Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Three-Phase posted:

Why did you have to open up the Tamagotchi?

Breach birth. Had to do a cesarean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

tri point screws are some hosed up stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OP you are dumb as hell. If you're trashing philips head screws then you probably shouldn't be near any tools in the first place as it's clear you don't have the mental capacity to do things properly.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Believe it or not, there's varying sizes and depths and pitches to Phillips drivers. I don't bother to familiarize myself with them since this is 2015 and Torx are the superior product.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

three pages about screwdrivers

somebody needs to shove you nerds into a locker or something

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ohUYBJFF0&t=131s

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
make a drat pilot hole instead of trying to use the screw as its own drill OP

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

interwhat posted:

Believe it or not, there's varying sizes and depths and pitches to Phillips drivers. I don't bother to familiarize myself with them since this is 2015 and Torx are the superior product.

At least it's immediately obvious if you're using the wrong size of Torx or Robertson driver. Phillips is poo poo, it can go gently caress itself and die.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Sweet Tea posted:

it's me i'm phillip. gently caress my gay head

very well.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

liquorlanche posted:

Why the gently caress do Phillips head screws exist? Slotted can withstand far more torque.

When's the last time a Phillips head screwdriver lasted you more than a year? They always get filed down into prison shanks after unscrewing the 20th screw.

If a screw is at an awkward angle, you can be confident a phillips head is gonna ruin your screwdriver and the screw is gonna get stripped. If it's a flathead, you can be pretty sure you'll be able to get it out.

SCREW YOU, PHILLIPS!

Phillips was designed self center and to cam out to avoid over-torquing. Phillips is great for rapid assembly but piss-poor for precision work. It likes to strip if you have the wrong bit.

Phillips is a pile of poo poo and I try to use torx any time I can for framing.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Fonzarelli posted:

three pages about screwdrivers

somebody needs to shove you nerds into a locker or something

i'm pretty sure that knowing about tools is the opposite of nerd, gaylord

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

bunky posted:

knowing about tools is definitely gay tho

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

bunky posted:

oh yeah? *straps on static-proof wristband, grabs screwdriver* i've got some heat sealant paste to replace

now who's teh fuckin nerd

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the proest method of unscrewing things is to melt a bic pen to the point where it's almost fluid and jam it onto the screw and let it cool

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Those square ones are cool

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bunky posted:

robertson screws ftw

drat bunk, that poo poo is legit, thanks for the info!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Robertson

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

bunky posted:

yeah maybe when they are jackhammers or big saws or something

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

yeah maybe when they are jackhammers or big saws or something

Heh

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Never stripped a Robertson screw

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DamnCanadian posted:

Never stripped a Robertson screw

but a robert's screwed you?

SolidElectronics
Jul 9, 2005
The only Philips screws that are okay are the ones that also take Robertson. Also, lol at slotted, it's not the 18th century any more.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
for stabbin, op

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

moose face posted:

Robertson 4 lyfe

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

torx my phil hole

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

moose face posted:

Robertson 4 lyfe

:agreed:

also learn how to use tools, you clowns. Here, I'll even give you a Disney animated lesson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkOOtd3GmY

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
like three quarters of all screws installed in canada are robertson, b/c we're not stuck in a spooky time warp to the 1940s where power drills bear down until something catastrophically fails

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
im a pozidriv bit. watch as i flail feebly trying to reduce cam-out in a screw designed to promote camout

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ambrose Burnside posted:

like three quarters of all screws installed in canada are robertson, b/c we're not stuck in a spooky time warp to the 1940s where power drills bear down until something catastrophically fails

right but you have some existential crisis or something where you don't know if you're a real nation or the poor little bro of the U.S. so you stick a square peg in a round screw and claim is superior

torx for ever

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
keep nationalism out of screw technology

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

dont you see gnarly... everything is political

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
:negative:

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You know what's a good screw that never wears out? Your mom.

I saw her get stripped in front of an audience last night.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

gnarlyhotep posted:

keep nationalism out of screw technology

nationalism has no place in screw technology. it's the reason why japan has a lovely phillips derivative that looks identical to phillips screws but will always strip unless you're super careful or have an ethnically pure nippon screwdriver

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

My favorite limited use screw tool though has to be the one for putting together toilet partitions. The head is cut straight across like a regular flat screw, but the edges are shaped so that it can only be tightened. As soon as you start your lefty-loosey, you've got no material to twist

Now thats a security solution to suit your fastening needs

Yeah what's the deal with those things

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Aren't those things basically the betamax of screws

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Mange Mite posted:

Aren't those things basically the betamax of screws

nah theyre still widely used and industry loves them b/c they dont cam out + that resistance to camout tends to hold even if the bit is seated poorly, unlike a lot of camout-resistant screw types + the screw naturally clings to the bit without magnetic fuckery cause of the tapers involved

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
tbf I think electric drills aren't that well designed; the gun grip makes it hard to apply pressure at the same angle as the bit, which causes a lot of stripped/missed screws. I think building a drill that let you put force right behind the bit would be a lot better - think of a cordless drill with the handle of an orbital sander.

say, something like this:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Trochanter posted:

tbf electric drills aren't that well designed; the gun grip makes it hard to apply pressure at the same angle as the bit, which causes a lot of stripped/missed screws. I think building a drill that let you put force right behind the bit would be a lot better - think a cordless drill with the handle of an orbital sander.

say, something like this:

you dont need to apply force, and you wont strip screws, if you just use a screw that isnt constantly trying to cam out on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
I use robinson most of the time, and it's not a question of the type of head - it's simply the kind of screw and how much leverage you can apply to the driver. You try putting 4" #12 wood screws into an eave just at the end of your reach while perched on a ladder, and tell me you don't need to apply force.

e: :bahgawd: in the middle of a snowstorm, after walking 15 miles uphill

• Locked thread