Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the view is so beautiful all the way down

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

moose face posted:

the view is so beautiful all the way down
_______/_____/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

spooky girlfriend posted:

Why not hope for something more realistic, like NASA, the European Space Agency, a few private companies, and maybe a few countries like China and India coming together in 20+ years to design a more feasible plan, possibly implemented before 30 years from now.

i can only hope for one thing at a time buddy and watching nerds get mad is all i've got

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i hope all yoir wishes are fulfilled

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

SPACE gay

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

snodig posted:

what would be your first thread on sa after landing on mars?

I Will Protect You From The Terrible Secret of Space

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

snodig posted:

what would be your first thread on sa after landing on mars?

ITT i am on mars

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Can't wait for the first FYAD from Mars. And the subsequent 'ban me' when the goon learns it takes about 30 min. inbetweeen page refresh.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
If they were serious about populating mars, they would send a bunch of women with barrel of sperm up there.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I hope the final 24 martians they send over here aren't just a bunch of loser nerds.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

non-profits are honestly some of the biggest legal scams in 2015. Not to say all of them are, but there are several foundations that basically don't do anything other than line the pockets of the administrators and occasionally throw lavish awareness banquets.

The NFL is a non-profit.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

katlington posted:

everybody in a race to leave their corpse the furthest away from the lander

you just made me realize how awesome reality tv game shows will be in a few more decades

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i hope the first person on mars says something really stupid as they descend the ladder so it has to be repeated through all of humanities future, like they're a brony or something

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
"And as I descend these final stairs from our lander towards the Mars surface, I realize: This will be my grave. I am an idiot."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

quote:

The small boy on the country road looked up and screamed. “Look, Mom, look! A falling star!”

The blazing white star fell down the sky of dusk in Illinois.

“Make a wish,” said his mother. “Make a wish.”

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

imo this would be better if the world as a whole could nominate 100 people to send to mars

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

spooky girlfriend posted:

you just made me realize how awesome reality tv game shows will be in a few more decades

i hope we go full dystopian capitalism and just have bloodsports where we pit poor people against other poor people for basic necessities and stuff

what was that awful movie where rich people in the future literally stole years of a person's life away from poor people and you could earn back years of your life through some equally ridiculous reality tv show?

i want that, but, like, irl and preferably im not participating

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The first batch of colonists will murder each other on the way there over the privilege to be the first man to step on the Mars surface.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What would I invent for Mars One?

I don't know if this would really be an invention but I certainly would research the power of the human mind further. I'm sure that lucid dreaming provides a valuable tool for Mars inhabitants longing for Earth (mentioned by myself here); but we yet need to understand how to induce this state reliably. I'd love to establish a culture that values dreams, dream practice and research. Additionally, even though I have a physicalist view of the mind, I do not want to preclude the possibility of communication via minds alone. There are a lot of people who claim to dream telepathically together. And there are easy experiments that can be designed to test these claims. I understand that this can be done on Earth, but insights could be used on a foreign planet. And a new world like Mars can provide a framework in which these questions can be adressed scientifically, leaving superstition behind. After all, who knows how the mind works? According to our theories of the physical world, there couldn't be such a thing as phenomenal experiences. Which laws do they obey?

More morons here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iLWCCHcEYurKZmNEQ8xeu5R-WYfW_JhIU-gSVipVVM8/edit?pli=1
http://thefpl.us/episode/140

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

GBS 3.0 ON MARS

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Mars one colony the year 2026

"Hey John"
"Yeah?"
"Do uh, do you have stairs in your house?"
"I am protected"
"That explains the smell."

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

wikipedia posted:

Robert Zubrin, advocate for manned Martian exploration, said "I don't think the business plan closes it. We're going to go to Mars, we need a billion dollars, and we're going to make up the revenue with advertising and media rights and so on. You might be able to make up some of the money that way, but I don't think that anyone who is interested in making money is going to invest on that basis — invest in this really risky proposition, and if you're lucky you'll break even? That doesn't fly."[109] Despite his criticisms of some of the elements of Mars One, Zubrin became an advisor to Mars One on 10 October 2013.[89]

