Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
CamERA laying down some sick :iceburn: on XCAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Dr Pepper posted:

Where's the submarine? :mad:
On the Planet Glorpnar, submarine means an entirely different thing from what we refer to it as on earth.

What that is though, no one really knows.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wait, the reviewers actually heckle you for not having bathrooms on the lot? I figured you 'shopped that in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

King Con is a masterpiece for modern times. In it, a man beats another man senseless for no apparent reason, a gripping metaphor for the ennui inherent in our Jazz age lifestyles.

It is, perhaps, the final proof that the new medium of film is a worthy one. For how could a mere novel so thoroughly encapsulate the emptiness of the soul so common in the post war era.

We can only hope future filmmakers take note, and have all of their works center around dudes getting the holy hell beaten out of them.

1 star.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Submarine Gang takes its name from what is, in the final cut, a small subplot. Unfortunately it appears to have been cut out due to the ambitious nature. All that remains of the once major theme is a single short few lines where several characters make a pact to obtain a submarine.

X-CAM Studios still seems unaware of just how far they can stretch their budget and talent. Time will tell if they will lower their ambitions to something they can attain, or figure out a way to make their limited resources reach for the stars.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

King Con: Two fists up.

Submarine Gang: Stay away from this leaky tub.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
The Submarine Gang is simply a marvel in modern storytelling, setting the scene for the highly anticipated squeal, in which we will find out...what happened to their submarine?

(I spent like, 8 hours playing this stupid game today. gently caress I missed it. gently caress I did not miss managing star stress)

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
By toying with our expectations, The Submarine Gang forces us to examine all things in life to see the greater meanings. Unfortunately, on examining my life, I have discovered that it is shallow and meaningless. The Submarine Gang: a must see movie!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
My review of King Con, I throughly enjoyed it.

My review of The Submarine Gang, I laughed, I cried, I gouged my own eyes out with my thumbs because I knew I would never see a more brilliant film ever again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
This LP is loving magical.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
"In an allegorical reminder of the fierce and ancient rivalry between Athens and Sparta, King Con delivers what it promises: a man being punched in the face repeatedly to the amusement of everyone watching.."

"There is quality, and then there is The Submarine Gang. It redefines the genre. Which genre? Shut up and get me a drink. No, don't write that part down, you loving incompetent."

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
I initially misread the title of "The Submarine Gang" as "The Pubmarine Gang". Frankly, the plot makes a remarkable amount of sense when considered as an allegory for the often-irreversible mistakes that can be made in the grasp of liquor.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Those reviews are still great to read. "The movie lot buildings are well connected." A movie review with the highest praise. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wasn't down with Submarine Gang, but then the antagonist revealed his crazed inner side and all was well. Oh it was still bad, but I enjoyed it immensely.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Submarine gang is a metaphor for childhood. We see and experience the loneliness and isolation of the ur-child in the face of an uncaring world, the innate helplessness of all our contrivances to change the paradigm and ascend to a more mature state of being. Unfortunately, the film sucked like a punctured lung, but at least the intent was there.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
In my tradition of submitting Hulk Hogan for every XCom LP, please make a sequel to the cinematic masterpiece Santa With Muscles, starring Hulk Hogan.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Danaru posted:

Pretty much. Builders will wander around and repair stuff if nothing is being actively built, so unless you have a massive lot and no builders, you're always going to be in top form. I honestly don't know if buildings are destroyed at zero maintenance because it's never happened to me.

The only thing that happens when your buildings are not maintained is that they just turn off and you can't use it anymore.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Senerio posted:

In my tradition of submitting Hulk Hogan for every XCom LP, please make a sequel to the cinematic masterpiece Santa With Muscles, starring Hulk Hogan.

Dude, it's the 1920s, that movie hasn't happened yet. They'd have to do a prequel. Santa Takes Steroids, starring Terry Bollea.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Updated the posters, sorry for taking so long, been a long work week :downs:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
My reactions to the flims:

King Con: I liked it!

The Submarine Gang: I liked it!

