Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
SPOILER: Frank Underwolf commits acts of terrorism; gets comeuppance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Real Name Grover posted:

SPOILER: Frank Underwolf commits acts of terrorism; gets comeuppance

Best. House of Cards Episode. Ever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only way they can top the surprise from the first episode of season 2 is to have the first episode of season 3 feature the beginning of the zombie apocalypse that destroys the world in The Walking Dead. Not any other zombie apocalypses, that one specifically. The whole season is about Frank trying to keep the government together and eventually failing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

cheerfullydrab posted:

The only way they can top the surprise from the first episode of season 2 is to have the first episode of season 3 feature the beginning of the zombie apocalypse that destroys the world in The Walking Dead. Not any other zombie apocalypses, that one specifically. The whole season is about Frank trying to keep the government together and eventually failing.

Id rather a prequel to terminator but you're right, this would be more surprising :shrug:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

cheerfullydrab posted:

The surprise of Season 3 will be that Petrov is actually a good guy and that all Russian propaganda is true. Frank will slowly transform the United States and Europe into fascist dictatorships hellbent on destroying those who oppose them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently this is old news, but the two girls from the Russian band Pussy Riot will be in at least one episode. :woop:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I did notice while running through season 2 that one of the splash screens on the Roku Netflix channel shows shots from season 3. This specific shot shows Frank and Claire at what looks to be a campaign stop. There is a banner in the background that says 2016. So how far along was previous President in his term? Will a re-election campaign be a major story arc?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I did notice while running through season 2 that one of the splash screens on the Roku Netflix channel shows shots from season 3. This specific shot shows Frank and Claire at what looks to be a campaign stop. There is a banner in the background that says 2016. So how far along was previous President in his term? Will a re-election campaign be a major story arc?

For that matter, what exactly is the constitutional limitation on how long Frank can be President? He replaced Walker in Walker's first term, but should still be able to actually stand for election for 2 more terms as President, correct? Lyndon Johnson COULD have stood for a second elected term but chose not to, but was that simply due to how short a period he spent finishing up Kennedy's first term?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you serve 2 years or more of someone else's term, you can only run once. Johnson only served a little more than a year of Kennedy's term.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 25, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Any idea how far into Walker's term the show was by the time he stood down? I think he was into his second year at least during the events of season 2 but I don't recall them talking too much about preparing for his re-election campaign so it probably wasn't too far beyond that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The first two seasons each covered a year, starting at roughly the time they aired (ie, S1 aired in early 2013 and began with Walker's inauguration at the start of 2013). By that pattern, S3 would contain the early portion of election madness but not the election itself... unless they decide to accelerate things or do an outright time jump (which is possible).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jerusalem posted:

Any idea how far into Walker's term the show was by the time he stood down? I think he was into his second year at least during the events of season 2 but I don't recall them talking too much about preparing for his re-election campaign so it probably wasn't too far beyond that.

If I remember correctly, the impending mid-term election was part of the impeachment/resignation storyline and hasn't happened yet. So Frank can only run once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So that gives Frank a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 6 to achieve his goals, and then his power is gone and all that is left is the prestige of being a former President.

Like Remy said, power IS better than money, but power never lasts.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Jerusalem posted:

So that gives Frank a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 6 to achieve his goals, and then his power is gone and all that is left is the prestige of being a former President.

Like Remy said, power IS better than money, but power never lasts.

I wouldn't put it past Frank to find a way around that limitation.. How? No loving clue... But the guy is now president, by his own doing, with absolutely no vote cast in his favor. Says a lot about the man.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Name a couple a couple justices just to be safe? It's not like running 2.5 terms after a resignation/assassination has ever actually been tested constitutionally.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Get the 22nd Amendment repealed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Frank declares himself King, and Netflix out-Britishes the British House of Cards

e: In season 12 he changes his name to Targaryen and the show wraps around to be the start of Game of Thrones instead of The Walking Dead as mentioned earlier ITT

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 25, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Thought season 2 was alright, maybe a step in the wrong direction from season 1 - although Frank did show himself to be capable of loving murder in season 1, but that felt a lot more believable, even though it was un-believable. The shock of season 2 episode 1 was cool for a second but then just snapped my suspension of disbelief. Also Kate Mara is smoking hot so that sucked to watch. I honestly forget a lot of season 2 other than Kevin Spacey living out his fantasy under the guise of actingthe Frank and Meechum moment and that billionaire and Frank's plot to takeover (but I can't even remember the specifics of what the Pres did that made him have to step down), but in general I just remember kind of being very blah on the whole season.