Many have also criticized the project's US$6 billion budget as being far too low to successfully transport humans to Mars. A similar project study by NASA estimated the cost of such a feat at US$100 billion, although that included transporting the astronauts back to Earth. Objections have also been raised regarding the reality TV project associated with the expedition. Given the transient nature of most reality TV ventures, many believe that as viewership declines, funding could significantly decrease thereby harming the entire expedition.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah what morons! don't they realize staying on earth makes them immortal?

oh wait no, going to mars makes them loving immortal. dying in the name of science and for the future of our species is the best death possible, idiots. if we want the species - and as far as we know, life at all - to survive past the next asteroid we gotta get our eggs out of this one rapidly disintegrating basket. every data point matters when you're talking about interplanetary colonization.

firefighters risk their lives to save a city, but astronauts risk their lives to save everyone. they have my respect, admiration and envy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

chaosbreather posted:

oh wait no, going to mars makes them loving immortal. dying in the name of science and for the future of our species is the best death possible, idiots. if we want the species - and as far as we know, life at all - to survive past the next asteroid we gotta get our eggs out of this one rapidly disintegrating basket. every data point matters when you're talking about interplanetary colonization.

firefighters risk their lives to save a city, but astronauts risk their lives to save everyone. they have my respect, admiration and envy.

interstellar was honestly a pretty bad movie

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

dying in the name of science and for the future of our species is the best death possible, idiots.

I bet Josef Mengele dropped this exact same line on people

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gonna hike olympus mons and lol at everest faggots

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

more like olympus pubes

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
tbf if group of people are willing to die for sake of paving the road for subsequent groups then more power to them.

tho these people will more likely sit six months in washing machine and then they are told that they have landed on Mars and then the film crew can film new reality tv series as everyone involved proceeds to murder each other.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Every gas tank and M.R.E these idiots leave behind on the surface will help future, serious colonists.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
If they make it to Mars and get set up, Earth will be in for a rare treat: they'll get to see normal, well-behaved, and industrious people go completely Lord of the Flies on live television. That's the only way this will end. It only takes one guy trying to hoard or get a little extra to spark an entire resource war that will end with paranoia and psychological breaks. All but one or two will be dead within a year.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'll use my farts to provide extra thrust for the journey

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Who is the sexiest of the remaining candidates?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

chaosbreather posted:

none of these people are going to mars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

how me a frog posted:

Who is the sexiest of the remaining candidates?

Decide for yourself: https://community.mars-one.com/index.php/last_activity/ALL/18/82/ALL/ALL/5/3/

With stunning portfolios such as

quote:

I like metal music, although I listen to every kind of music as well. I am spiritual. A huge fan of cultures. Always looking for something new. I’d love to go to mars for life. Experience and learning are my goals in life so this would be fulfilling in every way

quote:

Hi! I’m Sabrina, a world traveler who’s visited over 25 countries and lived in 3. I’m currently residing in Japan, where I work as a teacher, musician, writer, editor, and photographer. My lifelong goal is to have visited every continent, immersed myself in various cultures, and finally take to the stars!

quote:

I’m fascinated by space and stars, gizmos and gadgets and all sorts of inventions from clockwork to 3D printers and alternative energy technologies, and lasers and invisibility cloaks! My favorite thing in the night sky is the pleiades star cluster unless there’s lightning, & I love building stuff
they are posed for success!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 18, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i like seeing how narrow minded people are when the subject comes to space. it allows me to judge your character and general genetic makeup

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

1gnoirents posted:

i like seeing how narrow minded people are when the subject comes to space. it allows me to judge your character and general genetic makeup

Hm, sending a bunch of kids to space to shoot a reality show is a sign of great progress and enlightenment.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Decide for yourself: https://community.mars-one.com/index.php/last_activity/ALL/18/82/ALL/ALL/5/3/

With stunning portfolios such as

they are posed for success!

Thanks mate, looking through these profiles actually fills me with confidence. I'm pretty sure we've sucessfuly shot dogs into space before.

I too wish I could be immortalized in reverant conversations such as.

"Hey remember those dorks who died on Mars or whatever?"

"No."

"Yeah me neither..."