Keep up the good work, X-Cam!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Danaru, I sincerely commend you for butchering my review of The Submarine Gang in true Hollywood fashion. It captures the spirit of the LP so well :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Update 3 - Something About Awards

"It looks like we're saved again by the low standards of the moviegoing populace."
"In 70 years everyone's going to end their video game reviews with "It's The Submarine Gang of Video Games"."

"This might sound crazy, but is time going faster?"
"I've been noticing it too. It appears every time we release a video, the psychic wave appears to weaken slightly. I'm still trying to find out why, but it's going slowly given I'm the entire science wing of X-COM right now."
"X-CAM, thank you."
"I'm not calling it that."
"Commander, you should take a look at the other script."
"Holy poo poo don't tell me they finally used something other than the drat st--"

"Why, Shen."
"I thought it would be funny, and I wasn't wrong."

"I hear a flushing sound in my head whenever I dump one of these."
"I really do hope we don't end up seeing a rival studio make it big with "Where's Baby?""
"We probably don't have to worry about a hit from the assholes who wrote Submarine Gang"
"...That doesn't bode well for our future."

"Oh hey, forgot about those."
"You can see how close we're getting by watching to trophy on the top of the screen."
"So the trophy is the awards show, the globe is events or whatever the hell Vahlen was talking about."
"World history, as a result of psychic time compres--"
"No, god, once was bad enough. What's all the other crap up there?"
"Technology packs, I believe."
"That's right, unfortunately since I'm coordinating spies, running data, reprogramming the computer..."
"You've only programmed the drat movie related stuff, this is MY baby."
"Actual research has been a low priority, is what I'm getting at. Right now we're pretty much banking on rolling with technology as the world goes on. Once my scientists show up we can sta--"
"Woah woah, shut up for a second, they FINALLY did it."

"About time too. We've never used the Cellar set, so set novelty will be high."
"This is great, do we have a director that knows horror stuff?"
"Brookes definitely doesn't, let me check on Lane."

"Vahlen what did you do."
"It's uh, probably an approximation based on their relationship. There's no way for the computer to ACTUALLY read thoughts or anything."
"Of course not, Mengele."
"Anyway, anyway. Lane doesn't have any skill with Horror either. Neither do any of our actors, although I assume you're sending in Bradford so you can continue your collection of bad Bradford related reviews."
"You know me too well."
"Almost like there are a bunch of robots in your brain reading your thoughts."
"Just try proving it."

"Oh hey, it's Lieutenant Prattela, that's... uncomfortably convenient."
"And she even happens to know a bit about the horror genre."
"I'd hope so, she was on that mission in Newfoundland."
"You may not want to make her a director just for the sake of one film. A movie will only ever need one director, but will need multiple actors later on."
"If I cared what happened in the future, we wouldn't be running a movie studio to make money to fight aliens."

"No extras? Really?"
"I wonder what kind of surprise the writers have cooked up for this movie, I can't say I remember seeing a horror movie without some kind of antagonist."
"Maybe the true antagonist is man himself, a constant battle between the desire to be civilized and do good versus man's primal instincts and predisposition to violence."
"Maybe it's just a poo poo film."

"Anyway, Prattela is more than qualified to direct this. Those idiots in the writing department are working on a comedy now, so even if they use the drat stage, we can run two movies in tandem."
"Don't overwork them, we don't exactly have the manpower to run missions against the aliens, but once we do we want our troops to be battle ready."
"We'll worry about that once we start popping UFOs. Where the gently caress IS everyone anyway?"
"Increasing our studio ranking should draw people back in. We don't want to suddenly have tons of 'employees'. It'll look suspicious."

"Heyyy, speaking of studio rank."
"She pushed a button to make that pop up. I saw it."
"Hush."
"The important thing is that we're making cash, I knew this would work."

"I'll let them have it this time, since we can actually use the stage."
"I'll send over Brazil and Lane."
"You know it."

"Looks like Brazil is feeling it a bit. You have been running them ragged, you know."
"They should be thankful, it's either this or dodging plasma blasts."

