Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

rear end cobra posted:

Either this or that he becomes president. What a fucker.

Same.

EatinCake posted:

Finished it.

Also, Doug's character is brilliantly written, and I will watch this series in it's entirety to see karma destroy him.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The thing that was interesting about Doug was he gets a look at what normal happy human life looks like in some depth, even has sex with not a prostitute and has the opportunity to cash out but he turns his back on all of it for the worst addiction. Like Frank was always going to be a poo poo. Like Ribs guy said its like blaming a snake for having fangs but that's not Doug. He had a soul but he decided to sell it because he gets off on the power.

It did seem kind of excessive with Cassie though because he spends ages deciding not to kill her. Maybe he couldn't look her in the eye is all.

I forget but was he driving Rachel to the forest to kill her in season 1 or did she just misconstrue the situation and rock him from paranoia?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like I said, this season really was Doug Stamper's show. And it was pretty drat well done in that regard.

e: Changed the OP to reflect that apparently nobody cares anymore that the POTUS is a murderer :raise:

precision fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I think the whole point of the Doug thing is that he is literally addicted to Frank Underwood, the write guy even says the same thing to him. Also that was a interesting moment with the two of them on the couch.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I'm hoping this series is ramping up to an end game. I did not care for this season as much as the others. Lars was awesome as not Putin, and I liked that as soon as they were in power it all came crashing down,.

My prediction: Frank is not electable even with his policies improving things, and prior to the general election, Meechum, on the orders of Claire to secure his legacy, assassinates Frank, allowing his protege to take the election, and Claire will be the VP. I just nopticed that is a rip-off of the origninal Manchurian Candidate, but I could see the Underwoods going in that direction.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

I think half the reason why I loved this show was watching Frank being ahead of the competion and out smarting everyone ruthlessly. Watching his ruthlessness bite him in the rear end is a bit boring to watch

Couldn't agree more, I remember in season one where he ruins one guy, then goes for ribs ordering a second rack with the line "I'm feeling hungry today" before going on to ruin another person. I miss those moments.

My memory is a bit hazy though, so that might be wrong.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm hoping this series is ramping up to an end game. I did not care for this season as much as the others. Lars was awesome as not Putin, and I liked that as soon as they were in power it all came crashing down,.

My prediction: Frank is not electable even with his policies improving things, and prior to the general election, Meechum, on the orders of Claire to secure his legacy, assassinates Frank, allowing his protege to take the election, and Claire will be the VP. I just nopticed that is a rip-off of the origninal Manchurian Candidate, but I could see the Underwoods going in that direction.

There is a much better chance that Claire dies and Frank rides the wave of sympathy to easily secure the Democratic nomination. At the same time he tries to influence the Republican primary to get an easy opponent, which seems to fail until we see in the last episode that Frank planned it all along this way and get's elected as president, consolidating his power and moving on to a brighter tomorrow.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I just hope they don't use filler plots to drag this out until the ROI sours

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm hoping Gavin isn't gone and finds out that "Cassie" is missing. Too bad he gave Cashew away though.

I still think a Gavin spinoff/prequel could be a cool show.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Accretionist posted:

I just hope they don't use filler plots to drag this out until the ROI sours

I think they are already doing that. Maybe I am remembering things completely wrong but I thought this was only supposed to be three seasons.

This Season was not awful but it definitely wasn't stellar like the first two seasons.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Claire Underwood was a bad TV wife this season

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enigma89 posted:

I think they are already doing that. Maybe I am remembering things completely wrong but I thought this was only supposed to be three seasons.

The British show is only 3 seasons. This one is its own thing. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 is the final season though, because the pieces are in place for everything to go to complete poo poo in 13 episodes.

e: my bad, the UK version is 4 hour-long episodes, thought it was only 3 for some reason

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like the Doug and Cassie plot line has just been one massive waste of time from the get go. She could have disappeared at the end of season 1 and literally nothing of importance to the main plot would have changed. Like 1/3 of the total screentime has been devoted to this plot for it to basically lead nowhere and her death was one of the least dignified deaths ever put to TV. I mean seriously, death by jump cut? What happened to the show that pushed a main character in front of train on camera in season 2? How did it make any sense to give a character which we've waisted far more time on an off-screen death? gently caress off.

The america works platform was also loving ridiculous, primarily because of it already having been tried in the real-world and it decisively not working as intended. The show portrayed it like it actually created new jobs. Meanwhile, in reality the private sector basically just use similar policy to replace non-subsidised employees with subsidised which effectively creates no jobs.

The rest of the season was fine but it's pretty clear at this point that the writers have no idea where they are going with the show which is made abundantly clear with the numerous unsatisfying conclusions to plotlines both in this season and season 2. They spend so much time building up characters only for their plotlines to peter out into what is essentially a televised wet fart.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
How come Frank didn't gently caress any men this season? He should do sodomy more often. How should have made Mendoza suck his dick like The Shield

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Didn't want to read ANYTHING online, so was not sure there was going to be a season 4. The journal and the last episode made me think things were going to blow up and he would resign in disgrace.

Also, kinda thought him and Putin were gonna fist fight in the bunker, would have been cool!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

How come Frank didn't gently caress any men this season?

