Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
*locks eyes with u* you dont need to apply force. you DONT need to apply force. you don't, need, to apply force *cradles your head, tenderly repeating mantra*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
let the screw do its work, just relax

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I hate slotted screws because at the last place I worked people would use the term "flathead" to refer to both slotted screws and countersunk screws.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
square-head bolts and slotted screws own cause, yeah, thats how we made screws five hundred years ago, still got em knockin around as legacy for some reason, whatcha gonna do about it

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

*locks eyes with u* you dont need to apply force. you DONT need to apply force. you don't, need, to apply force *cradles your head, tenderly repeating mantra*

*the screw whisperer*

Listen here, poindexter. Maybe in your faggy, ivory-tower worksites you have all your holes all neat and pre-drilled for you, they're all at the perfect ergonomically correct height and you can take worker's compensation if the driver causes your wanker's cramp to flare up. Out here in the real world, we use many screws larger than your penis, and we even have to put a few in tight, hard to reach places. Like your mom's vagina. Both require a bit of exertion to keep the screw in place and drive it home. Which is why a drill that lines up the bit and the direction of force, I think, would be much better.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

moose face posted:

I put in thousands of screws a day sometimes and in my opinion the #2 Robertson and ⅜" hex head are the best

good ol red robbie

e:

:canada:

Flying Fortress fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Finally, a type of screwing that goons are qualified to talk about

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ambrose Burnside posted:

nah theyre still widely used and industry loves them b/c they dont cam out + that resistance to camout tends to hold even if the bit is seated poorly, unlike a lot of camout-resistant screw types + the screw naturally clings to the bit without magnetic fuckery cause of the tapers involved

So the betamax of screws

Also licensig issues too

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i legit dont know the names of any type of scrwe theres the cross bun ones and the line ones

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
its called crosspoint you loving poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Trochanter posted:

tbf I think electric drills aren't that well designed; the gun grip makes it hard to apply pressure at the same angle as the bit, which causes a lot of stripped/missed screws. I think building a drill that let you put force right behind the bit would be a lot better - think of a cordless drill with the handle of an orbital sander.

say, something like this:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I agree with the OP

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

square drive op

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

nationalism has no place in screw technology. it's the reason why japan has a lovely phillips derivative that looks identical to phillips screws but will always strip unless you're super careful or have an ethnically pure nippon screwdriver

This guy knows

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

i probably shouldnt be googling "weird screw" at work

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i use a german-made black powder nailgun called the blitznailer

ALL HAIL ZE BLITZNAILER

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wow i knew he went to jail for coke distribution but ratcheteering too?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

what the gently caress

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

he was drunkscrewdriving and killed all the screws

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
The ABCs of Hand Tools needs to be shown in high school, gently caress.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Target Practice posted:

The ABCs of Hand Tools needs to be shown in high school, gently caress.

When I was in HS if you showed even a little academic ability you were actively discouraged from taking any shop classes. Like, I enjoyed reading but maybe I wanted to make poo poo too. Nope

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Flying Fortress posted:

When I was in HS if you showed even a little academic ability you were actively discouraged from taking any shop classes. Like, I enjoyed reading but maybe I wanted to make poo poo too. Nope

Yeah. I took shop, drafting (pen and paper kind) and CAD.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Torx or die

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

City of Tampa posted:

None of this poo poo happens if you have the correct sized screwdriver. Flat heads are great if you want your screwdriver to slip and scratch the gently caress out of whatever you're working on.

Also, they make short screwdrivers and right-angle screwdrivers for tight spots. And tools wear out over time and need to be replaced, especially if you are using them improperly.

There is an interesting history around the Phillips head screw involving noted anti-semite Henry Ford. Also some dumbass Canadians got screwed over or something. http://mentalfloss.com/article/26929/screw-screw-why-we-have-different-types-screws

You just won the thread. I forgot how eventually slotted screws are eventually gonna face down or whatever and. Philips head screws will never slip out. They both suck tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
a bay

• Locked thread