"Oh yeah, I ordered the engineers to build some more shitters."
"I'm sure they won't have any complaints doing that. One outhouse for an entire studio isn't exactly optimal."
"Why didn't they just put washrooms into the buildings?"
"Toilets and laser weaponry aren't exactly comparable."
"Can't you just chuck alien alloys at it or something?"
"...Commander, do you actually know what we DO in engineering?"
"If I did I wouldn't need you around."

"The Night Follower and French Polish are all set for shooting. We had just enough people to fill the slots for both."
"Miss Brookes is the only one not on deck. I'd recommend we give her a break considering tensions are relatively high right now."

"Haha, Action Blenkinsop!"
"The writers are at... something again, we don't have to worry about them getting stressed out though, only Directors and Actors."
"Hey why's the computer flipping out over Seventh Planet?"
"Looks like it's no longer making money. We might as well archive it."
"Archive?"
"Well, box in a closet is more accurate."

"Aww, our first movie. I feel a little bad just sticking it into a box."
"Really?"

"Heh, naw. Get it outta here."
"We can also look at how the movie performed overall."

"This is available for currently running movies as well, in case you ever want to guage their success."
"Oh man sure do love boring-rear end numbers and graphs. How's the two films coming along?"

"Fairly well so far. Both are on task, so with any luck we can release at the same time."

"...Does that look familiar to anyone?"
"It's the stage, every scene will look the same out of context."
"...Fair enough, I suppose."

"Bradford has a surprisingly high stress threshold."
"The commander hasn't exactly been easy on him since the X-COM Project began."
"Yeah, he should thank me."
"I definitely did not say that."
"That script finished, who wants to take bets?"

"Ffffffffffflush"
"Speaking of which, now might be a good time to let you know of a secret project I've been doing."
"Oh, God no"
"Not THAT kind of secret project. I've had the computer running some data on making a better bathroom, one less... 'hole-in-the-ground'ey."
"Whew."
"What do you mean by 'THAT' kind of secre--"
"Hey look Blenkinsop's getting hit!"

"Hah! Although you know, THIS seems familiar too."

"Bradford seems to be working hard."
"Have you ever seen any of the directors sit in those chairs? I swear they usually stand."
"Good news, Commander! The computer has finished it's upgraded bathroom design!"
"Sweet, let's take a look."

"...That's... a set."
"No, no... something must be off, let me..."
"There's definitely no plumbing involved, the computer designed a set."
"That or the computer thinks it's cool to have a wide open toilet experience."

"No dammit! How did it even come up with this?!"
"Actually this is pretty cool, I'll take new sets."
"God dammit where the hell are my human scientists! This drat computer..."
"Don't you insult my computer. I spent an unreasonable amount of time on this AI. We're lucky the system core could fit in Bradford's car."
"A shame Bradford couldn't. Heh"

"Urgghhh"
"Check it out, I'm making a token effort to make the place look nicer."
"Still upset about that Hollywood Reporter review?"
"Well it's not funny when they negatively review ME."

"There, that looks nice, right. Trees and poo poo."
"At least you didn't just buy a dozen more vehic..."
"Huh?"
"...nothing."

"I've got another sci-fi script being made, I just realized that awards ceremony is coming up pretty soon."
"I am impressed by how openly you plan to make an oscar-bait movie."
"...The green dude in the garbage can?"
"...What?"
"Actually that fits better, given our 'winning' streak."
"I'm going to ignore that remark, partially because it's probably true, and partially because The Night Follower finished."

"And... released."
"Let's see how our new director did."

"Wait a second, that looked a lot like The Submarine Gang, except in a cellar."
"Maybe we can play it off like Jaws, where it was more spooky BECAUSE we barely got to see the monster."
"I think they said that about Signs too."
"...Euh nevermind."
"I'm counting that Cenema review against Bradford, since he was the only performance."

"And with that, French Polish is just about finished too."
"God dammit Vahlen, I'm never letting you touch the computer again."
"You have to sleep some time."

"HAH! AAAAHAHAHAHAHA!"
"That was King Con."
"That was just King Con. Shot for Shot."
"The only difference is that one of the crew members was different. Dear god are we already rehashing film scripts?"
"Look at those reviews! The public LOVES seeing Blenkinsop get the beat down!"