I haven't watched any of the previews or trailers or whatever, but that said I'm now really looking forward to S3 - after not caring about it being gone for a while. Maybe because there isn't much else on TV that I currently watch or something but I can't wait.

Hope Freddy is doing alright.

Also the spoiler rule in here is retarded! :)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I thought Doug's death was unconfirmed, sort of a "Will he somehow be discovered?" thing. Can't wait to see how Frank handles this.

I just hope nothing this season comes too easily, because I started season 2 saying "He's going to be President by the end of this, isn't he?" and everything to get him there seemed to come too conveniently.

Dalael posted:

When reading this using Kevin Spacey's voice, I can totally imagine this being one of his line.

And that's one of the beauties of this show. Spacey knocks it so far out of the park you forget he's an actor.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dalael posted:

I wouldn't put it past Frank to find a way around that limitation.. How? No loving clue... But the guy is now president, by his own doing, with absolutely no vote cast in his favor. Says a lot about the man.

Run with someone as Vice President, then have the newly elected "President" resign after inauguration (though some scholars view this loophole as a a violation of the Twelfth Amendment). Alternatively, insert yourself somewhere into the line of succession and have those in front of you resign/die.

The Twenty-Second Amendment specifies that you cannot be elected President twice. It says nothing about being elevated through other means. I doubt House of Cards will go there because it pushes the bounds of plausibility, but it is possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Also the spoiler rule in here is retarded! :)

Hey, that was a mod decision when Netflix started doing this, don't look at me. :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The only more satisfactory way to do it would be to have 13 separate threads (12 of them would have super low traffic), but the rest of TVIV would probably not appreciate that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Someone said before that they wanted Frank to have issues and not run over everything so easily.

This review of Season 3 answers whether that is the case.
http://deadline.com/2015/02/house-of-cards-review-season-3-netflix-dominic-patten-1201380549/

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I just had chills imagining the end of season 3 where Claire murders Frank for political gain, as she takes over the narrative role. FROM PRISON!

EDIT: Thus ensuring a House of Cards / Orange is the New Black crossover.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What time on the 27th does this start?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Signs point to Midnight Pacific (1 AM Mountain, 2 AM Central, 3 AM Eastern).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought it went up at Midnight Eastern last year but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm staying up to marathon it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

precision posted:

I thought it went up at Midnight Eastern last year but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm staying up to marathon it.

I'm not sure about last year, but the first season definitely went up at 3am Eastern.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Arm_Fruit posted:

I just had chills imagining the end of season 3 where Claire murders Frank for political gain, as she takes over the narrative role. FROM PRISON!

Maybe Rachel can get into the prison too, with an elaborate plan tattoo'd on her chest.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

QuoProQuid posted:

Run with someone as Vice President, then have the newly elected "President" resign after inauguration (though some scholars view this loophole as a a violation of the Twelfth Amendment). Alternatively, insert yourself somewhere into the line of succession and have those in front of you resign/die.

The Twenty-Second Amendment specifies that you cannot be elected President twice. It says nothing about being elevated through other means. I doubt House of Cards will go there because it pushes the bounds of plausibility, but it is possible.

It does cover being elevated to the presidency

22nd Ammendment posted:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At this point do we really think Frank wouldn't literally orchestrate another 9/11 to stay in the White House?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

precision posted:

At this point do we really think Frank wouldn't literally orchestrate another 9/11 to stay in the White House?

House of Cards season 5 episode 5: Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I'm more expecting a "personal tragedy" to carry his approval into re-election. Possibly postmortem.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
6 more hours. There's a foot of snow on my car and no liquor store within easy walking distance. :(

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Is this officially starting at midnight Pacific time?

:smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do the seasons go up right at midnight or later in the day when they're released?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Midnight PST

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lycus posted:

Midnight PST
Goddamnit, why didn't I take off work tomorrow? :argh:

Oh well. Immediately after work, I'm coming home and not leaving the house until the whole thing is over. Ordering delivery food and such.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd love to know how much of the action in this series is based off the actions of real politicians. I seem to remember an interview where Spacey was told by some people he met on the Hill that the show hits the nail on the head.

precision posted:

"American lives are valuable...and it's my job to defend them. But Petrov? If you think he's going to be a bigger dog than I, you are sadly mistaken. I need a reason to be the alpha male. And if it means disposing of a few thousand meaningless citizens? So be it..."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The show is up.

• Locked thread