Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Simon Despres, doing Simon Despres things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You guys aren't gonna believe this, but Kris Letang took an open-look slapshot and missed the net

You won't believe this either, but the Penguins guys immediately commenced gushing over what an amazingly hard slapshot it was

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yellow--er, sorry, "Pittsburgh gold"--isn't my favorite color in the world, but man I LOVE these uniforms compared to those heinous blue monstrosities they insisted on wearing for years

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I just want to note for the record that even though I've called Alex Ovechkin overrated for years, I am loving terrified of him 100% of the time that he is on the ice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nice pass Rob :bravo:

Scuderi may skate like he's underwater and frequently fall on his rear end when he's supposed to be protecting the slot, but at least he makes up for it with accurate passing! :suicide:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I know their numbers aren't actually that bad but 4-on-4 feels even worse than being shorthanded because the Penguins aren't allowed to ice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK whew, now they're shorthanded, crisis averted

e: Wait no I forgot, Johnston's idea of a good 3-man PK unit is Adams-Sutter-Scuderi

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Protip: Giving the puck directly to Ovechkin in the neutral zone when you have no one at all in your own end is a Bad Idea

hth

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly the Penguins are a cherry picker's dream come true

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

Why do I feel like this game is over already?

Because it is. I'm also thinking of switching to a different game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Whoa, I JUST switched to the Maple Leafs game and watched the Maple Leafs score a goal :stare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ovi is powered by his beard right? I feel like he's really turned it on since the new year.

That's what he does every year, like clockwork

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins just are hopeless to prevent Ovechkin from doing whatever he wants, they have exactly one player who's both fast and good at defense and they studiously avoid ever putting him on the ice at the same time as Ovechkin

But let's keep throwing some more grit and toughness at him, I'm sure that'll work!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Who is this Laata guy and why is he losing a fight to Robert Bortuzzo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Letang dead again

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Penguins broadcast just can't get enough of the replay of Ehrhoff concussing himself

Hockey game over, fight begins

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Man it was just random dumb luck that Letang got hurt that bad, but Ovechkin took a full two-handed Paul Bunyan hack at Letang's ankles. How the hell is that not a penalty?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good god Sutter do not let Ovechkin just loving stand in the crease man!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

WHY IS NO ONE WATCHING OVECHKIN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??? :cripes:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins seem to want to play the rest of the game 4-on-4

That is not to their advantage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Letang alive :monocle:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Downie you bozo :ughh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well at least we won't have to watch more than 60 minutes tonight right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jfc what do you have to do to get a hooking penalty? Actually use your stick to extract a guy's lung?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The officiating tonight is pretty much everything that's wrong with the NHL

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

The officiating tonight is pretty much everything that's wrong with the NHL

I posted that before that horrendous bailout whistle

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins' top six forwards have been awful tonight. Not sure what's wrong, they're just not sharp. Passes constantly off target, shots off target, can't maintain possession, I dunno. Just an off night, I guess.

I'm fairly impressed they didn't get blown out tonight, given that

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nice selling job by Ward there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well, gg fellas.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins did not play very well, the refs were godawful but it's not all their fault

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Heaf posted:

Nick Backstrom: Hart darkhorse?

Nah, it'll be Ovechkin like it always is

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins might get past the Rangers if they're lucky enough to draw them in the first round, but round 2 is as far as they're going to get. The team desperately needs to clear out the useless "grit" players and get some speed. Without spending any money because they have no cap space. I dunno.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

myron cope posted:

how is letang back in the game

I was wondering that too. So which is it--did he do a spectacular acting job in a valiant effort to get Ovechkin sent to the box, or did he get knocked unconscious and then was sent back into the game five minutes later?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

The refs successfully gave the capitals a win.

I don't recall the refs having much to do with the comical misplay that handed the Caps their first goal on a silver platter with accompanying flatware

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

7-10-4 vs the Metro? Haha what the poo poo.

Could just be that the teams that play the Penguins the most have a better idea of how exactly to beat them. Then again it's pretty obvious how to beat the Penguins (by exploiting their teamwide slowness and frustrating them into idiotic penalties and mistakes) so maybe it's just random.

Different topic: I really don't understand why Ovechkin is so often allowed to just stand on the left faceoff dot or right behind the goalie and wait for the puck to come to him. It's not just the Penguins that let him do this so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Because if you run a diamond coverage as most teams do, your job to to cover passing lanes. If you commit a guy to someone away from the play short handed, they will just take that space for a better shot of their own.

Yes but it seems plausible that Ovechkin is a special case that requires a different strategy

• Locked thread