"Oh, will you look at that."
"The gently caress?"
"These are minor awards given out by the Lionhead Motion Picture Awards. Somewhat like the awards at the ceremony, but we aren't competing for them."
"Sweet, can we pawn it?"
"No, but if we complete the set, we get a certificate and a specialized building plan by the LMPA."
"NOW I'm interested."

"Your Osc-- er, Lionhead-bait script is done."
"Oh man, and they even had it take place on the starship. The stars are aligning, I can feel it! Allan Lives Forever is going to be the one!"

"Eh, wha?"
"Ah, that event I mentioned before came to pass. It looks like genre interest in the Action genre has jumped. Fortunately, it doesn't negatively effect and genres, so your sci-fi script is fine."

"The computer will automatically keep track of genre interest here."
"I guess we can gun for Action next. For now, let's get Allan Lives Forever on the road."

"I have to warn you, the orange bar below Bradford, Brazil, and Lane's portrait means they're in a bad mood. Bad moods WILL affect their performance."
"Oh god dammit, tell Bradford to suck it up. I swear he better not ruin this for me."

"King Con has ended it's run. Fortunately we released the exact same movie shortly ago."
"Cool, let's stuff it in the box."

"Wait what the gently caress"
"This might be a good time to mention, we can adjust the wages of our stars here."
"No wait, our rank ju--"

"Low salaries compared to relative success will upset the stars, and a high salary will boost their star rating"
"Vahlen didn't you see th--"
"I really suggest you raise some of their wages, especially since it'll boost popularity for the awards show"
"Oh my god fine, look."

"That's... shockingly generous."
"There. Now shut up. Next person to interrupt me gets a punch to the D."
"...She doesn't have a D, that's not exactly fair."
"Sometimes the D is metaphorical."

"Look, look look look."
"We're ranked THIRD?"
"Why didn't you say so in the first place!"
"Hggphk"

"Well our actors are still on the low end, but the fact that we managed to leap over two other studios in rank is extremely impressive."
"That's great, but let's check up on Allan Lives Forever. Let's keep this momentum up!"

"Brookes apparently feels the burn a bit too."
"You REALLY should rotate stars, rather than having everyone going constantly."
"Fine, god drat, once we get our awards everyone can have a vacation."
"...From acting, right?"
"Oh right, we're still a military group. Yeah not from fighting, whenever we get a chance to fight back."

"Oh hey, some more troops arrived, they must have heard the news about our rank."
"...Are they SERIOUSLY trying to use the stage for an action movie? Despite the MASSIVE desert set we have?"
"I honestly think the writers are screwing with you now."
"Oh we'll see who's laughing in a minute."

"...Wait now Commander, if we do that, we'll have no place to practice comedies."
"Then we just won't MAKE anymore god drat comedies."

"Hah! Hahaha!"
"...I'll send over a janitorial crew."

"God that feels SO good."
"That damaged our lot prestige quite a bit."

"...That release date is getting WAY closer to that trophy, I thought we had way more time than that."
"The estimate isn't precise, it doesn't account for moving equipment and the like."
"You have no idea how much poo poo I'm going to flip if this goes where I think it's going."

"How long does it take to make a drat movie?!"
"These things can't be rushed."
"The hell they can't!"

"Oh my god, just a little more, maybe the counter is off slightly, maybe--"
"Hey guys, you all ready for the ceremony?"
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE."
"Lynette thought we should pause filming so we can attend the ceremony, after all, we might be up for nomination!"
"BRADFORD YOU FU--"

(Click any of the below images to watch the awards ceremony!)

"Too bad, maybe next time."
"T H E R E W I L L B E N O N E X T T I M E"
"I'm going to head back to the set. We only have a bit of work left on Allan Lives Forever."
"A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A"
"...Bradford you should REALLY go now, I don't want all that work going to waste."

"Hey, we might be bottom of the barrel again, but at least we got the second part of the certificate!"
"We're basically guaranteed to get the next part with our next film."