The writer clearly let him know that was totally an option, Frank just wasn't in the mood.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

It is also how the original House of Cards ended, more or less.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Frank literally comes across as a supervillain half the time, I have no idea how he could ever be considered a viable candidate. The venom when he said "You are entitled to nothing" I feel would be enough to sink his career forever.

One of the things I liked about the original series is that Frank was always everyone's friend, and was the last person anyone would suspect of not having their best interest at heart.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

The america works platform was also loving ridiculous, primarily because of it already having been tried in the real-world and it decisively not working as intended. The show portrayed it like it actually created new jobs. Meanwhile, in reality the private sector basically just use similar policy to replace non-subsidised employees with subsidised which effectively creates no jobs.

Yeah, the actual program details made me suspend my disbelief by force, essentially. It makes no sense. New Deal 2.0 is one thing. New Deal 2.0 + dismantling social security is just a Republican/Libertarian wet dream (just don't tell the voters). If they had slimmed it down to just being a FEMA-funded jobs program, it would have had the same plot effect and less of the :ughh:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, the actual program details made me suspend my disbelief by force, essentially. It makes no sense. New Deal 2.0 is one thing. New Deal 2.0 + dismantling social security is just a Republican/Libertarian wet dream (just don't tell the voters). If they had slimmed it down to just being a FEMA-funded jobs program, it would have had the same plot effect and less of the :ughh:

No to mention the fact that people would be violently against it - the idea that Frank could win with essentially 0% of the elderly vote whilst also isolating most democratic voters is literal fantasy. I feel like it's in there just to be another reason we go "oohhhhhh, Frank's a bad bad man!"

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Was slightly happy that Claire actually did something at the end of the finale, I don't know if I could take another show that has difficult man/captive housewife again

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

precision posted:

The writer clearly let him know that was totally an option, Frank just wasn't in the mood.

I don't care what actually happened, they should have scripted the show to have more sodomy in it. They even had Mendoza who famously gave a very convincing simulated blowjob on The Shield, but no one did any sodomy at all. Talk about a waste of talent.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Everyone guaranteed a job if they want to work is good policy. BUT, you don't cut SSA, you cut welfare.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Michael Corleone posted:

Everyone guaranteed a job if they want to work is good policy. BUT, you don't cut SSA, you cut welfare.

lmao oh okay. Glad to see you figured the whole thing out. Blew the lid off the whole thing.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Frank really ought to manufacture a big war, the best way to unite the nation :911:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No, cutting welfare wouldn't be nearly enough in order for it to be revenue neutral. Of course, cutting entitlements for a lovely version of workfare is still dumb as hell. The only way to do is for it not to be revenue neutral, but then it would be too liberal. And the show wanted it to be radically centrist.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 28, 2015

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Boatswain posted:

Frank really ought to manufacture a big war, the best way to unite the nation :911:

#ColdWarSeason4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Calico Heart posted:

Frank literally comes across as a supervillain half the time, I have no idea how he could ever be considered a viable candidate. The venom when he said "You are entitled to nothing" I feel would be enough to sink his career forever.
Right, he was supposed to be creating jobs, but the way he said it, it came off like he was enslaving America, putting all the unemployed people in concentration camps or something.

Before I started watching, I heard talk of Frank in Season 3 being more like Spacey's character in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, who's a power-hungry madman who basically wants to rule the world as a tyrant. I thought it was just dumb speculation at first, but it was kinda true at times.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
More sodomy would have been nice but I would appreciate seeing some straight/lesbian sodomy as well. There's way too much male on male sodomy on TV.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AmWorks is a dystopian hell policy, and when you see crowds of people chanting along "You are entitled to nothing" (lmao at the idea of a Democrat having a shot at nomination with THAT slogan) it signifies that the population in general is on board with dystopian hell. I don't think the show does the best job selling it, though.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, thought 'that night in the bedroom' could have turned into something very different and be the downfall.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
ep.13 Hate Frank

I've begun watching the original British House of Cards... it's so. british. Within the first 5 minutes Frank is hunting birds with a dog.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah that's the sort of thing where even if he was a Republican, the party response would be "Jesus Christ, tone it down in public, we don't want to give the game away"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Even real-life Republicans back off on entitlement-cutting when election time comes.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
"You are entitled to NOTHING" [gives jobs to literally everyone]

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Jonny Angel posted:

"You are entitled to NOTHING" [gives jobs to literally everyone]

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I don't think that Frank's rhetoric was more disingenuous or far-fetched than what you see every election?

EatinCake posted:

ep.13 Hate Frank

I've begun watching the original British House of Cards... it's so. british. Within the first 5 minutes Frank is hunting birds with a dog.

Don't you mean Francis :colbert: Mr. Urquhart be furious if you'd call him Frank.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

"You are entitled to NOTHING" [gives lovely jobs to literally everyone]

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Bad season. A bunch of middle-aged people talking about their feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It was a pretty bad season, that's true. If I was Frank Underwood I would dump his wife and marry Carmella Soprano instead since she's single now and she'll just let you do whatever

• Locked thread