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Mars One
Maso Rne
Aso Rnem
Oas Rmne
Roa Smne
Sroa Mne
Sroma ne
Man Sroe
Man Roes
Man Sore
San More
I'm Gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

In response to the Focus section in Zubrin's book [i:post_uid0]Entering Space[/i:post_uid0], I have generated this list of Human Rights. I have also posted it on the web as part of a proposed constitution (although the governmental portions are currently empty) at the following URL: Martian Constitution.
I would like to point out that I intend to synthesize a new document from the discussion here, and update the web version from time to time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I A Declaration of Rights
We declare and confirm that all Humans are born free and equal and are endowed with a certain dignity and with certain inalienable rights. In order to protect and safeguard these rights, we list them here and forbid any Martian to abridge or infringe upon these rights. Further there shall be no laws made that restrict these rights, except to protect the superior rights of others. The rights given in this declaration shall apply in the order and precedence in which they are named.
1 Right to Equal Opportunity and Protection
Everyone, regardless of race, colour, sex, native language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or status, is entitled to equal treatment in terms of the rights and freedoms to which they are entitled. Furthermore, all are entitled to equal opportunity for employment and education, and to equal protection under the law.
No group based on race, colour, sex, religion, political organization, or nationality may be given preferential treatment in terms of employment, education, rights, or entitlement regardless of past discrimination, persecution or forced servitude. Nor can any group based on these things be subjected to discriminatory treatment because of past discrimination, persecution, or forced servitude or others.
2 Right to Freedom of Religion, Speech, and the Press
Everyone has the right to practice any religion they may choose, or to practice no religion at all. All religions shall be considered equally valid provided there is at least one established body of people who practice it. The right to practice a religion does not grant an individual the right to commit criminal acts.
Everyone has the right to speak freely without fear of arrest, censure, or fine regardless of whether others may find their words offensive. The right to free speech also applies to written and electronic forms of communication. No one shall abridge or diminish this right be they private citizen, business, employer, or the government.
3 Right to Life, Liberty, and Security of Person
Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and security of person. No one has the right to kill except if they or another be in immediate jeopardy of losing their life. Furthermore everyone has the right to waive their right to life, and so to end their life or to permit someone to end it, and to engage in behavior them may endanger themselves, but not others.
To support the right to life, everyone has an entitlement to have access to the basic requirements of life, such as food, housing, clothing, and basic health care. Any person (such as a child, or the disabled) not having access to these requirements shall be provided with them until such time as they can provide them for themselves.
To support the right to security of person, everyone has the right to keep and bear weapons and arms except when the keeping or use of a weapon poses an unreasonable risk to others. Weapons of mass destruction are specifically excluded from this right.
4 Right to Sovereignty
Everyone has the right to sovereignty over their body and what they do with it, or put on it. No one may, by exercising this right, endanger or infringe on the rights of another.
No one may be forced to tattoo, pierce, or mutilate their body or have their body tattooed, pierced, or mutilated, nor may they be forced to perform any sexual act, ingest any substance, wear any clothing or device, or submit to medical care.
Conversely everyone may, as they see fit, tattoo, pierce, mutilate, or alter their own body and may perform any sexual act, ingest any substance, wear any clothing or device, and submit to whatever medical care that they see fit.
5 Right to Freedom from Torture and Cruelty
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment.
6 Right to the Free Pursuit of Knowledge
Everyone has the right to pursue whatever knowledge or technology they desire so long as they do not endanger or infringe upon the rights of others.
7 Right to Marriage and to set the terms of Marriage
Everyone has the right to marry or to not marry whomever they wish and to set beforehand the terms of the marriage contract. However, all such contracts must provide for the care of any offspring ensuing from the marriage.
8 Right to Procreate
Everyone has the right to procreate, or to choose not to. Responsibility for the child ensuing from the procreation by default falls upon the biological parents of the child, but may be assigned to others by agreement either permanently or in whatever manner agreed upon. If assigned permanently, the biological parents no longer have any responsibility or interest in the child.
9 Right to Self-Government
The people have the right to govern themselves by direct vote wherever practicable, and where not practicable to invest in certain individuals whatever authorities and powers are not best served by direct vote.
10 Right to Peaceably Assemble
The people have the right to peaceably assemble.
11 Right to Travel
All Citizens have the right to travel and to immigrate and emigrate as they wish, although they may be detained briefly on immigration for purposes of determining citizenship.
12 Right to Freedom from Arbitrary Arrest
No one shall be arrested or held against their will without having been charged with a crime or having been informed of what crime they are suspected of, and then for no more than 24 hours without being charged with a crime.