"Which incidentally, just finished."
"V E N G E A N C E"
"I know Commander. Let's set the film to release."

"...Huh, I don't think we missed out on not having this released before the awards show."
"I think the Commander passed out."
"Good, let him rest, maybe he'll forget when he gets up."

"Did that do it?"
"I think..."

"Yep! There it is!"
"Well at least we got something. Frankly I didn't think we'd get even this far."

"Oof, those are some tall orders."
"We'll get there in time. He might be a moron and an rear end, but the Commander has a knack for pulling victories out of nowhere."
"Speaking of which, he really seems to be out cold. I hope he's not dead."
"He'll be fine, I'm sure."
"This would be the perfect time to test out that meld-based nanotec..."
"..."
"...I mean"
"Oh go ahead, you earned it. I'll say he got bit by a mosquito."
"Yaay!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh man, that Vahlen/Shen dialog :allears:

And hey, Allan Lives Forever actually looked like it had something happen in it! Kind of.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Wow when I was reading previews about The Movies many many years ago it seemed like it would be awesome with unlimited ability to create actual movies that at the very least lasted 10-20 minutes that could be entertaining and varied and you would have have huge control over everything! Seeing all these less than a minute and already rehashed with craptastic animations clips and just overall shoddyness makes me realize why no one ever wanted to speak about it after it actually came out.

Will the clips actually ever be anything but absolutely laughably awful garbage? I am guessing hell no.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So now that we have the custom script office, you realize one of the characters is required to write at least one script each update, right? :v:

And no, the Commander's scripts can't all be Blenkinsop Gets Hit in the Face sequels.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

"There. Now shut up. Next person to interrupt me gets a punch to the D."
"...She doesn't have a D, that's not exactly fair."
"Sometimes the D is metaphorical."

I knew that was coming back. :allears:

Is Bradford getting older, or does he just have white hair because that's the costume for this role?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Even when cranking out movies as fast as I could, I've never had a script reused like that. Wow.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's always a good time when Vahlen is happy. :3:

The reviews are great. I'm not convinced the entire game wasn't just a huge stab at the film industry.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Even when cranking out movies as fast as I could, I've never had a script reused like that. Wow.

It's a script that speaks to the innermost desires of man, to punch Blenkinsop in the face, and it should be seen again and again.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The Night Follower:
"X-Cam Studios used some Hollywood magic to restore my gouged out eyes so I could watch their latest masterpiece. Thanks X-Cam! 5 stars."
French Polish:
"Remarkable! Even better than King Con!'
Allen Lives Forever:
"Simply amazing! I have traded my right arm to a mysterious China-man just so I could have the pleasure of experienceing this movie for the first time all over again. It was well worth the cost."

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 16, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is French Polish someone from France and Poland, or using a French brand of furniture polish?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No, it's someone tongue-kissing a sausage.

it Follows actually seems to inadvertently have a realistic plot. I actually found it a bit unnerving. That which we cannot understand frightens us the most.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Allan lives forever has a plot to it, too: Allan is an officer on board a starship that keeps getting hit with deadly cosmic rays. However, due to a curious incident of spacetime, he cannot die, and is trapped eternally in a loop of living, dying, and resurrecting.

It was too ahead of its time for a simple populace who just wanted one guy to get punched in the face over and over again.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Night Follower: The groundbreaking idea to film from the perspective of the antagonist is ruined by the so-called 'acting' of the protagonist.

French Polish: A worthy successor to King Con. Two fists up.

Allan Lives Forever: The title tells the whole movie. Save your money for French Polish.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
While some have praised "The Night Follower" for its psychological realism, I personally was disgusted that the motion picture industry thinks nihilistic terror makes for good entertainment. Our supposed hero is a morally repugnant character, who spends the majority of the picture cowering in terror from an unseen adversary. What sort of role model is this?!

Skip this experimental 'horror' films, and treat yourself instead to the good-natured slapstick violence of "French Polish"!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
'The Night Follower' is a metaphor for the idea of the concept of the meme of that which lurks within the id of all mankind.

Let's not kid ourselves, 'French Polish' practically is 'King Con'. But you know what? I could see that guy getting punched in the face forever!

'Allan Lives Forever' is a triumph of the Sci-fi genre, promising both the utopia of medical science so perfect that even death itself has no sting, and the horrifying dystopia of eternal conflict. It makes you marvel, then it makes you think. A classic!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

As seems to be too often the case, X-Cam studios latest releases are a mixed bag.

On the one hand, French Polish shows that X-Cam KNOWS what audiences want. Another real winner in the vein of "King Con", it shows that films CAN be art.

On the other, The Night Follower. I'll admit that I would flinch in terror if I had to spend any time looking at sets for "The Submarine Gang", but reminding us of that particular piece cinematic drivel is a crime against humanity.

And Allan Lives Forever falls right in the middle. With Bradford in the mix, I'll admit I expected the worst, and to some extent I found it. But the central character of Allan Conroy was enough to justify the film. A seemingly simple soul, Lt. Allan is more than a mere player in a dashed off hack's poor excuse for a Submarine Gang followup. He presents a mirror to the audience, a simple but profound wanderer who EXEMPLIFIES the best of humanity while considering the worst.

For once, the title of an X-Cam production holds true. Allan WILL live forever... in our hearts.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Koboje posted:

Wow when I was reading previews about The Movies many many years ago it seemed like it would be awesome with unlimited ability to create actual movies that at the very least lasted 10-20 minutes that could be entertaining and varied and you would have have huge control over everything! Seeing all these less than a minute and already rehashed with craptastic animations clips and just overall shoddyness makes me realize why no one ever wanted to speak about it after it actually came out.

Will the clips actually ever be anything but absolutely laughably awful garbage? I am guessing hell no.

Surprisingly... While they will never (maybe) have anything but Simlish for voices once we finally get sound, some of the procedurally generated scripts will actually make sense/be mildly entertaining once the scriptwriters get good enough. This, however, may take a while.

But there is a reason the script office is an early reward, and there are also reasons why only a few costumes, sets, and actions are used. See, even now, there is a hidden Council who really pull the strings...

So, reviews!

French Polish - "The clever subversion of expectations had me rolling in my seat. Blenkinsop got slapped, and I got tickled!"
The Night Follower - "The existential threat had me gripping the edge of my preconceptions of fear!"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

While I've heard many of my colleagues criticize A French Polish for its similarities to A King Con, I cannot help that these references are deliberate. To understand the director's intent, we should view these two films as part of a larger whole. In King Con, the audience watches as Clint Brisco (Bryan Brazil) beats an unnamed well-dressed figure (R. Blenkinsop). It ends with the well-dressed man surrendering, intimidated by the strength of his poorly dressed counterpart. A French Polish reverses the roles of Brazil and Blenkinsop. It is now Blenkinsop, deprived of his wealth, that beats Brazil, who has become fat and complacent.

Given the title and the role reversal, the film can only be a commentary on the state of interwar Europe. Filmed and produced in the same year as the Locarno Treaties and the same year that France began the Maginot Line, A French Polish is a warning not to discount Germany, stripped of its Kaiser and its wealth, after its defeat at the hands of "King Con," the Entente. Just as Britain, France, and Russia relied on their working poor to fuel their military might, so too is the Wiemar Republic using the common man to rebuild itself. Fascism, which relies on images of the common man to build allegiance to the greater nation, threatens to bring war back to Europe just as Blenkinsop brings the fight back to Brazil. A French Polish shows the consequences of a Europe that allows fascism to run amok. Unless Britain and France boost their military strength, they will be defeated at the hands of this old enemy.

A French Polish possesses incredible importance and taken with its predecessor, is a blueprint toward global peace. It is not merely a slapstick comedy, but a sophisticated analysis of international affairs. Matt Lane should be lauded for his courage and foresight.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The dialog in this LP is loving excellent. The comment about one of the soldiers being qualified to direct Horror because she was on the Newfoundland mission might be in-jokey as hell to folks who have played Enemy Within, but I don't care, it was brilliant.

e: By the way

Why the hell is there an actor named fsdg

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread