Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Um so I marathoned this show in a week plus and hot drat I'm hooked. S3 was a speed bump but I thought it picked up come S4 again. It looks like people are saying this show has run its course and is formulaic now but I'm still salivating for more like a big dumb dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Martytoof posted:

It looks like people are saying this show has run its course and is formulaic now but I'm still salivating for more like a big dumb dog.

I think the larger portion of people in this thread (myself included) were thrilled with season 4 and thought it was a giant step-up from Season 3.

At the end of season 3 I was just glad it was over, at the end of season 4 (like 1 and 2) I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just have the swearing in immediately following the murder. One final smug hair flip and firm stare as she puts her hand slowly, and gracefully, on the Bible.

Flip the whole thing in the finale and have Claire talking to the audience instead of Frank.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think the larger portion of people in this thread (myself included) were thrilled with season 4 and thought it was a giant step-up from Season 3.

At the end of season 3 I was just glad it was over, at the end of season 4 (like 1 and 2) I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

I was marathoning and didn't realize I started S4 and I was like "man S3 was slow but at least its getting good near the end".

In other news: I seriously thought Stamper was going to off himself to give up his kidney, for some reason. I mean that would be dumb as gently caress and I'm glad they didn't do it, but..

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Martytoof posted:

In other news: I seriously thought Stamper was going to off himself to give up his kidney, for some reason. I mean that would be dumb as gently caress and I'm glad they didn't do it, but..

I'm all for anything that leads to Doug getting killed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anals of History posted:

I'm all for anything that leads to Doug getting killed.

Rachel almost delivered :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
One more strike, and Rachel would've been the hero that saved us from the worst storylines.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Why did Doug kill Rachel again? I know that she knew stuff (although not even that much) but after she assumed a new identity and left the country why was she still worth tracking down?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Why did Doug kill Rachel again? I know that she knew stuff (although not even that much) but after she assumed a new identity and left the country why was she still worth tracking down?

I'm just guessing but he probably wanted to absolutely close the loop. He probably realized he hosed up and left the Underwoods exposed before and he didn't want to chance it again.

I mean, Gavin tracked her down before, there's always the possibility someone might pressure him to do it again despite his cane based beating.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 30, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He was obsessed with her. Doug's an addict AND an insane person, and he filters his addictive needs into obsessions.

He had a hosed up madonna/whore thing going with Rachel and couldn't deal with her moving on past him or changing up his image of her - when she attempted to kill him she not only completely upended his take on "the way things should be", but she reminded him that he himself was nothing to her despite thinking he absolutely controlled her. When he tried to let her go, he thought it would be reestablishing that she lived because HE chose to let her live, that she was moving on because HE allowed it.... and then he couldn't deal with that because he thought of her out there living her own life/being her own person and that once again upset his desire for control and perception of how the world should be.

Same deal in season 4 when he forces the kidney transplant issue so he can retake control of how things should be, then turns his guilt over that into obsession with the dead guy's family and infects their life as well. It'll make him feel better for awhile, then they'll stop fitting in with his idea of the way things are supposed to be and he'll destroy their lives somehow to regain his equilibrium.

At least, all that is my take on him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah, Rachel was definitely less of a threat to Underwood and more of a threat to Doug('s mental state).

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

At least, all that is my take on him.

That makes a lot of sense, and I might have felt more during the ~15 min spent on Rachel's eventual death if I had interpreted the scene as such. I took it as a man teetering between future redemption and no return, except Doug was already irredeemable fruitloop rear end in a top hat at that point. As a result, I thought the consternation Doug presented before killing Rachel seemed pointless.

Now that I'm caught up, I think I enjoyed/gasped at pretty much the same things everyone else did:
- Verbally murdering your wife's dreams and aspirations with your own State of the Union address for Hater of the Millenium status
- VP getting played like a fiddle
- You a muthafucka, Mister President
- Lucas Goodwin: Always more, always worse
- We make the terror (and feeling bad moments after fistpumping a little bit at that line)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm really glad they didn't turn Freddy into some magic negro character for Frank to lean on. Based on S1/2 I was sure that's what he'd end up as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Freddy was a great character start to finish IMO. It was very refreshing to have a character not playing the same game as everybody else.

• Locked thread