Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Why the gently caress do Phillips head screws exist? Slotted can withstand far more torque.

When's the last time a Phillips head screwdriver lasted you more than a year? They always get filed down into prison shanks after unscrewing the 20th screw.

If a screw is at an awkward angle, you can be confident a phillips head is gonna ruin your screwdriver and the screw is gonna get stripped. If it's a flathead, you can be pretty sure you'll be able to get it out.

SCREW YOU, PHILLIPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

wow! are you wrong

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I just use whatever kind of screwdriver is needed for whatever screw is there, and complain about it.
So half the time you're right I geuss

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
buy better screwdrivers?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8tzXFagaso

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
Use hex heads

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

wow! are you wrong

agreed, you could not possibly get any more wrong!

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Flat head is for fat shitheads.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can use a slot head in a phillips screw :ssh:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I *DO* however prefer regular hex/allen over Torx. Big Torx are ok but the small ones I never fail to twist that poo poo up and gently caress up my tool a little bit

I geuss I do have opinions on fastener and tool technology

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

and dont even get me started on how retarded "security torx" is with the little pin in the center. Really?

Thats your idea of security?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
use the right size screwdriver for the screw ya nerd

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
expected a skullfucking OP by that title

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

My favorite limited use screw tool though has to be the one for putting together toilet partitions. The head is cut straight across like a regular flat screw, but the edges are shaped so that it can only be tightened. As soon as you start your lefty-loosey, you've got no material to twist

Now thats a security solution to suit your fastening needs

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
holy gently caress no dude, gently caress flatheads . they are the loving worst. you are using some cheap garbage to "wear out" a screwdriver on the 20th screw lol. seriously harbor freight screwdrivers dont even gently caress up, are you using some kind of 184 piece wal mart not-even-black&decker "home toolkit" ?

and you can put way more torque on a phillips assuming

1) you arent using one too small or too big
2) you arent a pussy (ie you push down with even a tiny bit of force and dont awkwardly shake it around)

notice that flatheads arent superior to any of those assumptions because

1a) using a too large or too small flathead produces the same bad results
2a) being a pussy with a flathead is actually far more frustrating

the only tiny, tiny benefit to a flathead is that if the quality of the screw is equally total bullshit between the two styles, a flathead can widthstand a tiny bit more force before stripping than a lovely
phillips screw. However, if you simply use the right size even that isnt a problem

I hope you see the error of your post OP

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Phillips is for putting things together, not taking things apart. That's the problem.

Pozi-drive is the superior Phillips.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Phillips head tends to grip far better in my experience

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
itt goons relate their experience putting together Ikea furniture

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can use a slot head in a phillips screw :ssh:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lol this dumb gently caress doesn't know how to use a screwdriver. you're a loving dumbass OP and I recommend you stay away from power tools.

you dumb poo poo.

dumb dumb dumb dumb omfg you are a dummy dumbo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
About time we got some screwdriver chat going on in here.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You know what's a good screw that never wears out? Your mom.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
haven't really had these problems OP I also like phillips head for awkward angles esp a socket phillips head screwdriver

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I use screws to hang up shelves, and courtain rods. it works very well, and they usually stay where I put them, which is mostly in the walls.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's me i'm phillip. gently caress my gay head

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Flat head screw drivers always slide off of the screw! Screw that!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I like using big old screws, for hanging very small pictures, and then going "well that's not going anywhere" to myself, self confidently, after I have done so.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Minimalist Program posted:

I like using big old screws, for hanging very small pictures, and then going "well that's not going anywhere" to myself, self confidently, after I have done so.

try a big fat loving nail smack through the center of the picture for a "modern" twist on an old classic!

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
u dont even need the right size for slotted! As long as its smsall ednouigh to fit int he screw, it usually works. Why the gently caress do you think it's easier if you need to find the right size?

dumb ppl itt

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I did not have strong opinions on screwdrivers upon going into this thread, but I feel that the Original Poster has presented an excellent case, and now I also hate Phillips'-head screwdrivers.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

nomadologique posted:

try a big fat loving nail smack through the center of the picture for a "modern" twist on an old classic!

thats also a cool thing to do, which I do every now and then, often with the result of cracking the frame and making my wief mad.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Why don't you go screw yourself and give phillip some head

you piece of poo poo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol if you're not welding your screwdriver directly to the screw

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
the phillips heads was designed to cam out and gently caress up the screw instead of the head or the thing youre screwing so gently caress you when you need the screw to not get hosed up

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
my multi-tool not only has 2 sizes of phillips bits it also has 2 sizes of flat head bits

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

liquorlanche posted:

Why the gently caress do Phillips head screws exist? Slotted can withstand far more torque.

When's the last time a Phillips head screwdriver lasted you more than a year? They always get filed down into prison shanks after unscrewing the 20th screw.

If a screw is at an awkward angle, you can be confident a phillips head is gonna ruin your screwdriver and the screw is gonna get stripped. If it's a flathead, you can be pretty sure you'll be able to get it out.

SCREW YOU, PHILLIPS!

git gud

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

robertson screws ftw

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
if i cant smash it in with a rock i dont even wanna gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU