Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the local movie theaters here are now offering a monthly subscription to watch as many movies as you want a month because leaving the house for netflix is a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

How much is it?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Pay $15 to stream a movie that was just released for 24 hours that'll be the end of it.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

ColoradoCleric posted:

the local movie theaters here are now offering a monthly subscription to watch as many movies as you want a month because leaving the house for netflix is a good idea

thats awesome how much and where

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
I like to go to movie theatres in the winter when I want to get out of the house.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I paid 34.50 to see clash of the titans and never have I felt so duped

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why yes i will pay $30 for a bag of popcorn

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ColoradoCleric posted:

I would totally go for this. I enjoy watching movies in theaters it's just hard to justify how expensive they are for a single viewing.

Or maybe just make it so movie theaters are tied to some sort of digital service where you could always restream movies you had watched in the past or something. It just feels like a really bad value compared to most other modern forms of entertainment. On the rare occasions I do go the theaters are pretty much empty other than maybe one or two other couples/families so it seems other people feel this way too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Movie theaters are good, and fun. Also I haven't actually paid for a ticket in 2+ years, since I get free movies instead of whatever lovely cash back other people get from their banks.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I've been meaning to get the opinions of some 2nd amendment people:

I understand the concept that if some poo poo goes down like a home invasion that the police are going to get there late and you need a gun to defend yourself, but it's hard for me to get down with open and concealed carry in public places. I keep thinking about what would happen in a darkened movie theater where a nutjob starts shooting up the place and a dozen-plus people in the audience draw and start firing from different directions, possibly on each other.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

down n out posted:

lol owned

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Month long pass to the jackatorium? Sign me up when all the disney cockbusters are playing!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
As long as there are Teenagers, there will be a market for Movie Theaters

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
every movie ive been to in the last 3-4 years has been on a sunday afternoon and has been about 6 bucks a ticket which i think is pretty ok for a new release on a big screen with a good sound system

also I dont get snacks because i'm not a fatty

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

down n out posted:

what in the ever-loving gently caress is wrong with you

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
1 movie a day for 30 days for $30: https://www.moviepass.com/

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

ColoradoCleric posted:

1 movie a day for 30 days for $30: https://www.moviepass.com/

holy gently caress that's a lot of movies

I probably see fewer than 30 a year

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i don't have 3d, hd surround sound, and a 90 foot screen in my house

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They are in aurora

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like to leave the house every once in a while

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

nomadologique posted:

i don't have 3d, hd surround sound, and a 90 foot screen in my house

You loving poor!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN105S9-Curved-105-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00L403O8U

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Every major theater in my city is packed just about every weekend. Hollywood is losing money lately, but it's not because people aren't going to theaters at all. It's mostly because Hollywood is filled with idiots sinking huge budgets into garbage movies.

Regardless, if they really aren't satisfied with attendance (I understand it has dropped somewhat), all they need to do is force the big theater chains like Regal to drop their jacked up ticket prices.

Sometimes it seems like no one in California understands basic economics. When people aren't buying, you lower your prices and cut down on unnecessary overhead. It's not complicated. Instead, theaters have been consistently increasing prices the last several years, and studios are spending more and more on production.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 18, 2015

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
all the theaters I've been to in the last year or so try to upgrade you into vibrator chairs for like 20 bucks extra. lol.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

ticket prices here seem to be inflating at insane rates and the number of adverts (not trailers just regular tv adverts) they play before the trailers but after the start time of the movie is getting bigger and bigger and it makes me real mad

e: theyre opening a luxury cinema across the road from me in like two weeks maybe they wont have ads

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

ninotoreS posted:

Regardless, if they really aren't satisfied with attendance (I understand it has dropped somewhat), all they need to do is force the big theater chains like Regal to drop their jacked up ticket prices. .

considering that the entire deal is:

studio gets 90% of ticket revenues first week,
80% of ticket revenues second week,
50% of ticket revenues third week,
10% of ticket revenues after third week

or something like this, depending on the contract, there is no way the studios are going to force chains to decrease ticket prices. those ticket prices are the studio revenues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

monthly sub model sounds p great i'd have a hoot and a holler god bless financial innovation

• Locked thread