things start to go slightly wrong...and then just escalate from there. The hospital is a great example of this because we've been to this hospital before, we have expectations upon entering and instead of something horrible, we're presented with a relatively clean place. And then the nightmare fuel starts and architectural horror.

All in all though, I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the reveal in this update. I suppose everyone already saw it coming that the girl in white and the girl in red were the same person? And that their soul was just split in two by grief and confusion.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
That had been my running theory from the get-go, yeah. I'm surprised that she's still maybe alive, though. She seems alive, along with Ren, but I'm not sure I trust that entirely. Especially given how good this game has been with red herrings and being misleading to throw you off once a reveal hits.

But yeah! This was a really neat update. The imagery was cool, and I really liked the contrast between Akane and Aka-Akane and their two areas, with Aka-Akane's being all jittery and blood-soaked, and Akane's being relaxing wheat fields (when she could manage it).

Also, I want you to know that I had the squeaky-glitched version of the game theme we've been hearing a lot lately stuck in my head this morning. :colbert:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I can't recall if anyone has asked this yet, but how does dying work? As in, how far is the last checkpoint? And yeah, I also kinda figured the girl in red and the girl white were the same person, or at least I did when the graveyard happened.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Considering they looked exactly the same with the exception of the color and the fact that there was only one person it could have been, it really was no surprise. Its a somewhat common trope as well for someone's soul to be split into a 'good and bad' half as well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Carlioo posted:

I can't recall if anyone has asked this yet, but how does dying work? As in, how far is the last checkpoint? And yeah, I also kinda figured the girl in red and the girl white were the same person, or at least I did when the graveyard happened.
The player is shown the log cabin from the player's idle TS screen and then it slowly distorts into darkness. Checkpoints are somewhat prevalent and the player can freely save whenever they want from the TS menu.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

From a character design standpoint, it makes no sense to make them separate people yet share everything but the color of their dress. It'd be less effective cause they're too similar.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Drew you some Akane. And Akane.

Yeah.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Hot drat, yokaiy, that's gorgeous.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

yokaiy posted:

Drew you some Akane. And Akane.

Yeah.

:drat:

Great stuff!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Niggurath posted:

All in all though, I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the reveal in this update. I suppose everyone already saw it coming that the girl in white and the girl in red were the same person? And that their soul was just split in two by grief and confusion.
For an update or two I thought the gray girl in the games was an older Asahi trying to save people from the new curse, but once I saw both models it clicked that it was either twins or a split personality.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Niggurath posted:

Well, you did mention Silent Hill.

What's nice about this game is that it more or less stands alone--you don't need to have played the previous game, any references to events in the past can stay in Noodle Incident territory. (Though of course if you know what these events in the past are, it adds depth to the current plot.)

What's not so nice about this game is that it ends up tracing a similar plot arc as the original. And either locks the ending of the previous into the Bad End (the curse is obviously very much still around, so obviously Asahi still hates the world and everything in it) or renders the Good End meaningless (the curse is very much around despite Asahi having come to terms with what the game was supposed to represents). Either way, it's almost better that you come in not knowing what happened previously.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

dotchan posted:

What's not so nice about this game is that it ends up tracing a similar plot arc as the original. And either locks the ending of the previous into the Bad End (the curse is obviously very much still around, so obviously Asahi still hates the world and everything in it) or renders the Good End meaningless (the curse is very much around despite Asahi having come to terms with what the game was supposed to represents). Either way, it's almost better that you come in not knowing what happened previously.

The thing about this is that a lot of Japanese ghost legends/movies/games etc. have that sense of inevitability to them, where the appeasement is only temporary, if it works at all. Some of the most popular J-Horror films do this in spades, where the curse keeps on rolling, and you're either pretty much hosed (The Grudge), or you have to gently caress over someone else to escape your fate (The Ring).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Shinto afterlife is not a terribly cool place to be which is why J-horror ghosts tend to be such assholes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The End?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Man, the afterlife is hella complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Didn't Ren die before she made it to Ikuta?

I guess he must have researched it on his own, after the initial phone call with Ren.

• Locked thread