13 Right to Privacy
Everyone has the right to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, electronic media, and effects, against all searches and seizures without a warrant issued by a grand jury which has determined there to be probable cause supported by open affirmation made under penalty of perjury. Refusal to submit to a warrantless search may not be held to be probable cause for issuing a warrant.
To support their right to privacy, everyone has the right to use encryption to prevent unintended persons from reading or overhearing statements made to specific persons. The mere fact that encryption has been used may not be interpreted as evidence of wrongdoing.
14 Right to Full Access to Information and Knowledge
The people have a right to full knowledge of the activities of their Government, except for matters of colonial security that should remain secret. A grand jury shall determine what information constitutes a matter of colonial security.
Further, everyone has the right to access any knowledge put into the public domain, broadcast on the public electromagnetic spectrum, or sent via the public Internet. This right does not restrict a person's right to privacy.
To support the right to full access to knowledge, everyone has the right to petition the their Government for disclosure of information.
15 Right to Property
Everyone has the right to own property, whether solely or jointly with others and to use it in any manner that they see fit.
No one may be deprived of the full use of their property through force or fraud nor may they be charged for the right to own property. They may not be forced to share their property with others nor to quarter others in their home.
A person's body and the fruits of their labor are their own property.
16 Right to Practice One's Chosen Profession
Everyone has the right to practice the profession of their choice without regard to whether or not they hold any license, certification, or specific education. Of course, everyone has the right not to patronize or employ a person because they lack such license, certification, or education.
17 Right to the Opportunity for Useful Employment
Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favorable working conditions, and to have their work be useful.
No one may be deprived of their right to work because of race, colour, sex, religion, nationality, or their association or non-association with any political or other organization.
Also, all persons are entitled to equal pay for equal work regardless of race, colour, sex, religion, nationality, or their association or non-association with any political or other organization.
No one who is not a member of a labor union may be forced to accept a union contract.
18 Right to Free Enterprise
Everyone has the right to engage in any business they choose alone or in association with others and to form a corporate entity to govern the association.
No one may be required to hold any license or permit to engage in any business so long as they do not endanger others.
19 Right to Justice
Everyone has the right to bring suit against any other person for crimes and misdemeanors committed against them and for acts violating their fundamental rights.
No person shall have immunity from such prosecution regardless of race, colour, sex, religion, nationality, diplomatic status, or their association or non-association with any political or other organization.
20 Right to the Presumption of Innocence
Everyone has the right to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law.
No one may be held to be guilty of any crime, or misdemeanor on the basis of any fact or omission which did not constitute a crime, or misdemeanor at the time when it was committed nor may a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that applied at the time the crime, or misdemeanor was committed.
21 Right to Freedom from Unjust Prosecution
Everyone has the right to be free from unjust prosecution and frivolous and extortionate lawsuits.
To preserve this right, any person accused of a crime, or misdemeanor may bring a counter-suit of harassment and false arrest to be tried conjointly with the original suit, by the same jury.
22 Right to Freedom from Double Jeopardy and Self-Incrimination
No one may be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb for the same offense.
Everyone has the right not to incriminate themselves.
Further a person's statements which were made before they had been charged with a crime or informed that they are suspected of a crime, whether verbal, written, or electronic, may not be used against them in a court of law, except where they were obtained pursuant to a warrant or the intended recipient of the statements present the evidence.
23 Right to a Timely and Public Trial by Impartial Informed Jury
All persons prosecuted for crimes and misdemeanors shall have the right to a timely and public trial by an impartial jury in a court with jurisdiction over the crime or misdemeanor.
24 Right to Face One's Accusers
All persons prosecuted for crimes and misdemeanors shall have the right to be present at trial, and to have all accusers and witnesses present, and to witness the verdict.
25 Right to Full Investigation
Any person bringing suit as the victim of a crime or misdemeanor shall have the right to hire someone to investigate the matter or to do so themselves. The accused has the right to have the findings of any investigation made available to them.
26 Right to Equal, Accessible Counsel
Everyone involved in prosecution for crimes and misdemeanors shall have the assistance of council for the prosecution and defense and to have free and confidential access to such counsel. The cost of this counsel as well as all other court cost shall be borne by the loser.
27 Right to Judicial Review
All persons convicted of crimes or misdemeanors shall have the right to have the court record reviewed by a grand jury to determine is there is probable cause for the verdict to be appealed by a higher court.

• Locked thread